Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 00:36   #4636
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

DRLs Kaput!!

After about 4.5 years they've just stopped working. I don't even know when exactly; noticed it just yesterday, when I was about to start the car. Nevertheless, it can't be more than a week as I take it out every weekend.

Checked for the usual suspects (loose connections etc.) but found nothing amiss. Even the fuse is intact, it has a blade fuse in the wiring harness. Just for reference, these were the Tata authorised ones, which I'd gotten fixed at the time of taking delivery.

Would appreciate any pointers from the experts; or is replacement the only option!?
Same with mine (about 6-8 months ago) - took them to the Tata place - they said replacement only - nothing else possible...

Crazy, actually!
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:59   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Same with mine (about 6-8 months ago) - took them to the Tata place - they said replacement only - nothing else possible...

Crazy, actually!
I've ordered another set at the local dealer. Awaiting delivery and fitment, hopefully by this weekend.
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:34   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
I've ordered another set at the local dealer. Awaiting delivery and fitment, hopefully by this weekend.
Aren't they comparitively very expensive?

What are they quoting you nowadays??
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:13   #4639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

DRLs Kaput!!

Would appreciate any pointers from the experts; or is replacement the only option!?
I got all my connections cleaned and it worked. TATA workshops neither had any clue on how to rectify the issue nor had any replacement set with them.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:23   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I got all my connections cleaned and it worked. TATA workshops neither had any clue on how to rectify the issue nor had any replacement set with them.
Being a previous tata safari owner,that is the main thing that put me off Tata products forever the constant niggles and things going kaput, and the iceing on the cake everytime was the confused Tata Asc who never had an iota of a clue on how it happened

Maybe things may have changed with Tata now but i am to scared with that experience to ever go near a tata product again.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:26   #4641
Distinguished - BHPian

I decided to swap my daily driver Ciaz with my comparatively virgin 22k run Storme V400 this week.

4 days of my usual driving, driven every where from the gym runs, to work, to grocery shopping, city runs et all. 550 km have been completed. Took this opportunity to calculate actual fuel efficiency tankful to tankful method.

Filled the tank to the auto cut-off level, and have completed 500 km so far. 25% fuel remains in the tank. Usually the last 25% dries up pretty fast (< 100 km). So I am looking at 550 km for a full tank at the least. Which means, an actual fuel efficiency of 11 kmpl. Not bad considering how fast it was driven on the highways and how long it was idling in the city traffic. 100% front AC on, 60% both front and rear AC on.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20201022_095840253.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20201022_100007858.jpg
By the way, being hours inside the cabin of storme daily has made me appreciate the humungous leap of improvement in the interior quality levels when compared to my last Safari - the 2012 Dicor.

Yes, I do miss that analog clock where the "safari" inscription in cheap plastic is placed now.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20201022_071449952.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd October 2020 at 16:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 22:33   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
What are they quoting you nowadays??
Getting it for 12.8K, including fitment. It is very expensive compared to aftermarket options but I bit the bullet as I intend to keep the beast for another 5 yrs at least and this is the only one which I feel looks OE.

Quote:
Is it; what does the cleanup entail exactly!? I'd opened up the connections on the driver box and the fuse, put it back but didn't matter!?

The clueless aspect is quite possible. Picture this - I've a bunch of fuse taps in the cabin fuse box (dashcam, dashclock). The acc. technician opened it all up to check, kept playing with the fuses, managed to blow one too but had to put it all back as he could find nothing wrong. I was doubtful when he claimed he'd put back evrything as is; and sure enough the headlights didnt work when I reached my parking. Opened the fuse box, only to find one of the taps put into a dummy slot.
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:10   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it; what does the cleanup entail exactly!? I'd opened up the connections on the driver box and the fuse, put it back but didn't matter!?
The connectors between the relay and the lamps were cleaned and one side started working. The guy opened all the connectors again and cleaned them all my Darks started working after months of inactivity. I guess the carbon deposit at connectors was the culprit.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:01   #4644
BHPian

Can anyone help me with the part numbers or a source to get the Safari Storme nudge guard??

We have an explorer edition and it's nudge guard broke in an accident. The front has been naked ever since. I really want the nudge guard back. The car looks very very weird without it.
Old 28th October 2020, 19:43   #4645

Trouble after 89K kms

Fellow Stormers, I have been using my Safari Storme for the last 8 years without any issues but of late it has been behaving badly and need your advice.

The original clutch was replaced around 50K Kms and I was ok with this as it was expected but after another 20-25K Kms I saw gradual loss of power and then the gear changes started to become a little difficult. Gradually the clutch failed again around the 80K kms mark this was a bit strange as the replaced clutch wore out within 30K Kms. I am a pretty sedate driver and most of my driving is on the highway about 70% and 30% in city. I didn’t think too much of this and had the clutch replaced at Aadya Tata service center. Coming to the present these are the issues

1. Recently the vehicle didn’t start I thought it was battery trouble and had it checked with the local mechanic after diagnosing he informed me that the battery & starter is fine he suspects a problem with wiring.
2. Loss of power and higher fuel consumption – The engine has gotten a little noisy and the power has dropped it is no longer the peppy vehicle it used to be. The fuel efficiency which used to hover around 14-15 kmpl on highways has dropped to 10 Kmpl same in city too.
3. Rear suspension has become a little weak I guess this is standard and will need some replacements.

I want to know if the engine trouble is normal around the 90 kms point? What are the probable failure points and what kind of bills can one expect

Does the suspension require a rebuild and what are the parts that would need replacement, my guess is springs & associated parts need to be replaced.

So far I had it serviced at Concorde after this closed I had the clutch replaced at Aadya motors can someone suggest a good service center in Bangalore especially for the engine related issues.
Old 5th November 2020, 14:00   #4646
BHPian

The humble Storme gets to share screen space with Jackie Chan!!

Adding the Youtube URL as well:

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_20201105135459.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 22:09   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
The connectors between the relay and the lamps were cleaned and one side started working. The guy opened all the connectors again and cleaned them all my Darks started working after months of inactivity. I guess the carbon deposit at connectors was the culprit.
Yes, I think my driver showed me this some time ago - now as he's gone, I cannot verify (no time to do so) - just driving the Storme myself now - awesome vehicle actually...
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 00:04   #4648
BHPian

Recently on turning off the vehicle, I was hearing some metal sound. Checked it out and it was the exhaust pipe touching the metal.
Took it to service station. Culprit was exhaust pipe crack. The guy told me due to dual exhaust, this problem is common in Storme and Hexa.
Luckily it was covered under warranty and was replaced.
But as per cost reduction and modularity, now TATA is giving single pipe exhaust of Harrier for Storme.
Mine was replaced with a single pipe exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-27719d1a8c84491e9779df65d5b51797.jpeg  

Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 00:37   #4649
BHPian

Can anyone recommend a smartphone holder for the Storme - either a windshield or a dashboard-attached one (I think an AC blower vent would be okay too) - if it would have wireless charging that would be a bonus. TIA!
Old 15th November 2020, 10:57   #4650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred15 View Post
Trouble after 89K kms

The original clutch was replaced around 50K Kms and I was ok with this as it was expected but after another 20-25K Kms I saw gradual loss of power and then the gear changes started to become a little difficult. Gradually the clutch failed again around the 80K kms mark this was a bit strange as the replaced clutch wore out within 30K Kms. I am a pretty sedate driver and most of my driving is on the highway about 70% and 30% in city.
only 50 K kms for clutch change? This is sad. Also how do you know that the new clutch wore out within 30 k kms? Did you get it physically inspected or are you mentioning it just based on the symptoms like loss of power and less fuel efficiency? It might not be the clutch but something else, which you mentioned in point 2.

Quote:
1. Recently the vehicle didn’t start I thought it was battery trouble and had it checked with the local mechanic after diagnosing he informed me that the battery & starter is fine he suspects a problem with wiring.
Get it checked at T.A.S.S, local mechanics might not have expertise or scanner to check for issues, a full system scan on diagnosis will show up any issues, it could be ignition fuse, faulty starter relay in addition to a weak cell in battery or a bad starter motor.

Quote:
2. Loss of power and higher fuel consumption – The engine has gotten a little noisy and the power has dropped it is no longer the peppy vehicle it used to be. The fuel efficiency which used to hover around 14-15 kmpl on highways has dropped to 10 Kmpl same in city too.
Since your car has done only 80 k kms, it is good time to use Engine flush and engine oil treatment. Also get your injectors cleaned. Over time there will be lot of soot and carbon deposits formed on the mechanical part of injectors and also on the engine head valves, guide seals and pistons, I wouldn't recommend engine oil flush to a high mileage car (1.5 L + kms), but since yours is only 80 K kms, you can comfortably use it.

Injector cleaning can be done in 2 ways, physically remove the injectors and get them cleaned at Delphi / Bosch / Lucas / Mico service centers, otherwise you can use this injector cleaner
Liqui Moly diesel injector cleaner

This product can be mixed in 1 tankful of diesel, It says it is not suitable for Storme in amazon vehicle compatibility list, may be it is not fed into the system, but it is actually suitable. It is not suitable for BS6 cars with DPF, for all other diesel cars we can safely use this product.

I also used Liqui Moly engine oil flush and oil treatment, here are the product links :

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Engine-Oil-Flush/dp/B01HSAGL34/

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-LMOA-Engine-Treatment/dp/B01III7GSY

Note: Flush should be used only once, it is not recommended during every oil change, also it is not advisable to use engine oil flush on older cars which clocked more than 1.5 lakh kms.
Quote:
3. Rear suspension has become a little weak I guess this is standard and will need some replacements. Does the suspension require a rebuild and what are the parts that would need replacement, my guess is springs & associated parts need to be replaced.
Could be worn out shock bushes and some other bushes (rubber parts), nothing major would fail in the rear suspension for just 80 k kms.

Quote:
I want to know if the engine trouble is normal around the 90 kms point? What are the probable failure points and what kind of bills can one expect
As I previously mentioned, it might not be any engine trouble, engine trouble means excess consumption of engine oil, check your engine oil dipstick and if it is drinking too much oil, you might have to worry, but as I said, get the injectors cleaned, or try cheaper injector cleaner liquid in a tankful of diesel during a highway drive, drive the vehicle at high speeds like 100 kmph in lower gears (3rd or 4th) for 5 to 10 minutes, you can smell carbon burning smell, that's the carbon / soot deposited on the engine components like valves, pistons, exhaust manifold, turbo components, cat, exhaust pipes.

Checkout GTO's post here which will give you an exact idea on what to do
here (Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others)
and my post too. (Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others)
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed