Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny CVT (Automatic) : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Dzire, I left it out cause it's not really a proper sedan in my opinion. I was talking of full size sedans.
That would be my first thought as well but after a while it struck me that the Dzire interior is actually plusher than either the SX4 or the Sunny. Must be the beige+wood combo.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

OT- what is the production cost of a CVT versus a manual transmission? I have done search on the net but could not get any price estimate of say (all for low torque applications say less than 250) - so that it can be used in diesel motors too.

- Manual Transmission
- Generic Autobox (the one which is used in A-star, i-10 etc)
- DSG (Dry clutch type)
- CVT (Belt or metal chain)

Any ideas please !
Old 29th December 2013, 22:38   #18

I booked the Sunny CVT yesterday. Will be getting the 2014 model (delivery mostly by end-Jan'14), as 2013 is no longer available in Bangalore according to the dealer Shahwar Nissan (Queen's Road). Price rise of INR 15,000 expected on Ex-Showroom price, with OTR Price expected to touch INR 11 Lakh (without dealer discounts, offers etc) from the erstwhile INR 10.73 Lakh. This is a relatively small price to pay for a year on the RC book. Also the dealer said (not sure how far it is true) that CVT is their top selling model. He said Nissan did not offer any discounts on CVT. Also, if his claim is indeed true; I am yet to see a CVT on Bangalore roads because I have only seen diesel (Puredrive dCI) versions of XV and XL.

I test drove the CVT a few times in the last one month, and I felt it is quite a competent car for in-city driving. My other choices were Vento (lesser legroom, comparatively and all AT models sold out. Plus parts cost a bomb), XUV 500 (a tad bit costly, and no AT). Being 6'2", the Sunny surely won it for me. I will update (or start a new thread) with post-delivery and driving review.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How much does Nissan charge for the 4 year warranty?
Around INR 7,000 in Bangalore, but you can negotiate with dealer.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th December 2013 at 10:00. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 30th December 2013, 09:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBanerjee View Post
Around INR 7,000 in Bangalore, but you can negotiate with dealer.
Congrats.

Why did you not consider the upcoming new city CVT?

Sunny will def start giving discounts once the new city is launched
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 09:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Congrats.

Why did you not consider the upcoming new city CVT?

Sunny will def start giving discounts once the new city is launched
Yes, I negotiated based on City's release.

Didn't go for City CVT due to (a) Long wait period (b) comparatively lesser legroom (c) Family liked the Sunny more than City (they checked the 3rd Gen, which is only aesthetically different from the new one)

Personally I like the City brand better, and many of my friends suggested it. Somehow I felt at home with the Sunny.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I negotiated based on City's release.

Didn't go for City CVT due to (a) Long wait period (b) comparatively lesser legroom (c) Family liked the Sunny more than City (they checked the 3rd Gen, which is only aesthetically different from the new one)

Personally I like the City brand better, and many of my friends suggested it. Somehow I felt at home with the Sunny.
Congratulations to you! Good choice. Actually before purchasing our 2012 ANHC V MT, I also took a test drive of the Sunny. Amazing space! Of course the Nissan brand is also a good Japanese brand just like a Toyota & Honda. They have good engines too!

Looks like Nissan is committed to opening up more outlets, so that is really good. The new Nissan Terrano will also push Nissan brand further.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:55   #22
BHPian

Thanks as always -The most knowledgeable BHPians!

I test drove the CVT XL -and found it quite adequate (acceleration+ease of driving in traffic)-even for occasional need to get ahead of cabs ...

I am essentially considering it for my office commute(from Hennur Main road to Elec city ! ) a one way distance of 30 kms through possibly most crowded signals(Silk board,KR Puram ) and roads(Inner ring road,hosur road) in Bangalore!

Currently I have an innova(I love my left knee that I need to preserve for alteast 20 years more!) that i will retain for High way duties

I liked the Sunny CVT mainly because

1.I am 6.1 and dont need to crawl in and out of the car (like I have to in my friend's Honda City).It offers decent egress and ingress and a decent height on the seat

2.The rear seat space-enough has been said

3.Price -I got an offer for 10.3 on Road ! that is a killer ,in my view

4.I dont care about public opinion (why would you spend a 10 lakh on a non diesel ugly car !?)

5.Can possibly use for shorter highway commutes(To Mysore,Chennai(!) )etc

6.Comes decently equipped

Now my question to the experts-Does CVT have known issues interms of life? I read some american reviews that talk about break downs in CVT under 50000 miles....(I dont change cars every 3 years..My Innova is 7 years and Wagon R that my wife uses is 10 years and both are well maintained)

Any one has ownership reviews /issues with the car in general or with CVT in particular?

Do I have other options that some one can advise me?(Not limited to Innova+Automatic) can even consider selling Innova and buying an allrounder(but not willing to spend more than 12 lakhs additionally tops-and in this option need a good 7-8 seater)

Thanks everyone.
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Thanks as always -The most knowledgeable BHPians!

I test drove the CVT XL -and found it quite adequate (acceleration+ease of driving in traffic)-even for occasional need to get ahead of cabs ...

I am essentially considering it for my office commute(from Hennur Main road to Elec city ! ) a one way distance of 30 kms through possibly most crowded signals(Silk board,KR Puram ) and roads(Inner ring road,hosur road) in Bangalore!

Currently I have an innova(I love my left knee that I need to preserve for alteast 20 years more!) that i will retain for High way duties

I liked the Sunny CVT mainly because

1.I am 6.1 and dont need to crawl in and out of the car (like I have to in my friend's Honda City).It offers decent egress and ingress and a decent height on the seat

2.The rear seat space-enough has been said

3.Price -I got an offer for 10.3 on Road ! that is a killer ,in my view

4.I dont care about public opinion (why would you spend a 10 lakh on a non diesel ugly car !?)

5.Can possibly use for shorter highway commutes(To Mysore,Chennai(!) )etc

6.Comes decently equipped

Now my question to the experts-Does CVT have known issues interms of life? I read some american reviews that talk about break downs in CVT under 50000 miles....(I dont change cars every 3 years..My Innova is 7 years and Wagon R that my wife uses is 10 years and both are well maintained)

Any one has ownership reviews /issues with the car in general or with CVT in particular?

Do I have other options that some one can advise me?(Not limited to Innova+Automatic) can even consider selling Innova and buying an allrounder(but not willing to spend more than 12 lakhs additionally tops-and in this option need a good 7-8 seater)

Thanks everyone.
Seems like a decent buy considering the space it has. I just bought an ecosport automatic for the simple reason that it has good ground clearance and is a comfortable car. a 6'3 person could easily sit in the rear seat and the seating is upright and really comfortable surprisingly especially the ingress and exit. I took it on a highway drive to sariska from delhi and even on a hilly drive. The 101 horses seem to be adequate though not lavishly so. At certain times you would want more. But the car makes up by having a triptronic where you can use the gears to your command.Its a safe car with 6 airbags and the bells and whistles. It is really comfortable to drive in most terrains and swallowed up really bad roads.Do try it as it has a dsg gearbox. The other option you have is a vento tsi which you might have driven. The ecosport gave a mixed efficiency of 11 plus kmpl and we are under 1000 kms so it might increase. Truly there is a dearth of auto boxes here in india. You might also want to check out the latest tata zest which is India's 1st desiel autogear south of 15 lakhs.
Old 5th March 2014, 20:57   #24
BHPian

Thanks Sunny1974 and all

update :booked a Scala RXZ top end for an effective on road price of 10.74. Blown away by the design cues and the resulting premium feel.
Initially put off by the price but at this price a much better deal than sunny as additionally I get 15" alloys,electrically folding mirrors,leatherette seats ,appealing instrument cluster and a seriously better treatment and experience at Renault Sadhashiv Nagar. White colour,will post soon further developments.
Old 16th March 2014, 22:06   #25
BHPian

Took delivery of CVT RXZ Scala this Friday,as promised by Palace orchards Nissan.Had a good experience with the delivery process paper work etc.

The car is literally a toy if you were driving an Innova for 7 years !

Very decent experience in city driving conditions so far,decent acceleration just enough for city driving conditions,airy cabins with good visibility all round,feels a lil like a stiff ride ...averaging about 12 kmpl so far over 160 kms

The biggest difference I found was actually not in the car itself but how others perceive you on the road...auto drivers dont care at all while Innova commanded respect here :(

Will update with more experience next week end \.
Old 26th March 2014, 10:12   #26

Took delivery of Bronze Grey XL CVT on 12/2/2014. I have driven around 1300Kms till date. First service was done at around 834Kms (i.e., 1 month service). Average mileage till then was around 11.4kmpl, with 70% city and 30% highway driving with 100% AC usage. I opted for the puncture safe tire gel (set me back by Rs2,700+Tax). Next service is in August (6 months). I had a problem with the 12V charger, reason was a blown fuse which was replaced under warranty. Parking lamp was replaced (not sure why!), and I was charged for it (Rs 38), apparently "wear and tear" items are not under warranty (not sure how parking lamp comes under wear and tear category!).

Service staff (at their Nandi Durga road service station, Bangalore) were very courteous, and prompt. I did not have to wait more than 10 minutes despite large customer traffic. I went to the floor (which had mainly Bronze Grey -- a very popular colour -- Sunnys, and there were a few Micras. There was one black Teana and a white X-Trail). The car was set up on a ramp and inspected by service engineer, customer care and me. I took the car back the next day, as I had given it for service after 5 pm (otherwise, 60 minutes is their xpress delivery service time). The car was cleaned well and I was satisfied with the overall experience. I think Nissan has taken the negative feedback quite proactively and have taken steps to improve their A.S.S.C.'s quality. I had read (probably in this very thread) that they had cut ties with Hover Automotives (confirmed this to be true, with the A.S.S.C. staff).

Post service, the NVH levels have reduced (I am guessing due to the puncture safe gel, which is said to reduce tire heat and noise as well). Average mileage as of today is 12.3kmpl.

I can say, in the past 1.5 months the CVT has served me quite well, and the drive through Bangalore roads is effortless thanks to the auto-transmission. The mileage is expected to increase after 2nd/3rd service, and I am happy with a sedan which gives 12-13kmpl in the first few months. My friend who bought a Verna petrol (MT) on the same day, gets around 8kmpl! I think AT/CVT/AMT acceptance will pick up, with the success of 2014 City, and Celerio and rising traffic on roads.

The pick up was sluggish initially and I did not want to rev beyond 1500RPM, until 2 weeks after service when the acceleration became seamless, and overtaking was effortless (all within 1800RPM).

The space is world-class, rather class-defining! I am around 6'3" and with the driver seat pulled almost back, there is enough space for a person of similar height to sit comfortably at the back! Much has been spoken about the boot space as well.

I am really happy with the Caaar! I sometimes rue the fact that the instrument level is not at the same class as Verna or City, but the ride quality (excellent ground clearance) and space, and CVT's smoothness make up for it.

Till date I have not accessorized my car majorly. The only things I bought are: a FM Modulator (so no need to upgrade to a 2 din USB system), Anti-slip phone holder (Good for using phone as GPS without putting an extra phone holder), and a handheld vacuum cleaner. I will be slowly accessorizing the car with seat covers and side beading (to avoid door scratches while opening the doors, I am a big guy remember!)

Look forward to other owner views on the CVT!
Old 11th April 2014, 10:05   #27
BHPian

It is now almost a month and 1100 kms on the ODO(Pl note this is Scala CVT ,as I started with Nissan and then moved to Scala ...I am continuing to post here)

Positioning

I just love the fact that there are no Scala Taxi's and for some reason very few scala cars on the road ,possibly due to the List prices where in almost a 1.5 lakh price differential exists.But Do not go by the list price ,you talk to the dealer and you will realize that for an additional 40 k(effective) you will get alloys,fine view Dials electrically folding mirrors,art leather upholstery etc.

So to me personally Scala CVT feels very exclusive and I love that.
The white car looks very plush and premium and some of my friends have admitted that it looks like a more expensive car

Mileage

Over all average is 12.3 km/litre over the 1000 kms drive so far.This includes majority drive from Hennur Main Road to Elec City daily and few weekend commutes(basically a Joy Ride in the new car for kids parents etc)and one airport drop.Only office commute clocks in 13.4 km/litre,as I leave early both ways which makes it a reasonably clean drive.
From my stand point the operating expenses are almost the same as Innova that I was using that gives 10.5 km/ litre. This also includes an early mileage of 10 for the first 300 kms where in I was struggling to get used to the CVT

Acceleration and Braking

It does the City commute admirably well,enough acceleration for all the needs.The pedal tapping ,however requires considerable amount of getting used to.I have learnt the hard way it accelerates better and predictable when there is a gentle push,but if you push the pedal harder it does some inexplicable things.The RPM shoots up the car accelerates and when you release the pedal it often times decelerates almost giving you a wrong down shift feeling,but stabilizes in a few seconds.

The brake pedal feels very odd,though the braking perse is not all that bad.There is some amount of feedback on the pedal all the time when driving in the city in tandem with the Engine RPM (I Think).I was told this is normal

Ride,Handling and Speed Breakers

Very predictable and a bit stiff(for a sedan).No complaints and no surprises.Hence so far I have not had a single under body scraping exp despite some horrible speed breakers on full load.

My car came with JK Ultra tyres -they make awful road noise at speeds over 80 km/hr. Decided to live with them as I dont want to spend additional 20 k on new ones.Have filled in Nitrogen and some anti puncture fluid that seems to have marginally helped,but may be a perception!

The car feels very smooth and steady at 100-110 kms/hr and you dont get the feeling you are pushing the car at all ..even at that speed the Engine still revs just over 2K which I think is very good.

Coming from Innova,I am still getting used to the over all visibility in particular with left side gap perception and reversing(despite having a Reverse Camera)
But that is just me I think.

I am 6'1" and am quite comfortable both on the drivers seat as well as the rear with oodles of leg room(Long drives may strain a bit due to less under thigh support).Shoulder room is bit of an issue(coming from Innova) with occasional brushing of the shoulders literally with co passengers

Steering is ultra light and feels like a toy there by making me a lil insecure on high speeds.

Bottom line

I am starting to feel I have taken good decision to buy this car exclusively for in City use as all long drive duties will be done by the Innova.

I let me better Half drive,and she straight away liked it and got used to it quickly.So they can use it comfortably when needed

So as a ONLY CITY car ,one can bet big on this car and (Sunny CVT as well)..But many may ask why a sedan for a CITY use? car a smaller car can do the job like a Micra or a Polo AT.Yes that is correct,but in my books I dont want to drive a hatch back and for a small incremental price(~of 2.5 lakhs)you get a sedan with all the bells and whistles of much higher value.

I will update after a decent High way drive.

So expect only the expected you will not be disappointed! This is no road burner and head turner.A very convenient practical car.
Old 28th November 2016, 09:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Look forward to other owner views on the CVT!
I dont own a sunny but I drive the US version of the discontinued Teana, a 2015 Altima with the XTronic. So far, the CVT performs really well and its the best CVT there is out there. It's also one of the quietest and sport mode actually works( Mine is a 2.5L Gasoline engine though). The one trouble I have is on extremely cold winter mornings when the temperature is close to freezing, I hear a slight whine from the CVT. I've heard its a common problem with CVT's in the cold but I doubt anyone else experiences it unless you're living in Kashmir.
studentonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 08:29   #29
BHPian

So the sunny cvt is now available in the xv cvt (top end) trim at 9.5 lacs ex showroom Pune. They're also offering a lucrative finance option of 3.99% interest rate for 4 Years. Low EMI of Rs 12999 for 4 Years on Rs 5.78 . (source: http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=list&Itemid=9 )
Should the perspective now change since its now available in the top end and considering that the honda cvt top end goes to about 15.5 lacs onroad? The newly launched Toyota Yaris also sells their cvts at prices similar to the city.

Last edited by oli.ferns : 6th May 2018 at 08:30. Reason: added source links
Old 6th May 2018, 12:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
So the sunny cvt is now available in the xv cvt (top end) trim at 9.5 lacs ex showroom Pune. They're also offering a lucrative finance option of 3.99% interest rate for 4 Years. Low EMI of Rs 12999 for 4 Years on Rs 5.78 . (source: http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=list&Itemid=9 )
Should the perspective now change since its now available in the top end and considering that the honda cvt top end goes to about 15.5 lacs onroad? The newly launched Toyota Yaris also sells their cvts at prices similar to the city.
Would you want to be driven around in a car that is 7 years old, has dismal resale value and has fewer features than a grand i10 and extremely poor service support across India, if yes then this car can compete with honda city or Toyota Yaris.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks