Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:14   #976
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
BANG ON! Absolutely true.

But one thing I want them to alter is the method of Feedback collection. The call after the service center visit is fine, but the feedback they collect right before the billing isn't very useful. I say that because I always feel compelled to give them full 10/10 thinking they've done everything anyway. But then later I'm left with a "XYZ could've been better, but anyway..." feeling.
While we are at service quality and feedback topic:

I am not sure whether this happens with others, but whenever I have not been satisfied with their service and insisted that I would not give a good rating on the form that they give at the time of billing, the service feedback call never comes. This has happened with me 3 times. Is there a way that the TASS folks can choose which service records go for a feedback call and which don't.

Anyway off late I have ditched TASS as I found a reasonably good local mechanic who understands my car's problem better than their so called expert SAs. There is as much feedback and as much head you can bang at their service stations. But I have always been super satisfied with their tinkering and paint work (and this is across service stations) so for that.

Last edited by ambujlal : 22nd May 2013 at 12:15. Reason: rewording
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:13   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Disclaimer: Have owned a TATA (Safari or Aria for 12+ years) but am not currently a TATA Customer.
ACM, sold your Aria?
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:21   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
On the Topic of Aria and Safari Service would like to share my views:

4) Yes the method of taking customer feedback is quite silly though the intentions are good.

5) The Failure to appeal is in part due to product quality issues and also systems not being set in the right manner.

6) Yes both TATA and the Service Centre guys in general have good intentions and the idea is not to cause discomfort to the customers but in the absence of Jap methods & processes the intentions at times come to nothing.
True, the Aria/Safaris SA's are different. They have special privileges too, the service team is more responsive to them. While others cars SA's run around pleading to the service team to get their work done, the Aria SA's orders get abit higher priority.

Feedback : They're very keen to improve ways. Karl Slym himself responds to tweets. (This is the actual guy. Anand Mahindra has appointed a team, but as of now Karl himself responds.) Even TaMo gives good response and things Do seem to be happening on ground too.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-image1387927757.jpg

So the reform process is ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
While we are at service quality and feedback topic:

I am not sure whether this happens with others, but whenever I have not been satisfied with their service and insisted that I would not give a good rating on the form that they give at the time of billing, the service feedback call never comes. This has happened with me 3 times. Is there a way that the TASS folks can choose which service records go for a feedback call and which don't.
As long as they've opened & closed a job card, you SHOULD get a call a day after the service visit. Tweet them if you haven't received the feedback call. The SA's are dead scared of bad reviews / low marks in that feedback call.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd May 2013 at 14:38.
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:47   #979
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post

Anyway off late I have ditched TASS as I found a reasonably good local mechanic who understands my car's problem better than their so called expert SAs. There is as much feedback and as much head you can bang at their service stations. But I have always been super satisfied with their tinkering and paint work (and this is across service stations) so for that.
Mind sharing the details of the mechanic
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:25   #980
BHPian

I don't know who introduced this misconception about Tata Motors being reliable, because this is nothing more than misconception! Case in point are not one but two September 2010 Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor in their VX trim. One being a 4x2 done 13k kms. and the other being a 4x4 having done 31k kms. Both these vehicles were scheduled to be taken on a 7k+ kms. road trip and were handed over to the local TASC for regular and preventive maintenance. Both these vehicles spent a good week with the TASC and all regular checks were done. Voluntary oil changes were carried out for both vehicles. For the 4x4, there was a complaint that the air conditioner was in-effective and as such, the ac gas was refilled and this I am told, took care of the cooling. Bushes were changed. All-in-all, the vehicles spent a good week with the TASC.

The first breakdown happened on the 1st day of the road trip when the Cam shaft on the 4x4 broke. Thankfully, I was in a major city but even then, I had to ask my Service Advisor (and friend) to drive down from Shillong along with a few spare parts to get my problem fixed on priority at the largest TASC in Guwahati. This because the local SAs and SMs were unwilling to show an urgency to get my vehicle road worthy again. I was delayed by 8 hours but was still thankful that I was back on the road again.

By the time I was about 500 kms. into the road trip, we could feel the ac again loose its cooling on the 4x4 on which the ac gas was refilled but we decided to continue since we had already lost enough time and were behind schedule.

Somewhere around Gopalganj (small town in Bihar before UP Border), about 1000 kms from home, the clutch on the 4x2 (14k kms. on the odo) gave way. There were no TASC which could cater to passenger vehicles in this town which had not one but three TASC for Commercial Vehicles. I had to literally spend the night (from 7PM till 2AM) on the highway before Tata Motors sent me a tow van, which was nothing more than a Toyota Qualis with a nylon rope which we use to hang our clothes on! After 5 hours and 3 instances where the tow rope snipped, we reached Gorakhpur. The TASC opened at 10AM and it was discovered that they did not have the clutch plate in stock. The spare arrived at 2PM. When done, it was discovered that the clutch cylinder too would need replacement. That too was not in stock. After speaking with the spares manager and explaining my situation, they had pity on me and agreed to open a working clutch cylinder from another Tata Safari which had come there for service! Also, while the 4x2 was worked upon, I asked them if they could check the ac on the 4x4 and as expected, they too "discovered" that the ac required gas refilling! Another incident I can report here is that the SA wanted to fleece an extra 1500/- from me for this as he claimed that he got a hose pipe replaced which was not in stock! I refused and threatened to complain to his superiors and he disappeared and was not seen till I was at the TASC. Left the Gorakhpur TASC after clearing a bill of 17xxx for the 4x2 and 4x4 vehicles.

Reached Agra the next morning, already a day behind schedule, and realised that the ac on the 4x4 had again stopped working! Decided to continue to Delhi and get it checked there.

In Delhi, I was recommended a TASC at Gurgaon by a very close friend whose another close friend worked as the Manager. Here, I was told that the ac was going bad every time as the cooling coil was damaged. Got this replaced and cleared a bill of 11xxx and since then, the ac has been working well.

That's TASC for you! Not at all reliable and with zero quality control and checks.

And hey, after having owned 4 Tata vehicles since 2009 and having two top of the line Tata Safaris which were purchased on the same day, I have never ever been provided with any privileged service. If anything, the SA who is a friend comes to the rescue. I don't know what will happen if he decides to leave Tata Motors. I will by then, sell off all the Tata vehicles we have or simply stop using and driving them!

Last edited by SumitB : 22nd May 2013 at 18:28.
SumitB is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:36   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I don't know who introduced this misconception about Tata Motors being reliable, because this is nothing more than misconception!

And hey, after having owned 4 Tata vehicles since 2009 and having two top of the line Tata Safaris which were purchased on the same day, I have never ever been provided with any privileged service. If anything, the SA who is a friend comes to the rescue. I don't know what will happen if he decides to leave Tata Motors. I will by then, sell off all the Tata vehicles we have or simply stop using and driving them!

Bang On Sumit ! I feel pity seriously.

Topend trim cars, major breakdowns..that too so early into the life of the vehicle. I wonder what kind of dream is TML building that they have reliable vehicles ?
Before someone jumps on my neck No hard feelings

One should see the field reports.. that too after 6-8 months of product launch for a vehicle done at-least 20-30kms done. Then talk reliability that this didn't break that did work etc. (Let the data speak.. not only from bhp fraternity, but overall)

I think i was reading one owners thread that the quality of repair job aint done properly. His door handle is somewhat loose. Now a guy who spends 13 lacs, cant even have a job properly done at TASS. I mean c'mon

You see the problem is that being such a bureaucrat company, one good man cant change all if the mid mgrs level ppl dont cooperate to bring this change and thats the key to it.

I do hope someone smart person as Cyrus talks some sense into TML.

I know so many safari owner who have been lucky enough to find smart FNG garages ex tml/tass guys who do superior work that TASS themselves. I guess thats the only solace they have. (Talk about spending lacs of money to buy the iconic tata safari)

Still reading this ! Thnx
roadjourno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 20:47   #982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Storme being tested/evaluated by the Indian Army.
That is really something ! I'm sure with the kind of build quality of the Storme, it will outclass the existing Mahindra's of the Army (unless the under table route by others works its charms, TATA is known to shun such routes - at any cost).

I can vouch for the Storme's build and robustness - the ARIA has tons of it ! Good going TATA.
Old 29th May 2013, 22:20   #983
BHPian

What all is done in the 2nd service for storme? I Have booked my car for its 2nd service this weekend and would like to know the schedule please. Do they also change the engine oil? Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 07:26   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
What all is done in the 2nd service for storme? I Have booked my car for its 2nd service this weekend and would like to know the schedule please. Do they also change the engine oil? Thanks
1. Please check the owner's manual - all points are listed there.
2. Oil is not changed in 2nd service. It will be done at either 15000 km / 1 year - which ever is earlier.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:44   #985
BHPian

This is completely different from the conversations above but i think it fits on this thread- if not can the mods please move it to wherever appropriate.
I am essentially looking for an occasional 7 seater that can take my family (two adults and two kids-7 and 2) and my parents (in their seventies). Vehicle should have driveability and reasonable comfort and good safety features.
The only thing to tick all the boxes was the Ertiga- i had almost booked the ZXi(ie petrol- i dont do so may miles) but......... the Ertiga was never exciting. Its a car i would buy with my mind rather than my heart-if you know what i mean!!
Innova was too expensive and boring like the Ertiga.
A friend suggested looking at the Aria esp. given the price reductions- so off we went to Concorde motors at Bangalore.
Saw the Aria under a tent (shop under renovation) and was very unimpressed with the base version (which is the only thing i could afford).
Was leaving when i casually enquired about the Safari Storme- always loved its looks!
The pricing for the base model comes to approx. 13L on the road- expensive but worth a test drive.
Took it on a TD from opp. Christs College to Electronics City via the elevated toll road-WOW.
Fabulous road presence- at one stage i had an ertiga and Innova next to me and both looked like toys.
Very comfortable seating and incredible drivability- the car behaves more like a supercharged teenyboppers car than a 2000 kg beast. Driving on the elevated toll road was a an absolute joy.
Also handled very easily in 7PM Bangalore traffic across Madivala and St Johns crossing (Bangaloreans will know how bad that is).
BUT- for me the jump seats in the back are an absolute no-no. I cannot think of seating my kids in that on an intercity journey. The lack of airbags is another big oversight.
I asked the dealer if they could do a front facing 3rd row and according to him the only option is to go after market- which will also void the warranty.
The absence of a 3rd row seems to be a big issue across this thread- is Tata listening. If they are able to give that as an option- the Storme will become serious competition for the XUV.
I read the Tata dealers comment on this as an emphatic NO saying it wouldnt be an SUV if they did that- really find that hard to stomach that a company can be so insensitive to consumers needs- they really should have a front facing as an option.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:10   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Stock Lights for night drives:

After a long drive last evening, I am thinking of the following settings:

City Use:
Keep levelling switch @ 1. Use only Low beam

Highway:
Keep leveling switch @ 3. Use both HB & LB.

Hopefully this combination will help avoid the need for aux lights.

The stock lamps by themselves are quite good, but Highbeams of on-coming vehicles does cause problems.
(Not that aux lamps can solve that part).

Last edited by condor : 30th May 2013 at 17:10. Reason: Stock Lights for night drives:
Old 30th May 2013, 17:16   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
The absence of a 3rd row seems to be a big issue across this thread- is Tata listening.
IMO, if you want a front facing 3rd row, then you really need a people mover, and you have options there too.

You may argue that the competition has such a configurtion. If 7 seats is what you will use regularly, then the competiton does have it.

This is a point that TML would not have missed.

The Aria is available for that, and is very comfortable too.

Mods: separate post, since this post & OP's post are not part of the Storme discussion
Old 30th May 2013, 18:25   #988
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised to see 2 brand white Stormes in my neighborhood. According to me white Storme does not have that oomph factor like 2.2 VTT Safari
Old 30th May 2013, 18:34   #989
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stock Lights for night drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
After a long drive last evening, I am thinking of the following settings:

City Use:
Keep levelling switch @ 1. Use only Low beam

Highway:
Keep leveling switch @ 3. Use both HB & LB.

Hopefully this combination will help avoid the need for aux lights.

The stock lamps by themselves are quite good, but Highbeams of on-coming vehicles does cause problems.
(Not that aux lamps can solve that part).
Please explain Condor. I am all ears where anything to do with headlights is concerned!

My lights are nicely cleanly focused now, but I still do wish they would fall farther down along the road than they do now.

I normally drive solo. And my level setting is at "0"

As I understand it, with more people climbing on, the rear will go down and as a result the light will go up and fall farther down the road.

So 1, 2, and 3 are to bring it back in closer.

Wish there was a similar 3 settings to push it out farther as well , with "0" being the neutral osition in center.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:45   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
........I am essentially looking for an occasional 7 seater that can take my family (two adults and two kids-7 and 2) and my parents (in their seventies). Vehicle should have driveability and reasonable comfort and good safety features. ........
I am also in the same situation. Done TD for Storme, though I like the vehicle, but the steering wheel touching my knees is a point of concern specially in some unforeseen accident scenarios.
After the recent introduction H series Xylo, I took a TD and I felt it is acceptable and only problem is parents will have a tough time for getting in and out..!! Ertigas, Enjoys are out of contest due to size factor and Innova is way beyond my budget

Waiting for some festival occassion so that there will be some better discount and hope Tata will look in to the steering wheel issue, 2 DIN ICE etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks