Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 11:46   #226
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Doing 10k kms in 6 months is more a rarity than a norm with most drivers. A 10k/12 month oil change interval would have been more prudent and confidence inspiring.
Dkaile, with a diesel vehicles (assuming people have gone for diesel in the first place because of higher running) will easily touch 8k-9k in 6 months. I am doing average of 9K every 6 months (yes, I need to shift to a diesel heart and hence the huge interest in Amaze).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Last two services for my City (25K and 30K) cost me 2,348 and 3,650. They included regular service, windscreen cleaner topup, oil and oil filter change, wheel balancing/alignment and cleaning. Wheel balancing/alignment and cleaning cost around 1,300. Servicing done at Linkway Honda, Chandivali.

Now, tell me that Honda maintenance is costly.
People have perceptions and will not change it; sometimes even if valid data is provided.

Just for my Zen's 25K and 30K service costs in end 2008 and early 2009 were 4,342 and 4,048 respectively, so i spent 8,390 for 10K kms, Rs.0.83 per km. Looks like Honda is defintely cheaper than Maruti! Many do not believe when I tell them Maruti service is not cheap. But I guess, Toyota is cheapest.

It would help if we could arrive at average figures. If people can post their 25k and 30K (or just 30K in case of 10k service interval) service cost here and we could roughly arrive at service cost per km for this age of the vehicle for each manufacturer (petrol/diesel)

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 5th April 2013 at 12:01.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:02   #227
BHPian

6 months/10000 km service interval is acceptable if they opt for mineral oil instead of synthetic.
With synthetic oil costing almost double the price of mineral oil it will be a fare comparison.

One thing I must add that people doing less km on Odometer per year should keep Etios and other cars with 10000km/1 year service interval with mineral change as their car of preference to keep the overall running cost on check.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:04   #228
BANNED

@Turbokick; Honda permits synthetic with a 10,000km /10,000km interval. I have been doing it on my Civic for three years.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:06   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

This I do not agree with.

Toyota has 10,000kms or 12 months. Ford has the same for Figo.

Both are 10,000kms so how is it that Honda is doubtful about this engine?

In my Figo I did 10K within 7 months. Even though the service interval is 10K, due to extra running I still need to go every 6-7 months.

Another member Ampere finished 10K on his Duster in 6 months as well.

Yes, I agree that even if you don't run as much you will need to go for service twice a year compared to higher running which would also synchronize with months and kms.

It will cost more only if you do less than 10,000kms in a year but still have to go for service twice. But Honda may also say if the kms are less oil change can be after 1 year.
I quoted the service interval for those customers (like me who have done just 14.5k kms in 3 years in figo D) who will be driving less than 10k in 6 months. Oil change and other change of parts would be done twice a year resuulting in higher after sale cost.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:14   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Dkaile, with a diesel vehicles (assuming people have gone for diesel in the first place because of higher running) will easily touch 8k-9k in 6 months. I am doing average of 9K every 6 months (yes, I need to shift to a diesel heart and hence the huge interest in Amaze).
I have no issues if you do 10K in 6 months and therefore proceed to change your oil. But for people doing say 5K kms in 6 months and asked compulsorily by the manufacturer to change oil every 6 months irrespective of the mileage, is not prudent IMHO and shows a lack of confidence of the manufacturer in its engines, that was my point of view.

Even Toyota asks its customers to do service of most of their current diesel vehicles every 6 months BUT oil change is mandated only once every 10K kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th April 2013 at 12:29.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:38   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Last two services for my City (25K and 30K) cost me 2,348 and 3,650. They included regular service, windscreen cleaner topup, oil and oil filter change, wheel balancing/alignment and cleaning. Wheel balancing/alignment and cleaning cost around 1,300. Servicing done at Linkway Honda, Chandivali.

Now, tell me that Honda maintenance is costly.
Last two services for my swift petrol (40K and 50K) cost me close to 12K and 9K. I do 10K in about 8 months. Even if we take it to be 10K in 12 months, it seems city turns out to be cheaper than the swift to maintain.

And we are comparing cars that are two segment apart here. Why do people still have the perception that Marutis are cheap to maintain?

I feel even with 6 Month/10 K Km service routine, Amaze would be more or less eating up the same amount of money in maintenance as compare to the dzire if not less.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:42   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for my Zen's 25K and 30K service costs in end 2008 and early 2009 were 4,342 and 4,048 respectively, so i spent 8,390 for 10K kms, Rs.0.83 per km. Looks like Honda is defintely cheaper than Maruti! Many do not believe when I tell them Maruti service is not cheap. But I guess, Toyota is cheapest.
Hey that's a fantastic calculation you got there mate. Now did you own a Honda or Toyota to arrive at such numbers before making such a statement?
And also do remember person to person ownership and driving skills change. So its not a fair apple to apple comparison when you say my friends relative has a honda which clocked the same kms where service costed him only 2000 Rs.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:42   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have no issues if you do 10K in 6 months and therefore proceed to change your oil. But for people doing 5K kms in 6 months and asked compulsorily by the manufacturer to change oil every 6 months irrespective of the mileage, is not prudent IMHO and shows a lack of confidence of the manufacturer in its engines, that was my point of view.
Could you point me to the link where Honda has mentioned that oil change interval is 6 months irrespective of kms for the Honda Amaze diesel?

Shouldn't we get confirmation before stating that it is not prudent and shows a lack of confidence?

I'm not trying to be a fanboy of Honda and I own a Toyota but I think this talk about oil change, service interval and reliability is over hyped.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:55   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Service interval of 10,000 kms / 6 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Could you point me to the link where Honda has mentioned that oil change interval is 6 months irrespective of kms for the Honda Amaze diesel?
I was quoting from this review itself and presumed, liked anyone else who would read the above quoted line from GTO's review, that a Service interval of 10,000 kms / 6 months should mean whichever is earlier and NOT later and should include a oil change under rational circumstances. If that is not the case or Honda issues a clarification in its manual about the oil change period, then that would mean lots of happy customers, as oil changes every 6 months irrespective of mileage, before completing at least 10k kms or at least 1 year of usage, is not prudent IMHO.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th April 2013 at 13:01.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:04   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey that's a fantastic calculation you got there mate. Now did you own a Honda or Toyota to arrive at such numbers before making such a statement?
And also do remember person to person ownership and driving skills change. So its not a fair apple to apple comparison when you say my friends relative has a honda which clocked the same kms where service costed him only 2000 Rs.
Ku69rd: I am talking of standard service rates here without any part replacement or malfunction.

Regarding Honda figures, please see my post again. I have quoted another Honda owner who is speaking from his ownership experience. (not a relative's friend.)

Regarding Maruti service cost: I am speaking from my experience.

Toyota's Etios service cost: The standard service rate is Rs.2500 for 10K service.

Are you saying, it is not possible to know the standard service costs of any manufacturer because each service depends on the owner's driving style? So, how does a service center even give and estimate whenever you go for service?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 5th April 2013 at 13:07.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:12   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was quoting from this review itself and presumed, liked anyone else who would read the above quoted line from GTO's review, that a Service interval of 10,000 kms / 6 months should mean whichever is earlier and NOT later and should include a oil change under rational circumstances.
Yup, I read GTO's review which said service interval is 6months/10K kms but he had not mentioned oil change interval. I did not want to assume and jump to a conclusion that service = oil change since Honda even suggests 3 months for some cars but changes the oil only once a year every 4th service.

Earlier all Maruti cars had service interval of 6 months or 5K kms but oil change was only 1 year/10K kms.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding Honda figures, please see my post again. I have quoted another Honda owner who is speaking from his ownership experience. (not a relative's friend.)

Regarding Maruti service cost: I am speaking from my experience.

Toyota's Etios service cost: The standard service rate is Rs.2500 for 10K service.
Well then Vasanth, My Maruti Swift when I get it serviced costs me 1025 for basic/standard service without any parts replacement. I get it done from Kalyani Service Station located on the Nayandalli Signal off Mysore Road.

Last edited by ku69rd : 5th April 2013 at 13:39.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:42   #238

As usual , It has been a well researched HONDA Amaze review from GTO . It is as comprehensive a review ,as we are used to from him . But I personally opine that a moderator should not use words like .....Iam quoting from his review ......

Quote:
Honda's 1st diesel engine in India defeats the Fiat 1.3L MJD in terms of driveability, power and fuel economy

Conversely, if you maintain a light foot and go easy on the rpms (1,500 - 1,800 range), the green ECO sign lights up on the meter console, indicating an economical driving style. A variety of parameters (including current gear, speed, road incline etc.) are considered by the ECU for the ECO mode. The ECO light also comes on whenever you are decelerating, or the car is free-wheeling. Low turbo-lag cars (Verito, Etios, Sunny) usually record high fuel economy figures within the city as there is no need to unnecessarily revv, and the Amaze is no different. Its quite an achievement that [b][i][u]Honda's 1st diesel engine in India defeats the Fiat 1.3L MJD in terms of driveability, power and fuel economy[b][i][u]. The short throw gearbox with well defined gates is an absolutely joy to use. Honda says that this transmission has been developed specifically for the 1.5L i-DTEC. The clutch isn't as light as that of the Amaze / Brio petrol, yet isn't a pedal I'd call heavy and complain about either. It's par for the course in terms of effort required.
Some of us , in the forum may not be participating regularly . on the forum , but may have an enviable automobile consuming experience and history too .

The true test of an automobile has been the sustained accolades as well as a track record of performance and service . Honda , does not have a track record of that kind in the Diesel Sphere.

It is for no reason that the world has acknowledged FIAT"s 1.3 MJD as the most awarded Diesel Powertrain in the planet , considering technological advancement ,compactness , miniaturization and high performance.

It is at best a maiden venture by HONDA at taking on competition with a good combo deal of a Diesel Powertrain

Maruti , roght through has established a track record of Super service , highperformance , VFM and high reliability and their decision to go in the internationally best seller of a Diesel Powertrain , in the 1.3 Multijet should be lauded , in so far as striving to bring the best the worls offers to a consumer and it has proven itself ever since all Maritu Models had it under its hood .

NOTE FROM MOD :
• Please use proper punctuation and avoid the use of too many dots (typing....like....this...).
• Also do use the QUOTE function when quoting a post. I have done it for you this time.
• Do see THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2013 at 16:47. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Sriram Rajann is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2013, 13:46   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
I am someone who owned a Petrol Esteem and Petrol Zen before buying Etios Diesel. The maintenance cost of a Maruti is no longer cheap. With Toyota, there is no comparison even if you compare a Toyota Etios Diesel with a Maruti Swift/Esteem Petrol vehicle.

The only thing they replace every 10,000 kms are oil filter, oil and washer fluid.
Every 30,000 they replace AC filter in addition ( costs 350 odd )
And every 40,000 they replace Air Filters.
Fuel Filters lasts upwards of 1 lakh kms.

Even unplanned accident replacements are not costly.
For instance, I replaced my ORVM assembly and mirror for 1100 odd.
Replaced one of my alloys ( under insurance ) for 3,500 odd.

I have a friend who owns a Swift and Fiesta and I never used to believe them, when they told me that Fiesta is cheaper to maintain than a Swift. But, once I started researching more on it, I understood that Maruti no longer has the maintenance cost advantage. They are almost as costly as a Hyundai to maintain.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:58   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I have a friend who owns a Swift and Fiesta and I never used to believe them, when they told me that Fiesta is cheaper to maintain than a Swift. But, once I started researching more on it, I understood that Maruti no longer has the maintenance cost advantage. They are almost as costly as a Hyundai to maintain.
Amalji,
Am surprised to read that a fiesta is more cheaper to maintain than the swift. Anyways with the Amaze coming out, will try to pen an ownership review with all the facts and figures associated with it. The swift's services cost me around 20K for 25K KMs of usage per year. Ensure that engine oil is changed every 5000 Kms. That ways I would be able to make a note of the cost differences and believe over a period of time would be able to make a statement with data backed up.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks