Rajeev,

This "Explorer" version is specially targeted at you . Please do the needful

Cheers,
Aditya
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 19:03   #1052
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Is this the 2DIN system we are talking about? Would this be available across variants or just in VX or explorer edition?

[Image courtesy IAB]
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormeexplorereditioninterior.jpg  

Old 19th June 2013, 19:48   #1053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Is this the 2DIN system we are talking about? Would this be available across variants or just in VX or explorer edition?
I had been to the local TML dealership yesterday and I was told that the VXs being shipped out of the factory have the 2DIN system as shown in the pic by IAB, however, the staff there were not aware of the Explorer edition.

Coming to the 2DIN unit, it looks like it is not placed at an ideal spot since it could easily foul with the gear lever when shifting gears, and its visibility to the driver too would be compromised due to its low positioning.
It needs to be seen in person for further comments.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 20:19   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
..its visibility to the driver too would be compromised due to its low positioning..
I dont think it is that bad. I have placed my MMI GPS/PND in the cup-holders below the HU, and I have managed. The position as seen in the pic above is quite convenient.

NOte:
1. I do not say it is a Good position.
2. I have not commented on the positional relationship with the gear lever. But if it had caused problems, then I think TML would not have placed it there as seen in the pic.

Anyway, the driver shouldnot be watching movies, should he ?

Last edited by condor : 19th June 2013 at 20:20.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:54   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
2. I have not commented on the positional relationship with the gear lever. But if it had caused problems, then I think TML would not have placed it there as seen in the pic.
LOL. What world are you talking about. This is the same TML that made a Tata safari where you could not eject CD from the Alpine HU unless you were in 4th, 2nd or reverse gear!
And if you decided to get a pen drive system fitted, you could only do with micro pen drivers as anything bigger would be hit by the gear lever while in 5th gear!
And you know what really takes the cake. If you are charging your mobile phone using a standard nokia charger, your charger would be ruined in 2-3 months due to repeated hits by the gear lever while engaging first.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 11:15   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What world are you talking about.
Just a small feedback from a current Storme user

Quote:
This is the same TML that made a Tata safari where you could not eject CD from the Alpine HU unless you were in 4th, 2nd or reverse gear!
Was /must be have been applicable to the Safari.

Remember, the gear lever is now shorter.

Quote:
And if you decided to get a pen drive system fitted, you could only do with micro pen drivers as anything bigger would be hit by the gear lever while in 5th gear!
As a current Storme user, I find that I can eject / insert CD's without any problems; and neither does the Pendrive foul the movement of the gear lever in, 1, 3, or 5.
I use regular pendrives.

Quote:
And you know what really takes the cake. If you are charging your mobile phone using a standard nokia charger, your charger would be ruined in 2-3 months due to repeated hits by the gear lever while engaging first.
Must be a problem with the placement of the charger socket in the old Safari. The socket is now between the front seats. I am using chargers of 2 different makes, and the chargers do not interfere with the movement of the gear lever.

Last edited by condor : 20th June 2013 at 11:29.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 12:31   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post

[Image courtesy IAB]
Sadly its still the aftermarket like fit. I was expecting an in-dash system. I hope that it supports GPS and reverse camera.

As of now the local dealer have no idea about it. I told him that I am delaying my booking for this. Hopefully they will now find out about this this new mystery

Last edited by rkbharat : 20th June 2013 at 12:36.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:00   #1058
BHPian

Here are the details about explorer edition.
A little disappointing though. I was expecting something similar to the mountain rescue version
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/06/t...nr-56000-82815
Old 20th June 2013, 13:11   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Condor, Tanveer was being satirical of Tata Motors whose engineering or afterthought is so pathetic that

1) in the Safari, they placed the HU in a position where you could not eject the CD or connect a USB.
2) The 12v socket was placed so close to the gear shift, that it fouled in many cases.

So it is not surprising that the after market 2DIN HU being shown now also is equally pathetically designed, even though it does not foul with anything.. The whole purpose of having a large screen is lost IMO.

I'm curious to know what happened to the In-Dash 2DIN unit that was seen on some pictures of either the Geneva or some other auto show..

IMO, the 2DIN unit is more required for navigation, easy operation of the audio/phone, and reverse camera than watching movies. So a proper In Dash unit is more appropriate.

What I would do is to remove the screen from the HU and mount it in the cubby hole ontop of the dash. Use the slider mechanism so that it can sit flush inside the lid.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 13:12   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Just a small feedback from a current Storme user
Oh, so you did finally take the plunge! Didn't see your ownership thread, is it in the making? Some cool pics?
Old 20th June 2013, 13:14   #1061
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Aria too had a similar issue where in if one placed a pendrive in the USB socket a cover that covered it and the 12V electric socket area would not close and hence the pop out cup holder tray and the mobile mat below the cover were rendered useless. This has been modified in the Aria shown in shows abroad with the usb drive socket kept outside this flip open cover.

The 2 Din unit in the Strome seems fine and with the shorter Gear Stick it should not be a problem. Also it looks like it will infact have better visibility than the previous 1 din unit.

On the topic of ergonomics though a 6' guy like me with the seat at the lowest and the steering wheel at the highest still cannot see the top of the instrument cluster and the speeds 80-120 get cut out by the steering wheel. Also the Aria Seat belt does not fit well on well nourished guys while it is quite fine on the Storme. The ergonomics department is surely week at TATA.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:17   #1062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
On the topic of ergonomics though a 6' guy like me with the seat at the lowest and the steering wheel at the highest still cannot see the top of the instrument cluster and the speeds 80-120 get cut out by the steering wheel. Also the Aria Seat belt does not fit well on well nourished guys while it is quite fine on the Storme. The ergonomics department is surely week at TATA.
I agree.

If this was a detective forum, we could say -
1. The cabin designer at ARIA team is
a. at least 7 feet tall
b. pretty lean and fit in build

2. The cabin designer at Storme team
a. wears a XXXL size T-shirt
b. has a neck similar to the maintenance arm on the space shuttle which can be adjusted to look at the new touch HU.
Oh..well I already said it. Sorry mods.

Okay, sorry for the OT, but no HU controls on the steering wheel itself still? Now come on. Do they know that their Vista TDi LX also gets them as standard? The Storme costs ~12L OTR. At least a few rupees should be going to the cabin and dash design?

IMO that new HU isn't placed too well. Yes it will work without hitting the gear lever...but it was much better placed even in my Omni's dashboard...
Old 20th June 2013, 15:38   #1063
Senior - BHPian

The only thing I like from the 56,000 rupee kit (#1) is the nudge guard. It kind of neutralizes the Storme's "smiley" as well.

Wonder if they would sell it separately and for how much.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormeexploreredition.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 20th June 2013 at 16:00.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:01   #1064
BHPian

@ebonho I went to Concorde in Bangalore to enquire about accessories and the guy told me that they were expecting them next week. The system should be priced close to 35K and no buy back for our alpine is there as an option. Also he said apart from this only the nudge guard is coming in at around 10K. I might also go for the judge guard but don't think it will offer much protection.
Btw, has anyone got the rear bull guard installed? I want to get it done by feel that it will hide the exhausts and also spoil the looks.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:36   #1065
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nudge Guard will only further reduce the front clearance (GC) and hit more stuff that one would normally not hit from the front of the vehicle. Also will reduce the approach angle a fair bit. It also does not come with the Fog lights of the metal variant.

In a lot of ways is a bit like the Fortuner front nudge guard a good bit of style but really no go. I like the sticker job and it should even be replicable outside if not available officially - which it should be if one pesters the TATA Service guys enough.

The two did is definitely a big improvement over the single DIN but I guess it should come with the reverse camera for it to be worthwhile.

They should have got in a model with MYI satnav and it would have been easier to overlook the fact that it is not really an integrated unit with no steering controls.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks