Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 17:53   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Just saw that the news. Karnataka Govt. 2016 budget is removing taxes on electric vehicles in Karnataka. Not sure which taxes are removed, but surely this will reduce the cost of E2O & perhaps Maruti hybrids.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:47   #407
s10
BHPian

Has there been any price reductions in E20 in NCR region? Somebody in office was telling about recent 40% subsidy for electric vehicles!
Old 7th April 2016, 23:38   #408
BHPian

Mahindra Reva e2o : The turnaround stratergy

Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review-reva.jpg

Frustrated with incremental growth in India due to the absence of clear policy road map and lethargic attitude from the government, Mahindra Reva is now looking at the UK market for a brighter future. Really a sad situation in a country where diesels, current account deficit, cleaner fuels are the hot topics grabbing headlines.

The drastic measures taken by the management for ensuring success includes complete digitisation of the dealership (A Tesla model?) and service structure for their wholly owned subsidiary Mahindra International UK . All the interactions with the prospective as well as current customers will be through website and mobile app. The cash burning company expects to break even in 3 years on successful UK entry. A 400 million pound electric car grant,waiving of congestion/parking charges for electric vehicles, healthy growth of electric car registrations and their infrastructure are the reasons for choosing this market. Infact this is a return for the manufacturer after the G-Wiz, which without any major competition was the top selling electric car of Britain for several years. But this time around Mahindra is going to face some stiff competition from Nissan and Tesla.

Source

Last edited by johannskaria : 7th April 2016 at 23:39.
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 15:10   #409
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra has launched the e2o electric car in the UK. The car is available in two variants - e2o City, priced at £ 12,995 (Rs. 12.26 lakh) and e2o TechX, priced at £ 15,995 (Rs. 15.09 lakh).

Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review-img_9394.jpg

The e20 comes with a 72V powertrain with a 13.9 kWh maintenance-free 69 cell lithium-ion battery pack. It has a claimed range of 79 miles (127 km) and a top speed of 63 mph (101 kph).

Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review-tech_x_frame_0006_fin3b.jpg

The e2o is equipped with features such as a starter button, boost mode, tyre pressure management system, daytime running lights, fog lights, power windows (front) and electrically adjustable mirrors. It also comes with a regenerative braking system (RBS) that harnesses energy during braking. Safety features include dual airbags, anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC).

Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review-tech_x_frame_0000_fin3r.jpg

The TechX variant comes with alloy wheels, rear windscreen wiper and washer, a Blaupunkt 6.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth, USB and SD Card connectivity, Wi-Fi hotspot, navigation, reversing camera, telematics, controls on the steering wheel for the infotainment system, e2o Remote smartphone app, Remote Charging Scheduler app, Revive remote emergency recharging, leather seats, air-conditioning, speed limiter and a rapid charging port (50kW DC).

The e2o is available for purchase at www.mahindrauk.com. Customers can book test drives online in London, Birmingham, Bristol and Milton Keynes, with additional test drive cities to be announced later. Deliveries will commence in May 2016.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 20:09   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mahindra has launched the e2o electric car in the UK.
Mahindra also claims that this is the same build that we get in India too. I wonder how true is that. Even if the build quality is same, they would have definitely improved the interiors in the UK car.

In other news, Mahindra Electric is no longer offering the GFHE scheme where the battery can be leased for a period of 5 years. Got to know about this from one of the Mahindra Electric's sales person. Reasons sited are recovering the EMIs has turned out to be difficult for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Just saw that the news. Karnataka Govt. 2016 budget is removing taxes on electric vehicles in Karnataka. Not sure which taxes are removed, but surely this will reduce the cost of E2O & perhaps Maruti hybrids.
Indeed. Karnataka Govt has waived off the Road Tax component (It was 4% before) and now the onroad price in Bangalore for the car is ~ 7L.
Old 19th April 2016, 00:21   #411
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2016 at 17:41.
invidious is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:28   #412
BHPian

I just checked the OTR price of E2O in Bangalore. It shows Rs 7.02Lakhs, after the govt. subsidy!

Strange pricing. From the time I bought this car (when subsidy wasn't available) and Karnataka govt waived taxes, the price has only come down by about Rs.60,000/-

Doesn't make sense when the FAME subsidy alone is 1.24Lakh and I think atleast another Rs20,000 would be saved in local taxes.

No new taxes have become applicable to EVs in past year. Internationally battery prices went down by 35%. So, I am unable to understand this pricing at all...

Anyone here understand what is going on?
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:54   #413
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked the OTR price of E2O in Bangalore. It shows Rs 7.02Lakhs, after the govt. subsidy!

Strange pricing. From the time I bought this car (when subsidy wasn't available) and Karnataka govt waived taxes, the price has only come down by about Rs.60,000/-

Doesn't make sense when the FAME subsidy alone is 1.24Lakh and I think atleast another Rs20,000 would be saved in local taxes.

No new taxes have become applicable to EVs in past year. Internationally battery prices went down by 35%. So, I am unable to understand this pricing at all...

I checked up on carwale and its less than what you see.

http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation...68&t=263578268

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:00   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I checked up on carwale and its less than what you see.

http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation...68&t=263578268

Prem.
hmm..

The Mahindra Reva site showed Rs 7.02Lakhs OTR. Wonder if Carwale got it wrong or missed a more recent price hike by Reva?

Or perhaps, as usual, Mahindra Reava sticker price means nothing! Generous & opaque discounts bring down the sticker price.

Only a man who recently bought would be able to tell.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:10   #415
BHPian

Quote:
hmm..

The Mahindra Reva site showed Rs 7.02Lakhs OTR. Wonder if Carwale got it wrong or missed a more recent price hike by Reva?

Or perhaps, as usual, Mahindra Reava sticker price means nothing! Generous & opaque discounts bring down the sticker price.

Only a man who recently bought would be able to tell.
I remember seeing 7+L on Carwale and its reduced now. So, I think, Carwale reflects the right pricing.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:20   #416
BHPian

Quote:

What I don't understand is the pricing of the vehicle without the battery. Until recently, there was a battery lease option which reduced the ex Showroom price by ~1.8 lac if you agreed to pay a battery lease of 3k/month for 5 years (effectively making it 3k * 5years * 12months = 1.8lac instead of the same amount upfront)

Mahindra E2O has a 10KWh battery pack so they are effectively charging INR 18k/KWh which is not too bad at about $270/KWh (Tesla, given its much larger scale, operates at a cost of $190/KWh as of now)

The part that doesn't make sense is the rest of the car.

Ex Showroom Bangalore of the car excluding subsidies and the battery(explained above) is ~Rs.4.95 lac. For this price, there is no battery, no gearbox, no paint, plastic panels, no ABS/Airbags, power lower than a Tata Nano, overall size roughly equal to an Alto 800.

By comparison, Rs.4.95lac Ex Showroom Bangalore can also get you the following cars :
* Base Hyundai Grand i10 Petrol with 1 airbag
* Top model Tata Tiago XZ Petrol with ABS & 2 airbags
* Mahindra KUV100 K2+ Petrol with ABS & 2 airbags
* Maruti Celerio ZXI with 1 Airbag
* Ford Figo Petrol Ambiente with 2 Airbags

All these cars have gearboxes, a more complicated and possibly more expensive propulsion system, 60odd more horsepower, 2 more doors, steel panels and are all substantially larger.

As per Mahindra, the major cost is for the battery, but even if we don't consider the battery cost, the car makes very little sense today considering the fossil fuel powered competition.

EVs from other multinational companies (Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi, BMW, Tesla, etc.) gain about 8-10% range every year just from advancement in battery technology and increased battery power density. This increase in range comes at very little extra cost (if any). By comparison, the E2O has been stuck with its 100km range for over 3 years now instead of ~130km(and ~150km by next year) at the aforementioned range increase rate. They actually introduced this ~130km version in UK but it is nowhere to be seen in India. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out how much more sense an EV with a 130/150km range would make over one with just 100km of range.

For it to become a commercial success, what we need is a cost competitive vehicle, not an apology. Given the limitations in the current E2O, an apology is what an E2O feels like. M&M can probably build a much less apologetic hatchback (and get much better sales numbers) if they just electrify the KUV instead. Here's hoping that they built the KUV platform capable enough of accommodating an electric powertrain.

Last edited by antz.bin : 4th May 2016 at 00:23.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 07:23   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

The part that doesn't make sense is the rest of the car.

Ex Showroom Bangalore of the car excluding subsidies and the battery(explained above) is ~Rs.4.95 lac. For this price, there is no battery, no gearbox, no paint, plastic panels, no ABS/Airbags, power lower than a Tata Nano, overall size roughly equal to an Alto 800.
I had gone through similar study couple of years back and came up with this broad conclusion.

1. Battery price is only about 1/3rd of the car.
2. Battery Management system + Electronics + Motor is another 1/3rd
3. Rest of car is 1/3rd.

So, I agree. If the cost of Battery is only 1.8L then the right price for the car should be at least a lakh less.

Having said this - with all its drawbacks, E2O has become my favorite drive. Hate taking any other vehicle around in Bangalore. The only thing that may make transport easier - self drive or a driver.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:24   #418
BHPian

I had a test drive of the e2o today morning. Considering this for wife, but I will also be using frequently. So wanted a car that satisfies both of us.

The car feels better than I expected. Decent enough steering feel and brake. In the boost mode, engine feels powerful and refined. AC blower was a bit noisy, but cooling was adequate again.

Space is adequate for 2 people for the regular office commute and run around in the city.

Overall all I can't complain about anything except the pricing.

Now couple of surprises. The sales guy says there is only one variant in the market, which is T2. The other variant T0 that we see in carwale or other websites are the older gen which not selling currently.

The biggest surprise came when the sales guy said the HU is not part of the standard equipment. I have to shed another 25000 for this unit. So that is 7L onroad plus 25000. His justification was they wanted to bring down the onroad cost and given preference to user if they really needed their HU or an after market.

We haven't discussed the discounts. He promised he can worked out some if I book it in a week. I got a sense it may be in the range of 25000.

I asked him about carwale and other website showing much lesser onroad price for the T2 variant including the HU. His statement was, unlike other cars the e2o prices are not regularly updated by car websites, so they are wrong. That sounded fishy and lack of transparency. Basically they can put a price tag at their will.

Anyone here has an idea about the latest pricing model and clarity about the HU mystery?

My wife has complains about steering tilt adjustment and seat height adjustment not available. May not be a deal breaker, but the cost cutting is evident on a rather expensive car!

Will I buy this car? May be at 1L less.

Considering Celerio AMT as an alternative. Yet to test drive though. I am done with Baleno, Jazz and Figo. I liked all of them, but my wife wants a smaller and less expensive car at purchase and use.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 16:49   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I had a test drive of the e2o today morning. Considering this for wife, but I will also be using frequently. So wanted a car that satisfies both of us.

Will I buy this car? May be at 1L less.

Considering Celerio AMT as an alternative. Yet to test drive though. I am done with Baleno, Jazz and Figo. I liked all of them, but my wife wants a smaller and less expensive car at purchase and use.
SJ
Appreciate you are open enough to TD the e2O unlike most others who just complains about what e2O has to offer

I had an e2O for about 13 months and sold it off last September. The reason was all personal, nothing wrong with the vehicle. I still recommend e2O to many in my office if looking for a second car and the requirements should be Home-Office, Groceries, School drop-pickup service, etc ... Occasional family outing as long as its within the range of e2O.

Pricing question :
With which dealer are you in touch with ? 7L pricing may be the list price, but I am sure they would be running some offer to bring it down close to 5L.
Reason being, when I sold my e2O last September, T2 was retailing @ 7L including battery cost, but available for 4.75L [battery EMI] for immediate delivery due to some subsidy and additional discount by M&M, etc ...

e2O pricing works well with "bargaining". If you need, I can share my contact from Reva showroom, direct dealer from M&M.

Alternative :
If you are looking for an alternative with that dimension for your wife, the best that would match e2O size and with better usability would Tata Nano AMT. Its just an amazing vehicle for city drive. Nothing can beat Nano AMT for its pricing and its utility factor.
If Nano AMT was launched when I bought e2O, I would have definitely bought Nano AMT and would NOT have sold it off in 13 months of usage :(

Go for a Nano AMT TD with open mind and be closed for others' inputs about Tata

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 9th June 2016 at 16:51.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 18:36   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
SJ

I had an e2O for about 13 months and sold it off last September.
Prem.
Hi,

A bit off topic and out of curiosity, If you don't mind sharing , would like to know, how do you dispose off a car like E2O in the 2nd hand market ? Are there takers for it ? What is the resale value ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks