Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:13   #661
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersom View Post

The white vehicle being as popular as it is, there is one in every dealer's stockyard. I went to inspect a Feb 2013 vehicle yesterday and found that the driver's side door stays ajar (in a locked but not completely flush state) when given a light push. The push is however enough to close the passenger side door. The driver's door also locks fine if given a slightly hard push. Pointed this out to the yard manager; he acknowledged the issue and assured that it is completely fixable. The door seals look intact.

Today, I went to have a look at another one, and found the same problem with the passenger side door. It could be an issue with the lock (seems unlikely), something to do the with metal loop on the body that it locks into, or the door beading being too thick in some cases (most likely). I don't think it's an airlock problem as I reproduced this with one of the rear doors open too.

Looking forward to your views - has anyone seen such a problem with any of the front doors? I will be visiting the yard once again to find out how the issue has been resolved. Maybe it is a common problem fixed by the dealer during PDI; just that I have not heard anyone speak of this.
I had the same problem in my XUV W8 from the delivery date on the driver door. I got it solved yesterday. A faulty latch was replaced under warranty and now the problem is fully solved.
Old 24th February 2013, 07:56   #662
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday i learned something new about Tata. We took an Indica Vista Taxi to go to a remote area from Raipur the total distance was about 300Kms one way and it had mix of good, decent and slightly bad roads.

The Vista was filled with Diesel full tank at the start of the journey and while returning i noticed the fuel needle had hardly moved and asked the driver about fuel efficiency and the rest of the car details.

His fleet has few cars mostly Tata and few Toyotas. His three Indica Vistas are all 3 years old and all of them had done above 100,000 Kms (The oldest one, about 4 years old has done close to 300,000 Kms). The car i was in had absolutely no rattles no squeaks and had done 110,000 Kms and was about 3 years old. On asking he mentioned none of the cars had any engine work, suspension work or clutch work done (Amazing) except the oldest one which is touching close to 300,000 (Which was getting suspensions work done).

On asking about Aria and Safari, he mentioned his brother owns few Arias and even they had done over 100,000 Kms.

On Maintenance expenses and on comparing with Toyota he mentioned maintaining Indica Vista is way cheaper than Toyota Liva or Ethios, and he believed its would be similar in Aria as well but he had no data on himself to prove as he does not own any Innovas. On Safari he mentioned the older gen was high on maintenance, he was not sure of the Storme.

Seems like Tata have come a long way since i bought Indica in 2001.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 13:04   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The Vista was filled with Diesel full tank at the start of the journey and while returning i noticed the fuel needle had hardly moved and asked the driver about fuel efficiency and the rest of the car details.
Many folks comment about this and the fact is that its documented in their web-site OR on a FAQ section. I am not sure if it's mentioned in the vehicle manual.

The above problem of "needle not moving" happens only when we "TOP UP" the fuel post the "automatic cut-off". I always stand beside the fuel filling guys and say "no top up" and make sure, they remove the nozzle just after the first shut-off through the automatic trigger.

Following this practice, I have NEVER had the problem of "needle not moving down for 100+KMs".

Prem.
Old 24th February 2013, 14:44   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Many folks comment about this and the fact is that its documented in their web-site OR on a FAQ section. I am not sure if it's mentioned in the vehicle manual....

Following this practice, I have NEVER had the problem of "needle not moving down for 100+KMs"...
I believe the post above yours was more in line of "astonishing FE" by indirectly mentioning the "needle hardly came down"! Don't think it was really aimed at the technicality on needle NOT coming down.

Quote:
....The Vista was filled with Diesel full tank at the start of the journey and while returning i noticed the fuel needle had hardly moved and asked the driver about fuel efficiency and the rest of the car details...
Did he mention about the average / BEST / worst FEs he managed?

Quote:
...Seems like Tata have come a long way since i bought Indica in 2001.
I think from Vista, they have improved leagues.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th February 2013 at 14:46.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 14:49   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

I believe the post above yours was more in line of "astonishing FE" by indirectly mentioning the "needle hardly came down"! Don't think it was really aimed at the technicality on needle NOT coming down.

Did he mention about the average / BEST / worst FEs he managed?

I think from Vista, they have improved leagues.
No, it's about the mechanical movement of the needle. I know for sure :-)
Old 24th February 2013, 21:10   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The above problem of "needle not moving" happens only when we "TOP UP" the fuel post the "automatic cut-off". I always stand beside the fuel filling guys and say "no top up" and make sure, they remove the nozzle just after the first shut-off through the automatic trigger.
This was not the case in this specific case. We did not top up the fuel (Not even till cutoff). It was just almost Full Tank.

In this specific case it was awesome fuel efficiency of Indica that i was attempting to convey.

There was another Diesel car that was accompanying us (Maruti Dzire, Owned by someone in the family) and that did not reported as awesome fuel efficiency as the Indica Vista.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 24th February 2013 at 21:11.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 22:32   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday i learned something new about Tata....
Even I had similar experience when I booked an Indica from Dhanbad to go somewhere. His Indica (old - gen) was very much maintained at around 200,000+ Kms. He said Indica is one of car which has very less maintenance and problems. He never had breakdown in these many kms as he takes maintenance very seriously and he himself told his maintenance schedule

1. Service and oil change at every 10K Kms
2. Brake shoe change every 40,000 Kms (Due to bad roads)
3. Tyre change every 40K to 50K Kms (Again due to bad roads in that region)
4. Never use retreaded tyres.

He operates 2 Indicas and 1 Indigo.

Even, with my Safari (2.2 Dicor) I have similar experience. Only one problem I faced recently, I had to change syncromesh ring in gearbox due to grinding noise in gearbox(this too taken care in Extended Warranty). Never had any breakdown or any niggling problem that mostly non-Tata owners shouts out. I have traveled almost 12 states with it.

Quote:
No, it's about the mechanical movement of the needle. I know for sure :-)
I always do the top-up in my Safari, I feel there is no harm and the more diesel you have the more Kms you can travel. Never got cheated and I always accurately estimate in my Safari how much diesel it will take. No movement of needle is not a problem I think to be reported here. Once it started moving you will get to know how much diesel is left.

Last edited by anujmishra : 24th February 2013 at 22:37.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 14:47   #668

Nice review!!! Every nitty gritty of the vehicle was touched. Moreover, the new storme was compared with old Safari in every aspect... Hats Off dude!!
ronnie1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 21:26   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
... Indica is one of car which has very less maintenance and problems. He never had breakdown in these many kms as he takes maintenance very seriously and he himself told his maintenance schedule
Not sure if it's in the same league, but my Indica has seen 1,40,000 KMs over the past 8 years without any breakdowns. I cannot say that I have always been super good to it, or never overshot a service mileage, but I try not to, and when I do, I make sure that it gets all that is due. I love the car and treat it like a family member. The only extra care that I take is to make sure that I inspect every component that the A.S.S. repairs or replaces. I take a good look at wear and tear of the suspension, the hoses and seals when the car is hoisted on the post, ask a lot of questions about them and make sure that I drive without the stereo once in a while to lend it a patient ear. I think it has started nudging me to do something about the suspensions.

The 70,000 KM (4 year) old Indigo DICOR in the house has not needed any major repairs yet - just running repairs and services. Now, it needs new tyres.

Hope the Storme that is due next week does as well as the both of them taken together, since it costs as much.

Quote:
I always do the top-up in my Safari, I feel there is no harm and the more diesel you have the more Kms you can travel. Never got cheated and I always accurately estimate in my Safari how much diesel it will take. No movement of needle is not a problem I think to be reported here. Once it started moving you will get to know how much diesel is left.
I haven't researched this very well, but I think we get cheated of a little diesel every time we ask for a "top-up". I had read/heard somewhere that if we "top-up", we pay for the diesel in the dispenser pipe which doesn't get dispensed. On the other hand, for auto cut-off, the dispenser ensures that the billed amount of fuel actually leaves the dispenser nozzle. I'm sure it's possible to verify this with a measuring cylinder, but I am always busy making sure the pump guy is not up to some new trick. Could somebody who has evidence/knowledge of this kindly shed some light?

I always opt for auto cut-off because I feel that is how it is meant to be filled - probably to leave space for vapors which may expand (?)
Old 26th February 2013, 00:02   #670
BHPian

Hi guys! I am following this thread since beginning. I am from the very early proud owner of Storme. Booked Storme VX 2x4 Silver on 25th October 2012 from Dhingra Motors. Sales guy called me on 30th October that my car is arriving on 31st. I did all my loan formalities on 2nd Nov after a huge struggle of formalities and wait from sbi.
But eventually got the delivery on 2nd Nov 2012 itself.
Frankly speaking, I was not expecting the delivery before Diwali. Thought the car would come in last week of November. But the Dhingra Motors guys did a great job!

I have already done 10000 kms on the odo. On 2nd service the showroom guys have replaced all the door latches. Must say that special attention is being paid to Storme customers. They just listen to each and every silly problem you face and strive to rectify it.

A few pictures of the car for the pleasure of your eyes.

Some modification/additions:
  1. Changed stock tyres to Yokohama Geolander H/T 245/70/R16
  2. Changed Low Beam (Projector) bulbs with 55W GoldenEye 4300k HID lamps
  3. Changed the stock horns to Roots Vibrosonic
  4. Changed stock speakers to Kikker Components in all 4 doors with 4 Channel Amp and Sub
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_5323.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_2934.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_2958.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_3452.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_3464.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_3640.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_2965.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_2582.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_4289.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_4492.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0559.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_0577.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2013 at 02:28. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post allowed, please read the forum rules very carefully, thanks
Navsangeet is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 00:37   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Hi guys! I am following this thread since beginning. I am from the very early proud owner of Storme. Booked Storme VX 2x4 Silver on 25th October 2012 from Dhingra Motors. Sales guy called me on 30th October that my car is arriving on 31st. I did all my loan formalities on 2nd Nov after a huge struggle of formalities and wait from sbi.
Frankly speaking, I was not expecting the delivery before Diwali. Thought the car would come in last week of November. But the Dhingra Motors guys did a great job!

I have already done 10000 kms on the odo. On 2nd service the showroom guys have replaced all the door latches. Must say that special attention is being paid to Storme customers. They just listen to each and every silly problem you face and strive to rectify it.

4. Changed stock speakers to Kikker Components in all 4 doors with 4 Channel Amp and Sub
@navsangeet hey man i must say thats a uber cool looking storme there and looks elegant in silver. you surely have done some nice additions to it.

10000 kms already thats great, can you throw some light on how has been your experience so far with your beauty, niggles faced, observations made.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 00:48   #672
BANNED

What is the water wading depth of the Safari Storme??
Old 26th February 2013, 09:08   #673
BHPian

@Navsangeet, congratulations and I wish you a very happy and safe motoring. Thanks for sharing the photos.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 09:23   #674
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your Storm. Pics look cool.keep revving and enjoying your silver beauty.

Quote:
On 2nd service the showroom guys have replaced all the door latches.
Why did you have to do that ?

Quote:
They just listen to each and every silly problem you face and strive to rectify it.
Could you elaborate on the issues you faced so far.

Quote:
Nice mods those

Last edited by M35 : 26th February 2013 at 09:24.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:32   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats! Looks like one of the early birds. Do keep us posted.

And guess one of the first to use a 245 on Safari. Can you post pix ; want to see how it looks. How much did it cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks