Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 09:35   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
If one's looking for aen entry level sedan, I'd suggest u go for the Dzire or the Etios.
Rr seat can comfortable accomodate just the 2 passengers. If u try fitting a third, u'll earn an enemy for life.
Since you mentioned Dzire and Etios and also mentioned Amaze cannot accomodate more than 2 passengers at the rear, How does it compare with Dzire ?

I know Etios is bigger and wider and 3 is no problem, Dzire is tight but can adjust 3 adults(leg room is the issue though!!) Is the amaze rear width smaller than that of Dzire ?
Old 18th April 2013, 09:35   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any answers to my question about OEM vendor of common rail system of this 1.5 diesel engine ?
The common rail system and the pumps are all supplied by Denso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
.... Amaze cannot accomodate more than 2 passengers at the rear, How does it compare with Dzire ?
Is the amaze rear width smaller than that of Dzire ?
Well, the Amaze has a very cleverly designed caib. The legroom is nothing short of brilliant. But the width? Yes, its way too narrow. The Dzire is kinda better in that accord. Although the overall width of the vehicles vary by only 15 mm, the shoulder room is just too low in Amaze.

PS: It's a personal opinion. Please do take a test drive for a better clarification

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2013 at 03:46. Reason: Posts merged.
Carb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 09:42   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about the rear seat width ? Can 3 people be accommodated on this ? or is it a comfortable 4 seater only ?
It is a comfortable 4 seater only!
When I test drove, we were three people. My colleague was the one who was booking and he had still not decided whether to go for a Brio or an Amaze.

Although the rear seat in his car will be empty most of the times, we specifically compared the width by sitting together in the rear seats of both the cars.
The cabin width is pretty much same in both the cars, but 3 people can sit more comfortably in a Brio than an Amaze.
We found out that the problem lies in the seat design. Below is the picture taken from Brouchures of both the cars. I've circled areas where the seat differs.

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-ba.png

Amaze offers more cushion to your shoulders and hug you better. this cushion also extends to the door.
It is this cusion that eats up space and the third passenger should be either very thin or he should be made of rubber

The Brio's backrest on the other hand is flat and this cushion is absent which gives you some 2 inches of space and the third passenger is "relatively" more comfortable

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th April 2013 at 09:46.
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 09:56   #679
BHPian

Quote:

Since you mentioned Dzire and Etios and also mentioned Amaze cannot accomodate more than 2 passengers at the rear, How does it compare with Dzire ?

I know Etios is bigger and wider and 3 is no problem, Dzire is tight but can adjust 3 adults(leg room is the issue though!!) Is the amaze rear width smaller than that of Dzire ?
If we talk about Dzire then I must add that three standard sized people is a tight business at the back.
Two adults and a kid is somewhat ok. Brio which I have checked is more or less similar and hence Amaze shouldnot be too different.

For genuine rearseat advantage cars like Etios and Manza are good.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:12   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The power Honda claims, is sorely missed out in the petrol variant. Just doesn't take off from a speedbreaker in the second gear.
Need to check this point , will be giving booking cheque today but torn between Petrol VX MT and Diesel S MT.
Feature differences are Air bags , height adjustable driver seat , heat absorbing wind shield and electrical folding OVRMs at the cost of 12 PS less power and half peak torque.

Quote:

And the diesel: The power delivery is great. The surge is well noticed once the turbo kicks in. But the NVH? Its really bad. The clutch was pulsating. Gear shifting was a mess and the brake pedal was just vague and hard to operate.
Could be an one-off case though.
In the test drive vehicle at Whitefield Honda I found clutch and brakes to be good. NVH was also good compared to other Diesel engines in same segment that is Dezire ,Manza and ETIOS.

My only concern about Diesel is notorious Honda service costs in case of major components like injectors ,rails and fuel pump which are most affacted by fuel quality. May be one year down the line it will be clear how good and robust is this engine.

Quote:
AC effectiveness was fine too
Really ? I found AC to be ineffective in both and specially bad in petrol variant.
Took test drive at around 2:30 PM in afternoon. It takes about 1.5 KM drive for cabin to cool down at full blast. Sales person claimed that AC is same in both so may be the difference was that petrol variant cabin was not pre-cooled.

I think Tata motors is providing best AC in this segment.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:23   #681
BHPian

Quote:
In the test drive vehicle at Whitefield Honda I found clutch and brakes to be good. NVH was also good compared to other Diesel engines in same segment that is Dezire ,Manza and ETIOS.

Really ? I found AC to be ineffective in both and specially bad in petrol variant.
The diesel variant NVH levels aren't the best in class as you mention.
The NVH levels in Etios have been improved since the March launch. The engine noise is really low in it. However, the tire noise filters in quite badly.
Dzire too, the cabin stays really quiet.

And speaking about the AC, the effectiveness was good in the diesel variant. If I'm not mistaken, the AC compressor specs are different for the petrol and diesel variants. And, if you wanna experience the best-in-class AC effect, forget the Tata. Check out Etios You'll be frozen in seconds
Old 18th April 2013, 12:00   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Need to check this point , will be giving booking cheque today but torn between Petrol VX MT and Diesel S MT.
Feature differences are Air bags , height adjustable driver seat , heat absorbing wind shield and electrical folding OVRMs at the cost of 12 PS less power and half peak torque.

I would advise you not to compromise on safety [Airbags] and pick up the petrol variant. Else push the budget a bit and go for diesel variant with airbags.

Thanks,
Prakash.
prakasse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:10   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Took back to back test drive of petrol and diesel Amaze at Whitefield Honda.
SA had a attitude problem and first he offered me only Diesel as many customers are waiting for petrol. I had to be bit harsh and chided him that I am not for joy ride but to compare petrol and diesel drivability and also efficiency of breaking with and without ABS. Got a very short drive but made full use of it.
Hi Amit,

How was the breaking with/without ABS. I know everyone might recommend the ABS versions over non-ABS, but the difference between a S variant and VX variant is also huge (70-80k). Hence if you can shed some light on the breaking ability, it would be great.

OT:we are looking at a Petrol variant, mostly S because of pricing.

Cheers,
Anup C
Old 18th April 2013, 12:14   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
I would advise you not to compromise on safety [Airbags] and pick up the petrol variant. Else push the budget a bit and go for diesel variant with airbags.

Thanks,
Prakash.
Thanks Prakash I am on same page about safety issue and that's why inching towards petrol.

Budget is not an issue here but with the amount of monthly driving the Diesel variant will break even in almost 3-4 years.

I will always have a bigger Diesel vehicle for long distance drives so does it make sense to spend 1.25 Lakhs extra on diesel ? May be I can use this 1.25 L on something else more productively.

I think it's going to be Petrol now
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:23   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Hi Amit,

How was the breaking with/without ABS. I know everyone might recommend the ABS versions over non-ABS, but the difference between a S variant and VX variant is also huge (70-80k). Hence if you can shed some light on the breaking ability, it would be great.

OT:we are looking at a Petrol variant, mostly S because of pricing.

Cheers,
Anup C
Well Anup difference in braking with or without ABS can not be identified clearly in the short test drive on tarmac these guys are offering. ABS advantage is felt if you are on gravel / wet road.

To be fair the car is light weight and not too long and quite aerodynamic so I did not observe any fish tailing but this is on tarmac and I am SUV driver so my expectations are bit different.

If you can stretch then go for ABS. ABS is standard in Diesel variants and if it fits your budget then you can look at Diesel E or EX as well.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:56   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prakash I am on same page about safety issue and that's why inching towards petrol.
I second that. Good decision.

However, the brakes on the Amaze top variant did feel lethargic.

And another important thing u might want to note is the warranty: 2 years/ 40,000 kms :/ That's a segment worst, i believe!!!

Just found an article written by an ex vice president from Honda. A straight-forward one actually. So, having my reservations of posting it over here. Will do so, if u guys might wanna take a look.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:14   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Just found an article written by an ex vice president from Honda. A straight-forward one actually. So, having my reservations of posting it over here. Will do so, if u guys might wanna take a look.
The article's written by him, so its his views. You should not have any reservations posting it here and quoting the original source. This forum is for knowledge sharing not just honda fanboys (BTW, I won a honda too)

Ofcourse, check if its relevant to the general Honda thread or to the Amaze thread and post accordingly.

Anyway enough Sorry mods
Old 18th April 2013, 13:35   #688
BHPian

Quote:

Budget is not an issue here but with the amount of monthly driving the Diesel variant will break even in almost 3-4 years.

I will always have a bigger Diesel vehicle for long distance drives so does it make sense to spend 1.25 Lakhs extra on diesel ? May be I can use this 1.25 L on something else more productively.

Since you will not use this vehicle for long drives, i would suggest you go for the well proven i-VTEC petrol engine. You would definitely enjoy it. Further you can save 1.25 lakhs and use it for fueling your bigger vehicle for long drives .

Off topic, since this is your second car and will be used more by your wife, why not settle for Brio... is boot a mandatory requirement?

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:38   #689
Senior - BHPian

Finally we made up mind and thanks to the exhaustive review done by GTO. It was terribly influencing us in the decision to book the Amaze. Have booked the Honda Amaze Vx Variant in Diesel. Had to cancel the Figo Titanium.
Bit confused if Vx is the best option or settle in for the S Variant which seems to be more of a VFM option. The only stuff that we would be missing would be the air bags & rear Defogger apart from which the rest of pluses seem to be more of a cosmetic value

Alloys, Heat Absorbing Wind Shield, Dual Tone Beige Interiors, Beige Carpet, Turn Signals on the ORVMS, Auto Folding ORVMs.
Do they actually deserve the additional cost of 111K

Any Pointers that I can get so that I can consider them if I have overlooked them in my thought process.

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th April 2013 at 13:39.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:46   #690
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with gomzi.If it is relevant to the thread, you should post it.I know i want to see the contents of that article.That said, u can PM me the link if you have reservations about posting it here!

Last edited by Dr.Nishath : 18th April 2013 at 13:49. Reason: spelling error

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks