Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 18:00   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It took them over 3 years to bring out these versions. Expecting Tata to do something within 2-3 months is like expecting an elephant to do an headstand. EDIT: Not a valid metaphor - even elephants can be trained to do headstands, given time.

We've heard rumours about their products before - its best not to expect anything from them. That way, there is a slim chance that you may even be pleasantly surprised when they do bring in changes once in a decade.

Look at the stuff on Luke's first pre-launch drive thread - those jokers apparently took feedback from real users, and released the same old vehicle after a year in which they apparently couldnt incorporate even the most minor changes.

Tata Motors is stuck in rigor mortis - do not expect any reaction from them.
Fully agree with you. I never intended to create a perception that TML works on customer feedback in like 2-3 months

I was more trying to convey that the Storme not turning out to be a sales hit will trigger a strip tease a-la Aria. Anyway let me not comment any further and draw the ire of the many TML lovers here in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
At what speeds did you change the gears ?

From my TD, I found power delivery to be very linear. I suspect that you (normally) change gears early, to try & maximize FE
Ditto - I too noticed the power delivery was very linear and acceleration was quite impressive for its bulk. Gear shift was positive all though not in the league of the Aria. There was also a significant vibration in the gear lever and in an Lx variant without a arm rest, the driver better figure out nice place to park his left hand when not shifting

Last edited by narayan : 21st January 2013 at 18:28.
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:21   #467
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Storme last week at Kulathungal Motors at Trivandrum.
  • Is better built, for example, joints near rear door entry
  • gaps on dash/indicator stick etc are history
  • the rubber beading which covers headlight stick etc looks of good quality and firm.
  • There is a BIG den below the AC/stereo to keep cans. Wish this was used to put a 2 DIN
  • Doors closed with a neat sound and with less effort. Cool
  • Dont like those alloys :(
  • The Aria was nearby, so, comparing to that, built quality on Aria is better
  • I didnt drive, but played with gears, I think I felt it has some issue when I tried to put reverse once.
  • clutch is super light
  • Door now takes big bottle. Good!
  • Rear felt more spacious Maybe the color, unbulkiness look of seats?
  • The overhead AC unit looks good.
  • Steering looked smaller a bit.
jkdas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:04   #468
AWD
BHPian

Have been keeping track of this thread since long. A question pops out in mind everytime I visit this thread. Other things apart, how is the reliability & ownership experience going to be compared to old Safari ? Has Tata managed to deliver a niggle free vehicle or the owners will still be making frequent trips to the garage ?

Also read, a cheaper variant "Lx" is going to be introduced at ~8.5L. I could consider this vehicle for myself if Tata has managed to do what's stated in the 1st. part of this post!

What sort of Warranty is Tata offering on Storme ? I'll be happy if its 4 yrs.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:35   #469
BHPian

Tata is providing 3 years/1 lac kilometre warranty and in case you want extended warranty you have to shell out 7000 inr for 1 year extended warranty which imho is worth the money spent.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:24   #470
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Lx today. The interiors are simply awesome.

1) The black/beige combo on the dash is really good with the black being a really deep/dark black covering the entire top portion of the dash

2) Steering is thankfully fully black !

3) There are 2 types of panels used. Brushed aluminium and Java Black. The latter is better but still overall it looks better than the Wenge wood finish in the higher variants

4) Fabric seat is also of high quality with a mix of beige + black ( complete black would have been ideal but this still looks good )

The steel rims are better than the ordinary ones in the Safari Lx. But is there a way to enhance the "J" spec of the rims to mount fatter tyres ? That would be a good VFM option to avoid alloy upgrades.. ( Am I already talking as if I have booked one ? no not yet ! )
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:34   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
2) Steering is thankfully fully black !
The EX has brushed aluminium and black.

Quote:
3) There are 2 types of panels used. Brushed aluminium and Java Black. The latter is better but still overall it looks better than the Wenge wood finish in the higher variants
I think the wood finish in the Storme is much classier than the orangish artificial looking one in the Dicor. But yes, the java black finish is better than the brushed aluminium.

Quote:
4) Fabric seat is also of high quality with a mix of beige + black ( complete black would have been ideal but this still looks good )
The EX has sandstone and beige. I agree - the fabric is of very nice quality and premium feel.

Quote:
The steel rims are better than the ordinary ones in the Safari Lx. But is there a way to enhance the "J" spec of the rims to mount fatter tyres ? That would be a good VFM option to avoid alloy upgrades.. ( Am I already talking as if I have booked one ? no not yet ! )
I do not like the look of the OE alloys in the VX. Think the steel rims look better too.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:09   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
There was also a significant vibration in the gear lever and in an Lx variant without a arm rest, the driver better figure out nice place to park his left hand when not shifting
Generally that would be the steering wheel.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:52   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

From some of those posts, I see there is a difference in the interior shades in different trims! Could anyone explain? Would like to see some pics if any of you have it. Thought all models came with complete beige interiors!
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:01   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From some of those posts, I see there is a difference in the interior shades in different trims! Could anyone explain? Would like to see some pics if any of you have it. Thought all models came with complete beige interiors!
Here is what the brochure says about the interior color options. So, the All beige interior is limited to the top-end VX. LX and EX get the black+beige combo.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme_interior.png

EDIT: Found a pic from google for the black and beige combo.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-stormelxex.jpg

Last edited by Dry Ice : 22nd January 2013 at 21:07.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:49   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Here is what the brochure says about the interior color options. So, the All beige interior is limited to the top-end VX. LX and EX get the black+beige combo.

Attachment 1041393

EDIT: Found a pic from google for the black and beige combo.
Attachment 1041404
This is the Ex. The Lx gets more of black in the seats, steering wheel etc.
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:52   #476
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the two tone colouring rather than the all beige interiors, wonder why they did not retain it across variants, it reduces reflection on the windscreen and also the window sills don't look dirty if they have black trim.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:41   #477
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Amazinf video, the best part of it was the auto climb without touching the accelerator and also the decend without touching the brakes. The 360 spin was also good.
This feature is available in the Indigo eCS and the ARIA as well. I guess it is an ECU feature that just manages to keep the engine from stalling and does not accelerate either. Very Very useful when climbing out of basement mall ramps / parking lots ! You just sit there tapping both feet on the floor !
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:01   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
This feature is available in the Indigo eCS and the ARIA as well. I guess it is an ECU feature that just manages to keep the engine from stalling and does not accelerate either. Very Very useful when climbing out of basement mall ramps / parking lots ! You just sit there tapping both feet on the floor !
Its there in almost all cars. However i am not sure what happens on other cars on such a heavy slope. I can imagine that car will go fast on slope. But Storme is maintaining the control.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:23   #479
BHPian

I am in the market for a SUV in a few months and I have been spending countless hours tracking discussion on T-Bhp. (Did that already once last year before settling on buying the Figo for the wife and the posts on T-Bhp went a long way in helping me decide!) So now, I am tracking the Storme, Aria & EcoSport (somehow don't like the Duster) thread vigorously. While looking at the Storme & Aria website and doing a comparo and building an excel sheet (still work-in-progress), I was struck by the following:

Storme VX 4x2 - 12,58,080
Aria Pleasure 4x2 - 13,44,805
Diff: 86,725.

Storme VX 4x4 - 13,87,647
Aria Pleasure 4x4 - 14,12,602
Diff: 24,955.

Prices above are Ex-Showroom Bangalore as on the respective websites.

Now the question, I am sure you have guessed ....
If someone is going for the Storme VX, then does it not make a lot more sense to go for the Aria Pleasure? Especially for the 4x4, the difference is just 25K !!!

Everyone agrees that the Aria is a (much?) better vehicle than the Storme. Leaving aside the shape of the vehicles, the Aria is better built, drives & handles better (I did TDs of both) and has more space & flexibility than the Storme and can do everything the Storme can do.

The VX & Pleasure are similarly kitted out except for the Pleasure not having alloys but it has a lot of other things that the Storme does not. Besides, one can get the alloys after market. (As has been pointed out several times on the Aria thread, if TML puts alloys on the Pleasure, it becomes a much better proposition).

I really want to know what Bhpians think of the situation above. I am looking forward to some interesting storming on this to help me decide eventually what I should go for.
Looking forward ...
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:32   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
At what speeds did you change the gears ?

From my TD, I found power delivery to be very linear. I suspect that you (normally) change gears early, to try & maximize FE
Well, I usually don't change gears early.my sweet spot is just more than 2k rpm before I change gears. With storme, the power delivery to pickup and reach that 2k mark, I felt was slow. I could see the turbo kicking in and the power surge after that. The weight of the vehicle I feel has a role to play in this behavior. By the way, I am one person who would be the last to worry about FE. Till now I have only owned petrol cars and only. looking for a diesel SUV to be the highway cruiser for the family outings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks