Team-BHP - Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/134501-review-1st-gen-honda-amaze-2013-a-180.html)

Got a chance to drive the Amaze today. Was impressed by the space and the City like instrument cluster. I never really liked the way the steering of the Brio twin looks like. My view has not still changed but I did like the way, the soft touch steering feels in my hand. The people upto height 5'8 can use the rear headrest sitting upright.

Coming to the drive, the car felt decent to drive at lower RPM's. The mid-range was a bit flat. However, after 3000 RPM mark, you could feel the engine coming alive. It was like a small boost which kicks in after 3000 RPM. Overall, was impressed by the car. The 1.2 I-Vtec felt livelier in the Amaze when compared to the Jazz. I would definitely pick this car over the petrol Xcent. The Dzire still felt a better package overall and the engine is peppier. It would be a close call between this and the petrol Aspire, with Amaze taking the lead. That being said, the Amaze feels overpriced by 50k when compared to the competition. And the lack of ABS in the lower variants is a deal breaker.

In short, I went for the test drive not expecting too much and came out impressed. As far as my choice is concerned, it was made last week by booking the Figo TDCI. :D

P.S.- I didn't like the way the engine sounds and the way the cabin shakes at start. This initial sound and vibration was less pronounced in the Jazz though.

My petrol Amaze with 15k on ODO runs on all JK tyre vectra tube less and an unused spare. Last Thursday when I was on Hyderabad to Vijayawada highway, after doing more than 100km from Hyderabad, I have suddenly felt a weird sound from my right rear tyre. I have stopped the vehicle instantly and surprised to see the completely flat tyre with two holes on the side wall.

Luckily found a road side puncture wala who quickly changed the wheel with spare and commented that I have driven the car for more than 50km with flat tyre. He also identifed a huge nail that caused the puncture in the tyre. I have shocked with his statement as I have not identifed any symptoms other than the weird sound in the tyre just one minute before I stopped.

After going home, I have replaced the side wall damaged tyre with a brand new one. The tyre which I have lost has still 80% of thread left, unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickstead (Post 4276652)

After going home, I have replaced the side wall damaged tyre with a brand new one. The tyre which I have lost has still 80% of thread left, unfortunately.

If you have a bumper to bumper zero depreciation insurance, you can claim insurance for the damaged tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickstead (Post 4276652)
Luckily found a road side puncture wala who quickly changed the wheel with spare and commented that I have driven the car for more than 50km with flat tyre. He also identifed a huge nail that caused the puncture in the tyre. I have shocked with his statement as I have not identifed any symptoms other than the weird sound in the tyre just one minute before I stopped.

Let me guess, this roadside puncture wallah was less than a quarter km away from where you started hearing this weird noise?

And you were likely driving in the leftmost lane of the road at the time?

A lot of these fellows like to increase their business by scattering nuts, bolts, nails etc on the road at a distance precisely calculated to ensure that you will notice you have a puncture and come to a stop almost next to their shop.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...periences.html

I've given up driving on the left of the road - especially if I see a big stack of tyres coming up to my left, the usual business signboard for puncture wallahs, I change lanes ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4277298)
Let me guess, this roadside puncture wallah was less than a quarter km away from where you started hearing this weird noise?

And you were likely driving in the leftmost lane of the road at the time?

A lot of these fellows like to increase their business by scattering nuts, bolts, nails etc on the road at a distance precisely calculated to ensure that you will notice you have a puncture and come to a stop almost next to their shop.

I agree with your comments on these puncture wallahs.
Yes, weird noise started exactly when I was just quarter km away to a puncture wallah. I was doing the minimum triple digit speed at that time. I have stopped the vehicle with in 2-3 minutes of hearing the weird sound.

My better half was sleeping on the rear seat and my 400 lt boot was fully packed.

But, Is it possible to have a heavy side wall damage with in couple of minutes of driving with a flat tyre ?
So, I have indireclty assumed that I have driven the car for more distance with low tyre pressure. Infact I have filled the tyre one day before my journey @ 32 psi.

You drove a quarter km on almost the rims I would guess, given a huge nail and two holes in your tyre?

The Amaze requires 29 psi not 32 - so over inflating the tyre isn't actually a good idea. Stick to 29 and try to fill Nitrogen before long highway trips.

If you over inflate and then drive on rough roads / speedbreakers etc with a fully loaded car, especially the Amaze which doesn't have terribly good ground clearance and skinny 175/65r14 tyres, then the sidewall does tend to wear out even without an enterprising puncture wallah to help it on its way.

In about a month's time my Amaze diesel will be due for it's 90000 km service. Since my car is out of warranty I am planning to try some other oil instead of Idemitsu recommended by Honda. As per my understanding the recommended oil is 5w30 with ACEA C2 OR C3 grade.

Any recommendation what should I do and what oil should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I own an Amaze iDtech, which has clocked close to 22k. I called up the Magnum Honda service centre in Bangalore and spoke to a service advisor. He said that my 20k service is due and it will cost somewhere around 9k.

I mean regular service costs me 3.5k to 5k. Can someone help me understand if the charges are normal?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJoe (Post 4279860)
Hi,

I own an Amaze iDtech, which has clocked close to 22k. I called up the Magnum Honda service centre in Bangalore and spoke to a service advisor. He said that my 20k service is due and it will cost somewhere around 9k.

I mean regular service costs me 3.5k to 5k. Can someone help me understand if the charges are normal?

Thanks!

Hi MarkJoe,
I think 9k would be with all the extras that the service advisor's usually throw in.
You can refer to the owners manual, service section & ask the service advisor to only carry out the listed maintenance work. Also the job card on the reverse side has the price list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnkitAnimesh (Post 4279621)
In about a month's time my Amaze diesel will be due for it's 90000 km service. Since my car is out of warranty I am planning to try some other oil instead of Idemitsu recommended by Honda. As per my understanding the recommended oil is 5w30 with ACEA C2 OR C3 grade.

Any recommendation what should I do and what oil should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry ankit, I am replying to your post rather late and I don't know if you have already changed the engine oil. Anyway, my suggestion would be Castrol Edge pro titanium 5w30 or Mobil 1 5w30; both are fantastic, long drain, and fully-synthetic oils. I have personally used Castrol Edge for almost 5 years now and have been more than satisfied in its performance. Even Shell Helix is good but personally I was not very happy and hence not included above. Cheers

The upcoming Honda Amaze 2018 to look a lot like the elder brother Honda City. Will borrow styling cues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulcrum (Post 4313060)
The upcoming Honda Amaze 2018 to look a lot like the elder brother Honda City. Will borrow styling cues.

This is a rendering by Autocar India.

The front seems to have been lifted from the current gen City :).

Hope the actual design is similar to this rendering. Looks neat as opposed to the dated design of the current generation.

If you look closely that is an edited image of current amaze.

The next amaze will not be a facelift or MMC, it will be a completely different car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumzup (Post 4308009)
Sorry ankit, I am replying to your post rather late and I don't know if you have already changed the engine oil. Anyway, my suggestion would be Castrol Edge pro titanium 5w30 or Mobil 1 5w30; both are fantastic, long drain, and fully-synthetic oils. I have personally used Castrol Edge for almost 5 years now and have been more than satisfied in its performance. Even Shell Helix is good but personally I was not very happy and hence not included above. Cheers

The Idemitsu semi synthetic (0W20) is ok sort of - I recently changed to it - but I am not at all sure I want to put 10K km on my amaze with this filled. 7 to 7.5k maybe. My last fill Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 was fantastic.

Hi Team,
Have brought my ivtec for servicing. The ODO stands at 52986 km and the age is 4 years 8 months.
The ASC insisted for 60k service. Apart from engine oil + filter I have asked them to replace transmission & brake oil. They refused to change fuel filter. The estimated cost is Rs. 7000/-, I think it's quite on higher side.
Specifically told them to avoid doing any diagnostic scan or any other unwanted things.
I have been told that they have approximately 100 cars to serve today!
As a true BHPian I have stationed myself in the lounge.