Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 17:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Hey guys it it high time TBHP reviews add performance numbers. At least we can start with 0-60 kph , 0 -100 kph times. VBOX Racelogic gear which is used by the automobile magazines is not that expensive. TBHP should procure it.
Etios ECU is OBD2 compliant. So, can easily get these details using ELM327 obd2 bluetooth adapter in combination with android app like the Torque pro. Will cost just around 1,000 for the adapter.

Last edited by amalji : 27th March 2013 at 17:51.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Great review Parrys! I can only imagine taking this new Liva TRD to Red Rooster or Petes and asking them to do the same engine mods as that of the EMR tuned cars. You'll get a sub-10 lakh rupee hot hatch that is super light, fun to drive and comes with a free revving motor with mind boggling performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Me and GTO could not deny this possibility either. A ECU remap, CAI and a good FFE would simply double the driving pleasure on the Sportivo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
And, ofcourse with a remap, CAI and FFE, iam sure it will be really a hoot to drive
Are you guys serious?

You want to put more power into this feather-light hatch? Take it as it is on Mumbai Pune Expressway above limits, it will start flying off the road. The Etios inspite of being a sedan itself is too light for its power and to project its sportiness.

What they need to do is make it more chubby with more meat (weight) with the increased power or with above mods. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how it will be with that extra power boost. We may just invent a flying hot hatch
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 18:22   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the review buddy.

I have always loved the looks of this car and if I was in the market for a hatchback it would definitely be this one. And with this engine and the add ons, this is one desirable car, especially in white color.
BTW, is it just me or do others love the gun metal alloys as well?

OT - My FIL owns the GD Sp and the braking on the car is absolutely fab
bruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 18:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice and crisp review Parrys. The Sportivo mentioned here doesnt seem to have the decals that initial Liva Sportivo had. I like this way.
The Seat material also seem to have improved.
Toyota should think of 1.4 D-FD (Corolla Spec) in Liva
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 19:16   #20
BHPian

Superb review. The interiors are also a major improvement over the outgoing model. If only the steering was a bit better and it had the additional features of the top 1.2V model.
The alloys are drool material.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:50   #21
BHPian

Great review as usual and the attention to detail is awesome. It just helps me visualise the car better. I guess Toyota has missed a golden opportunity to crack the premium hatchback segment with the Liva TRD sportivo. They should have designed it from scratch instead of cosmetic touch up job. For a car at that price point it should come with all the bell and whistles like Automatic Climate Control, Integrated blinkers on the side mirrors, fog lamps, a premium audio system with good speakers. However some of the fittings like the rear sproiler does not look well integrated with the car and looks more like an aftermarket fitting. Lets see how the market takes to this new offering from Toyota.
Old 27th March 2013, 20:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
....Will some day buy this Liva TRD Petrol ( 2nd hand ) to have some real fun...
Our thoughts do match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
...You do seem to be a fan of grey interiors unlike many others.
Especially after seeing the beige in the Etios / Liva! As I mentioned, there aren't many beige interiors that makes me happy under 8L (Hyundai is one)! Add to it, the nice looking seat fabric in TRD helps lift the ambiance a lot more than regular Etios / Liva.

Edit::

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
...The Seat material also seem to have improved...
That's specific to TRD badged cars, even in the 1.2L or 1.4D variants. These variants need to be specially ordered and comes from the factory with the kit & fabric.

Like many of the members are thinking, the first thing that came to my mind is the 1.4L VGT from Corolla making into the Liva Sports! The advantage is, unlike the petrol variant, this will still get the tax concession!! Should be absolute fun to drive with the economy of a diesel! Add a box to it, ahh; Bliss!! And yeah, it could be the top variant as members mentioned - like the Punto 90 bhp Emotion!

And when you give such variants, Toyota, please make sure you remove those stuffs which can be retrofitted - like the fog lamps or the music system etc and equip the car with rear wash & wipe, defogger etc! Please!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th March 2013 at 20:14. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 20:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

A missed opportunity from Toyota. They could have had the perfect package. Anyone spending that much money for a petrol hatch would not mind spending a little more for the complete package. Following omissions are glaring in a sporty hatch.

1. Rear wiper
2. Rear defogger
3. fog lamps
4. that flat bottomed steering wheel with audio controls!!! (Biggest miss of all)
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 22:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Like many of the members are thinking, the first thing that came to my mind is the 1.4L VGT from Corolla making into the Liva Sports! The advantage is, unlike the petrol variant, this will still get the tax concession!! Should be absolute fun to drive with the economy of a diesel! Add a box to it, ahh; Bliss!! And yeah, it could be the top variant as members mentioned - like the Punto 90 bhp Emotion!

Good observation regarding the tax exemption factor. Yeah, I don't mind 205 Nm of torque all the way from 1800 rpm till 2800 rpm. That would be fun on an ultra light car like the Liva.
They should also address the turbo lag factor prominent on 90 PS VGT, if they decide to use the VGT ( even if that is at the cost of using a smaller turbo and lesser PS ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And when you give such variants, Toyota, please make sure you remove those stuffs which can be retrofitted - like the fog lamps or the music system etc and equip the car with rear wash & wipe, defogger etc! Please!
Exactly, this was my thought process as well. Completely agree with you.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 00:09   #25
A M
BHPian

Nice review @parrys.

The best looking OEM alloys ever. The gunmetal shade, icing on the cake.
TRD Sportivo is a looker. Period.

The bodykit has made the otherwise boring design stand out and this engine makes the car a lot more desirable.

BUT, somehow, I'm unable to turn a blind eye to the interiors. I just can't.

So I'm still waiting for the K14 Swift. If only...
Old 28th March 2013, 03:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... that flat bottomed steering wheel with audio controls!!! (Biggest miss of all)
That flat bottomed steering wheel is what made that horrible speedo/tacho console palatable, at least to me!

And how much R&D would it take to shift those meters to the conventional position? Is there any valid reason behind the meters being centrally mounted?

And could parrys/GTO comment how the Sportivo drives compared to the Jazz?
Old 28th March 2013, 04:40   #27
BHPian

Thank you for a sensible, concise review of the Liva 1.5 Parrys & GTO. I've rated it five stars.

At the time of the Etios & Liva launches, Toyota was candid in admitting that they studied the Indian market thoroughly before coming up with an offering for the high-volume compact sedan/ hatchback segment and the same holds true with this attempt at hot-hatchness
They've realised that most people just care for a peppy engine and looks to match - dynamics, ergonomics and soft-touch interiors be damned. I'm surprised the additional weight over the front wheels because of the bigger engine didn't firm up the steering slightly.

Reading the Etios 1.5 review, however, just makes me respect Honda's engineering prowess considering they had offered the Jazz way back in 2009 with a slightly higher power figure, albeit lower torque but from an engine that is a whole 300 cc less.

In a way, I'm glad they excluded fog lamps but left the provision for their installation with cut-outs in the bumper - it would allow buyers to install an aftermarket kit for a lower cost than the company would charge for it. I'm sure Toyota dealers are going to make a killing offering to install it at the time of delivery to uninformed customers at a hefty price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A missed opportunity from Toyota. They could have had the perfect package.
I agree with you, they have skimped on necessary equipment - defoggers and rear wipers should be regarded as safety equipment rather than conveniences, seeing as they're a blessing when the visibility through the windshield is low.

Last edited by Motored Mindset : 28th March 2013 at 04:54.
Motored Mindset is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 08:44   #28
BHPian

The first of the 'hot' hatches lined up for 2013 is here and it seems very good. Thanks for the superb review.
Quick and fun, along with Toyota reliability is a great combination. However, the one thing I personally find a turn-off is the center mounted instrument cluster. For me, that would leave the driving experience a bit incomplete.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
In a way, I'm glad they excluded fog lamps but left the provision for their installation with cut-outs in the bumper - it would allow buyers to install an aftermarket kit for a lower cost than the company would charge for it. I'm sure Toyota dealers are going to make a killing offering to install it at the time of delivery to uninformed customers at a hefty price.
Last year when I bought my Liva-GD, I installed fog lamps from the toyota dealer. The cost was Rs. 4140/-. I think the price is at par with competition.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 10:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I think the price is at par with competition.
Yup, that's a reasonable amount. I was referring to a more general trend where dealers make a killing in selling accessories at a much higher price under the guise of it not affecting warranty (even though the warranty is voidable only when electric wires are cut or parts are installed that are not to the manufacturer-recommended specifications). This is especially so in value-conscious segments where the dealer margins on every vehicle are quite slim.

For example, Honda dealers in the past have been known to market a Caska head unit along with the City, at a higher price and with a bigger labour charge than at a regular accessory shop. When I was in the market for a reversing camera, the one available at the my local Maruti Showroom was several times the price of a comparable one available in the aftermarket.
Motored Mindset is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks