Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 00:54   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Here in Bangalore most taxis are logan/varito and now Etios.
This has an impact on acceptability of Etios as personal vehicle to sone extent.
Logan was never that popular as personal vehicle so there is no impact.

There are few Dezire taxis as well but since personal vehicles far out number taxis I think there is not much impact and its not perceived as taxi.
Old 26th April 2013, 00:59   #797

That is very true. Etios, although intended as a vehicle for the middle class consumer, has been a favorite for taxis. However Toyota's reliability has lead to less taxis breaking down on Bangalore roads, which is good.
Old 26th April 2013, 02:12   #798
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading somewhere that, petrol top speed is around 165 and diesel its around 180. Don't from where the 145 figure, which was posted few posts back, Came from.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 08:45   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_k View Post
That is very true. Etios, although intended as a vehicle for the middle class consumer, has been a favorite for taxis. However Toyota's reliability has lead to less taxis breaking down on Bangalore roads, which is good.

Agree... Here in Mumbai too, all the TAB Cabs are Etios. And TAB Cabs is expanding day and night, so more Etios expected to be in sight.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:08   #800
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
Though Dzire is out of contest, due to Maruti's service coverage, it would still rule in tier-2/tier-3 cities and rural markets.
While I agree to all other points regarding Amaze killing City, the last one point is debatable. Are you saying that DZire is throne out of competition and Amaze will rule tier-I cities? Though Amaze will give a tough fight to DZire, it is very difficult to dethrone DZire as the the largest selling sedan in India, even in tier-I cities, IMO. Once the Honda production constraints are over, I expect DZire : Amaze monthly sales at 14K : 8K. Let us wait and see!
Old 26th April 2013, 09:13   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

While I agree to all other points regarding Amaze killing City, the last one point is debatable. Are you saying that DZire is throne out of competition and Amaze will rule tier-I cities? Though Amaze will give a tough fight to DZire, it is very difficult to dethrone DZire as the the largest selling sedan in India, even in tier-I cities, IMO. Once the Honda production constraints are over, I expect DZire : Amaze monthly sales at 14K : 8K. Let us wait and see!
Agree somewhat to the sales figure.
But with regards to tier 1 city, amaze should definitely dethrone the dzire. I'm yet to find a single reason to buy a Dzire over the amaze except for how the dash looks ( especially on tier 1 city )
Old 26th April 2013, 09:43   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
You have already said it! It's debatable.
Probably I might be wrong if I put a blanket statement like this: "I don't see a reason why anybody would buy a Dzire instead of Amaze?" There are some strange weird reasons for many of us while choosing a car.
To me, beyond Maruti's service network, I don't see anything attractive with respect to Dzire and that's a big point though. Whether its power or feature list Amaze wins. Yes, on Vx end, AC may be better in Dzire, but that's not a strong point for me to consider Dzire over Amaze. I m yet to find strong advantages of Dzire over Amaze, except the Maruti service network.
The sales ratio that you are mentioning could be mainly due to sales from tier 2/3 cities and latest taxi versions.
Any day, its almost impossible to beat Maruti in Sales figures below C segment for various reasons. As the segment goes higher, unfortunately Maruti vanishes from the competition. Dzire enjoyed its sales figures due to lack of strong competition. Today, I have a choice in this segment and strong one. I know of at least 4 folks who have sold/selling their swift (one of them is Dzire too!) and upgrading to Amaze, instead of Dzire. Probably, we will have to wait and see how sales figures shape up for Amaze against Dzire in Tier-I cities. This would be very interesting statistics to look for in the year ahead.
ssbshankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 10:40   #803
BHPian

Autocar show yesterday did a comparison test of Dzire v Amaze. Amaze won hands down.
Amaze was half second faster in 0-100 sprint and took almost 3 secs less to reach 140
Also fuel economy figures (as expected) were better than Dzire. The only two things that went for the Dzire were the interiors and engine refinement
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 10:50   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Autocar show yesterday did a comparison test of Dzire v Amaze. Amaze won hands down.
Amaze was half second faster in 0-100 sprint and took almost 3 secs less to reach 140
Also fuel economy figures (as expected) were better than Dzire. The only two things that went for the Dzire were the interiors and engine refinement
This is something as expected. Isnt it ?

What about the fuel economy figures ? By what margin is Amaze better
Old 26th April 2013, 10:56   #805
Senior - BHPian

I checked out Amaze yesterday. Overall, I am impressed with the car. I could not take a test drive because of heavy traffic just outside Whitefield Honda.

Positives:
Space available for a sub 4m car is terrific. Even with the seat adjusted for my height (6' 2") there was ample space at the back. Boot space is good too. Honda engineers deserve a standing ovation for this.
S variant is value for money.
Seat height adjustment range. Good under thigh support too.
It looks good. It does not look like a grown up Brio, which is the case with Dzire.
Claimed performance and fuel efficiency.

Negatives:
Dashboard looks ordinary for the segment.
Interior quality is basic.
No slot for CD player, just USB. That is a basic requirement to miss.
One piece front seats. It does not look good or feel comfortable.
Though dead pedal is missed, there is space next to clutch to rest the foot.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:04   #806
BANNED

@PatienceWins; I do not think I have used the CD in my Civic (which has both) even once in the almost three years I have had it. Much better to download the MP3 on my Pen Drive.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:04   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
This is something as expected. Isnt it ?

What about the fuel economy figures ? By what margin is Amaze better
Dont remember the exact figures but Amaze was around 1-1.5 kpl ahead of Dzire
It was like 20 something for the amaze on the highways
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:38   #808
BHPian

Saw an Amaze yesterday while driving. pulled up parallel to it just to peek in.
the car look real good, but somehow the boot metal seemed to flimsy. the car was going over a pot hole and somehow it seemed to shudder all over!!
Old 26th April 2013, 12:19   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@PatienceWins; I do not think I have used the CD in my Civic (which has both) even once in the almost three years I have had it. Much better to download the MP3 on my Pen Drive.
I buy CD and use my old collection of CD when I go for long drives in addition to using mp3 on pen drive. The audio quality with original CD cannot be matched by mp3. As you say, it may not matter for majority with mp3 on pen drives. Anyway, it is something which can managed and not a deal breaker.
Old 26th April 2013, 20:47   #810
BHPian

Very Good review. I feel lesser photos and link to some gallery for additional photos, would have helped people to find the info they want quicker. A bit of sectioning would have helped, again in getting the info that people want. For example, I was looking for the car's ride quality and it took a bit of time to find that in the midst of photos without proper sectioning.

OK, now on the car - to me it looks ugly. Compared to DZire, its better. Sorry DZire owners, its just my taste. Looking at it, as a car from the Honda stable, I am very much disappointed. When they produce such cars under the tag, "Made for India", I feel a bit humiliated. When the diesel engine certainly thrills me with its power and performance, the box fails to impress me by any means. The dashboard is awful. Front seats look ugly, though the back seats look better. Steering looks excellent and from the review understand that its good to hold, but not that precise. Very good city manners and easy driveability with good fuel economy will make this car a hit. However heard from my colleague who had booked an Amaze that due to some issue in paper work cars are yet to be delivered out of the factory. Is that true?

Most Viewed