Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 13:33   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I got my Gear Lock installed at the dealer on the day of the purchase; it carries the same one that they fit into the safari so don't know why the SA is replying in the negative! I got mine from Concorde motors.
Rahul
Thanks, so basically its possible, I will push them now. is that pin type lock or U shape one?
Old 30th July 2013, 13:59   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Planning to fit the below from TASS. All costs are pre negotiation. Suggestions are welcome

1) Roots horn. There are 2 horns that are come in this set. these are the chrome finished ones that are mostly fitted onto the bull bars in most Boleros/Scorpios/Safaris. supposedly very loud - so have asked for a switch to changeover to the stock horn ( which is very docile ) - Cost Rs1800

2) Sun film ( sorry but unavoidable in Chennai ) - Garware - Rs1700

3) Bumper/Mirror/Door protection strips - TASS showed a product from Wuerth India which is a transparent strip and hence it will gel with the car colour. - Rs999

4) Reverse parking sensors - Rs2900 for beep version and Rs4500 for the one with a video option in the mirror - havent decided on this yet. Might drive the truck for some time to check whether i really need such parking aids or not

5) Wuerth under chassis anti rust treatment - Rs5500 - is this recommended or can be avoided ? Does the factory do any anti rust treatment ? this treatment apparently also gives some sound deadening benefit..

Apart from this will be going for after market alloys. 7J is what I am looking at. Also tempted to upsize to 255/65/16 but will this definetly void the warranty ?
Old 30th July 2013, 14:07   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thanks, so basically its possible, I will push them now. is that pin type lock or U shape one?
It's a U shape one and is a Tata genuine accessory. Also I was told the pin types can't fit SUV's.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 14:15   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Planning to fit the below from TASS. All costs are pre negotiation. Suggestions are welcome

1) Roots horn. There are 2 horns that are come in this set. these are the chrome finished ones that are mostly fitted onto the bull bars in most Boleros/Scorpios/Safaris. supposedly very loud - so have asked for a switch to changeover to the stock horn ( which is very docile ) - Cost Rs1800

2) Sun film ( sorry but unavoidable in Chennai ) - Garware - Rs1700

3) Bumper/Mirror/Door protection strips - TASS showed a product from Wuerth India which is a transparent strip and hence it will gel with the car colour. - Rs999

4) Reverse parking sensors - Rs2900 for beep version and Rs4500 for the one with a video option in the mirror - havent decided on this yet. Might drive the truck for some time to check whether i really need such parking aids or not

5) Wuerth under chassis anti rust treatment - Rs5500 - is this recommended or can be avoided ? Does the factory do any anti rust treatment ? this treatment apparently also gives some sound deadening benefit..

Apart from this will be going for after market alloys. 7J is what I am looking at. Also tempted to upsize to 255/65/16 but will this definetly void the warranty ?
My 2 cents:

1. I find the horn to be sufficient; also I support the no honking groups so am against loud ones
2. The cops are increasingly going after cars with tints no matter how light they are, may be you should put the nets which are also effective against the heat
3. Bumper strips is a good idea and cost seems fine
4. IMHO you definitely need reverse parking sensors. I am making do with he beep ones as find the mirror ones useless
5. Definitely a must do. I don't think the factory does anything around this. Also I don't think it contributes to sound deadening.
6. 255 will definitely be an overkill also considering that the wheel well ain't as deep as safari dicor. Also more than warranty it's your piece of mind that might go for a toss with frequent trips for alignment and balancing.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 14:23   #1340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
6. 255 will definitely be an overkill also considering that the wheel well ain't as deep as safari dicor. Also more than warranty it's your piece of mind that might go for a toss with frequent trips for alignment and balancing.
Listen to this advice. Few thousand kms from now there is a good chance that you will run into alignment issues, if you are using the vehicle on rough roads. Even if the tires are not the cause, the service center will have the right to deny warranty, and then they will experiment this and experiment that. So stick to 235/70R16 tires, and do not get wider tires.
Alignment is the Achillis heel of Tata. The old safari was a total train wreck when it came to holding its alignment, and almost every Aria(new or old) I have seen at various service centers has some alignment issues. Since its the same platform, my hope is not too high.
So I advice all Storme buyers not to do anything to tire size as this will cause trouble later. Of course, few people never have alignment issues, but why give the devil a chance.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 15:45   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your feedback. I just went to the TASS to check on the measurements for stock alloy alignment. This is the first time I am stepping into a TASS. met the CRM and he was quite poorly informed on the AMC packages. Asked him for the alignment settings and he told me that every one at TASS is busy with some CRM activities and so he can share it when i come for first service ( this was after i told him that i will be changing to alloys straight from the showroom ). Reminded him of this again and asked him if he can just walk across to the alignment computer and share it - but he was adamant and said he will share it before i take delivery ! Anyway i hope this is just a isolated incident and nothing to worry about on how things will shape up once i have to go there for

Oh by the way he was not aware of the new service initiatives that are being discussed elsewhere in the forum. Maybe TML have not yet launched this in Chennai ? I really wish TML did the RM concept like M&M has.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:42   #1342
Distinguished - BHPian

As TSK mentioned, please stick to stock size of tyres.
7J should be fine, though.
Quote:
1) Roots horn. There are 2 horns that are come in this set.
OE horns are good enough. They sound nice & a little different from other vehicle horns.

Quote:
Details, please.

Quote:
I find stock damping to be good.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:05   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Condorji - I cant find the Wuerth website carrying much details. The product I mentioned is just like the conventional black bumper strips - only difference being, it is completely transparent, of much better quality and comes as a set of pieces ( dont recall how many ) but it covers 4 for the 2 bumpers, 2 for the wing mirrors and I think 1 each for the doors as well

Last edited by narayan : 30th July 2013 at 18:08.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:09   #1344
Distinguished - BHPian

@Narayan, any pics at all ?
I am looking for something to protect the door frame, bottom edge - near the place where the scuff plates are put in .
Old 30th July 2013, 18:51   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Can guys please share their audio settings. trying with trial and error, but am tone deaf, so was hoping for some audiophile inputs.

Increased Bass to +7. Then Subwoofer to +12. Like it. Geting mild vibrations with the beat, which I suppose is the max this system and speakers can produce.
Old 30th July 2013, 19:35   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Narayan, I wouldn't suggest upsizing the tyre. I am having alignment issues with my Storme and the first question the TML engineer asked was have you upsized the tyres, next question was where did you put the alloys from and why have you put Michelin. He got a piece of my mind as I had checked with the sales guy before changing to Michelin and the alloys were the stock VX ones. My vehicle is at the service center today, post alignment at Madhu's it again started pulling to the left. Had I upsized the tyre, it would have been a difficult task to get TML to fix the issue.
Old 30th July 2013, 22:31   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
Narayan, I wouldn't suggest upsizing the tyre. I am having alignment issues with my Storme and the first question the TML engineer asked was have you upsized the tyres, next question was where did you put the alloys from and why have you put Michelin. He got a piece of my mind as I had checked with the sales guy before changing to Michelin and the alloys were the stock VX ones. My vehicle is at the service center today, post alignment at Madhu's it again started pulling to the left. Had I upsized the tyre, it would have been a difficult task to get TML to fix the issue.
I'm definetly not upsizing the tyres but you seem to have this issue despite using stock specs - that worries me !
Old 30th July 2013, 22:48   #1348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can guys please share their audio settings. trying with trial and error, but am tone deaf, so was hoping for some audiophile inputs.

Increased Bass to +7. Then Subwoofer to +12. Like it. Geting mild vibrations with the beat, which I suppose is the max this system and speakers can produce.
Are you still on OE speakers, or have you upgraded them yet ? (sorry if I have missed an earlier update from you).

Increasing Bass should help,
but Sub-woofer setting will not do anything unless a sub is connected.

The HU is quite good, but is limited by the OE speakers.

Of course, so substitute to having an amp driving the front components + a sub. The rear co-axials can go directly from the HU.

Btw, the vehicle has a set of tweeters, but there is no cross-over to drive them !!
(At least I didnt find one in my EX)
Old 30th July 2013, 22:51   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
why have you put Michelin. He got a piece of my mind as I had checked with the sales guy before changing to Michelin.
Changing to a particular brand of tyre has got nothing to do with warranty as long as the size remains the same. I see you are facing this problem and not getting a solution.Might I suggest you to try any other TASS dealer in your city and specifically tell them that you are bringing the vehicle because of this problem and have made several attempts at the other dealer to get it rectified.
This comes from my experience with the service stations in Jaipur. My storme used to have a noise with vibration from gear stick, and even after complaining 2-3 times it didn't get rectified. I took it to a different dealer and told them the issue, I found there response better and my problem got solved.
In about 15 days the noise came back. I again took it to the new dealer, this time they kept my UFO for 3 days and showed it to TATA engineers twice in that duration and rectified the problem. Since then I am happy with my car and the silence in the cabin!
Old 31st July 2013, 08:38   #1350
BHPian

Any suggestion on how to fix the aux lights ?
  1. fabricate a small bracket fix it to number plate ?
  2. Go in for nudge gaurd which can hold the lights ?
I going in for hella 3003 .

Last edited by Fortuner71 : 31st July 2013 at 08:39. Reason: correct spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks