Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 07:07   #2656
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
The vehicle is doing fine except for this beep. The beep has also got a pattern. As the vehicle starts from stationary position and picks up regular speed - the beep also follow it up - the typical beep pattern is, Beep Beep Beep, Beeeeeeeeeep, Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Did anyone have similar experience? Suggestions/observations/remedies folks - Will be thankful.
Either you're driving without wearing your seatbelt, or haven't completely disengaged the handbrake. Most likely seatbelt - which you do have to wear.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:19   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Either you're driving without wearing your seatbelt, or haven't completely disengaged the handbrake. Most likely seatbelt - which you do have to wear.
Hmm.I had this initial inkling. so tried simulating these conditions:

1. I wear seat belts all the time. Tried driving without seat belts - the beeps were much louder plus it shows on the console.
2. Also tried engaging and disengaging handbrake while on the run. Again the beeps were much louder and it shows on the console.
Old 5th May 2017, 08:25   #2658
BHPian

Hi kjayant! Better to take your car to ASC to get the problem diagnosed. I think it will be a minor issue.
Old 5th May 2017, 13:11   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Hi kjayant! Better to take your car to ASC to get the problem diagnosed. I think it will be a minor issue.
Had a quick drive to the Service Center. The AC blower (not the compressor) is the culprit. It will need to cleaned or worse still replaced.

Personally for me, replacement would make me better off.

The car carries extended warranty :-)
Old 26th May 2017, 20:40   #2660
BHPian

Honda Amaze Petrol (May 2015): Experience so far

Hi,

I own Honda Amaze Petrol SMT since May 2015. Coming from Hyundai Santro the characteristic of Amaze Petrol is quiet different. Santro had oodles of low end torque but in Amaze you must spin the engine till 1800 - 2000 RPM before shifting into next gear for smooth experience.

Listing down a few issues that I have faced till now and their status.

Rattling Windows
I have been suffering window rattles since beginning itself. I raised this issue with Honda dealership. They suggested me to keep the windows tightly rolled up all the time to avoid rattling. If you keep windows party or fully rolled down they rattled (unlike my old Hyundai Santro). They did road test and all but said everything is normal to which I disagree even today. The car feels like an expensive rattling toy. Very annoying!

I wrote to Honda customer care a few times but it seems they took word of dealership as Gospel. I called their customer care number a few times too, trying to get solution to the problem but it was horribly disappointing. I asked them about next level of escalation in Hondia India and still nothing from customer care. My experience with Hyundai was much better. They were prompt, their regional manager & other senior folks followed up for days. I wrote twice to Honda on twitter but no response either. Absolutely disappointing & indifferent attitude.

Faulty Instrument Cluster
A few months back I noticed that the audible solenoid alert while using turn signals was not coming. Sometimes seat belt warning beep too would not come. I thought the problem is with some buzzer and would be a simple fix but I was told that entire Instrument Cluster needs to be replaced. After a few weeks I got the cluster replaced under warranty. The service advisor acknowledged that they have received similar complaint from other Amaze owners too.

Dashboard Rattle
The left side of dashboard (near glove box) makes rattling noise when I go over uneven surface. I raised the issue in my last service and they claimed they have fixed it (some clip had come loose) but the problem still persists. Now traveling in Uttarakhand on broken / uneven pieces of tarmac, I can clearly hear the rattle noise frequently.

Service Charges
My car had run less than 13000KMs when I got my last service done. They charged me Rs700 for lubrication spray and Rs400 for engine scanning. First one is too inflated and I am not sure if scanning was needed (did not report any engine problem). But then accepted it as a precautionary measure. I guess such practices are quiet common in dealerships. And yes, they charged for Nitrogen & Windscreen washer fluid without my consent.

Driving Experience in Hills
I belong to Uttarakhand and travel to Nainital & around every year at least once. This is where I really find gearing a bit tall (especially 1 & 2). The gap between 2nd & 3rd gear gets pronounced here. On incline I need to keep RPM fairly up before up-shifting. The first gear could have been a bit low.

The problem is when you are on incline and need to down-shift quickly to overtake slow moving traffic. Most of the times downshift gives a jerk ... more pronounced when moving from 3rd to 2nd gear. I have tried things differently like moving through gear quickly, releasing clutch slowly etc, but jerk is there. I mentioned earlier that there seems to be a gap between 2nd & 3rd gear ratios. You need to keep engine revs noticeably high when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. If revs drop then 2nd gear really struggles, especially with decently loaded car.

On plains the problem is quite subdued. As I am writing, I am at Nainital and would me going on a hilly trip in coming days as well. I am expecting the same problem again. Will keep an eye.

Overall, my family is happy with the space that car offers. Barring few issues I am also OK with the car. The biggest let down to my opinion is the engine, which could have been better. Perhaps coming from Santro, I was expecting a bit too much from iVTEC engine. Maruti Dzire is offering a good petrol engine and that is quite frugal too (new one claims 22 kmpl). Also, I feel that metal sheet of Amaze is thin in comparison to Dzire (maybe its me only).

Thanks!
ms_rana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 00:05   #2661
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze Petrol (May 2015): Experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Hi,

I own Honda Amaze Petrol SMT since May 2015.
I also own two Amaze Diesel since 2013. Since mine is diesel so won’t be able to comment on engine and performance issue but I completely agree with you on the rattling issue. So many rattling are present in both of my cars including windows and dashboard. Hass is completely incompetent in solving this. Every time during schedule service I remind them about the rattlings but they are not able to solve it.

Even my service center use to add all unnecessary items like ac disinfection, engine scanning, but every time I politely say a firm NO to all these. I strictly make them follow maintenance schedule given in user manual.

Another issue I faced with both my cars is breaking of driver side seat bracket at around 60000km. Hass says this is not repairable, whole seat needs to be changed so I got it done outside. Did anyone else also face the same issue?
AnkitAnimesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 07:40   #2662

I drive a 2013 Honda Amaze i-vtec. It never was a trouble free ownership experience for me either.

1. The dash board rattle was there from the very beginning. It was corrected during the 1st service.

2. The middle portion of the rear seat back began to make a weird creaking noise whenever passengers rocked/pressed against it. I was so embarrassed while taking passengers at the rear especially when there where 3 of them.
It was due to a faulty bracket of the seat back frame which was replaced by HASS.

3. The OEM horn wouldn't blow at all. I noted that this would start after driving the car for a few kilometers. Again pretty embarrassing to hear when the sound won't fully come out. I guess you could imagine how it sounds and the situation, very dangerous. It was fixed only after 2-3 visits to the service center. Guess they did some kind of tuning with the horn.

4. Now the right side driver window is rattling. I drive with windows fully rolled up.

5. Yes, i too struggle with the cars weak low end torque. Also it's hard to slot in 2nd gear despite all that i've tried.

6. Could often hear the AC automatically turning on from the inside while driving. Yes, due to the poor cabin insulation.

7. Yes, the body of the car is very light, be it sheet metal or bumper parts.

Guess i shared only the cons of the car, for now.
Old 28th May 2017, 08:41   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze Petrol (May 2015): Experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Rattling Windows

Service Charges

Driving Experience in Hills

Also, I feel that metal sheet of Amaze is thin in comparison to Dzire (maybe its me only).

Thanks!
Not windows but a consistent squeak on and off from one of the orvms

I tell the service center not to do any of that, or wheel alignment, interior shampooing etc and do this stuff at 3m car care, Bridgestone dealers etc.

2000-2500 rpm from 1st to 2nd and 1500-2000 rpm for 2-3rd onwards gears and you don't get jerks.

Also the body and everything else is paper thin and even light impacts cause significant denting. I use a local garage for all denting and tinkering work, the dealer would inevitably ask me to replace the bumper whatever the impact.

This car is good and fun to drive but not a keeper for ten years like a corolla or accord.
Old 3rd June 2017, 21:47   #2664
BHPian

Returned from my Uttarakhand Trip

Hi,

Today I returned from two week long Uttrakhand trip. Traveled extensively from Delhi -> Haldwani -> Nainital -> Places around Nainital -> Bhimtal -> Rishikesh -> Dehradun -> Musoorie -> Haridwar -> Ramnagar -> Nainital -> Delhi.

Did approximately 1700Kms in hills & plains combined.

Conclusion on Amaze Petrol SMT & trip:
1. On hills jerks cannot be avoided especially while shifting down. Not sure if this will negatively impact clutch life.
2. Returned alone from Nainital. On downhill, heard weird squeaks from several places inside cabin. Windows as usual rattled all along.
3. Got overall mileage of 16.7 (hills & plains combined), which I guess is quite good. Especially when I drove fully loaded car most of the time at often triple digit speeds with good revs.
4. Apart from initial low end torque, I changed gears around 2000 RPM. That gave the best results.
5. Happy with ground clearance. Even with fully loaded car, I didn't bottom out (barring once on rutted road).
6. Driver seat is not sliding backward easily. Need to check if something is hindering the movement.
7. Given the simmering heat in plains, AC was OK but saps power. Had to play with AC switch to keep pace going.
8. With people using soiled shoes & other stuff, the interiors have got quite dirty. Need to get it cleaned.
9. Boot was quite loaded. The plywood cover in boot (over the spare tyre) is a bit out of shape.
10. Bumped bottom lip of front bumper while coming down a steep incline with abrupt rise. Scraped paint at a few places (not visible).
11. Dog ran into front left side of car bumper at 40Km speed for so. Apart from bruise lucky dog seemed OK. Bumper too seems to be fine.
12. Visited an acquaintance's village on Nainital - Almora road. The initial off-shoot road was OK then a few kms was totally rutted all dirt & rock narrow hilly road. Was doing 10 kmph with full load. swore never to come back again (meant for SUVs only with sheer drop on one side). While returning from village encountered a truck coming from opposite side on that narrow road (nightmare). Barely squeezed through but had to push against shrubs. Must have left some bruises on bodywork & paint. Will check later. Maybe a good polishing session may help.

Need to buy 3D type car mats to keep dirt in check inside cabin. Will be visiting Nainital again by end of June to pick up family.

Thanks.

Last edited by ms_rana : 3rd June 2017 at 21:51. Reason: grammer correction
Old 10th June 2017, 10:11   #2665
BHPian

Hi All! I being quoted Rs. 1800/- for 1 year road side assistance and Rs. 6700/- for 1 year extended warranty. My 2 years manufacturer warranty + 2 year extended warranty has expired this April. The car has an ODO reading of 50231 km.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 10:42   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Hi All! I being quoted Rs. 1800/- for 1 year road side assistance and Rs. 6700/- for 1 year extended warranty. My 2 years manufacturer warranty + 2 year extended warranty has expired this April. The car has an ODO reading of 50231 km.
The extended warranty is worth it, especially since you've already clocked 50000 km. See if you can extend it by 2-3 years.
The road side assistance is a bit pricey. See if you're car insurance already has that included as an option or shop around and see.
Old 10th June 2017, 11:02   #2667
BHPian

Kindly verify if the extended warranty is by the dealer or by Honda .
If it's the former , it would be better to check with the dealer what all is covered and more importantly what all will be omitted .
Old 10th June 2017, 11:30   #2668
BHPian

Extended warranty is by the manufacturer having the usual exclusions for parts subjected to wear & tear. They are providing it on yearly basis. On personal front I feel that's too much of an amount when you add the yearly bi service each costing around 5-6k.
Old 18th July 2017, 15:41   #2669
MCR
BHPian

Honda India has launched a new version of Amaze called 'Privilege'.

This car sports the Digipad infotainment system seen on the W-RV and the City. Apart from that it also sports Driver armrest and Beige colored seat covers.

Feature and Price list from Rushlane:
Speaking about the price of new Honda Amaze Privilege Edition, it is priced from INR 6.48 lakh for the petrol variant and INR 7.73 lakh for the diesel variant. Features of the Honda Digipad are as follows –
· In-built Satellite Linked 3D Navigation
· My storage Internal Media Memory 1.5GB
· Mirror Link support for Smartphone Connectivity
· Internet access for Browsing, Email and Live Traffic via optional Wifi Receiver
· Voice Commands for Media, Navigation and Calling
· Smartphone Voice Assistant Activation
· Bluetooth for Handsfree Telephone and Audio Streaming Support
· AM/FM Digital Radio Tuner, MP3/WAV, i-Pod/i-phone compatible
· USB slots (2 Nos), Micro SD Card Slots for Maps and Media (2 Nos.) & HDMI-IN port

Link to the new article: https://www.rushlane.com/new-honda-a...-12198868.html

So after the launch of new Dzire, the touchscreen bug has bitten the sub 4-meter sedan segment.

The funniest part is, why would one need to spend close to 5 lakhs more for a City with same engine (Diesel) and almost same feature list!
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 17:00   #2670
BHPian

It is based on S (Opt) variant. Surprising that only for 10k more than the current price of S (Opt), you get Digipad and all these features. Really attractive package now. I am in the market for Sedan and was considering City as one of the options but rightly said, I will think twice before spending nearly 4.5 - 5L additional on City now when the same engine/features are available for much cheaper.
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed