Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 11:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
And could parrys/GTO comment how the Sportivo drives compared to the Jazz?
Hey,

The Jazz also is a decent (if not the best) handling car and feels much more premium than the Liva without any doubt. The fact remains that if a car is a DUD (not selling well in the market), it remains the same regardless of the fact how well it handles or how much it offers more than the relatively average competitors.

The Liva TRD and Jazz both generate 89 BHP of power, but the Liva TRD has additional 22 Nm of torque. Also, the Liva TRD generates these figures at a lower revv range when compared to the Jazz.

Most importantly, the Jazz is 130 Kgs heavier - this makes gives the TRD Sportivo the light weight flying edge over the Jazz.

Last edited by parrys : 28th March 2013 at 11:12.
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 11:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
Yup, that's a reasonable amount. I was referring to a more general trend where dealers make a killing in selling accessories at a much higher price under the guise of it not affecting warranty (even though the warranty is voidable only when electric wires are cut or parts are installed that are not to the manufacturer-recommended specifications). This is especially so in value-conscious segments where the dealer margins on every vehicle are quite slim.

For example, Honda dealers in the past have been known to market a Caska head unit along with the City, at a higher price and with a bigger labour charge than at a regular accessory shop. When I was in the market for a reversing camera, the one available at the my local Maruti Showroom was several times the price of a comparable one available in the aftermarket.
I agree that for parts like ICE, seat covers etc. the dealers charge a bomb. The accessory person in toyota dealer quoted me a price a 7K for rear infinity speakers. I got it at 4K outside. The pioneer head unit was also available outside at 1.5K cheaper. But I am happy that for parts like fog lamp, reverse parking sensor etc, the costs were reasonable in the dealer level. Also, toyota did not threaten me on warranty issue for external ICE installation as long as I was using the coupler to avoid cutting the wires.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

There are some glaring omissions and I cannot digest some of the interior bits still. But a very attractive and subtle body kit which lift the aspiration value of the car substantially from the outside. They could have changed the door handles though.

Awesome alloys. And no decals! Thank heavens for that. Toyota could have done away with those numerous TRD badges all around the car.

Very eager to drive one. Wonder whether they dealers might have a demo car for TD.

Hope this launch along with the lowering disparity in fuel prices push others like Ford & Maruti to follow suit with reasonably powerful sporty petrol versions of the Ford and Swift respectively. Ford can plug in that delicious 1.6 motor and MSIL can use the 1.4L motor from the Ertiga.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:25   #34
BHPian

Lovely review Parrys and GTO, thanks for sharing. BTW, why is the rev limiter set so low, or is it generic to all Toyota petrols?

Also, how does the liva fare in comparision to the Brio? From your review I can gather that the bottom end driveability is better, but what would be your opinion from an overall perspective, is this Liva a more fun to drive car than the Brio?
Old 28th March 2013, 17:47   #35
Team-BHP Support

The body kit looks really nice, especially from the back. The white car + gunmetal alloys looks sweet too. (I've never had anything against the Liva styling though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I find it strange that you report the steering wheel to be too light. It was the exact opposite when I drove the Etios. It felt like a hydraulic unit.
Both the Etios we test drove and this Liva TRD had very light steerings.

You probably got lucky with a faulty unit

The lightness didn't bother me as much as the fact that there was no play at center. Even slight movements of the wheel at the center position would have the car turning slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
... a supercharger to take care of the lag at low rpms.
Its actually quite a torquey petrol. Low-end driveability is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Hey guys it it high time TBHP reviews add performance numbers.... VBOX Racelogic ... TBHP should procure it.
We actually do have a dedicated GPS-based timer, but haven't used it yet

Soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
And how much R&D would it take to shift those meters to the conventional position?
Its not a simple change now, since it would involve an entire re-tooling of their manufacturing dies etc (read : very expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Toyota could have done away with those numerous TRD badges all around the car.
They are so small that you won't really notice or mind them when you see the car in person. It just seems like a look when presented, zoomed-in in the review.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th March 2013 at 17:48.
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 21:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
It must be mentioned that the Liva 1.5L is 5 kilos heavier than the Etios base variant.
In that case I dont understand the fuss behind the 1.5L Liva.
It Weighs similar to etios. It is priced similar to etios. Hence whats wrong with the etios. Why would I choose liva? For the bodykit!!
The Idea of a hatch over the sedan is its lighter weight. It makes its a better performer. Improves its agility, makes it more fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
We actually do have a dedicated GPS-based timer, but haven't used it yet Soon...
WE are waiting for it. Outright acceleration, ingear acceleration and braking are probably the easiest to get. How about a g sensor.
Old 28th March 2013, 22:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
In that case I dont understand the fuss behind the 1.5L Liva.
It Weighs similar to etios. It is priced similar to etios. Hence whats wrong with the etios. Why would I choose liva? For the bodykit!!
Agree with you, the only positives on emight see in the TRD Liva would be the smaller dimensions making it easier to drive in the city, the body kit and the alloys.

No wonder GTO keeps saying Petrol Etios is one of the best "fun to drive" cars.
Old 28th March 2013, 22:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
No wonder GTO keeps saying Petrol Etios is one of the best "fun to drive" cars.
Yep. but not as much as fun to drive as the Fiesta Classic.
Old 29th March 2013, 00:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both the Etios we test drove and this Liva TRD had very light steerings.
You probably got lucky with a faulty unit
LOL. Possible. The Liva steering is indeed light.
Another possibility is that the electric assistance was reduced after a long drive. There is a mechanism which prevents damage to power steering motor to work in a less efficient manner after using the motor extensively

Quote:
Its actually quite a torquey petrol. Low-end driveability is very good.
We were speculating about a diesel TRD with VGT. With Petrol yeah, the low end rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Yep. but not as much as fun to drive as the Fiesta Classic.
The Etios Petrol is certainly peppier than Fiesta Petrol as far as sheer acceleration is concerned.
But, when it comes to cornering abilities and steering feedback, the Fiesta rocks big time.

With regards to Liva being heavier than Etios, it could be because of the body kits. Do the same thing on the Etios, and Etios will be heavier as well. So, it's whether or not you need the sporty looks is what matters. Regardless, Liva will always look sportier than the Etios.
Old 29th March 2013, 09:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Even though its a Toyota, somethings missing. It doesn't gel properly and the basic design flaws and quirky styling just don't add up to a sporty character. Toyota needs to seriously redesign the Etios/Liva twins more on the lines of the Yaris, IMHO. The new 2014 Corolla could be made a benchmark for styling cues.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 10:14   #41
BHPian

I have always felt the Etios liva has one of the most sporty and fuss free exteriors.Its great it now has an engine to match the looks.Tough late the Hot hatch fever is finally catchinh up.Now all we need is Figo with a 1.6 liter motor.That will surely be a fire cracker.
VW polo 1.6 with its 8 lakh price tag was never up to it.
Good review guys.A sure 5 star.Now if only toyota would do something about the central mounted speedo and rev counter.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Ford can plug in that delicious 1.6 motor and MSIL can use the 1.4L motor from the Ertiga.
Why 1.4l. Plonk in the brilliant VTVT 1.6l from the SX4. This is what annoys me the most about every car manufacturer in India. They won't give it to you even if they have it.

Ford can do even better if they still had the engine. Offered the old 1.4l or current 1.6l from the Fiesta. These are very tractable and responsive engines.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th March 2013 at 10:41.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Toyota needs to seriously redesign the Etios/Liva twins more on the lines of the Yaris, IMHO. The new 2014 Corolla could be made a benchmark for styling cues.
Ah! Toyota did not give us the Yaris & yaris sedan variant in the first place as real competition to the Swift, Jazz, City, Fiesta, SX4 etc. It surveyed the market extensively and realised that end of the day most of the indian junta wants low priced, economic cars bla bla. Hence the Etios with it's 1980's interiors quality feel. Most SE asian countries and even UK the Yaris is the natural competitor to the smaller Honda's.

That way Honda has kept the benchmark but the Jazz stopped eventually and the korean verna has taken a big pie of the city's sales.

Last edited by Ford5 : 29th March 2013 at 10:53.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:10   #44
BHPian

5 Stars. Loved some of the uncommon comments - the cloth hanging off the front seats to cover the rails was super!

All said and done, nice for Toyota to have launched a sporty hatch unlike the tame 'limited editions' other do - may this tribe increase.

Last edited by d_himan : 29th March 2013 at 11:11.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 17:58   #45
BHPian

Great review !

I am very very tempted by this car!

A reliable gtx replacement.

Just imagine with the rear seats out, a free flow and air intake.

900 kgs with 100/110 horsepower and nice short gearing.

Plus Red rooster has already done the work tuning the car for the race series,
I am quite sure they will come out with some drop in packages to change the handling and brakes.

Great job Toyota.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks