Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 02:21   #2866
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community. And tsk1979 , yours was the first review i had read on safari storme and since have my heart set for the beast. I wish to go for ex variant and have to buy it within a months time. Just wondering if the about-to-be-launched facelifted version would only be the top of the line ZX ? What all changes can we expect in the lower LX and EX variants ? Apologies for any mistake in posting as its my first ever post here
Old 19th June 2014, 09:10   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Gear shift pattern doesn't have much to do with the running-in period, except for the limitation on maximum speed.
Shifting to 5th at 55 is too early as you'll be lugging the engine up from 1000 rpm. But I also agree that the up-shift speeds suggested in the manual feel slightly higher. Personally, I find up-shifting at 20-40-60-80 more suitable on plain roads.
I agree with Garg Saab. In city, I usually look at the rpm needle and on the highway, I look at the speedometer. In stop go traffic, moving between 2nd and 3rd within the 1100 to 2000rpm range works best. On the highway, what Garg Saab has mentioned is what I also follow. Occasionally, I take the 4th upto 90-95 before slotting 5th. Also if speed drops below 70kmph in 5th, I downshift to 4th.
sasi405 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:32   #2868
BHPian

This morning I drove to work keeping all the above suggestions in mind. Till yesterday, I was trying not to make the rpm go beyond 2000 in the first 2000 km, but this morning keeping the above speed bands in mind the needle shot beyond 2000 on multiple occasions. Am I being too cautious or this shooting beyond 2000 rpm is fine? I also feel that because of this being my first Diesel, the driving habit acquired because of petrol engines may also be a reason for me being too picky on the engine noise, shudders, trying to work up the engine in low gears occasionally expecting linear power delivery.

Interesting....my colleague and I were in the market at the same time to buy a car with the same budget and requirements. He was not looking beyond the city 14 and I the Storme. This colleague sat in the Storme yesterday and in the office parking a city 14 was parked next to Storme. He from the driver's seat asked me with a smirk pointing at the city "what car is this?" I said "the city", his reply "I am not buying the city now"..suddenly my chest swelled in pride.

Last edited by garyag79 : 19th June 2014 at 10:46.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:48   #2869
Senior - BHPian

20, 40, 60-70, then 80-90 I have been doing from day 1. In the city though I keep 70ish as my 5th gear shift point. Through the gears its more rpm / feel than speed though. And while the shifts dpend on the current mood and situation they are usually 2500ish through to 3200ish (for the lower 2 gears).

Last edited by ebonho : 19th June 2014 at 10:50.
Old 19th June 2014, 10:56   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
This morning I drove to work keeping all the above suggestions in mind. Till yesterday, I was trying not to make the rpm go beyond 2000 in the first 2000 km, but this morning keeping the above speed bands in mind the needle shot beyond 2000 on multiple occasions. Am I being too cautious or this shooting beyond 2000 rpm is fine? I also feel that because of this being my first Diesel, the driving habit acquired because of petrol engines may also be a reason for me being too picky on the engine noise, shudders, trying to work up the engine in low gears occasionally expecting linear power delivery.
what i understood from the owner's manual, when in running-in period during a cold start, you should not suddenly accelerate and drive at lower RPM's at low gear's. IMO this is the rule we should always follow irrespective of running-in period or not!

Coming to the ideal RPM for safari storme, unless you maintain 2000 rpm at every gear you will always feel that turbo lag. I make sure that as much as possible in every gear i try and maintain minimum 2000 rpm, though it is difficult in bumper to bumper traffic.
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 11:24   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Like you most of us have initially felt uncomfortable when engine crosses 2000 rpm and noise increases. But rest assured, it can comfortably operate up to 3000 & up, not only 2500 rpm.
On the contrary, operating it most of the time at low rpm (specially lugging in higher gears) will not only reduce the combustion efficiency (thus fuel efficiency) but can also increase the carbon deposits in your engine. So next time you hear your engine sound at 2500 rpm, think of it as an expression of exhilaration..rather than a cry of pain.
YGarg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:00   #2872
Distinguished - BHPian

And to keep the engine healthy, like Ford recommends for their vehicles, revv it at 3k rpm for 30 seconds, once a week
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:19   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And to keep the engine healthy, like Ford recommends for their vehicles, revv it at 3k rpm for 30 seconds, once a week
I try and do this every day several times when i get chance. Revv up to 3K rpm for few secs most of the time on 3rd gear or sometimes on 2nd gear. I hope there is no harm in doing this?
Old 19th June 2014, 12:30   #2874
Distinguished - BHPian

Should be fine .. Ford says keep it at 3k for 30 seconds.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:44   #2875
BHPian

Another query, is it okay to idle the Storme diesel engine with the AC on for extended period of time, in an open airy parking under the shade? This after the car has reached its optimum temperature and driven for around 25-30 km in city traffic? I understand that engine might overheat if the radiator is not upto the mark or upper part of the engine may not get enough lubrication if this is done immediately after cold starts. As far as I know, the modern engines and cooling systems allow engines to take AC load in idle mode without any damage. As I have been reading this thing all this while "it is like wearing out the car without raking up the miles" thats about it. I am asking this because I have done this in my petrol Ritz and havent felt any issue in terms of engine noise, low pulling power etc post such usage. Please advice.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:50   #2876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another query, is it okay to idle the Storme diesel engine with the AC on for extended period of time, in an open airy parking under the shade? This after the car has reached its optimum temperature and driven for around 25-30 km in city traffic? I understand that engine might overheat if the radiator is not upto the mark or upper part of the engine may not get enough lubrication if this is done immediately after cold starts. As far as I know, the modern engines and cooling systems allow engines to take AC load in idle mode without any damage. As I have been reading this thing all this while "it is like wearing out the car without raking up the miles" thats about it. I am asking this because I have done this in my petrol Ritz and havent felt any issue in terms of engine noise, low pulling power etc post such usage. Please advice.
Yes, you can idle all day if you want. Overheating usually happens under load. At idle, I often see temp dropping from peak 95 degrees to around 90-92 max even with AC on
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:53   #2877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
garyag79 : Another query, is it okay to idle the Storme diesel engine with the AC on for extended period of time, in an open airy parking under the shade?
tsk1979 : Yes, you can idle all day if you want. Overheating usually happens under load.
Go no further than asking @jaysmokesleaves ! IIRC, he has reported running his Dicor engine continuously for 42 hours. I think this included a long drive + sleep + long drive.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 13:13   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Thanks for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community. And tsk1979 , yours was the first review i had read on safari storme and since have my heart set for the beast. I wish to go for ex variant and have to buy it within a months time. Just wondering if the about-to-be-launched facelifted version would only be the top of the line ZX ? What all changes can we expect in the lower LX and EX variants ? Apologies for any mistake in posting as its my first ever post here
Welcome. Not sure about the launch of the ZX version. Multiple dates going around on the forum and at dealer level. The best you can assume with some surety is this Diwali in my opinion and that I think is more than a month away. If your heart is set on the Storme, go ahead and buy it.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 13:18   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Should be fine .. Ford says keep it at 3k for 30 seconds.

In this done on a stationery car? Won't this in any way hurt the engine?
Old 19th June 2014, 14:54   #2880
Distinguished - BHPian

No such restrictions about Stationary / Running vehicle .. I have been doing it when driving, by dropping a gear while keep speed high(er)

Why should it hurt the engine - you are not in the red

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks