Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 14:22   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How are the sections in bold done bro? I did not know these shockers were adjustable. In my case they simply took off the old ones and put on the new ones.
I do not have a Storme, but still I will try to Explain

Picture one shows an unladen - new shock-absorber (out of the box).

Coming to Narayan's case now. The right shock absorber is working as expected. Before going to the service centre, we must take measurements of installed shock absorber (right side rear in our case). Let us assume the shock-absorber is loaded (installed in vehicle). We must measure out the distance of the green line and black line as in picture 2. Once the new one is installed, the green and black line lengths should match with the old one. We dont really need numerical lengths. Even a small marking on a piece of thread would do.

In general, for best results, the shocks needs to be fastened with Torque-Wrenches. There is a tendency for the service folks to tighten as much as their hands can do, which is incorrect. Incorrect mounting also accounts to premature wear of the shock.

I am trying to indicate the position where torque wrench is needed with the red circle on the third pic. Please execuse, if position is not exact.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-unloaded-shock.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-shock_absorber.jpg

Name:  safari rear left.PNG
Views: 2963
Size:  519.1 KB

Last edited by scopriobharath : 16th September 2014 at 14:23.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:26   #3347
Senior - BHPian

Sociobharat, thanks for the explanation. But wouldn't the black line be the same for all shockers - its essentially the outer tube/cap. Unless the spec of that is changed, its not going to be different from car to car, or laden to unladen. Right? The green line part I understand. Will check.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:32   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sociobharat, thanks for the explanation. But wouldn't the black line be the same for all shockers - its essentially the outer tube/cap. Unless the spec of that is changed, its not going to be different from car to car, or laden to unladen. Right? The green line part I understand. Will check.
Oh Absolutely !! The outer tube or cap remains same, unladen or laden. The reason, i requested to do it is that manufacturers have a tendency to change OEM supplier for various reasons, within the lifecycle of a product. Someone might offer a bigger cap, someone might not. Any Service centre can install a shick absorber, but that attention to detail to align them is lacking at any service centre (including Non-Tata ones)

If we measure out the green and black lines, the total length should be same, irrespective of the manufacturer. This means that the vehicle is balanced equally. This will make sure the weight is distributed evenly on both shocks and not that one shock holds more weight than other. This will also give better handling and reduce the risk of toppling during 4X4 terrain drives.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:35   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Oh Absolutely !! The outer tube or cap remains same, unladen or laden. The reason, i requested to do it is that manufacturers have a tendency to change OEM supplier for various reasons, within the lifecycle of a product. Someone might offer a bigger cap, someone might not. Any Service centre can install a shick absorber, but that attention to detail to align them is lacking at any service centre (including Non-Tata ones)

If we measure out the green and black lines, the total length should be same, irrespective of the manufacturer. This means that the vehicle is balanced equally. This will make sure the weight is distributed evenly on both shocks and not that one shock holds more weight than other. This will also give better handling and reduce the risk of toppling during 4X4 terrain drives.
Thanks buddy. I understood the need of that now. Good point.

What I still do not get is the point about adjustment. Say the (before and after) lengths are not the same. What do you do then?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:56   #3350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I understood the need of that now. Good point.

What I still do not get is the point about adjustment. Say the (before and after) lengths are not the same. What do you do then?
As shown in the picture below, the ball-joint geometry of the suspension assembly needs to be corrected and also should be tourqued to the same value as in the other shock. This is assuming that the bushes of the joint are still in good shape and not brittle.

Note: the picture is illustrative and not Storme specific.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-bjointshockdone.jpg

Last edited by scopriobharath : 16th September 2014 at 14:58.
Old 16th September 2014, 18:17   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Got the beast back after the shocks change. it was covered under the AMC but I am not sure why Tata Motors would not have done sufficient QC to ensure sub standard parts dont get into a vehicle in the first place. For eg in my OHC ( 2001 model ) , the first time I changed the shocks was in 2008 at an ODO of around 70k kms ( that too after I had upgraded to 15" alloys with low profile tyres ).

Anyway, overall service experience was fine and hassle free so I am not cribbing anymore as of now.

P.S. The left rear stop light had also gone bust ( so soon ). That was replaced for Rs180 + service tax ( Rs 80 for the bulb and Rs100 for labour )
Old 17th September 2014, 20:35   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Got the beast back after the shocks change. it was covered under the AMC but I am not sure why Tata Motors would not have done sufficient QC to ensure sub standard parts dont get into a vehicle in the first place. For eg in my OHC ( 2001 model ) , the first time I changed the shocks was in 2008 at an ODO of around 70k kms ( that too after I had upgraded to 15" alloys with low profile tyres ).

Anyway, overall service experience was fine and hassle free so I am not cribbing anymore as of now.

P.S. The left rear stop light had also gone bust ( so soon ). That was replaced for Rs180 + service tax ( Rs 80 for the bulb and Rs100 for labour )
Im glad that the problem got solved. And on a lighter note, cut the poor TATA guys some slack bro . They are improving, albeit at a snails pace .. If only wishes were horses
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 08:00   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Im glad that the problem got solved. And on a lighter note, cut the poor TATA guys some slack bro . They are improving, albeit at a snails pace .. If only wishes were horses
Problem did get solved ( it was afterall just a part replacement ) and like I said overall hasslefree. But think about it ? Are all owners supposed to be checking the underbody etc for such issues regularly ? If I had not looked under the vehicle ( that too because some kids rubber ball went under the beast and I had to take it out ) I would have never seen this. I forgot to thank this kid by the way he he
Old 18th September 2014, 09:12   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Problem did get solved ( it was afterall just a part replacement ) and like I said overall hasslefree. But think about it ? Are all owners supposed to be checking the underbody etc for such issues regularly ? If I had not looked under the vehicle ( that too because some kids rubber ball went under the beast and I had to take it out ) I would have never seen this. I forgot to thank this kid by the way he he
i had posted the same concern earlier. Why are we even expected to suffer because of the manufacturer's laxity or incompetence in the garb of teething issues, earlier lot problem blah blah especially when we are paying our hard earned money. There are no strict laws governing the same. One company comes up with a model in a new segment and its a wild chase thereafter by the rest of them and launches begin without proper testing and problem rectification. After all , we are there to serve as guinea pigs for them . The message to them should be loud and clear - GET YOUR CAR RIGHT AND WE ARE MORE THAN READY TO PAY FOR IT.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:47   #3355
BHPian

Guys
My vehicle is up for its 15k service. I am having a very bad experience with KHT motors trying to renew my insurance and my guess is their A.S.S is also going down the drain. Their head moved out sometime back and i knew him fairly well.

Any recommendations on a good service provider for Storme around north bangalore. Is Aadya good or should i look at someone else. I also have purchased the additional Gold AMC.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:50   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Guys
My vehicle is up for its 15k service. I am having a very bad experience with KHT motors trying to renew my insurance and my guess is their A.S.S is also going down the drain. Their head moved out sometime back and i knew him fairly well.

Any recommendations on a good service provider for Storme around north bangalore. Is Aadya good or should i look at someone else. I also have purchased the additional Gold AMC.
Try EMM EMM MOTORS in Horamavu. it is a TASS. Aadya seems to have too many cars to cater to, unless you intend to take it on a working day.. not too great reviews being heard about them.
Old 18th September 2014, 19:34   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Did a small DIY ( The second one after the coating on rear bumper) using a can of Carlas Plastidip, I covered the chrome grin of the Storme with a matte Black finish:

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_7902.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_7905.jpg

Then after the Plastidip was semi dry, used a small paper blade to cut out the lettering to retain the Storme badging in chrome

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_7907.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_7909.jpg

I somehow liked the panel when it was completely in Black, so may use more of the plastidip to recoat it completely black.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 19:47   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Did a small DIY ( The second one after the coating on rear bumper) using a can of Carlas Plastidip, I covered the chrome grin of the Storme with a matte Black finish

Then after the Plastidip was semi dry, used a small paper blade to cut out the lettering to retain the Storme badging in chrome

I somehow liked the panel when it was completely in Black, so may use more of the plastidip to recoat it completely black.
Wow! Today morning I was behind a storme for quite some time in a jam and I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing to the chrome strip running at the back ( whenever I may have one, that is). You did it even better.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 19:50   #3359
Senior - BHPian

If you change the Tata badge to a smaller one, it will completely change your front end. Very tastefully done.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 20:45   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Lukeskywalker - where are such spray paint cans available ? I want to specifically buy matte grey and paint the roof carrier but couldn't get something online. Any pointers would help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks