Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Fantastic detailed review Tanveer!

A big thank you to you and the Team BHP team for giving us this amazingly professional report with great photographs too.

Some points I wanted clarity on

1) The brochure says the LX has height adjustable driver seat, yet your report says it does not?

2) I remember one of the mags also commenting that the Storme's seats had less under thigh support than the old Safari seats. Could the reason be that which you have pointed out - i.e. the seat sloping forward on increasing the height, or was that a glitch on the car you tested alone. I ask because the side profile makes it look extremely weird and uncomfortable(?).

3) Can the arm rests and the wash and wipe be fitted later on at the dealership (to the LX)? I ask because like me, you have mentioned these as some things you would specifically miss.

4) You (and some others too) say that price for price the base version of the Aria would have more bells and whistles than the LX Storme, yet from what I picked up from the two brochures, the only glaring things were a dual A/C and front facing 3rd row in favor of the Aria (Pure LX), while the biggest advantage for the Storme LX would be the ABS/EBD which the corresponding Aria does not have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2958199

5) The automatic door unlock and fuel cut off feature in all versions of the Storme was a welcome additional feature mentioned by you not mentioned in the brochure (or is it available only for the higher variants)?

6) Has anyone tried retro-fitting the 3rd row front facing folding seats of either Innova or Pajero on to the Safari? Just asking in case the experienced Safari owners here know .....

Once again, thanks a ton bro for the effort! Five stars indeed!!!
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:32   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Fantastic detailed review Tanveer!

A big thank you to you and the Team BHP team for giving us this amazingly professional report with great photographs too.

Some points I wanted clarity on

1) The brochure says the LX has height adjustable driver seat, yet your report says it does not?
No it does not. Height adjustable seat comes in from EX

http://tatasafari.com/assets/downloa...e_brochure.pdf
Quote:
2) I remember one of the mags also commenting that the Storme's seats had less under thigh support than the old Safari seats. Could the reason be that which you have pointed out - i.e. the seat sloping forward on increasing the height, or was that a glitch on the car you tested alone. I ask because the side profile makes it look extremely weird and uncomfortable(?).
Yes, the storme seats are harder. when I took the drivers seat, I was worried. However, over 300kms, I came to realize, that the seat is comfortable,though a lower seat would have been a better bet.
Only caveat. If you are short, and need to raise the seat, you lose under thigh support.
That said, even in my 2.2, only after I went for the padded seat covers, I could extract maximum from the seats.
So in one line, older seat was better, but this one aint bad, just not "as good" as the old safari. Over time, you do not even notice the difference. Though I agree, it does make a poor first impression. (PS: I am 6'2" in height)
Quote:
3) Can the arm rests and the wash and wipe be fitted later on at the dealership (to the LX)? I ask because like me, you have mentioned these as some things you would specifically miss.
Arm rests should be easy, however, I am not too sure about rear wash wipe.

Quote:
4) You (and some others too) say that price for price the base version of the Aria would have more bells and whistles than the LX Storme, yet from what I picked up from the two brochures, the only glaring things were a dual A/C and front facing 3rd row in favor of the Aria (Pure LX), while the biggest advantage for the Storme LX would be the ABS/EBD which the corresponding Aria does not have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2958199
Actually, Pure LX is not what I was talking about. With huge discounts, the next variant of Aria comes to around 10L ex showroom. there is even a thread for the same.

Quote:
5) The automatic door unlock and fuel cut off feature in all versions of the Storme was a welcome additional feature mentioned by you not mentioned in the brochure (or is it available only for the higher variants)?
From the safari web page
That minimizes injury to driver, limits fuel leakage and ensures passengers safety in the event on a collision. Certified as per 74/297EEC (European regulation)

Quote:
6) Has anyone tried retro-fitting the 3rd row front facing folding seats of either Innova or Pajero on to the Safari? Just asking in case the experienced Safari owners here know .....
Space is very limited. You can do it, but it won't be practical
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:48   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes of course.

Refer these threads for more info about the modification you speak of -

One
Two

Last edited by Dry Ice : 3rd December 2012 at 14:50.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

A very good review Tanveer, but somewhat felt disappointed with the Storme. Thought they would go a good journey in trying their best to respond to XUV which does not seem to be the case here. Felt that a few basic features like Climate Control/MID missing which are a must have these days at that price bracket.
The dashboard is not pleasing/welcome sight to behold when you spend a million of those Gandhis.

Not trying to be critical of your excellent review, why would a buyer keep in mind that he is driving a 2 tonne vehicle? If a prospective buyer is not happy with its road going behavior then they should opt out.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:58   #95
BHPian

Thanks for the amazing review Tanveer. TBHP provides absolutely detailed reviews every time.

The improvement are welcome. However, this can not be considered a 2013 product. I really can't believe that TATA retained the old body shell. Would not be surprised if majority of people consider this as only a face-lift.

Not much information shared about real world passenger safety/crash test results. Airbags, ABS etc are fine but what about general structural rigidity? One could add the recently launched Quanto also to this list. I remember seeing the Mahindra Scorpio faring poorly in a EURO car crash test. Have seen a couple of moderate speed Safari accidents in the past. The body just tore apart. The A and B pillars just folded like paper. Similar is the case with the SUMO. Seen far too many families meet tragic ends in these vehicles on our roads.

The government should bring in new safety guideline for auto manufacturers.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:10   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Not trying to be critical of your excellent review, why would a buyer keep in mind that he is driving a 2 tonne vehicle? If a prospective buyer is not happy with its road going behavior then they should opt out.
Well that is true. As mentioned in the review, the game has moved on. The scorpio is not the only competitor. Tata is flogging this vehicle for too long
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fuel tank capacity has been reduced to 55 liters (from the earlier 65 liters). Too small for a touring SUV and the same as sedans like the VW Vento. Further, the tank has moved toward the center of the vehicle, is placed very low and has no protection.
Tanveer & other experts, how can one save the low lying unprotected tank from hits on & off road.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:28   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tanveer & other experts, how can one save the low lying unprotected tank from hits on & off road.

Thanks in advance
You have to know the terrain, and position your vehicle in such a way as to avoid hitting critical parts. No other way.
that said, you would encounter few on road scenarios where you would exhaust the 200mm GC of the vehicle.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:28   #99
BHPian

I believe STORME is a good vehicle because in one of the travelogue Tanveer said
"I guess I will buy something which lasts 5 years for 10L, and keep changing. The WE did not last even a day(broke down on the day of delivery), so you know what manufacturer I am not buying".
but now it is
"The VX 4x4 is very expensive. Considering that the white elephant may go for 5-6L only, it means I have to put in 9L+ if I have to get the storme 4x4.
So I really do not know.
However, after driving the storme, I cannot buy the scorpio 4x4(my original plan).
Wish the LX 4x4 was on the cards, it would have been a much easier decision."

Last edited by i.1979 : 3rd December 2012 at 19:40.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:18   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
I believe STORME is a good vehicle because in one of the travelogue Tanveer said
"I guess I will buy something which lasts 5 years for 10L, and keep changing. The WE did not last even a day(broke down on the day of delivery), so you know what manufacturer I am not buying".
but now it is
"The VX 4x4 is very expensive. Considering that the white elephant may go for 5-6L only, it means I have to put in 9L+ if I have to get the storme 4x4.
So I really do not know.
However, after driving the storme, I cannot buy the scorpio 4x4(my original plan).
Wish the LX 4x4 was on the cards, it would have been a much easier decision."
Yes the Storme is indeed a better vehicle than the outgoing, and a better handler than a scorpio, and offers superior ride quality.
Bit it a strong contender on my buy list because my max budget is around 13-14L.
There is no proper 4x4 vehicle in the market right now with a diesel engine I can buy for this price. This is why storme is in the race.
If there were SUVs by other manufacturers like ford and renault with 4x4 capability in 10-12L bracket, I wouldn't need to choose between the devil and deep sea (Scorpio and Safari).

10 years ago I bought my 2002 indica, not because it was a good vehicle, but because it was the only diesel I could afford.

In 2008 I bought the Tata safari 4x4, because it was the only 4x4 I could afford.

I am praying, that in 2013, I do not buy a vehicle because it is the only vehicle I can afford, but because it fit my requirement(reliability, and acceptable ride and handling characteristics).

I frankly have no idea about the reliability of the storme, I am seriously hoping its better
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:35   #101
Team-BHP Support

Most have already said as to how the review was And bet few thought you ran away with it to Leh

The back to back comparison with the current Safari takes the cake.

Quote:
Yes the Storme is indeed a better vehicle than the outgoing, and a better handler than a scorpio, and offers superior ride quality.
Maybe the Scorpio 4X4 shall handle as well if not better than the Storme. Courtesy :- Torsion bar mounted as opposed to coil sprung 4X2 option.

I would wait for the new Scorpio to arrive if I wasn't sold on the Storme's looks (hard to resist)

The gearing is the same? 90 @ 2,000 revs?

# Nice to see fog-lamps actually working.

# Still a bye-pass for fuel filler cap? They know it'll play dirty

# Missing under-hood lamp & if you don't 've a flash-light as well? Well...

#That gear lever's faux leather shall be cut open by rats again & they can get inside the cabin or the opposite

# And no one mentions about the missing DVD screens inserted (in the erstwhile) Safari 2.2 VX.

# The driver side door's panel gap (wrt to front fender) is same to same all across.
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:12   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe the Scorpio 4X4 shall handle as well if not better than the Storme. Courtesy :- Torsion bar mounted as opposed to coil sprung 4X2 option.
I have been ferried in a 4x4 scorpio, and its in the league of the old safari. Storme takes the game ahead of the scorpio on the handling/ride quality front.
Quote:
I would wait for the new Scorpio to arrive if I wasn't sold on the Storme's looks (hard to resist)
Same here. Though I am a fan of the TCIC loos the most

Quote:
The gearing is the same? 90 @ 2,000 revs?
Yes and no, some gears are same, some are not, here is a side by side
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-izmjbzntl.jpg

Quote:
# Nice to see fog-lamps actually working.
A pleasant surprise. Infact, head lamps are the best part of the vehicle. I think its one of the few parts which have been properly engineered with thorough testing. My salute to whoever designed those.
Quote:
# Still a bye-pass for fuel filler cap? They know it'll play dirty
I don't think they would know there is a bypass. They took the old shell, and whatever came with it
Quote:
# Missing under-hood lamp & if you don't 've a flash-light as well? Well...
Wait until morning, Nights are for sleeping anyways
Quote:
#That gear lever's faux leather shall be cut open by rats again & they can get inside the cabin or the opposite
You do not need a rat to cut that open.
Quote:
# And no one mentions about the missing DVD screens inserted (in the erstwhile) Safari 2.2 VX.
Did they not discontinue it a while back. Sorry, missed that. My EX had no such thing
Quote:
# The driver side door's panel gap (wrt to front fender) is same to same all across.
But the bonnet pannel gap looks misaligned. That said, from a functional POV, its not going to give much trouble.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:24   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been ferried in a 4x4 scorpio, and its in the league of the old safari. Storme takes the game ahead of the scorpio on the handling/ride quality front.
I shall go by what you say

Quote:
A pleasant surprise. Infact, head lamps are the best part of the vehicle. I think its one of the few parts which have been properly engineered with thorough testing. My salute to whoever designed those.
It was pretty much evident from the picture.

Quote:
Wait until morning, Nights are for sleeping anyways

Quote:
You do not need a rat to cut that open.
Of course not, but is pretty flimsy (soft)

Quote:
Did they not discontinue it a while back. Sorry, missed that. My EX had no such thing
They brought the GX with all features save for the DVD player & screen.

Quote:
But the bonnet panel gap looks misaligned. That said, from a functional POV, its not going to give much trouble.
Bonnet too appears same to same (the alignment that is)
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:07   #104

Thanks for the very nice and detailed review, tsk.

One question - do you think the roof mounted ac is a must have given that there is a rear air con as well? The lx version does not have one and was wondering if that would one of the potential deal breaker in going for LX.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Duster -> Storme -> XUV -> Scorpio
In terms of ride comfort, the XUV and Storme are very close. XUV is a little stiffer and jiggly at slow speeds.
Since XUV is monocoque,it is expected to give better (car like) ride comfort. If you say, ladder rame (truck like) Storme rides better than XUV, either Tata designers have done an excellent job or XUV desingers have done a poor job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks