Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2013, 00:46   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
What do you reckon is a fit replacement for these?
Even I want to know whats the correct upgrade size for the Polo 185/60 R15 tyres. Sorry if this is not the right thread but I could not find a thread for VW Polo tyre upgrade.

Incase we want to upsize to 16 inchers especially considering the power and mod potential of the GT Tsi, which is the correct size to go for 205/50 R16 or 195/55 R16. Not many options in 205 size, save the Yoko S.Drives/AR1's which are directional . Any decent asymmetrical tyres you guys know of which is available in India off the shelf?
Old 28th April 2013, 00:56   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I would not be so sure about that. As I understand it, failures happen due to excessive heat build up - which happens due to driving in intense traffic with high outside temperatures. I would have hardly ever taken my car above 2700 RPM - so I would have hit peak torque but not peak power ever.
It will be interesting to note the reliability of the car and its transmission over a substantial period of time. The Polo GT and the EcoSport are two cars that are on my list of probable replacement for my Santro. Not immediately, but in the months to come.

While several people crib that these launches have been (and still are) long overdue, but the timing couldn't be more perfect from my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Yes. The GT is a 1.4 TSI 140 bhp motor with turbo. Whereas, the GTI is a 1.4 TSI 180 bhp motor with twin charger ( Turbo+super charger).

The 1.2 TSI is a regular engine option along with 1.2 & 1.6 TDI.

The 0-100 kmph (0-62 mph) of 1.2 TSI is 9.7 sec while its 7.9 sec for GT and 6.9 sec for GTI.

Below is the screen shot from the VW UK site.
I guess the market dynamics are very different. They have every conceivable engine option including the 1.2 3-pot 77horsepower petrol mill.

Thanks for the screenshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'll give you few other examples -

SX4 with 205 section rubber.
T-Jet with 205 section rubber.
Punto with 195 section rubber.

But in the end, common man doesn't care. All he wants is for the car to have tyres. You'd be surprised how many Swift L/V variant owners are happy with those tiny tyres! People used to complain about low mileage in SX4 blaming the bigger tyres. Its only us enthusiasts who crib for such matters, and we form only a minute percentage of the overall market.

But the Polo TSi is supposed to be aimed at that small market share, and is not going to be an economical purchase anyways! Hence they should have addressed this defect before launch IMO.
You've got it bang on, CD.

They've tried to kill two birds with one stone.

While they're attempting to satisfy petrol heads, they understand that economy is a crucial factor, especially when it comes to petrol cars. It's a bit middle-of-the-road types, the Polo GT.
Old 28th April 2013, 01:19   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I guess the market dynamics are very different. They have every conceivable engine option including the 1.2 3-pot 77horsepower petrol mill.
Yes indeed. If you see, the polo GT 1.4 TSI in europe inspite of being 140 bhp has the least Co2 emissions and greatest mileage(21.7 kmpl combined), even better than the 1.2 TSI and the 1.2 3 pot motor. This called as Blue GT is exclusively for those enthusiasts who are also environmentally conscious!

I think the market is mature enough to have different models for every conceivable target group.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 01:34   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I think the market is mature enough to have different models for every conceivable target group.
Technically from VW point of view it isn't yet, they are not as profitable in India as they'd like to be, hence can't maintain a large protfolio of products, the way Maruti does. Their main profit is from exports out of India.

European market is a different story for them, they are like the Maruti out there, I gues they will emulate that success here eventually but it's going to be tough due to very low competitive pricing here.
Old 28th April 2013, 01:43   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes indeed. If you see, the polo GT 1.4 TSI in europe inspite of being 140 bhp has the least Co2 emissions and greatest mileage(21.7 kmpl combined), even better than the 1.2 TSI and the 1.2 3 pot motor. .
I believe that has more to do with the driving conditions here in India. The average speed of a car in a city like Bangalore is roughly 30 km/h. There is a lot of stopping and going. Energy lost on braking and more fuel burnt while accelerating. In Europe, the situation is much better unless you're in a crowded / congested part of a large city. You can maintain decent speeds for the most part.
Old 28th April 2013, 02:23   #141
BHPian

Excellent review.

Was disappointed to see the numbers posted on the "autocarindia" website.
They are claiming that this car sprints from 0 to 100 in 11.34 seconds , which by no means is slow but some how I feel is not worthy of a GT moniker.

Specially such hefty acronyms such as TSi , DSG & GT all used for the same car got my hopes really high.

Any reasons for such an appreciable difference between the timings posted on the UK website and the Autocar test results ?

Maybe because of the difference in octane ratings of the fuel used.
Old 28th April 2013, 06:48   #142
BHPian

Super review. 5 stars indeed.

I would love to buy this car. DSG does have some risks associated with it but provided they give 2 + 2 extended warranty we should be good. I simply love to hear how engine revvs up in one of the videos posted. I do miss this from my old petrol hatch.

Good move VW.
Old 28th April 2013, 07:10   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Had called up KSM motors for an appointment
Please be careful. I saw a notice in the papers a few days/weeks back, saying that KSM is no longer an approved VW dealer. The VW website also doesn't mention KSM in mumbai/vashi/thane anymore.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 09:19   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Even I want to know whats the correct upgrade size for the Polo 185/60 R15 tyres. Sorry if this is not the right thread but I could not find a thread for VW Polo tyre upgrade.

Incase we want to upsize to 16 inchers especially considering the power and mod potential of the GT Tsi, which is the correct size to go for 205/50 R16 or 195/55 R16. Not many options in 205 size, save the Yoko S.Drives/AR1's which are directional . Any decent asymmetrical tyres you guys know of which is available in India off the shelf?
205/50R16 from 185/60R15 has a circumference difference of +1.39%, whereas 195/50R16 has a circumference difference of -0.27%.

In 195/50R16, your best bet IMO (after some googling) is continental extremecontact dws 195/50R16. Check if we can get this in India. Other options are here - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...50&diameter=16
Old 28th April 2013, 09:54   #145
BHPian

Has anybody been able to book a test drive. Spoke to a SA in Abra motors and he says it would take atleast a Month for the TD vehicle to arrive. Also the prices speculated are too inconsistent. I heard that it would be around 10.7 lacs OTR Chennai. I have been hearing prices anywhere between 8+ lacs OTR to 10+ lacs. Hope things would be clear on the 29th.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Excellent review.

Was disappointed to see the numbers posted on the "autocarindia" website.
They are claiming that this car sprints from 0 to 100 in 11.34 seconds , which by no means is slow but some how I feel is not worthy of a GT moniker.

Specially such hefty acronyms such as TSi , DSG & GT all used for the same car got my hopes really high.

Any reasons for such an appreciable difference between the timings posted on the UK website and the Autocar test results ?

Maybe because of the difference in octane ratings of the fuel used.
Apart from what @akshay1234 has posted previously, i strongly suspect that the autocar people failed to switch off the ESP while trying the 0-100 drag racing. As i saw from one of the review of the UK Polo GT from the net, the reviewer complained that the ESP software intruded too much while trying to drive sportively and he even switched it off before clocking the 0-100 timings!
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 11:33   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Has anybody been able to book a test drive. Spoke to a SA in Abra motors and he says it would take atleast a Month for the TD vehicle to arrive. Also the prices speculated are too inconsistent. I heard that it would be around 10.7 lacs OTR Chennai. I have been hearing prices anywhere between 8+ lacs OTR to 10+ lacs. Hope things would be clear on the 29th.
There are still many rumors and speculations in the air, my sales guy told me that they hadn't received the official pricing sheet and test drive vehicle for the same, but somehow someone influential enough had pre-booked a model before hand and I it was out there, although with it's badges covered in tapes.

Today/tomorrow is the launch date, so they will get prices, TD to arrive by 2moro or day after.
He speculated 8 Lakh ex show-room delhi, ~9 Lakh OTR.

One thing is for sure, one should not expect any discounts whatsoever on this.

Last edited by envy : 28th April 2013 at 11:34.
Old 28th April 2013, 12:02   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
205/50R16 from 185/60R15 has a circumference difference of +1.39%, whereas 195/50R16 has a circumference difference of -0.27%.
Following is the list of suitable tyre upgrades. Any size with a difference within +/-2% is usually considered safe. 205/55-15 looks the best match with the same wheels. However if you are ready to change the wheels to 16 inchers then 215/45-16 looks to be the best bet. However I don't know if it would be too wide for the wheel well.
I have no idea about availability of these sizes in India and myself have fitted 195/60-15 for my highline.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-temp.jpg

Oh! and by the way, I had a quick chat with the sales manager at OSL Exclusive, Kolkata and according to him On Road Price at Kolkata should be around 8.2 (his personal view only). They have a test drive car available at the showroom and is ready to offer TD. No bookings will be accepted till they get the final price.

Last edited by sadnabrina : 28th April 2013 at 12:08. Reason: Added On Road Price
Old 28th April 2013, 12:14   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post

Following is the list of suitable tyre upgrades. Any size with a difference within +/-2% is usually considered safe. 205/55-15 looks the best match with the same wheels. However if you are ready to change the wheels to 16 inchers then 215/45-16 looks to be the best bet. However I don't know if it would be too wide for the wheel well.
I have no idea about availability of these sizes in India and myself have fitted 195/60-15 for my highline.
#Questionable reliability of the DSG.
#Dodgy VW ASS
#Supposed to be the costliest hatch

With so many risk factors, is it really advisable to upgrade size and jeopardise the warranty?
Is there any other option out, atleast a better 185/60 R 15 rubber?
Old 28th April 2013, 14:48   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post

There are still many rumors and speculations in the air, my sales guy told me that they hadn't received the official pricing sheet and test drive vehicle for the same, but somehow someone influential enough had pre-booked a model before hand and I it was out there, although with it's badges covered in tapes.
I heard 2 bookings have been made already in Chennai

Most Viewed