Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 20:10   #46
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

We are looking at the lower powered cars like the Dzire, Logan, Manza etc as competition, but given that this baby develops a 100 PS of power, it is going to influence those buyers who have so far been looking at purchasing a Vento/Rapid as well. How does this 100 PS engine compare with the 105 PS engine of the VW group? Will be very eager to read views on this as well. If a few mm of length does not matter too much, should a prospective Vento/Rapid buyer look towards the Amaze favorably? Or are we making inaccurate comparisons here?
Old 1st April 2013, 20:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Was looking forward to this review of the new diesel on the block. A very good review which deserves the 5 star rating as minimum.

Honda seems to have a winner on the hands unless they mess up with the pricing. This one will take a pie out of the Etios, Dzire and Manza for sure.

Time for a few queries now,

1. The petrol car had the Amaron Battery, while the diesel one was not clear, which one is it for the diesel?

2. How easy is it to get in and out from the rear seat, is it set too low? Somehow feel the Etios will have an upper hand on this aspect.

3. Since Honda took quite some time to get this diesel out, did they mention anything about how many kilometers has this been tested with the quality of diesel available in the country.

4. Any pointers to the maintenance cost of the diesel? Both Honda and Toyota should be cheap to maintain, but still curious to know about the expected cost of maintenance.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:29   #48
PPS
Senior - BHPian

5 star Review, GTO!
Electric folding mirrors are a segment first, but i guess they would be for the top end variant only?
Were all the cars available to the media only the top end variants? I hope Honda offers a joystick inside to adjust the ORVM's in the entry level variant, something which is missing in the Brio!
Also in your drive around Goa, what mileage did you get as per the MID?
Subject to pricing, i feel this is going to be a Blockbuster car.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:33   #49
BHPian

Great review as always. Now Dzire has a real competition on its hands. Would love to see how the market reacts to a Diesel from Honda! I cant wait for the Diesel powered City. It would really open up the Sedan market for Honda I am sure.

However, it would be interesting to see how the down trending market would take this launch. I hope Honda has a winner here
Old 1st April 2013, 20:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quite impressed by Honda's effort but final verdict after pricing is out.

Car looks very homogeneous overall esp when compared to the Dzire. Huge plus point because you feel like its a proper sedan.

I only wish they had done more to differentiate the front and the interior from the Brio.

Very surprised to hear about engine vibrations on a Honda with hydraulic mounts.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:59   #51
BHPian

Great review as usual GTO. Rated 5 stars.

The important thing for Honda is that with the diesel they seem to have an absolute winner. A 25 kmpl diesel is a winner in this market provided the car is priced at levels similar to the DZire.
A proper price band for the Amaze and the Corporate and E variants of the City could see their sales dropping to near zilch.
And add to that great pictures
Old 1st April 2013, 21:03   #52
AWD
BHPian

My few concerns:

1) New diesel on Indian roads, long term running & reliability needs to be seen.

2) Brio hatch does not ride well, hope this is not the case with Amaze.

3) High NVH, Better Interiors will prompt Honda to introduce a V2 version early in the life.

Finally for someone like me, who does not require/need/want a boot attached on, the Brio hatch makes more sense. Added benefit of saving some extra moolah, acquiring a better looking car & possibly higher efficiency & pick-up. Therefore the most important query, when is the BRIO Diesel coming ?
Old 1st April 2013, 21:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. This review is exactly as i expected it to be. Reviews by other magazines will have to wait till i finish this one.

Rear leg room looks wonderful, Boot space is good too. But really pathetic interiors. And just like Santro/Alto !! Something Etios can say mine is not bad either !!

But production capacity of 4-5K per month ? We know the pricing decides the future of this model, but if they price it too aggressive, its going to be really long waiting periods !!
Old 1st April 2013, 21:19   #54
BHPian

Honda should price it well and then gradually take up the rates (crucial as gone by the jazz experience). Hope the diesel doesn't clatter worse than the Tdi vento (segment higher but tractor at best on cold starts). Lastly service costs, Honda please take care of that.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:32   #55
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. Thanks!

Could you please put a comparison chart between different variants of Amaze (both petrol and diesel)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Engine cover wears the "Earth Dreams Technology" nameplate:
This is strange. Honda started using "Earth Dreams Technology" nameplate for gas engines when they launched 2013 Honda Accord in US this year.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_28.html

I wonder why they are using this nameplate only for diesel engines in India and not for the petrol ones. Looks more like a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Amaze's stereo has no CD player. Choose from USB, AUX or FM as your music source.
Not surprised by this.

Many international auto journalists have recently predicted that CD players/HDD will be obsolete soon and manufacturers will start dropping them from their offerings , as most consumers are choosing USB,AUX,FM and Satellite Radio as the most preferred media sources.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:45   #56
BHPian

I think petrol is really VFM. They seem to have sorted the ride quality issues and the glaring cost cutting is absent. If priced about 80K-1L more than brio, it will live up to its amazing name
Old 1st April 2013, 21:54   #57
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review GTO.

I have booked the car already. Hope I would be the first one around here to get the delivery. (expecting it before 15th April)
Old 1st April 2013, 21:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread, rating it a well deserved 5 star.

Regarding the car, how would the car behave in the highway and its braking abilities. How is the straight line stability in emergency or stress braking? With the skinny tires will the tail jump out of the line?

25.48 is something really unbelievable for a car of its size which would mean that its cheaper to run this when compared to the 200 CC+ motorbikes.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:09   #59
BHPian

THIS.REVIEW.IS.BRILLIANT

It took me more than half an hour to cover the review and I enjoyed every bit of it. I don't think it can get any better than this anywhere else on the Internet (or even auto magazines for that matter). Thank you so much GTO and team!

The Honda sure has a winner on their cards. Cost cutting is visible in a few areas like integrated head restraints, the lack of padding material in the wheel wells, and the cover less boot, but the overall package looks very tight and I'd bet my money on this car over any other competitor in the compact sedan segment right now.

I have a feeling this will be a market hit
Old 1st April 2013, 22:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
I wonder why they are using this nameplate only for diesel engines in India and not for the petrol ones. Looks more like a marketing gimmick.
The petrol unit in the Amaze is basically a downsized L-series engine that has been on the market for a few years now (since ANHC launch)

'Earth dreams' tech strategy is something Honda announced very recently. 2.4L GDI petrol, 1.6 Diesel, 2-motor hybrid and CVT were part of the initial suite of technologies launched. (all fuel economy driven). You will see the 2.4P & CVT soon, when the new Accord is out.

The L-series 'Earth Dreams' will launch with the 2014 City and will offer the 1.5/1.2 direct injection petrol

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd April 2013 at 01:27.
Mpower is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed