Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:58   #106
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Thanks GTO, for another superb review.

This is the first car that can give a tough competition to DZire. Another one may be an i20 based sub-4m sedan, if it comes to India.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd April 2013 at 17:07. Reason: Please don't quote a post in its entirety. It makes things difficult for our small screen users
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:04   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Tweet from Top Gear India...
Quote:
Honda Amaze to launch on 11th April, pricing could under-cut Swift DZire, hints Honda top management...
Excerpt from their article
Quote:
...Bookings for the car have opened and it will be officially launched on April 11. Honda management also hinted that the car could just undercut the DZire’s pricing to gain traction in the first few days of its launch.
Full Details: http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...pril/itemid-50

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd April 2013 at 17:05.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:14   #108
BHPian

Since Brio is a cheaper car as compared to Swift (~50k difference between the 2), for sure, the Amaze iVTEC V-MT, being less equipped than the DZire ZXI, should be substantially cheaper.

When we come to the Diesel variants though, the difference between Swift DZire ZXI and ZDI is about 1.4lac. Adding the 50k difference as shown above, Honda has a good 1.9 lac pricing gap. Since they developed the engine themselves i.e. there are no royalties involved, they can easily price the AMAZE iDTEC V-MT ~30-50k LESS than DZIRE ZDI.

Even if both are priced at par, what the buyer gets when opting for the Amaze is a substantially more powerful car (30% more!!) than the DZire which also returns slightly more kmpl.

Pricing the Amaze iDTEC somewhat lower than DZire D shouldn't be too hard a job considering how Chevy could match the DZire on price with their Sail Sedan even though it was NOT under 4-meters in length.
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:48   #109
BHPian

Your logic in the arguement is irrefutable, but somehow I feel this is not how Honda will look at it. It would be priced higher than Dzire, yet it will be a good buy, considering the additional space, bigger boot, better looks and a much better engine.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:24   #110
BHPian

Wonderful Review. This has to be one of the best & most detailed official review. 5 stars indeed.

I personally liked the pearl red color. I would have bought Brio in the same color if it was available back then.

Waiting for a Dzire Vs Amaze Vs Sail showdown.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:36   #111
BHPian

Honda Amaze: Bookings now Open!!!

http://www.hondacarindia.com/
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to sit in the Amaze S MT (P) . NO AIRBAGS . Quite disappointed !! Dealers say only V and VX variants will have Airbags standard.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:12   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Had a chance to sit in the Amaze S MT (P) . NO AIRBAGS . Quite disappointed !! Dealers say only V and VX variants will have Airbags standard.
They have ABS in all variants. Airbags in the top 2 variants is very good none the less.

Maruti don't offer Airbags or ABS on any variant except the top end Z variants. Toyota only have it for the top end V variant now that too optional.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:28   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Maruti don't offer Airbags or ABS on any variant except the top end Z variants. Toyota only have it for the top end V variant now that too optional.
A small correction - Toyota offer ABS/Airbag as optional on the mid G variant as well.
jaibir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have ABS in all variants. Airbags in the top 2 variants is very good none the less.

The reason i was disappointed was that Brio comes with Airbags as Optional in S variant. That doesnt seem to be there in Amaze. I know the competition doesnt have airbags in base versions or middle versions , i expected Honda to take advantage of that and make it standard.
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:26   #116
BHPian

As always a 5* review by GTO.

As a current Brio owner the lack of MID and the spartan dashboard are not my concerns (even in the Brio fan club on FB) hardly anyone bothers about it. Primarily because the home territory of the car is within city limits, where these things don't matter as much as the space and ease of driving do.

I feel Honda has done it market research spot-on, and people will prefer the H badge on the grill for the sheer snob value to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
The reason i was disappointed was that Brio comes with Airbags as Optional in S variant. That doesnt seem to be there in Amaze. I know the competition doesnt have airbags in base versions or middle versions , i expected Honda to take advantage of that and make it standard.
You never know Honda. They may launch a S(O) variant mid way.

btw: What is PGM-FI doing in a diesel engine ??
Attached Images

Last edited by adityasiera : 2nd April 2013 at 20:37.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:34   #117
Senior - BHPian

I like what I hear about the Amaze. What interests me most is the engine which given that this is an entry level sedan is absolutely stonking. I will buy this over the Dzire on engine specs alone.

Great review again.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:49   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
A small correction - Toyota offer ABS/Airbag as optional on the mid G variant as well.
Man, your right. Toyota are going backwards when it comes to safety. Earlier V and VX both had ABS and airbags standard and G had optional. Now they don't have VX and V has the safety kit but it is optional!! So both G and V have abs/airbags as optional. Pretty silly.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:18   #119
BHPian

Super amazing review GTO! Absolutely sumptuous and the fast-action motion pictures shots look PR material! The car looks awesome, but interiors esp. the dashboard and centre console could've looked more premium. I hope the cost advantage of sharing it with Brio would be passed on as a sumptuous price. Dealers are having no clue to pricing, but are happily expecting 10k to 25k more than DZire. I personally see it to demolishing DZire if priced lower by just a few thousands!

Also I have the same rumour from dealer as someone else quoted... ABS & EBD is standard in Diesel lineup only. Not airbags.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:34   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Man, your right. Toyota are going backwards when it comes to safety. Earlier V and VX both had ABS and airbags standard and G had optional. Now they don't have VX and V has the safety kit but it is optional!! So both G and V have abs/airbags as optional. Pretty silly.
I don't understand what is silly about this. Making it optional only increases the flexibility. Not everyone going for the higher variants necessarily wants ABS and airbags.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed