Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 16:09   #1561
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Guys, has anyone installed the reverse parking camera on their truck yet? Tata motors have started offering a camera with a display fixed on the dashboard for 5400 inr. Was planing to get the same done. Any option available?
HI Storme'd

Is 5400 the total price (for camera + rear view missor display) or additional price in replacement of motion sensor.

I checked the price today from Tata dealer in Jaipur and he quoted total price is of 9500 and if I don't take motion sensor (3900), addl amount would be 5400.

Please confirm.
Old 7th September 2013, 16:34   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
As far as I know tata insurance is not a zero dep, please confirm. Atleast it wasn't some 6 months back as I had confirmed with them.
I took it from Sbi general insurance, opposite to VW tonk road. It won't be cashless as tata insurance is not tied up with them. But they have tied up with roshan motors, and I too have shifted so no problem there also. My premium was 35.5k, whilst dealers offer was 39k from national insurance or new India.
Thanks Stormrider, Yes I checked with the dealer today, its Zero Dep now, launched from this financial year only (as per dealer).

Fellow team Bhpians, need your advise on following choices:-

Car booked - Tata Safari Storme EX (Urban Bronze)

Insurance

-Tata Motors (Dealer) Insurance - 42627 (cashless as tied up with Kamal)
-SBI General Insurance (Zero Dep)- 39724 (no tie up with Kamal) - as per quote they are giving 30% discount on OD premium with IDV of 10.75
- Bajaj Allianz - 40975 (Zero Dep, 24x7 assistance, engine protector) - IDV 10.82 (Again no tie up with Kamal)

Alloys

- Tata Stock DiCor Alloys - Set of 4 from Dealer (Rs.32,500), Checked with Dhaliwal & Co (Tyre shop), Same alloy for around 6500/- per piece

Other option is going for aftermarket alloys, checked with service manager of Kamal - he said though they recommend tata stock alloys, after market alloys with same specs will not void warranty. If I go for after market alloys, they will cost some where areound 20K max (only issue is matching the offset of 0)

Neo Racing alloys - set of 5 = 30K (how are these alloys?)

Buyback of stock steel rims by Dhaliwal - 400 per piece.

Tyres

Checked with Tyre shop (dhaliwal) - Buy back of Bridgestone (Stock) tyres for 6500.

a) go for Pirelli 245/70/16 - Cost of each tyre 11k
b) Pirelli 235/70/16 - cost = 8800 per tyre
c) Michelin Cross - 8000 approx per piece (only issue how I will rotate tyres, as tread pattern is different at both ends)
d) Michelin Cross LTX - not available in market
c) Continental GT - 8000 approx per piece

IRVM

Tata dealer is quoting price of 9500/- with camera & view in IRVM. Is it fine and is it okay to get this fitted from market (Will it void warranty ?)

Oops...My apologies for so many queries but your advice will really help me in taking right decisions.
Old 7th September 2013, 17:07   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post

HI Storme'd

Is 5400 the total price (for camera + rear view missor display) or additional price in replacement of motion sensor.

I checked the price today from Tata dealer in Jaipur and he quoted total price is of 9500 and if I don't take motion sensor (3900), addl amount would be 5400.

Please confirm.
Sunit, 5400 is the price only for camera and display unit mounted on the dash. I had got sensors installed on purchase so don't need them now.
Old 7th September 2013, 17:30   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car booked - Tata Safari Storme EX (Urban Bronze)

Alloys

- Tata Stock DiCor Alloys - Set of 4 from Dealer (Rs.32,500), Checked with Dhaliwal & Co (Tyre shop), Same alloy for around 6500/- per piece

Other option is going for aftermarket alloys, checked with service manager of Kamal - he said though they recommend tata stock alloys, after market alloys with same specs will not void warranty. Checked with Tyre shop (dhaliwal) - Buy back of Bridgestone (Stock) tyres for 6500.
Sunit - congrats on the bookings.
On Alloys I had seen a few good designs in HRC, Neo. All were min 7J against stock spec of 6.5J. You can check some queries I had posted on tyres and the response was to not change stock spec to risk voiding warranty. Eventually I did not change the rims also since the steel wheels look ok for a silver Storme.

What was the final price break up you got ? Pls post that as well
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 20:25   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
-Tata Motors (Dealer) Insurance - 42627 (cashless as tied up with Kamal)
-SBI General Insurance (Zero Dep)- 39724 (no tie up with Kamal) - as per quote they are giving 30% discount on OD premium with IDV of 10.75
- Bajaj Allianz - 40975 (Zero Dep, 24x7 assistance, engine protector) - IDV 10.82 (Again no tie up with Kamal)
If cashless is priority, ho for tata, as you will not have to worry about choosing dealers, else Sbi is great and also vfm.

Quote:
Alloys
Tata Stock DiCor Alloys - Set of 4 from Dealer (Rs.32,500), Checked with Dhaliwal & Co (Tyre shop), Same alloy for around 6500/- per piece

Other option is going for aftermarket alloys, checked with service manager of Kamal - he said though they recommend tata stock alloys, after market alloys with same specs will not void warranty. If I go for after market alloys, they will cost some where areound 20K max (only issue is matching the offset of 0)

Neo Racing alloys - set of 5 = 30K (how are these alloys?)

Buyback of stock steel rims by Dhaliwal - 400 per piece.
Alloy price quoted by dealer is on higher side, I purchased for 6.5k per piece. Aftermarket alloys are difficult to find with similar specs- 6.5j and offset. Steel wheels should go for an approx of 500-600 a piece, try jalupura. With aftermarkets be prepared to getting alignment from outside a.s.s. and they can put the blame of any and everything related to suspension and alignment on your alloys.

Quote:
Tyres

Checked with Tyre shop (dhaliwal) - Buy back of Bridgestone (Stock) tyres for 6500.

a) go for Pirelli 245/70/16 - Cost of each tyre 11k
b) Pirelli 235/70/16 - cost = 8800 per tyre
c) Michelin Cross - 8000 approx per piece (only issue how I will rotate tyres, as tread pattern is different at both ends)
d) Michelin Cross LTX - not available in market
c) Continental GT - 8000 approx per piece
Would let experts answer this one. But IMO stock tyre is also good if you don't want to do much of off road with the 4x2.

Quote:
IRVM

Tata dealer is quoting price of 9500/- with camera & view in IRVM. Is it fine and is it okay to get this fitted from market (Will it void warranty ?)
IMO if you are a bit careful, you won't need them. They are good to have but not a necessity as the rvm's do what is needed. So I will let you decide.
As for warranty, do not splice/cut wires, use socket wiring, rest all is fine. I got an active sub fitted, a plug n play setup with the stereo. For power got a separate wire from battery without cutting/splicing, no issues with warranty.

When are you getting it?
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 21:00   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Normal rotation process. These are aysmmetric, and not uni-directional. Asymmetric means that you can do inside-outside flip. The outer & inner face of the tyre is fixed.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 00:38   #1567
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

With a Storme suggest sticking to stock size tyres and original alloys from dealer or outside. Warranty is important for a TATA and maybe more for for the Dicor / varicor 2.2 engines.

Tyre rotation is not an issue with any kind of tyres one just ties a different type of rotation I.e. front to back instead of cross.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 13:41   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
If cashless is priority, ho for tata, as you will not have to worry about choosing dealers, else Sbi is great and also vfm.

Alloy price quoted by dealer is on higher side, I purchased for 6.5k per piece. Aftermarket alloys are difficult to find with similar specs- 6.5j and offset. Steel wheels should go for an approx of 500-600 a piece, try jalupura. With aftermarkets be prepared to getting alignment from outside a.s.s. and they can put the blame of any and everything related to suspension and alignment on your alloys.

Would let experts answer this one. But IMO stock tyre is also good if you don't want to do much of off road with the 4x2.

IMO if you are a bit careful, you won't need them. They are good to have but not a necessity as the rvm's do what is needed. So I will let you decide.
As for warranty, do not splice/cut wires, use socket wiring, rest all is fine. I got an active sub fitted, a plug n play setup with the stereo. For power got a separate wire from battery without cutting/splicing, no issues with warranty.

When are you getting it?
Thanks, I also surprised as price quoted by dealer is on higher side, however I checked stock dicor alloys are available in market too at approx 6500 price, will check that. I also don't want to go for aftermarket alloys, don't want any issues with warranty.

Dealer has told me that by coming Saturday (14th) will try to give delivery, wife don't want to take delivery on saturday, So have to postpone it for Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Sunit - congrats on the bookings.
On Alloys I had seen a few good designs in HRC, Neo. All were min 7J against stock spec of 6.5J. You can check some queries I had posted on tyres and the response was to not change stock spec to risk voiding warranty. Eventually I did not change the rims also since the steel wheels look ok for a silver Storme.

What was the final price break up you got ? Pls post that as well
Hi Narayan,

Here is the breakup

Ex Showroom - 11,27,329
Insurance - 42,627
RTO - 101,005
Logistics - 7,000
Sensor - 3,900
Extended Warranty - 7,000

Total - 12,88,861

Total Discount - 30,000

Net Price - 12,58,861

Additional things I will go for is Gold AMC - 38,764 & if Camera in place of normal sensor- addl 5,400

Other option as I listed earlier, want stock dicor alloys - trying to get same for around 6,500 per wheel.

Have got a SMS from Tata on Friday - "Scratch & Win Offer", Dealer & TML guys will confirm on that, so keeping my fingers crossed, anything above normal discount will be plus.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th September 2013 at 15:25.
Old 8th September 2013, 14:40   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Narayan,

Here is the breakup

Ex Showroom - 11,27,329
Insurance - 42,627
RTO - 101,005
Logistics - 7,000
Sensor - 3,900
Extended Warranty - 7,000

Total - 12,88,861

Total Discount - 30,000

Net Price - 12,58,861
That's a very good deal Sunit considering you did not own a Tata vehicle before and there is no loyalty bonus component. Further you should be lucky to be in a state with low road taxes. In TN its 15% for > 10lakh vehicles ( even more in Karnataka )
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 18:30   #1570
BHPian

Got my first free service done. Nothing much to write about excepting that the sound in the clutch was straightened out. There was some squeaky sounds inside which got taken care of. General wash and check up.

Went to Madhu's for tyre balancing and alignment. The people were extremely friendly and once they saw the Team BHP stickers they spent a lot of time explaining what they were doing.

Road force balancing done - A total of 250g attached across all 4 wheels. The drag towards the left from 90nm has now moved down to about 15nm. The truck feels much better to handle now.

Wheel alignment done on a new system called Hawkeye. Took about 10 minutes to do and apparently they are the only ones to have this system in India. (Not sure about it). Putting up a picture of the Hunter Hawkeye

Got a quote for Rockford Fosgate speakers - component and coaxial at 9k including wiring and labour. Wanted to check with folks if this is a good deal. Also, quality of Rockford ? Also checking out Clarion next week. Which is better ?

Finally, 3 of my beauties - Sally, Whiskey and Black Knight
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-wp_20130911_002.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20130726_130234.jpg  

subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 21:32   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Got my first free service done. Nothing much to write about excepting that the sound in the clutch was straightened out. There was some squeaky sounds inside which got taken care of. General wash and check up.

Went to Madhu's for tyre balancing and alignment.

The drag towards the left from 90nm has now moved down to about 15nm. The truck feels much better to handle now.
Subraiyr - first service done and no ownership report ? Not good

What exactly was the sound in the clutch ? As for squeaks inside I have noticed its mainly from seat belt and the rear seat back mounting which comes loose in which case a firm push to get it seated back in that nut is required. Anything else ?

On the alignment part, do you mean the machine gives a reading of how much torque is the wrong alignment generating ? That's cool
Old 12th September 2013, 22:37   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
On the alignment part, do you mean the machine gives a reading of how much torque is the wrong alignment generating ? That's cool
Road Force balancing definitely helps - would suggest it to everyone, at least once when new & when tyre is being re-mounted to the rim.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:10   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Road Force balancing definitely helps - would suggest it to everyone, at least once when new & when tyre is being re-mounted to the rim.
Could you please elaborate as to what it is and how it helps and if it can be done everywhere.
How is it different from normal balancing?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 05:23   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate as to what it is and how it helps and if it can be done everywhere.
How is it different from normal balancing?

Thanks
Stormerider

Normal wheel balancing manages issues in wheel rotations due to up and down motion of the wheel

Road force balancing basically is all about the various variations that occur in wheel rotation due to stiffness of sidewalls, unevenness of treads or event slightly bent rims. Basically these can cause the tyres to have uneven forces when they hit the road while rotating. RFB can eliminate this through aligning stiff points and the lowest spot. I am not sure on whether it is available across india. I am sure it must be although the guy at Madhu claims they are the only ones to have it. Will try and scan the brochure i got from them next week. Am off for a quick road trip now
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 11:18   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Went to Madhu's for tyre balancing and alignment. The people were extremely friendly and once they saw the Team BHP stickers they spent a lot of time explaining what they were doing.

Road force balancing done - A total of 250g attached across all 4 wheels. The drag towards the left from 90nm has now moved down to about 15nm. The truck feels much better to handle now.

Wheel alignment done on a new system called Hawkeye. Took about 10 minutes to do and apparently they are the only ones to have this system in India. (Not sure about it). Putting up a picture of the Hunter Hawkeye
Thanks for the posting. Could you please let me the location and contact details of Madhu. I would like to do wheel balancing for my Storme

Most Viewed