Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 07:48   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

@ebonho : IMO Storme being a quite a good mile muncher, you'd rather BUY THE GOLD AMC.

Your profile says you live in Pune, a few trips down south or up north will make a 4-5000km circuit each. So, if you want to keep the option of possible occasional heavy usage, IMO you'd be better off WITH the 4yr/50,000km Gold AMC.

When the same question came to my friend, the deciding factor wasn't his 'Probable usage', it was the 'Possible usage', because we buy cars for their 'Possible' usage so we can explore more. Gold AMC sort of kept alive the possibilities since one needn't worry about service costs.

Apart from that, IF, by any DISTANT chance you plan to 'let it go' after 4yrs/60k kms, a car maintained with gold AMC will possibly have a better value as ALL the servicing would've been well taken care of with just warranty and AMC.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th March 2014 at 07:52.
Old 28th March 2014, 08:16   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian

When I picked up the Gold / 50k package, my calculation was simple - approx 15000 km a year will still mean 45k in 3 years and 60k in 4 years. Running has been as planned so far.
Old 28th March 2014, 08:43   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
When I picked up the Gold / 50k package, my calculation was simple - approx 15000 km a year will still mean 45k in 3 years and 60k in 4 years. Running has been as planned so far.
Yeah, this brings me to the question of getting an AMC for my truck. I will be running approx 40K km per year (30K regular + 10K outstation and extra. What should be the ideal AMC and how much should it cost?
Old 28th March 2014, 08:44   #2464
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sasi, there is one AMC gold package for about 60k running, but is priced very high.

In your case, may be the Silver package for 1L km, or may be no package .. like boss has done
Old 28th March 2014, 11:51   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
AMC Query:

I currently have a Silver AMC for 4 years/50000 kms for Rs. 16,055/-.

The main targets being brake pads (6000 bucks front, 4000 bucks rear), clutch plates (if they have burnt out by then), and maybe suspension bushes.

Yes, wiper blades are also covered (they hardly cost anything - wonder why they are always singled out for mention in the company of the big dollar parts).

So looking at my running, do the potential upsides (brake pads, clutch, bushes, blades) justify the definite downside (45000 km service cost) and should I go in for this AMC upgrade?

Please advise!

This would probably also be a great option as the 60000 km serice involves scheduled replacment of a number of parts (no idea as to the cost of each).
1) unless you drive like a maniac, clutch and suspension wont go kaput at 60k. People get hefty bill at 60k because they expect clutch and suspension to last only till then ( why? coz that's what they have 'heard' and been told)
2) Battery should last 3 years if used well. I am on my 3rd battery at 1.25lac odo
3) Why not get brake pads fitted from outside? Its way cheaper.

Adding more:

Clutch + Suspension + Battery would cost one 40k max. If you really use your Safari and if the AMC Gold is worth considering this factor. why not get it?

@ Condor; I think I know how you would drive your Safari and hence what you choose should be fine for you :P

Last edited by jkdas : 28th March 2014 at 11:55.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 22:25   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
AMC Query:
Quote:
When I picked up the Gold / 50k package,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1) unless you drive like a maniac, clutch and suspension wont go kaput at 60k. People get hefty bill at 60k because they expect clutch and suspension to last only till then ( why? coz that's what they have 'heard' and been told)
I have some basic questions on the same line:

1. As specified on Tata Safari site, Storme comes with a warranty of 3 years/1,00,000 kms (whichever is earlier) and Extended Warranty 1 year/50,000 kms - 7000/- (whichever is earlier). What things are covered under this?

2. When we buy extended warranty do we really need AMC?

3. I will drive around 15000 km in a year, I drive very carefully and do all maintenance and servicing on time, what AMC will be good VFM for me?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 28th March 2014, 22:39   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
@Sasi, there is one AMC gold package for about 60k running, but is priced very high.

In your case, may be the Silver package for 1L km, or may be no package .. like boss has done
Thanks. In any case, I really haven't figured out the cost-benefit ratio between going in for an AMC and paying for regular wear and tear myself. Apart from oil changes @ 15K km, I really don't know how much I am going to wreck the vehicle to be needing parts replacement equivalent to the value of the AMC package thay suits my running (high km over a short time frame). So, if I pay 40K for an AMC, will I be getting stuff worth 40K replaced in that time frame? Vexing question, I say...
Old 29th March 2014, 07:09   #2468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Extended Warranty 1 year/50,000 kms - 7000/- (whichever is earlier). What things are covered under this?

2. When we buy extended warranty do we really need AMC?
@Vishal, Extended Wty would cover mechanical failures. AMC would cover consumables & labour - including all oils, filters etc. In consumables, tyres, clutch, brake-pads,would depend on what package you take.

Please check if 3rd year Warranty is 7k or 9k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I really haven't figured out the cost-benefit ratio between going in for an AMC and paying for regular wear and tear myself. .... So, if I pay 40K for an AMC, will I be getting stuff worth 40K replaced in that time frame? Vexing question, I say...
With AMC, the costs of oil will be covered. If you plan to get your own oils also, then it may not make sense to get AMC at all - especially if you plan to to bear all wear & tear costs also.

But when you say you dont know how much will wreck your vehicle - did you mean how less or how more ? If more, the AMC may help.

If you take AMC, then use the AMC to cover the wear & tear items. Esp since labour is also covered.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th March 2014 at 20:13. Reason: Corrected typo as per request.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 09:06   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
What things are covered under this?l
Check this page for the coverages and exclusions: http://customercare.tatamotors.com/e...d/mustKnow.asp

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th March 2014, 18:55   #2470
BHPian

I have been an ardent Storme fan and customer uptil now and TATA motors need to really pull up the socks to keep such customers with them to really increase the brand value. I have been thinking of not putting any negative comments in the forum but TATA motors services have now stretched it too far.
Here it goes...
Met with an accident and gave my car for repairs on March 21, Its been 9 days and I have not got my car back. TASS has one standard answer that the parts are not available for the STORME, I suppose that this is a premium customer vehicle for TATA motors. I am really frustrated and dont know what to do. I have even called the helpline and expressed my anguish. The only thing I got was a complaint number. There is a long long way to go for TML to ensure customer loyalty.

Posting a pic !
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_2102.jpg  

Last edited by vipulkamboj : 29th March 2014 at 18:58. Reason: forgot to attach the picture
Old 29th March 2014, 21:06   #2471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulkamboj View Post
....Met with an accident and gave my car for repairs on March 21, Its been 9 days and I have not got my car back. TASS has one standard answer that the parts are not available for the STORME, I suppose that this is a premium customer vehicle for TATA motors. I am really frustrated and dont know what to do. I have even called the helpline and expressed my anguish. The only thing I got was a complaint number. There is a long long way to go for TML to ensure customer loyalty.

Posting a pic !
Please PM Mr. Behram Dhabhar here on team-bhp and am sure he'll help you. It's just a matter of time he's gonna ask for your number otherwise as he is a regular here on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th March 2014 at 21:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 21:15   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please PM Mr. Behram Dhabhar here on team-bhp and am sure he'll help you. It's just a matter of time he's gonna ask for your number otherwise as he is a regular here on this thread.
I have done. Thanks Swift
Old 30th March 2014, 08:44   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulkamboj View Post
I have been thinking of not putting any negative comments in the forum but TATA motors services have now stretched it too far.
Here it goes...
Met with an accident and gave my car for repairs on March 21, Its been 9 days and I have not got my car back.
That's a nasty hit. how did it happen ? Hope no injuries to all occupants. Tass has indeed been lethargic in ur case and to good measure it could be TMl's fault as well. Pls don't hesitate to post negative feedback. Its important to hear from Tata customers. Off late in the forum we either have people who have no clue about TML coming and ranting about their pathetic service or at the other extreme TML fan boys who will go to great lengths to "defend" TML. In between these two genuine feedback from owners gets lost. Pls be very vocal about every small issue. Escalate this to the regional service head for your city. If these guys are on social media pls highlight there as well.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 12:45   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
That's a nasty hit. how did it happen ? Hope no injuries to all occupants.
In my opinion, the front end of the Storme is not very toughly built. When a biker hit my gaadi with his handlebar, the lip of the bonnet above the chrome strip got a very bad dent. This picture also points to a lot of broken plastic, whereas the inner stuff seems to be intact. So, it looks like they haven't paid attention to toughening the front against frontal impact. They have just made it aesthetically pleasing.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:45   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
That's a nasty hit. how did it happen ? Hope no injuries to all occupants. Tass has indeed been lethargic in ur case and to good measure it could be TMl's fault as well. Pls don't hesitate to post negative feedback. Its important to hear from Tata customers. Off late in the forum we either have people who have no clue about TML coming and ranting about their pathetic service or at the other extreme TML fan boys who will go to great lengths to "defend" TML. In between these two genuine feedback from owners gets lost. Pls be very vocal about every small issue. Escalate this to the regional service head for your city. If these guys are on social media pls highlight there as well.
No One was hurt. That is the advantage of the Safari. It was not as serious as it looks. This was because of an idiot taxi driver trying to speed and trying to beat the the traffic light from becoming red while talking on the cell phone. Anyways I admire the thinking and ideology of Mr. Ratan Tata but I think he is the only one who is following it and there is no takers of that legacy. He himself would not know what is happening in his company at the grassroots level.
People not buying TATA cars is not because there is something wrong with the cars, it because the people who service do not have the same vision and the after sales service is pathetic. Speaking to them is like
I just hope and wish some good sense prevails to them...
Just imagine they do not have spare parts available for the most premium vehicle they have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks