Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 21:53   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post

Agree to some extent. But how come it got 4 stars?
Hi.

Sorry, not starting anything again here. Just casually was going through things and had not seen this comment.

But TeamBHP official review threads - the whole list - at 1st glance - ALMOST all have 5 stars, while this 1 has 4.

So I don't know if it's a good thing or actually a visual manifestation of the comments of other BHPians that are still flowing.
(While I agree to MOST of what is still being written, a lot of which is being repeatedly pointed out by multiple BHPians - respecting the PM sent by mods and not commenting or vehemently agreeing with words to every comment.)

Apologies again - don't wish to start anything again.

Attached screenshot to visualize my statement.

Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review-1.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 18:48   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Example: During the Storme review the reviewer got a close up view on how the front seat chassis was exposed, but similar setup in a Xylo, Scorpio and XUV are not commented?
I for one, am still searching for the Official review of the Xylo & Scorpio. Could you please share a link?

Thanks.
Old 6th April 2013, 22:05   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I for one, am still searching for the Official review of the Xylo & Scorpio. Could you please share a link?

Thanks.
May be you should try and sit in them and see. Enough of them around.
Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 00:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reviews need to be unbiased period. If a reviewer has a problem with the brand or the maker, he/she should refrain from reviewing a new product in the first place.

Some how most reviews turn into Tata bashing threads. If we cast an unbiased view around, there are plenty of Tata users who are happy with the cars, the service, the experience and have not faced the niggles as faced by a few.
Example: During the Storme review the reviewer got a close up view on how the front seat chassis was exposed, but similar setup in a Xylo, Scorpio and XUV are not commented?
It is futile to expect a change in perception, especially when people seem to revel in playing to the gallery by reinforcing the stereotype.

Some things will never change - let it be.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:14   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It is futile to expect a change in perception, especially when people seem to revel in playing to the gallery by reinforcing the stereotype.

I wonder why you think so. M&M was perceived as a maker of agricultural crude jeeps. Now XUV 500 is perceived as a premium SUV in the 15L bracket.
Hyundai was perceived as a maker of economy hatches. Its premium sedan, the highly capable Sonata got clobbered in the market despite being a very decent offering as opposed to Camry or Accord. But it turned the tables with fluidic, and no the Elantra is a best seller in the segment. (Old elantra could not even sell for 9L)
It just takes one or two years of sustain effort in its service centers, quality of product, quality of service, and marketing to turn the tables.
And sometimes lack of effort can bomb an established brand. For example, the Nissan Micra should sell like hot cakes, just like the duster, but it does not, even though its a lovely car.
The Manufacturer is not just responsible for the car. Its responsible for the entire ecosystem. Spares, Service, Service centers, customer care department, turn around time, Quality of vehicle out of showroom, long term reliability.

So that hard almost impossible to use gearshift on the 10,000km done Tata vista at a showroom may not be Tata's fault at all(the service center may be negligent), in the end the customer goes out thinking. They cannot maintain their own test drive car, how can they maintain mine?
One hard gearshift is all it takes.

Just like the worn out brake pads on a Micra which came for TD made us put our money on the Liva, even though we liked the Micra much more.
If our experience had been more positive, things would have been different.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 11:42   #96

Agree Tanveer, I exchanged my old Indica DLX turbo 2007 model for new India D90 VX. Mostly due to rising maintenance cost, which seemed higher than the other similar priced models of other companies. My last year bill came to be Rs. 40,000 due to parts failing and did not wanted to get stuck in maintenance cycle.

However the new Vista D90 seems to be good but the disappointment has started on day one, the Bluetooth Microphone is not working and even as simple item as clock cannot be set, also distance to go information shows 273 KM on a tank full (i.e. 44 liters of diesel).

I have started wondering, if tata's have learn't at all over these years on quality front, now I will have to get these items fixed at the dreaded service center on a one day old car. What does it take them to just maintain consistent quality for their products.

And yes I am not a tata basher, I have been a relatively satisfied owner of old Indica except soaring maintenance cost after 5 years of driving (and just 42K on odometer) but my experiences so far is forcing me to change my view.

I will come up with an initial ownership review of D90 VX once it completes a month and have driven couple of thousand kilometers.
Mahendraps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 19:48   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahendraps View Post
Agree Tanveer, I exchanged my old Indica DLX turbo 2007 model for new India D90 VX. Mostly due to rising maintenance cost, which seemed higher than the other similar priced models of other companies. My last year bill came to be Rs. 40,000 due to parts failing and did not wanted to get stuck in maintenance cycle.

However the new Vista D90 seems to be good but the disappointment has started on day one, the Bluetooth Microphone is not working and even as simple item as clock cannot be set, also distance to go information shows 273 KM on a tank full (i.e. 44 liters of diesel).

I have started wondering, if tata's have learn't at all over these years on quality front, now I will have to get these items fixed at the dreaded service center on a one day old car. What does it take them to just maintain consistent quality for their products.

And yes I am not a tata basher, I have been a relatively satisfied owner of old Indica except soaring maintenance cost after 5 years of driving (and just 42K on odometer) but my experiences so far is forcing me to change my view.

I will come up with an initial ownership review of D90 VX once it completes a month and have driven couple of thousand kilometers.
Hi Mahendraps,
The niggles that you have mentioned, was they present during the PDI check? Just my opinion, you should consolidate the niggles and then straightaway escalate to some higher authorities.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:06   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi Mahendraps,
The niggles that you have mentioned, was they present during the PDI check? Just my opinion, you should consolidate the niggles and then straightaway escalate to some higher authorities.
Yes Balaji they were present though I had to deal with other idiotic issues when getting my car from KHT motors, whitefield, Bangalore. One of them being signing up on a form that mentioned 5 liters of fuel have been filled up while the Odometer showed it to be empty, with distance to go as only 7 kms. The guys were trying to prove me as a stupid and naive buyer who does not now any thing about how the instruments work. I told them that either the distance to go is faulty (that I believe it still is) or some one is trying to pull a fast one on me. It turns out that there was just around half liter diesel was present, since I argued with them and got another 5 liter of diesel filled before signing the PDI doc. This got confirmed when I did a full top up which came out to be 38.4 liters (44 l capacity) right after taking delivery. The Odo was showing 30kms when I took delivery.

Coming back to the original point, in getting sorted such similar niggles, I did not check clock and bluetooth during PDI as I focused on other components (a large part from the content of check list that is provided on Team-bhp ). It was on my way back home after delivery that I found them that they were faulty.

Can any one help me how to escalate these directly to the authority in Tata motors who would actually listen and take note of these rather than doing a lip service. Since even though they appear to be minor to be escalated, but these are the very same things that reduce the overall trust in quality of a product (the unknowns that may just fall apart).
Old 10th April 2013, 13:44   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahendraps View Post

Can any one help me how to escalate these directly to the authority in Tata motors who would actually listen and take note of these rather than doing a lip service. Since even though they appear to be minor to be escalated, but these are the very same things that reduce the overall trust in quality of a product (the unknowns that may just fall apart).
I searched in the forum, got to see this below thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...centers-3.html

IndigoXLGrandDi, a teambhp member has posted the email id details. You could try your luck with this.
Old 10th April 2013, 15:36   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reviews need to be unbiased period. If a reviewer has a problem with the brand or the maker, he/she should refrain from reviewing a new product in the first place. Yes if during review he/she find points to criticize, please highlight the same. Some how most reviews turn into Tata bashing threads. If we cast an unbiased view around, there are plenty of Tata users who are happy with the cars, the service, the experience and have not faced the niggles as faced by a few.
The reviewer has no problem with any brand and went with a clear focus of the product. The strengths of the product have been equally highlighted but unfortunately you and Dr. Suraj fail to see beyond the negatives that are mentioned. I fully stand by the review and my views of the product.

Like Sheel mentioned, Tanveer highlighted the exposed chassis on the Storme because he saw it and that is how it was. Did you not read his praise about the nicer things on the Storme as compared to the older version? Team-bhp hasn't reviewed the Xylo and the Scorpio, therefore we only rely on user reports. The XUV thread is open and not locked for you. A picture by you would help ascertain the facts. Let's not get into mindless bashing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Hi.

But TeamBHP official review threads - the whole list - at 1st glance - ALMOST all have 5 stars, while this 1 has 4.

So I don't know if it's a good thing or actually a visual manifestation of the comments of other BHPians that are still flowing.
(While I agree to MOST of what is still being written, a lot of which is being repeatedly pointed out by multiple BHPians - respecting the PM sent by mods and not commenting or vehemently agreeing with words to every comment.)

Apologies again - don't wish to start anything again.
Perhaps, the number of people interested in the Vista D90 is far less than the others? I am sure we'd get a similar response if we review the upgraded Punto.

Thanks for taking the comparison to a new low. There are various other threads with zero stars, does that mean they are pointless? Again, this is just an add-on thread to the original Vista review which you have nothing to say about. Please find the link here. Don't quickly jump and say that the thread has just 7 pages of replies against 20+ that the Swift has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

True, perception can change when we see significant and noticable developments on every aspect of a car ownership and that includes the service station experience as well.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th April 2013 at 19:09.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 22:54   #101
Senior - BHPian

We see a large number of Tata fans in the forum. If only there were more in the market Tata could have sold more cars. I own a Vista ( 2009 bought used in 2012 ) and can say how crudely and carelessly its put together - fit,finish, quality of materials, ergonomics. As a Tata vehicle owner it feels bad to see most threads turn into Tata bashing mode but that's Tata's own creation and not because people have nothing else to do than bash Tata.
Tsk's examples of Hyundai and M&M are relevant. Let Tata take the efforts and prove its critics wrong. Finally only sales matters

Last edited by narayan : 11th April 2013 at 22:55.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:33   #102

Well said narayan, today's tata woes are their own creation and no body else is to blame for it.
Being a indica owner for 6 years (indica turbo and now vista D90) it is appalling to see how little there DNA has changed when it comes to giving priority to quality and I am just not talking about material fit an finish. It is the Total Cost of ownership that has alarmed the customers over the time, thus whatever the trust that they had for tata vehicles has faded away over the time. Rightly said they will be judged by how many vehicles are sold.

Bigger question is, will they ever learn that quality makes a brand and not otherwise, if not in 15 years of there existence in Car industry then when? And it is not just the design or product, but complete end to end experience including service, customer care and more importantly Total Cost of Ownership over longer period of time, this is what will build loyalty and trust amongst customers.

Now with Honda's launch of Amaze, TATA is bound to be pushed to number 6th, a pretty shameful retreat at this.
Old 13th April 2013, 18:07   #103

Thanks Balaji.

Third day and the handbrakes of my new car stopped working. I have given to KHT motors service for Bluetooth and Handbrake repair. Hoping to get it fixed. And I am not a rash driver, on the contrary quite cautious.

Gave an ear full to sales folks but seems they are used to it.

The ride and handling are great though.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

If I look at the D90 offering from TATA and the price point at which it is offered; I do not see any reason for customers to look at D90 as a competing product.

1. The landed cost of the top model in Delhi (Ex Showroom 6.83 Lac) is in excess of 8.10 Lac, this is more than the brand can fectch. A mere additional 50K will put through Desire, Amaze among Sedans and almost all Hatchbacks with superior built, fit and finish (barring i20).

2. Selling Manza Diesel at 5.99 Lac is going to kill D90 market as Manza is better in terms of space and subatsnce with same D90 engine.

3. Tata is still pulling on with Indica Badge which is left with no juice. They need to go back to drawing board and develop a fresh product

- Consider a diesel motor with AT (no compitition)
- Change rear light / tail lamp design
- Increase boot space in the hatch
- Improve fit and finish, specially rattles and niggles
- Consider manitanance package (Chevy was able to drive good sales for spark)
- Provide safety features as VFM (look at Amaze Diesel)
- Improve service experiance (Free service camps)
- Launch new products at regular intervals
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 02:26   #105
BHPian

I just checked out the vista d90 zx yesterday.was looking for good driver seat ergonomics ( I am 6 ft 3 and sport a turban)

This is the best hatch from headroom point of view.better than the manza cause t had an adjustable seat height.

Really tall drivers should check it out.

Most Viewed