Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 09:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
NET ON ROAD 656,260.00

No other similarly specced car could match that price
Since we have been allotted a Feb 2013 manufactured car (8 months old car) we asked for some cash discount, but they were not ready for that as the car is 2013 manufactured & they offer cash discounts only on year old models. We then asked if they can give us the set of 4 alloy wheels to which also they said no. After some hard bargaining, we managed to squeeze in the 2 years AMC (Annual Maintenance Contract) worth INR 6.5K absolutely free . So for 2 years after the car purchase, when do the servicing we won't be charged for any consumables like engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc.

Besides the above some of the freebies that we managed to extract are:
  1. Mud flaps
  2. Floor mats
  3. Seat covers (Fabric), not in stock currently, but will be made available later
  4. Car cover
The PDI of car was done yesterday & today morning it will be sent to RTO for registration. Expecting to get the delivery on coming Saturday, 26th Oct.
Old 25th October 2013, 23:57   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The PDI of car was done yesterday & today morning it will be sent to RTO for registration. Expecting to get the delivery on coming Saturday, 26th Oct.
Congratulations to your family for the new car. Please do share pictures of the car, especially the interiors. Also please let us know if there continues to be slight vibration felt through the gear lever, and a not so smooth feel when pressing the clutch pedal.

I test drove the Vista D90 last year, and felt it was an excellent package. The only negative is that the design lacks flair, especially the interiors. The colour combination is great, but things like the funnily square topped gear knob, door handles, and steering wheel look as if they were designed for function, rather than form as well.

We were 5+ in the car, and she pulled effortlessly. Ride was comfortable and the long travel suspension is really a change from the original Indica.

Superb value for money. Hope sales pick up for this car. Cheers!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 06:51   #153
BHPian

Is the rumor of a new Indica Vista 2014 model in January confirmed? I have it on my shortlist but decided to wait a few months to have an even better shortlist
Old 26th October 2013, 07:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since we have been allotted a Feb 2013 manufactured car (8 months old car) we asked for some cash discount, but they were not ready for that as the car is 2013 manufactured & they offer cash discounts only on year old models. We then asked if they can give us the set of 4 alloy wheels to which also they said no. After some hard bargaining, we managed to squeeze in the 2 years AMC (Annual Maintenance Contract) worth INR 6.5K absolutely free . So for 2 years after the car purchase, when do the servicing we won't be charged for any consumables like engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc....
Hey! Don't let them show much attitude, afterall it IS >8 months old, if you don't mind the cost of AMC, I'd rather you demand for a fresh (Aug+) piece, talk to other dealers and get the final quotes they offer.

You may happen to decide & go ahead, but honestly, if they show attitude, don't hesitate one bit to threaten to cancel the booking.

Have parallel negotiations with other dealers. VistaD90 is surely a VFM product, spacious & quite powerful. You'll make that out better when on highways.

Stock tyres are 14" right? Consider switching to 15" tyres once you take the plunge - It betters the handling.

My 2 cents,
GN.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 08:09   #155
Senior - BHPian

@autoIndian - can you also share what was the final on road after discounts of similarly specced Swift, Ritz, UVA, Liva in case you evaluated them as well

Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 19:28   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Congratulations to your family for the new car. Please do share pictures of the car, especially the interiors. Also please let us know if there continues to be slight vibration felt through the gear lever, and a not so smooth feel when pressing the clutch pedal.
Thank you VeluM for your wishes. Today afternoon we took the delivery of the car. Have taken lot of exterior pictures, but haven't taken any of the interiors. Will share with the them over here once I get my camera back from my B-I-L. I drove the car today for 25-30 kms, but did not feel any kind of vibration through the gear lever nor was there any roughness in clutch movement. Both were butter smooth. Did you experience this in a TD car?

Quote:
I test drove the Vista D90 last year, and felt it was an excellent package. The only negative is that the design lacks flair, especially the interiors. The colour combination is great, but things like the funnily square topped gear knob, door handles, and steering wheel look as if they were designed for function, rather than form as well.
Will take the gear knob picture tomorrow. Meanwhile I have pasted the picture of gear knob from the Vista brochure below for reference. As far as I can recollect it is not squarish. I agree with you, it lacks flair. It has more function than form. People who are more inclined towards form, design, curves etc should not look beyond the Swift or i20. My in laws family has 4 adult members & 2 kids. No car in the "so called" premium hatchback segment could seat the whole family comfortably as the Vista & for them function mattered the most over form, hence the choice of Vista.

Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-vista-gear-knob.jpg

Quote:
We were 5+ in the car, and she pulled effortlessly. Ride was comfortable and the long travel suspension is really a change from the original Indica.

Superb value for money. Hope sales pick up for this car. Cheers!
Absolutely . The 90ps powered Quadrajet is a gem of an engine & irrespective of the payload the car pulls effortlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Is the rumor of a new Indica Vista 2014 model in January confirmed? I have it on my shortlist but decided to wait a few months to have an even better shortlist
Even I have come across the Vista facelift on many online forums & magazines. The camouflaged Vista has been spied at many places, however not very sure what is drastically different in that. Hope they retain the D90 variant in that, simply superb & value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hey! Don't let them show much attitude, afterall it IS >8 months old, if you don't mind the cost of AMC, I'd rather you demand for a fresh (Aug+) piece, talk to other dealers and get the final quotes they offer.
We could have done that, but to tell you the truth, expecting high demand the D90 was produced in large numbers in Q4-2012 & Q1-2013. However TML soon realized that this variant being at premium (compared to the 75ps version) is not moving that fast. Somewhere around Q2/Q3-2013, they have stopped the production of this variant. (confirmed from reliable sources within the factory). Hence even if we shifted the dealer, it was highly unlikely that we could have laid our hands on a recently manufactured car.

Quote:
You may happen to decide & go ahead, but honestly, if they show attitude, don't hesitate one bit to threaten to cancel the booking.
On the contrary, they never showed any attitude, otherwise we would have never returned to the Concorde showroom from the day we stepped in. They were quite courteous & because of the unsold inventory we could squeeze in the AMC

Quote:
Have parallel negotiations with other dealers. VistaD90 is surely a VFM product, spacious & quite powerful. You'll make that out better when on highways.
Agreed 100% on that front . This car is going to be a beast on the highways. When we can get the 90ps powered Vista D90 VX model for 6.56 lacs on-road, against the 7+ lacs priced 75ps Swift VDi (lacking the basic safety feature of ABS/EBD), there cannot be any better VFM package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
@autoIndian - can you also share what was the final on road after discounts of similarly specced Swift, Ritz, UVA, Liva in case you evaluated them as well Thanks
As mentioned above Swift VDi was around 7.26 lacs, ZDi was few thousands shy of 8 lacs (Ritz & UVA we didn't enquire). Liva GD was also touching 7 lacs, & even after paying such hefty amount it was lacking some must have features like fog lamps, rear wiper, ABS/EBD etc.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 23:10   #157
BHPian

Had been using a pre-owned Chevy Optra 1.8LT petrol for the last 3 years. With rising fuel costs and plans to do more road trips - we decided to become a diesel head (is there something called a Diesel Head ). Have been scouting for a sub 4 meter car (mostly a hatch) for the last 3 months. Done numerous and repeat test-drives, since I was well pampered in my top-end Optra - I would not settle without air bags, etc - which sadly only come in top-end variants in India.

I was concerned on 3 factors for each car I TD:
  • Price
  • Ground Clearnace - as Bangalore roads are full of potholes
  • Turning Radius - since the parking at my place is congested, I can't afford to sweat everytime to park.

Below is what I found / opinion-ed.

[P.S: All prices quoted are OTR Bangalore and top-end variants]

Fiat Punto
? OTR: 9L - On the higher side.
+ GC : 185 - The best in class ground clearance and ready to soak Bangalore's roads.
- TR : 5m - Turning radius of 5m but given it has the longest wheelbase, it is also one of the toughest to take an U-Turn.
+ Good equipment list, liked the MID that was superb and also the solid build.

VW Polo
? OTR: 8.5L - For a 3-pot engine it is a little high.
+ GC : 168 - On paper this seems good, but on my 3rd test drive I took it on a really bad patch - lo, I felt so bad for the TD vehicle. It constantly kept hitting it's belly with just 3 adults on-board.
- TR : 4.9m - Was easy to turn around and having a EPS (Electronic Power Steering) made it a breeze.
+ 15' alloys look very good, the 3 pot is still peppy to drive in the turbo range.

Etios Liva
? OTR: 7.8L - The cheapest car I TDed.
+ GC : 170 - Handled bad roads well too.
- TR : 4.8m - Comes with EPS so it is a breeze to drive around.
- It feels so cheap in quality right from the thinnest possible sheet metal used to plastics. The top-end diesel even lacks a tachometer - which age are we at? Hate the center instrument cluster too.

i10 Grand
? OTR: 7.91L - No discounts, even corporate discount since it is a new launch.
+ GC : 165 - Has a very low seating feel that didn't go well, especially for the rear passengers.
- TR : 4.8m - This EPS is way better than the i20 (coming up next) but everything is small - including the steering wheel.
+ Has some segment firsts - but that's about it.
- The engine seems to be tuned only for the city, it will run out of breath in highways easily.

i20
? OTR: 9.4L - The costliest hatch.
+ GC : 165 - The ride is like sitting on top of an elephant, you are swaying around.
- TR : 5.2m - Turning radius of 5.2m equaled my Optra that was a sedan. But the EPS is very pathetic - did 4 TDs and even till the end felt it lacked even a little feedback.
+ Good equipment list, but simple features like DTE, avg. fuel efficiency missing.

Honda Amaze
? OTR: 9.7L - No discounts but stocks readily available during Diwali (speaks a lot about the initial crazy booking period that is done).
+ GC : 165 - Handling was very good.
- TR : 4.8m - Turning radius of 4.8m for a sedan - think again. It was fun to TD on Bangalore traffic.
- Lacks even the basic equipment list - no climate control / bluetooth phone connectivity even in top-end
+ Drive was very good and also the space.

TATA Vista D90
? OTR: 8.4L - Good pricing.
+ GC : 165 - The stiffer suspension is best suited for Bangalore roads.
- TR : 5m - Turning radius of 5m - though lacks EPS, but found it easy to do U-Turn.
+ Good equipment list - touch screen + on-board navigation, climate control.

There goes the verdict - I fell in love with the Vista D90 ZX+. Though many of my friends and relatives advised against going for a Tata vehicle - I was convinced reading numerous reviews that the newer batches from mid-2012 are good. My SA confirmed on this too and said D90 was the best car built in-terms of quality till date by TATA.

We did a PDI today and made the full payment to Concorde Motors, expecting the vehicle to be ready by Thursday(10/31) or next week.
jasonblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 00:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
Had been using a pre-owned Chevy Optra 1.8LT petrol for the last 3 years. With rising fuel costs and plans to do more road trips - we decided to become a diesel head (is there something called a Diesel Head ). Have been scouting for a sub 4 meter car (mostly a hatch) for the last 3 months.
  • Price
  • Ground Clearnace - as Bangalore roads are full of potholes
  • Turning Radius - since the parking at my place is congested, I can't afford to sweat everytime to park.
That's a fairly exhaustive list. Just curious why the Micra, and more importantly, the Figo is not in that list?
Old 27th October 2013, 06:46   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

That's a fairly exhaustive list. Just curious why the Micra, and more importantly, the Figo is not in that list?
Micra - was inclined with the new Micra, but the two dealerships in Bangalore didn't have the display vehicle let alone a TD one. Waited for almost 3 weeks for a TD vehicle - I had to call Surya Nissan almost every few days to check and they kept saying it will be available in 2-3 days for weeks!! Seeing this attitude from the dealers made me feel weary of Nissan and also made me think twice with the background of many bad experiences of fellow BHPians.

Figo - I had booked a Ecosport earlier and waited 2 months, once it became clear that the car will come only by mid 2014 - given the slow fulfillment and parts going off in Titanium - I got it canceled. In this 2 months I made multiple visits to Metro Ford but never considered the Figo since it was on a old platform with a old engine. Also rear seat was very cramped.

Btw, I missed Swift from the above list - it was fun to drive but was ages old in terms of design - rear seat was not spacious too.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:35   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There goes the verdict - I fell in love with the Vista D90 ZX+. Though many of my friends and relatives advised against going for a Tata vehicle - I was convinced reading numerous reviews that the newer batches from mid-2012 are good. My SA confirmed on this too and said D90 was the best car built in-terms of quality till date by TATA.

We did a PDI today and made the full payment to Concorde Motors, expecting the vehicle to be ready by Thursday(10/31) or next week.
Congratulations jasonblr on booking the Vista D90 ZX+. I agree with most of your points in the comparo above with other cars. When we finalized the Vista D90 VX for my B-I-L, we did take the Test drives of most of the cars above. No other car in similar price range offered features, which the Vista D90 was offering. The higher seating position, spacious rear seat, roomy interiors & the extra power were icing on the cake.

I think you have made, not the right choice, but the best choice. Do share with us you initial experience & start a separate ownership thread.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:46   #161
BHPian

Thanks buddy!! As you rightly said Vista turned out to be a true VFM proposition with the 3yr Insurance holiday + extended warranty + 2yr AMC (was a little confused on this - but a bill of 0 at a service will be a delight).

Quote:
I think you have made, not the right choice, but the best choice. Do share with us you initial experience & start a separate ownership thread.
Thanks for the suggestion - will start one soon after getting the delivery.

One other question - Any suggestions if a paint sealant is worth? If yes, 3M is it worth the price?
jasonblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 11:25   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One other question - Any suggestions if a paint sealant is worth? If yes, 3M is it worth the price?
Different people have different thoughts on this. And a lot depends upon the store manager and the 'rapport' you have with him. Few outlets are really good.

Coming to the point, I would say it's just a placebo effect and not worth it after I tried it on both our cars. You would also change your opinion if you know the nuances of detailing and not just the marketing terms.

If you do not know much about detailing and since your car is quite old, interms of manufacture, you can give the paint sealant treatment a shot. Would cost around 3k~4k at 3M.

BTW, congrats on the D90.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 13:24   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata's paint quality of one of the best (if not the best). Proof of the pudding? My car is 9.3 years old now, with no paint protection, no wax polish, no any kind of treatment. (Only care taken is washed with plain water regularly & parked in covered parking most of the times)

Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-07june-002.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-07june-003.jpg  

Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-07june-006.jpg  

Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-07june-009.jpg  

Last edited by AutoIndian : 27th October 2013 at 13:27.
Old 27th October 2013, 13:34   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Liva GD was also touching 7 lacs, & even after paying such hefty amount it was lacking some must have features like fog lamps, rear wiper, ABS/EBD etc.
Best wishes to your family and have a happy/safe driving.
Meanwhile, I remember that the Liva GD comes with ABS + EBD and remote locking with door ajar warning. Probably it lacks the fog lamps for that cost with rear wiper.
http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 27th October 2013 at 13:35.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 14:49   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Best wishes to your family and have a happy/safe driving.
Meanwhile, I remember that the Liva GD comes with ABS + EBD and remote locking with door ajar warning. Probably it lacks the fog lamps for that cost with rear wiper.
http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx
Thank you Balaji for your wishes & yes you are right the Liva GD indeed comes with ABS + EBD as a standard fitment (just now confirmed by referring the Liva brochure). It is the "G" petrol variant on which it is optional.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks