Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 14:11   #271
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Based on my discussion with the Honda sales rep, diesel brio could be later this year or early next year.

Also any idea on the mileage for the Amaze AT. Even though I have booked the Diesel variant , given the fact that my primary need is the office commute of around 50 odd kms daily and the high noise levels of the Diesel Amaze, might end up choosing the AT.
I read in GTO's Amaze review that the Brio diesel has been shelved for the time being due to NVH issues.
Old 7th April 2013, 14:16   #272
BHPian

From the pics and other reviews, it looks like there is no dead-pedal even in the AT variant! wonder why such basic equipment is skimped.

Can it be fitted in the aftermarket?
Old 7th April 2013, 20:19   #273
BHPian

The only grouse pre launch i suspect would be the nvh levels and hondas typical light weight and lightest metal sheets used

Trust me my citys handling is good but the tinny feel of the body panels makes me scary at times or it may be just that i m spoilt by my fiat
Old 7th April 2013, 20:33   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
The only grouse pre launch i suspect would be the nvh levels and hondas typical light weight and lightest metal sheets used

Trust me my citys handling is good but the tinny feel of the body panels makes me scary at times or it may be just that i m spoilt by my fiat
Going by the kerb weight of amaze, it's just as thin as any other Japanese vehicle in that class. One of the main design elements of a Japanese car is to make it light weight. Toyota does that even with the Lexus. And Honda, Toyota and Suzuki make very good vehicles even while they are light weight giving them an advantage over the competition in terms of performance, durability, ease of drive etc.

People whose need is heavy weight cars will always go for American/European brands. People who prefer light weight cars prefer the Japanese/Korean brands. Both has its own advantages/disadvantages and there is a market for both.

And a car being light in no way means it's less safe. It's the other design elements that matter like how effective the brakes are in preventing a collision, how efficient the body shell is in absorbing impact and transferring only a part to the cabin. How good the impact beams are and how efficient and fast the air bags are.

For instance, a supposed to be tinny sedan - the Etios gets a 4 star rating in Latin ncap safety rating which is quite decent.

Last edited by amalji : 7th April 2013 at 20:41.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 20:37   #275
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Thank you GTO for the wonderful & detailed review (as always). I feel every prospective buyer should read Team-BHP's review before making final buying decision. The finer details mentioned & explained here can probably be found at no other place (atleast online).

Finally I feel there is a car in Indian market to challenge Maruti Swift Dzire. When it comes to reliability & trust in minds of Indian consumer I feel it is only Honda after Maruti. I think Honda is little late in introducing Diesel engine / car in India as the recent & expected Diesel price hikes have forced prospective car buyers to look for CNG / Petrol options.

Though it is in direct competition to likes of Indigo CS, Mahindra Verito, Chervolet Sail, etc, but I feel a prospective buyer of Honda Amaze will not look beyond Swift, Etios & Fiesta.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 7th April 2013 at 20:40.
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 20:42   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Going by the kerb weight of amaze, it's just as thin as any other Japanese vehicle in that class. One of the main design elements of a Japanese car is to make it light weight. Toyota does that even with the Lexus.
I agree. It is not the thickness of the metal used, but the design which make the vehicle stronger. A sheet with 2 mm may perform better than 3 mm if the earlier one was designed better. A good design will save material cost and reduce the weight of the vehicle, which in-turn will improve the mileage.
ambadan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 21:25   #277
BHPian

Thank you very much, GTO and the moderator team, for this 5 star review.

What a way for Honda to arrive on the diesel scene! However from the feedback that no one even seemed to notice the car on the road in Goa seems to indicate a target group who like cars that are not flashy and do their basic job well.
Are there really no downsides to the engine (other than the NVH)? Hope fuel from even smaller towns (with probably some adulteration / lower quality) will not cause issues. Also am wondering about the link between viscosity of the oil used and fuel efficiency, and what happens if/when that is changed or differently topped up when needed, say at petrol pumps. I am in the market for a small car, will await some ownership reports.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 22:08   #278
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review!!

Would love to see a Diesel Amaze , Diesel Brio Combo against the Swift Brothers.

-Vinay
Old 7th April 2013, 22:16   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you'll like:
• A practical family sedan. Realistic pricing too
• Spacious interiors can easily carry 5 adults
• Stunning in-city driveability (petrol & diesel, both). Torquey engine & nice gearshift
• Well-tuned suspension. Safe handling and flat ride
• Cavernous 595L boot swallows holiday luggage
• Toyota’s excellent after-sales service

What you won't:
• Dated, plain-vanilla styling. Lacks contemporariness
• Missing equipment (climate control, height adjustable seat, electric ORVMs etc.)
• Economy-grade interior quality & unconventional dashboard
• Cost-cutting glaringly evident in many areas
• Buzzy engine at high rpm. Cabin NVH is poor
To me, what Amaze brings out is how good and practical, its rival, the Etios is. The Etios can do all that the Amaze does and then some. It can seat 5, has a huge boot,is as reliable as a Honda. Between the too, I really dont see much character in design as well. But somehow, Etios seems to have lost on its perception as a cheap car.

Last edited by navin : 8th April 2013 at 10:50. Reason: removed picture to reduce size of quote
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 22:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

To me, what Amaze brings out is how good and practical, its rival, the Etios is. The Etios can do all that the Amaze does and then some. It can seat 5, has a huge boot,is as reliable as a Honda. Between the too, I really dont see much character in design as well. But somehow, Etios seems to have lost on its perception as a cheap car.
It has not entirely lost out. In March 2013 sales ( post the facelift release ) , Etios is the number 2 best seller behind Dzire among sedans of any class. Manza + Indigo, Verito, Verna, Fiesta Classic, vento, sunny all has sales numbers below the Etios.

With Amaze coming out, it's going to be a difficult game though because Amaze offers decent practicality ( unlike dzire ), decent aesthetics ( unlike Etios ), class leading performance and mileage, and should definitely have the cost advantage due to the 4m design.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:39   #281
BHPian

Quote:

It can be other way around also.
With Amaze having adequate boot space, good rearseat legroom and a better driveable diesel engine people might feel extra money for Etios isnot required. And Honda brand having equal brand power help the cause further.

But then every car having there own set of advantages and disadvantages. Its difficult to predict how Indian customers will react

Initially I had no liking for the Etios diesel. Though after amalji's thread and revealation I have developed good respect for Toyota's low cost of ownership and overall practicality. With recent facelift it is more desirable as well.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:01   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried to derive the torque per ton for the Duster and Amaze at low and high rpms and this is what I came up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
As per specs,
Car...............................Innova.........Q uanto............Duster...........Amaze........... Manza.
The cars the Amaze will compete against are the Etois and maybe the Verna and a little less often the Manza. The Quanto, Innova and Duster cater to different needs.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:09   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Etios still hasn't lost the game, specially after the facelift, which has come before the Amaze launch. Interiors are decent now and the car along with Liva really worked on the NVH aspect. With Amaze reporting high level of NVH and Brio diesel being dropped because of this NVH issue, this is where Etios might score after the initial euphoria about Amaze diesel dies down.

Quote:
With Amaze coming out, it's going to be a difficult game though because Amaze offers decent practicality ( unlike dzire ), decent aesthetics ( unlike Etios ), class leading performance and mileage, and should definitely have the cost advantage due to the 4m design.
Let's see how the game goes. I am still not comfortable with a brand new diesel engine from Honda. Would still prefer time-tested Toyota and Fiat engines, at least for some time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Initially I had no liking for the Etios diesel. Though after amalji's thread and revealation I have developed good respect for Toyota's low cost of ownership and overall practicality. With recent facelift it is more desirable as well.
+1 to that. The face lifted Etios has gone by the market feedback. Excepting for the centrally mounted Instrument Cluster, all other things have been corrected. Many people still might have a problem with the Instrument Panel, but that cannot be the only reason to predict that Etios will be a dead product after Amaze's launch.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:15   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

The cars the Amaze will compete against are the Etois and maybe the Verna and a little less often the Manza. The Quanto, Innova and Duster cater to different needs.
Yes, we are indeed aware of it. We just compared the engine's capabilities for curiosity sake and was pleasantly surprised with the fact that it compares well with these stalwarts. :-)

Last edited by amalji : 8th April 2013 at 11:16.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:16   #285
BHPian

Quote:
It has not entirely lost out. In March 2013 sales ( post the facelift release ) , Etios is the number 2 best seller behind Dzire among sedans of any class. Manza + Indigo, Verito, Verna, Fiesta Classic, vento, sunny all has sales numbers below the Etios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Etios still hasn't lost the game, specially after the facelift, which has come before the Amaze launch. Interiors are decent now and the car along with Liva really worked on the NVH aspect. With Amaze reporting high level of NVH and Brio diesel being dropped because of this NVH issue, this is where Etios might score after the initial euphoria about Amaze diesel dies down.
Etios seems to be a late mover and hopefully will be a steady one for Toyota. I guess people really need to be convinced about its practicality.
Amaze should definitely up the battle for Etios and in response, I hope Toyota would up the number of goodies packed, in addition to the present facelift. The good thing is, it is win-win for the customer.

And if the Etios does become a steady success, I hope they dont keep milking it for years together like the Innova.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 8th April 2013 at 12:19.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed