Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 16:07   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
& I also noticed 2 Din music system with upgraded console having A.c controls.
The 3rde pic here has only a 1-din.
First slot -a/c controls
2nd slot - other switches like fog lamps, rear wipers etc
3rd slot - space for a 1-din
Old 6th March 2013, 16:22   #692
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 3rde pic here has only a 1-din.
First slot -a/c controls
2nd slot - other switches like fog lamps, rear wipers etc
3rd slot - space for a 1-din
May not be the case:
Are Fog Lamps not on the rotary know to the right of the steering wheel on the dash and are the rear wipers not on the LHS indicator stalks?

The 4X4 is also not there as it is on the rotary knob near the gearstick.

These could actually be Audio System control buttons making it a 2 din. Yep the total area is 3 din and the AC/ACC takes 1 din.

Could not see the wordings on the buttons clearly enough though inspite of zooming a fair bit the resolution on the uploaded snaps is not good enough though the original image would be clear enough.
Old 6th March 2013, 16:44   #693
Senior - BHPian

ACM is right. ACM, you could have spotted this with little more blow-up though. Just got curious and tried blowing up the image. See what it shows below. There are clearly 1-6 buttons, visible upto 5 and 6 must be hidden due to the steering wheel, with a tuner/vol rotary dial visible. Clearly looks like a 2-DIN. So they did manage to squeeze in the 2DIN in there afterall. Good show Tata.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tata-safari-storme-mountain-rescue-interiors22din.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 6th March 2013 at 16:46.
parsh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 17:43   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
ACM is right. ACM, you could have spotted this with little more blow-up though. Just got curious and tried blowing up the image. See what it shows below. There are clearly 1-6 buttons, visible upto 5 and 6 must be hidden due to the steering wheel, with a tuner/vol rotary dial visible. Clearly looks like a 2-DIN. So they did manage to squeeze in the 2DIN in there afterall. Good show Tata.

Attachment 1058970
Very true. & if it still turns out to be single then also this one is far better than the after market fitting OE.

This one is properly integrated HU & looks like a part of that console.
Old 6th March 2013, 18:28   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Congratulations on your Storm. Pics look cool.keep revving and enjoying your silver beauty.

Why did you have to do that ?
Could you elaborate on the issues you faced so far.

Nice mods those
There was some design change in door lock latches by Tata to remove the door lock noises reported by customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats! Looks like one of the early birds. Do keep us posted.

And guess one of the first to use a 245 on Safari. Can you post pix ; want to see how it looks. How much did it cost?
Attaching the pictures of Yokohama H/T 245/70/R16 Tyres, Roots Horns, Kicker Component Speakers and Iphone Holder (Sourced from US).

Some users have reported about the pickup/acceleration of Storme as compared to the old 2.2 Dicor. But believe me, Storme pulls quite well. Maybe mine has opened up a lot now after 10000 kms. Last week a Swift Diesel guy was trying to be hero by trying to go left and right around my Storme (no offense to Swift drivers!), so thought of giving him some piece of mind and also thought to test the Storme's acceleration against the well proven MJD diesel in Swift. So on the Green light, I hit the Storme hard. And I could not believe that Swift guy was at least 5-6 feet behind till 110 kmph speed during the drag. Could be a poor driver, but I was amazed by the Storme's performance. I am thinking of testing it against Swift if I got a chance again.

Last week I went for getting the allignment and camber checked for my Storme since it clocked 10k kms. The guy checked and said that Camber is a litttle bit out on both sides. I was like "Oh no! It will take 2-3 hours for this job!" (Coming from the previous experience of my Friend with his 2.2 Dicor as I was with him last time he get the camber corrected)
But to my surprise it was done in 15 minutes!! Then the guy told me that unlike older Safari, Storme has a simple screw to adjust the Camber. No need to even removed tyres! Well done Tata! Even adjusting Camber on my Punto takes 2 hours. I believe its same for most of the cars. I think Storme will be much easier to maintain.

One more experience which I want to share with you guys is that last week I got a chance to drive my same Friend's 2.2 Dicor which is 2 years old with 37k kms on odo. It is pretty well maintained. I drove it after driving my Storme 10k kms, I was surprised to experience the difference between the old model and new Storme. Old Dicor was behaving more like a raw Jeep kind of (No Offense to Dicor owners, its is still very close to the heart!), lot of vibrations, NVH levels high, lousy steering, horrible turning radius, spongy suspension, great amount of difference in pickup, not to mention the low interior quality. There are much more differences which I can mention, but as Storme owner and after driving 10000 kmsI can very much assure that Storme is al together a different car!

I'll also try if I can get time to start a separate ownership thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img2013022600128.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img2013022600129.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img2013022600131.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img2013022600132.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img2013022600133.jpg  

Navsangeet is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 20:11   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
These could actually be Audio System control buttons making it a 2 din. Yep the total area is 3 din and the AC/ACC takes 1 din.
And looking at the pics in the post by @Navsangeet below, there is space for a 2-din player, and not much modification is required.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:34   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And looking at the pics in the post by @Navsangeet below, there is space for a 2-din player, and not much modification is required.
The whole middle console is a modular unit. So why can't they shift the air con controls below and move the HU up? To my knowledge the air con unit should be an electronic one as opposed to the manual one in the 2.2...
Old 7th March 2013, 09:20   #698
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The whole middle console is a modular unit. So why can't they shift the air con controls below and move the HU up? To my knowledge the air con unit should be an electronic one as opposed to the manual one in the 2.2...
The Space available behind the Air Con Controls may be lesser that what is required for the 1 or 2 din Unit. This is a possibility that comes to mind.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 09:26   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

The Space available behind the Air Con Controls may be lesser that what is required for the 1 or 2 din Unit. This is a possibility that comes to mind.
Yes, the underpinnings of the Storme are from the current Safari when it comes to the cabin design, the shell structure behind the dashboard prevents the placement of a different HU in the current setup I was told.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 10:18   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post

Yes, the underpinnings of the Storme are from the current Safari when it comes to the cabin design, the shell structure behind the dashboard prevents the placement of a different HU in the current setup I was told.
Then They should incorporate a split design HU like what is found in Audi. The screen can sit snugly in a pop up tray in the box ontop of the console, and the HU electronics can stay in the lower position as shown in the mountain rescue storme. If most of the functions can be controlled n the screen then this would be the ideal solution.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 10:33   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then They should incorporate a split design HU like what is found in Audi. The screen can sit snugly in a pop up tray in the box ontop of the console, and the HU electronics can stay in the lower position as shown in the mountain rescue storme. If most of the functions can be controlled n the screen then this would be the ideal solution.
, who knows, your wish might just become reality soon, wait and watch .
Old 7th March 2013, 11:12   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
, who knows, your wish might just become reality soon, wait and watch .
Aha! the Oracle speaks !!!
Old 7th March 2013, 11:22   #703
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Exactly the thought that came to mind. I almost thought that the pop-up box was kept there for the purpose of making the Storme 2-din/Touchscreen ready.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:11   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Hi guys! I am following this thread since beginning. I am from the very early proud owner of Storme. Booked Storme VX 2x4 Silver on 25th October 2012 from Dhingra Motors. Sales guy called me on 30th October that my car is arriving on 31st
Congratulation Navsangeet. So was the 6111 number intentionally purchased to be used as "Gill"

TML should use some of your pictures, might do them some good And please do post the ownership review like the others have requested.

Slightly OT here, but having driven a 2011 model Tata Safari for more than an year now, I must say that I'm quite impressed with the vehicle. A lot of people had mentioned that the Safari holds goods just for an year or so and then the issues start cropping up. But no issues till date, and no squeaks or rattles as well.

Service interval of 15K ensures you dont have to face the dreaded A.S.S too often. Although the experience at the 15K service was not entirely satisfactory, but then again, nothing so bad as to take away from the overall experience. And this is in comparision to the Honda chaps I have to deal with every 5K KM's.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 00:04   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Congratulation Navsangeet. So was the 6111 number intentionally purchased to be used as "Gill"

TML should use some of your pictures, might do them some good
Sidhu saab you judged it right! The number is intentionally purchased. My lastname os Gill.

Thanks for the encouragement for photography
Navsangeet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks