Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 19:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
Plus Red rooster has already done the work tuning the car for the race series,
I am quite sure they will come out with some drop in packages to change the handling and brakes.

Great job Toyota.
In addition to the EMR, even dealer wise, they have tie up in Kerala.
In Kerala , the dealer - Nippon Toyota already has a tie up with redroosters. Not sure, if other dealers have such dealer level tie ups. I have seen a redrooster modified Etios Petrol with FFE and high flow air filters a year back in Trivandrum Nippon Toyota. So, yeah they should have some plans for the Liva TRD for sure.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 07:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why 1.4l. Plonk in the brilliant VTVT 1.6l from the SX4. This is what annoys me the most about every car manufacturer in India. They won't give it to you even if they have it.
Let's hope this Live is reasonably successful given the lower price disparity between fuels now. And that it will tempt others to join the wagon.

The 1.4 L should be a direct fit in the Swift engine bay. I don't know about the 1.6 L. Also, the 1.4 L will be lighter as well.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 08:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The 1.4 L should be a direct fit in the Swift engine bay. I don't know about the 1.6 L. Also, the 1.4 L will be lighter as well.
The ultra refined 1.4L K-Series should be a delight to drive on Swift.
130 Nm torque @ 4000 rpms combined with 94 PS would be more than adequate. considering the easy revving nature of the engine.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 12:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
That grey line runs all around the car and matches the alloy wheel colour. Neat attention to detail:
That grey line I believe is the bumper skirt's rubber beading!
I would have preferred the skirts to have been a seamless fit rather than having a rubber beading sticking out

This can be seen on the Vista D90's skirt as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review-photo-010313-12-34-21-pm.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2013, 14:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

We pushed hard into a fast corner or two and the car remained composed. Understeer doesn’t come in as early as you'd expect of a family hatchback. While some body roll is felt, it's well within acceptable limits. Some credit does go to the tyres too. While OEM Good Year rubber has usually been sloppy, the ones on our test car performed very well.
The tread pattern is the same as what I have on my Swift Zdi, 185/65/R15 Durapluses but without the Duraplus badging. Is it the same tyre without the tourist-taxi-sounding name? Either way, I've also been pleasantly surprised with the grip with the tyres not letting go until I really pushed. Can't say the same about road noise though, found them to be very loud over rougher patches of highway. Perhaps this + less sound deadening contributes to higher road noise in the Liva TRD as well.
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:05   #51
BHPian

Brilliant move on Toyota's part. I was waiting for this car but then picked up the City last November. Any idea on how this Liva compares to the current city in terms of power and handling?
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Surely. The 1.6l is a straight fit in to the Swift engine bay as well. The Swift Sport sold in the UK comes with a 1.6l engine which produces around 135Bhp.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Surely. The 1.6l is a straight fit in to the Swift engine bay as well. The Swift Sport sold in the UK comes with a 1.6l engine which produces around 135Bhp.
In fact, the latest Swift Sport has the same M16A engine as the SX4 here. Obviously it is tuned differently with a few modifications, but it makes 135 bhp/148 Nm and is far more revv-happy than the SX4's unit. Sounds very tasty too. C'mon Maruti!!
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:25   #54
BHPian

I'm looking forward to trying out the Sportivo. Between the Etios and Ford Classic, it was a close call - the quicker, fuss free Etios or the better handling, almost as fast Classic. If the Sportivo handles better, it may help decide things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
In fact, the latest Swift Sport has the same M16A engine as the SX4 here. Obviously it is tuned differently with a few modifications, but it makes 135 bhp/148 Nm and is far more revv-happy than the SX4's unit. Sounds very tasty too. C'mon Maruti!!
Maruti will probably give that with the crappy brakes from the L/V variants
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Maruti will probably give that with the crappy brakes from the L/V variants
I hope, they don't do that. What is it that prevents Maruti from giving good brakes!
Old 4th April 2013, 11:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I hope, they don't do that. What is it that prevents Maruti from giving good brakes!
Well, to be fair the Zxi, Zdi have decent brakes with the ABS unit and they couldn't possibly sell a Swift Sport without ABS!
Old 10th April 2013, 19:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive the Etios petrol, the Liva Trd weighs almost similar to the Etios sedan . So i feel more or less both the cars should be equally fast. But what i feel is the handling of Liva a tad better than Etios. On the other hand Etios offers better space and comfort than the Liva. Now both the cars are similarly priced too. So it should be like for family purpose Etios should be the choice and for self driving the Liva should be the right choice.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 19:44   #58
BHPian

A great initiative by Toyota to bring this into the market. Looking forward to the 1.4 L swift, sportier Figo etc and things would get pretty interesting. And price is definitely a crucial factor because a person who buys a sport hatch would most likely spend more on mods. He/she must feel the incentive for the same.

I am curious to know how others feel about the below.

Would you rather buy a cheaper sport hatchback with basic interiors and exteriors or an expensive sport hatchback fully loaded with all gadgets and trims ?

The reason why I ask is because I feel the price of a sport hatchback can be significantly lower if the interiors and exteriors are kept basic. The price would be much lesser and the owner can have a free run on their modifying needs. A 50k to 1L cheaper sport hatchback would enjoy higher sales and one can have better ICE, FFE+CAI+Remaps etc based on the savings and customer needs!

The downside is that probably only a fraction of the customers would be serious about mods at that level. What say ?
Old 16th May 2013, 22:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review of a special car. The Liva 1.5 drives like no other petrol hatchback does. Period. I’ve always been a fan of the Etios petrol (not diesel) because of its punchy engine and superbly sorted suspension. It’s nice to see the good bits transferred to the Liva, which was a bore in the 1.2L guise. I thoroughly enjoyed gunning the TRD Sportivo in our test. With the ample space, superb driveability, light controls & Toyota reliability, the Liva is practical too.
Thanks to the above and the rest of the review, I booked a white car today, after test driving the Etios Petrol.

I was looking for a Toyota that will last me for the next ten years, without fuss. At the same time, I was a little tired of the gutless 1.2 petrol i20. So, an exchange. I am ok with the low rent interiors, but in grey/black, these seem preferable to the beige/faux wood stuff. The recent ACI review also helped, although the description of it as a schoolmaster wearing a racing suit seemed a tad unkind, given the decent power plant.

Using the Hyundai, I am used to the playstation steering thing, so the Toyota can't be much worse. And my other car remains a often used Gypsy, so lighter steering can be a good change from time to time.

Appreciate the review, and other threads on the Etios that have been of great help in knowing what to expect. The sales process was also pretty decent - more open and honest than some I have seen.
Sawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thanks to the above and the rest of the review, I booked a white car today, after test driving the Etios Petrol.
Congratulations! Will look forward to your ownership experience. In case you bought it from DSK Pune, they are a good set of people giving very good service from Liva GD.

Mine is with black/grey interior. And as you mentioned I like it more than the beige interior in Liva.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks