Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 10:01   #2566
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Good that Amaze has gone beyond 200K mark, yet it seems that even the present owners of the car are not very happy with what Honda has offered in Amaze.

Is this a case of over leveraging the brand? From the issues reported in the forum or otherwise in public domain, it seems that Amaze is "made to cost" very much in line with Etios Duo, yet for one, owners of Etios have no complaints on the reliability front and most of the other issues collected by Toyota as part of customer feedback have been addressed
- ABS and Airbags as standard
- Hydraulic mounts
- Better noise insulation in the cabin
- Detachable headrests etc.

Flip, Honda did made changes in the dashboard appearance, but that's about it. The most important aspect of product reliability is still very much open.

Overall, the product lineup has deteriorated in past.

The only thing that has happened in past may be 5 years or so is that the cars are more accessible for masses. But the snob value of the brand as such and the pleasure of owning a Honda has certainly gone down.

Last edited by i74js : 17th June 2016 at 10:04.
i74js is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 23:11   #2567
BHPian

Last week my Amaze's underbody got badly hit by a huge stone which was lying in the middle of the city road. Apparently this stone was put there by BBMP to cover up an open manhole . i was behind a truck and did not notice the stone untill the Thud!

The metal crushed like paper (This was just below the driver's seat) and the right hand side lower arm got bent

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img_20160617_143741.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img_20160614_103838.jpg

Luckily it was only the sheet metal which took the impact. Took it to Trident honda on mysore road and upon inspection the service advisor immediately advised to claim insurance and get the whole floor replace (Quote was 10 thousand rupees), which i felt was absurd for only a localized damage. Anyways, got the repair done at Bosch service centre for 800 rs only, Lower arm cost 1100rs.

Also got Rogerab suspension spacer installed: This has solved the ground clearance issue the car had, it no longer scrapes those huge speed breakers, and glides over broken road smoothly. Overall an eventful week.

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img_20160614_122613.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img_20160614_122631.jpg
Mashblue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 14:48   #2568
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post

Also got Rogerab suspension spacer installed: This has solved the ground clearance issue the car had, it no longer scrapes those huge speed breakers, and glides over broken road smoothly. Overall an eventful week.
Dear Mashblue,
Please provide your valuable feedback on this suspension spacer with respect to car handling and braking. I have read some where that the car handling & braking will go for a toss because of these spacers. I am also planning for this add-on based on your feedback.
Old 20th June 2016, 18:10   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
The metal crushed like paper (This was just below the driver's seat) and the right hand side lower arm got bent

Luckily it was only the sheet metal which took the impact. Took it to Trident honda on mysore road and upon inspection the service advisor immediately advised to claim insurance and get the whole floor replace (Quote was 10 thousand rupees), which i felt was absurd for only a localized damage. Anyways, got the repair done at Bosch service centre for 800 rs only, Lower arm cost 1100rs.
Ouch! That 'looks' scary! Glad that you were able to get it fixed easily.

Could you please provide your feedback on Trident Honda and the Bosch service center where you got this repaired? I am fed up of Magnum Honda and really looking to change the service center.

Also, looking forward to your feedback on the Rogerab Suspension Spacer, even I am interested to get this installed.
AmazeGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 19:41   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
Dear Mashblue,
Please provide your valuable feedback on this suspension spacer with respect to car handling and braking. I have read some where that the car handling & braking will go for a toss because of these spacers. I am also planning for this add-on based on your feedback.
Yes I have read some reviews saying handling and braking will be compromised but I haven't felt any change in those departments. But post Rogerab the car has run only in city at low speeds, will update if I notice any change at high speeds once I take it on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
Ouch! That 'looks' scary! Glad that you were able to get it fixed easily.

Could you please provide your feedback on Trident Honda and the Bosch service center where you got this repaired? I am fed up of Magnum Honda and really looking to change the service center.
Hey AmazeGuru, I was really lucky not to have damaged critical parts.
I purchased the car from Magnum Honda but their service centre experience left me frustrated.
Kanakapura road centre: I book a service appointment over phone and when I reach there, they deny having taken any appointment. Finally car was returned after 2 days with ICE messed up (blown speaker :banghead: ).
Yeshwanthpur centre: was billed for alignment and balancing which was never done.
Finally decided to try TridentAuto Honda on mysore road and what a difference! Advisors here are very friendly and keep their commitments. I interact with Mr.Subramamya there, a very professional guy.
The Bosch service centre I got the repair done was the one in nagarabhavi, Mr.Pradeep there was very helpful.
PM me if you need their contact numbers :thumbup:

Last edited by Mashblue : 20th June 2016 at 19:44.
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 15:55   #2571
BHPian

My brother is on the lookout for an automatic. Honda Amaze and Jazz are the only two options being considered (i20 does not have an automatic, Maruti is not keen on selling the Baleno automatic).

I thought Amaze was built on the Brio platform.
Interestingly the sales reps at both Magnum Honda and Dakshin Honda say that the pre-facelift Amaze had the Brio platform and the new facelifted one has the city platform! Really? They changed the platform in a facelift?
Old 29th June 2016, 16:16   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
My brother is on the lookout for an automatic. Honda Amaze and Jazz are the only two options being considered (i20 does not have an automatic, Maruti is not keen on selling the Baleno automatic).

I thought Amaze was built on the Brio platform.
Interestingly the sales reps at both Magnum Honda and Dakshin Honda say that the pre-facelift Amaze had the Brio platform and the new facelifted one has the city platform! Really? They changed the platform in a facelift?
That sounds like typical sales talk they make to try and push a product. The Amaze facelift is only a cosmetic and dashboard change. It still very much is based on the brio platform.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 14:36   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mashblue, did you install Rogerab on all sides, or just the rear?
Old 12th July 2016, 12:46   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
Hi Mashblue, did you install Rogerab on all sides, or just the rear?
On all sides. The front ones are bigger than the rear.
Took the car out on some twisty roads and did not notice anything wrong with the handling or braking. In fact I feel braking has improved in feel.
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 13:40   #2575
BHPian

Hi Mashblue, Can you please help me with the price details of Rogerab. Also any idea if this will affect warranty? I read somewhere that it will make suspension stiff. How do you rate the ride quality after adding Rogerab?
Old 17th July 2016, 10:28   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
Hi Mashblue, Can you please help me with the price details of Rogerab. Also any idea if this will affect warranty? I read somewhere that it will make suspension stiff. How do you rate the ride quality after adding Rogerab?
Hey arunmichael, prices differ for different car models, for amaze diesel it cost me 6200rs iirc. And yes the suspension has become stiff but you can hardly feel it (10% stiffer maybe). I feel it shouldn't affect the warranty.
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 20:12   #2577
BHPian

Hi Team, I am planning to add a navigation unit with multimedia to my Amaze (2015 model). Can you please suggest some options? My budget is under 30k. Thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:22   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Took a pretty decent distance TD of the diesel Amaze. My observations (in no particular order) below

1. The dash is no longer an eye sore and is pretty decent to be looked at.
2. The front seats still reek of cost cutting every time you look at it.
3. The doors feel flimsy, especially after closing the Jazz / City / B-RV doors
4. Cabin is quite airy, thanks to the beige
5. Extremely noisy diesel from 2000 rpm, you just can't revv it.
6 There is a slight push in the seat when you shift to second after up-shifting at around 3K
7. Not too sure, somehow the seating position wasn't really great; may need some time to find the BEST position.
8. Suspension is quite comfortable and not too noisy while operating.
9. The gear shifts and short throw & precise, but quite an effort to engage (reminded me of Etios / Liva). I prefer my gear shifts to be effortless too.
10. I found the clutch pedal position to be a little higher than ideal, I had to "lift" my leg to engage / after disengaging. I noticed that the brake pedal was a good 1-2 inch lower than the clutch pedal and Accelerator pedal even lower than the brake pedal.
11. The brakes bite so hard initially; the feel is lost when you apply brakes in crawling bumper traffic; I was so confused whether the car will stop when I applied the brakes while braking slowly in the traffic snarl.
12. A good & powerful A/C (not noisy either, at blower speed 3 - based on the digital indicator) in the not so warm climate; hope it stays true during summers too.
13. Had ignited and revved the iVtec too, the sound insulation in the cabin has to be better.
14. Used the music only for some time, but found it to be of acceptable quality.
15. Decent set of features on the "S" variant I TDed, driver height adjust, all power windows, ABS + EBD, seat belt reminder etc.
16. Decently spacious too, considering I am 6'2", but I always tend to think that amplifies because of the thin front seats.
17. Showroom / SA experience @ Linkway Honda was nice too, with smiling faces all around, right from the receptionist. The place was just too crowded with cars (as they have their service centre as well there) and was choc-a-bloc.
18. The new design (after facelift) doesn't offend any one, it felt good in person (though the thick chrome grill can make you think otherwise, in pictures).
19. The clutch release point was rather late while disengaging, will take some time getting used to.
20. The field of vision from all the three RVMs was quite decent and nothing to be complained about.
21. The steering was light and nice to hold (with thumb contours), can't think about feedback as I didn't try immediate lane changes (Definitey wasn't bad as the Wagon R). But the Palio's leather steering "feel" was so much better after the Amaze drive.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th July 2016 at 18:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 18:54   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
My Dad's 2 year old Amaze's cooling coil has gone bust. Seems like the second amaze that has the same issue according to the service center. Car has not run much, should be less than 20000 KM. Details are not known yet, we need to visit the service center in the evening. He has extended warranty, so covered for now.
Hmph - I just ran into a sudden drop in cooling after driving 45 km to a location outside Chennai and another 45 km back yesterday, the return during a rather hot mid afternoon. Amaze S MT bought in 2014 June and has hardly run 16100 odd km so far.

I can feel some cool air coming out of the vents but not very much at all, and there is a slight whiff of gas coming out when I switch on the AC.

I would suspect a slow leak in the coil given this rather than a compressor issue - but what I've seen of Honda ASS in Chennai, especially Capital Honda, I remain utterly unimpressed. I'll probably find one of the mechanics recommended in this thread. Probably the Suresh Car AC Works mentioned several times in the thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...chennai-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
Hi Team, I am planning to add a navigation unit with multimedia to my Amaze (2015 model). Can you please suggest some options? My budget is under 30k. Thanks in advance.
Google Maps. Seriously - the local variants like mapmyindia etc as well as international brands like Garmin just don't have the coverage that Google Maps does of even small lanes in tiny towns, local shops etc. Get yourself a windshield mount from Capdase etc and plug your phone into it, fire up maps. Also has an offline mode so you can download the route if you expect cell connectivity loss on the way. If you really want to spend money on a dedicated device, a cheap android phone with a data sim and with just maps installed (no facebook, twitter, mail sync etc setup, remove all unnecessary apps preinstalled on the phone) should fit the bill just fine.

Last edited by hserus : 31st July 2016 at 19:02.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:01   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hmph - I just ran into a sudden drop in cooling after driving 45 km to a location outside Chennai and another 45 km back yesterday, the return during a rather hot mid afternoon. Amaze S MT bought in 2014 June and has hardly run 16100 odd km so far.

I can feel some cool air coming out of the vents but not very much at all, and there is a slight whiff of gas coming out when I switch on the AC.

I would suspect a slow leak in the coil given this rather than a compressor issue - but what I've seen of Honda ASS in Chennai, especially Capital Honda, I remain utterly unimpressed. I'll probably find one of the mechanics recommended in this thread. Probably the Suresh Car AC Works mentioned several times in the thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...chennai-4.html
This work was done under warranty. Only gripe, took a week for the part to arrive. He had to bear the Cochin summer without an AC. Isn't your car under warranty? Dads car is also a 2013 model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks