Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 10:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CRV or ___ please help choose new car

If safety is of top priority, let me tell you that you're better off in a sedan and NOT an SUV. The lower center of gravity means you have a higher chance of steering yourself out of situations given the speed you might have been doing, incase of a blowout, the car is less prone to toppling over, the list goes on. On the comfort front, since the car is again lower, you have enhanced ride quality. Lighter means easier on the planet with better fuel efficiency too
To me, an SUV offers only a couple of advantages; ingress/egress (you telling me you cannot do one sit-up for each journey made? ) offroadability.

Anyway if your heart is set on an SUV, the CR-V is a brilliant choice which now comes with half a dozen airbags and a stability program.
If you want more from an SUV, buy the Pajero Sport (as long as you do your research and find a decent dealer, it will be smooth sailing since they are no VW group)
Ssangyong Rexton is really not bad and must be given a chance too.
The Fortuner simply fails in terms of safety and equipment so I believe it is just a large, reliable people mover (no offence to any owners out there you obviously have your reasons for buying one but if someone has just been in a crash and is considering a car based on good safety standards, you have to admit this isn't the one) not worth more than 17 lakhs.

If your mind says sedan, we have got the new Corolla headed our way and I would like to see what kind of safety equipment they stuff into the car considering their flagship Camry has only a Ritz ZDi rivaling spec-list.
The Kizashi, is a really good option. Been voted top safety pick plus by the NHTSA, up there with the volvos in terms of crash safety. Brilliant dynamics, gem of a naturally aspirated motor with a deadly sound post 4000revs. While parts are imported, there is no issue with availability (ask any GV/Kiz owners out there) Seat comfort is heavenly, brakes done by Akebono (Jap bullet trains and the new Mclaren P1) have incredible stopping power. Quality inside out is up there with the Europeans; Suzuki even did a test once where they blindfolded people and asked them touch, smell and discern whether they were in a Suzuki, Audi or Lexus and most guessed an Audi. Sound damping is lovely so you can either have a relaxed quiet drive or an exhilarating, head turning one. The CVT box will keep you happy and the paddle shifters and tiptronic mode ought to keep your family pleased Fuel efficiency from an old school 2.4l engine which can only talk about its variable valve timing, is not bad I regularly get 10-12 in the city and as long as speeds are under 140, 13-14 on the highway (AC is always on) However it is easy to get low figures once you're addicted to the motors snarl and strong unrelenting punch. Just stomp on the accelerator pedal and watch the instant fuel consumption bar leap to the end of the scale and deal out huge blows of guilt to your conscience.
Here are the Disadvantages:
Not loaded with many immediately apparent Gizmos
You will have to keep a close watch on service because only a few employees are equipped to deal with the car
Size is adequate at 20l but don't expect an Accord this is sort of in between a Jetta and Accord
Poor aftermarket support
Poor initial response from the CVT under 10kmph. Switch to manual mode and its much better.

Sorry to add such a long report on the Kizashi. If you want I could give you details on any other car too

Goodluck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th November 2013 at 10:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 10:49   #77
BHPian

I would suggest you try the Nissan X-trail: falls within your budget, has road presence, and on and off-road capability. Also will not look like another me-too car, not many out there.
autonarr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:06   #78
BHPian

My vote goes for the CR-V AT AWD. as you have mentioned your running is only 500kms per month so high fuel bills are not an issue. And as you have mentioned, it has 6 air bags along with ABS and EBD and disc brakes on all four wheels. Though the CR-V is sold as an SUV, it is very car like to drive and handles like one as well. Plus I think the Ground clearance is only 170mm so body roll is quite controlled.

Since safety is one of your primary concerns, the AWD will also come in very handy in slippery situations as well as emergency avoidance maneuvers.

More over, the current CR-V was only launched in India in feb/march this year so no problems of it being outdated or replaced anytime soon. Go for it!
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
their flagship Camry has only a Ritz ZDi rivaling spec-list.
I seriously doubt that.The Camry hybrid has a host of features some of them a first in its segment.Please check out the TeamBhp review of the same.The only thing it lacks is a sunroof and at least 2 more airbags.But it makes Up for that with the hybrid motor which at ideal condition can give you lots of power torque and fuel efficiency.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I seriously doubt that.The Camry hybrid has a host of features some of them a first in its segment.Please check out the TeamBhp review of the same.The only thing it lacks is a sunroof and at least 2 more airbags.But it makes Up for that with the hybrid motor which at ideal condition can give you lots of power torque and fuel efficiency.
Perhaps. I am not very well versed when it comes to Hybrids but do check out the normal version. At more than 25 Lacs on road, it offers only 2 airbags, abs and ebd. While us Indians don't tend to command more in terms of safety, I think it is highly unethical on the part of a global superstar like Toyota to offer such low levels of safety on a car in this price range.
Just my opinion you need not share the same

PS: just did some reading up on the hybrid version, even for a car that is around 35 lacs on road, offering no airbags for rear passengers is a dark and dirty approach to dealing with their "beloved" Indian customers.

Toyotas are brilliant in their own right and in a lot of situations, I have no qualms with recommending them to people. This is just a purely unbiased view I take on the company. Every company does regrettable things here in our lawless country but this stands out that's all.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th November 2013 at 12:14.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:18   #81
BHPian

Good to know that you and your family are safe (after the highway accident).

If you have decided for SUVs, I would suggest you to take a thorough test-drive of the Toyota Fortuner. It is a reliable car, tried-&-tested and a better-selling car than the CRV. But, I second the opinion of IshaanIan and would suggest a high-end sedan for safety. SUVs have great road presence and off-road capability but when it comes to features (even safety features), SUVs fall short of them when compared to equally priced sedans. Plus, Fortuner is a diesel (you want a petrol) though the Sportivo AT 4X2 would be great to drive!

With a budget of 25 Lac and Petrol cars to choose from, I would list:
-Hyundai Sonata (Trust me, looks gorgeous and plush)

Or why don't you stretch your budget and get a 320i?
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes as Loud just said, if you are not a huge fan of "driving" as such, and believe that your old Corolla (may its soul rest in peace) was good to drive, then the Hyundai Sonata would suit your needs well. All new Hyundais are loaded to the gills with gizmos these days so you have show off rights While I'm not a huge fan of the fluidic styling, it is stunning and many believe it looks awesome, the design certainly has worked charms for the company. The car has an extremely plush ride and smooth engine. Since it is a Hyundai, you ought to get good A.S.S. too.
The Bad:
It is afterall a Hyundai so it is a boat but then I do not think you will have any regrets coming from a Corolla
Hyundai isn't known for cheap parts of late
Don't let the engine fool you with what is on paper; it's one of those lazy ones

Here's another rarely explored car:
The Nissan Teana. If comfort is priority, then nothing beats the Teana, this side of 50 lacs. Extremely spacious with an ottoman seat, panoramic sun roof etc are the kind of features that you can both brag about and enjoy, yourself, at the same time Safety equipment list is excellent, Ride is again brilliant.
The Bad:
I don't know myself since I haven't nor have any of my friends had any experience with this car, but I'm guessing service might be an issue. Just might.
Lazy motor again
Fuel economy
Looks

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th November 2013 at 12:52.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

You cannot compare a Fortuner and CRV in terms of passive safety.

The fortuner handles like an SUV (because it is one). The CRV handles like a car (becasue its a crossover).

For the CRV- Body roll is next to none, and handling is predictable and sharp.

I have driven my CRV extensively on the highway and the brakes and handling are nothing short of brilliant. Sudden lane changes at 3 digit speeds are easy, safe and predictable, both for the passenger and the driver.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:57   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Hello all,

I used to own a 2009 Corolla Altis AT. Recently a month ago i had a massive accident on the highway and my car was crushed. All my family members got out safe however i fractured my arm and have had to get metal implants inserted. My car saved my life however my car is totally smashed and has gone for an insurance write off.

Please help me with your suggestions. Thank you.
I am really sorry about your accident, but glad to know that you and your family members are safe . Have you considered Hyundai Santa Fe ? I am not sure if you like the car or if that is within your budget . Do check it out sometime . I heard its a very good car.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 14:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need to buy a new car now. The whole experience has left me thinking of buying an SUV now however my usage is low with very occasional highway runs and i am not a rash or a fast driver. I do like the occasional burst of speed but after 60 i settle down in higher gear to cruise. I was considering my usage of 500 kms a month and was thinking of either a Honda CRV 2.0 MT or Honda CRV 2.4 AT or a Toyota Corolla AT (7 speed - mine was a 4 speed) or a Honda Accord MT or ____ (please suggest a reliable alternative car). I love driving and i don't want a BMW, Mercedes, Audi as of now. I like the 5 series but its not in my budget as of now. I am slightly averse to Skoda and VW although i love the VW Jetta and Passat but i feel they are overpriced. My budget is around 25 lacs.
The CRV 2.4AT is a good option, but I believe it will touch 30 lakhs on-road in Mumbai. You can get an Audi Q3 S or a Mercedes B-Class for that price.

In the sedan space, the Jetta TDI highline (MT or AT) would be a nice option to consider.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 15:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

If your old car was an AT and a Toyota, the CRV is the best choice. Hondas are equally reliable and your low running makes the fuel choice easy. If you plan to keep the car for long something, like 5 years or so the resale value shouldn't be a problem. If body roll is a problem, go for the Camry.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:48   #87
BHPian

Re: Honda CR-V : Driven

Quote:
My friend gets 8-9kmpl in his 2013 Honda CRV with Eco mode on.On highways with light footed driving he manages 10-11kmpl.His is an A/T.

The CRV has one of the best back seats with ample amount of space.Haven't driven the car so can't comment on the performance aspect.Looking at your driving pattern I think you will be fine with the CRV.Also do consider the diminishing resale value of these petrol MUVs
Does he really get 8-9 in peak mumbai traffic because my Corolla used to give me 6-7 even though i rarely put my foot down hard. i have my doubts on 8-9 for 2.4 AT . I sat in a test drive car and saw the instant fuel consumption of 5-7 for mumbai city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Sorry for adding a new name onto your list , however I would suggest you to try the Toyota Fortuner. Its an Excellent SUV definitely reliable & has a massive road presence. The vehicle fits your budget as well.
No harm in taking a test drive and ruling it out if it doesn't strike a cord with you.
I find the Fortuner to big for the city plus difficult to park if you don't have a dedicated parking slot for it at work and home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Sorry for adding a new name onto your list , however I would suggest you to try the Toyota Fortuner. Its an Excellent SUV definitely reliable & has a massive road presence. The vehicle fits your budget as well.
No harm in taking a test drive and ruling it out if it doesn't strike a cord with you.
Thank you for your suggestions but i had shortlisted CRV based on its ease of use, large boot and relative safe 6 airbags. I am yet confused between 2.0 MT and 2.4 AT of the CRV. I feel manual will give better mileage and being cheaper will balance it out. Kizashi is a nice car but i am not sold on it as i find it expensive. I will however go to Maruti and check it out as per your recommendation. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonarr View Post
I would suggest you try the Nissan X-trail: falls within your budget, has road presence, and on and off-road capability. Also will not look like another me-too car, not many out there.
X Trail is due for replacement so i ruled it out.

Quote:

Quote:
PS: just did some reading up on the hybrid version, even for a car that is around 35 lacs on road, offering no airbags for rear passengers is a dark and dirty approach to dealing with their "beloved" Indian customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
If your old car was an AT and a Toyota, the CRV is the best choice. Hondas are equally reliable and your low running makes the fuel choice easy. If you plan to keep the car for long something, like 5 years or so the resale value shouldn't be a problem. If body roll is a problem, go for the Camry.
I test drove the Camry Hybrid but at 36 lacs it comes with only 2 airbags. Thats not done now, not after such a major accident. Toyota has become greedy in India. Prices going up everyday but no emphasis or less emphasis on safety is appalling. I love Toyota service and my Corolla was cheap on maintenance but the prices after i bought mine and today has a difference of 5 lacs. They have increased prices by such a massive amount in 4 years without any actual increase in features or safety products. Not Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Good to know that you and your family are safe (after the highway accident). Or why don't you stretch your budget and get a 320i?
Thank you for your kind wishes. We are indeed lucky i also came out with just a broken hand luckily. I wish i could squeeze for 320i but i currently cannot maybe after a few years will squeeze for the 525d or E250cdi.

Quote:
The Nissan Teana. If comfort is priority, then nothing beats the Teana, this side of 50 lacs. Extremely spacious with an ottoman seat, panoramic sun roof etc are the kind of features that you can both brag about and enjoy, yourself, at the same time Safety equipment list is excellent, Ride is again brilliant.
The Bad:
I don't know myself since I haven't nor have any of my friends had any experience with this car, but I'm guessing service might be an issue. Just might.
Lazy motor again
Fuel economy
Looks
Teana is a nice car but very heavy on fuel and very rarely sold therefore spares is a problem. Also Nissan seems to have abandoned it in favour of SUVs so i feel aftersales will be a problem as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I have driven my CRV extensively on the highway and the brakes and handling are nothing short of brilliant. Sudden lane changes at 3 digit speeds are easy, safe and predictable, both for the passenger and the driver.
Thank you. Could you provide me with Fuel Efficiency figures for City and Highway please and also maintenance costs. Would appreciate an approximation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I am really sorry about your accident, but glad to know that you and your family members are safe . Have you considered Hyundai Santa Fe ? I am not sure if you like the car or if that is within your budget . Do check it out sometime . I heard its a very good car.
Thank you for your kind wishes. I test drove the Santa Fe but its an old version and i didn't like the interiors. I feel car has to be better interior wise than exterior as we touch, see and feel that daily. New Santa Fe is not yet out and i am expecting prices to touch 30 lacs for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The CRV 2.4AT is a good option, but I believe it will touch 30 lakhs on-road in Mumbai. You can get an Audi Q3 S or a Mercedes B-Class for that price.

In the sedan space, the Jetta TDI highline (MT or AT) would be a nice option to consider.
Test drove Jetta but i am unsure of aftersales reading all skoda horror stories and i have a cousin who owns a Passat and he keeps complaining how parts are not readily available and therefore i was having second thoughts. CRV i am thinking of 2.0 MT mainly so would like to know if it is a good product and good drive. I went to Mercedes to see the B Class Diesel but it doesn't have a sunroof or climate control at 32 lacs on road mumbai. Also feel its slightly overpriced by a good 3-5 lacs.

------

Thank you all for your replies and warm wishes. I am in a dilemma between Manual 2.0 CRV and 2.4 AT. The automatic is a bit of a stretch but has lots of extra features like occasional four wheel drive and sunroof. If any of you own the current CRV please shed some light and help me make a choice. Thanks.

Last edited by M00M : 2nd December 2013 at 15:53.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Does he really get 8-9 in peak mumbai traffic because my Corolla used to give me 6-7 even though i rarely put my foot down hard.

i have my doubts on 8-9 for 2.4 AT any of you own the current CRV please shed some light and help me make a choice. Thanks.
My friends car is a 2.0AT.His daily commute is from juhu to santacruz in the morning at around 10&evening around 6.Hope you can make out the traffic conditions.
The reason for low mileage on your altis was the old 4-speed cvt.With the new 5-speed one of the CRV mileage of 8-9kmpl is easily achievable in moderate not dense traffic condition.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi @M00M

IMO the CRV is a safe choice, since it's got the additional safety features (6-airbags), & also that it is a monocoque SUV not a body on ladder frame SUV.

You may also consider Yeti, which is marginally smaller (but both are 5-seaters), but the top spec has curtain airbags as well. Also, the European has heavier build as compared to Honda, & is available in Diesel as well.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:18   #90
Team-BHP Support

2.0 AT will give better FE than the 2.4AT which has to deal with additional weight of the AWD.

2.0 AT is a good choice but the FE should be around 7Kmpl. Even though it's a 5 speed gearbox it's an old school one and not any of the new types.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks