Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 17:24   #1636
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
But all is Forgiven & Forgotten once you Unleash those 104 German Stallions on the road !!
I wish I could say that. To be honest, I was scared to go too fast. I felt like I was driving the car with the type of limited visibility that most cars offer through the rear windshield! And given Punes' notoriety in driving on the wrong side, bikes and cycles coming out of nowhere, I just wasn't comfortable unleashing all the horses.

I also wonder whats going to happen in case of a collision? I really don't know if they airbag would be able to prevent my head from colliding on the edge of the glass/ roof.

I've driven short cars while I was in the US. But they all had seats where you literally sat on the floor and managed good visibility. Polo is just awkward - at least for me.

Last edited by torque!! : 4th June 2014 at 17:25. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 4th June 2014, 19:04   #1637
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Little birdie says Polo GT TDI will get 1.5L with DSG in Jan next year. First 100 units or so will be cbu with local assembly following in end Q1'15.

GT TSI to continue as is with only exterior changes in the facelift (read no paddleshift wheel) Infact GT TSI worldwide is sold without paddleshifters as its not considered a sporty hatch.

There is a SLIM chance that the new instrument cluster and Golf inspired steering might make it to our GTs. Economics being evaluated along with domestic sourcing options.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 22:37   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Little birdie says Polo GT TDI will get 1.5L with DSG in Jan next year. First 100 units or so will be cbu with local assembly following in end Q1'15.

GT TSI to continue as is with only exterior changes in the facelift (read no paddleshift wheel) Infact GT TSI worldwide is sold without paddleshifters as its not considered a sporty hatch.

There is a SLIM chance that the new instrument cluster and Golf inspired steering might make it to our GTs. Economics being evaluated along with domestic sourcing options.
I can almost bet that they will make changes to interiors as Honda City has upped the anty in this segment. A bumper job (given how minute it is) just simply won't cut it. A new stereo, steering are on the cards... you read it here first!
Old 4th June 2014, 22:46   #1639
BHPian

I dont think the honda city has done anything to this segment, except introduce a frugal underpowered diesel with honda reliability. Yes, that is good enough for people to flock enmass to the Honda stable, but then again that crowd isnt exactly the target audience for the GT TSI/TDI.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 22:48   #1640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I can almost bet that they will make changes to interiors as Honda City has upped the anty in this segment. A bumper job (given how minute it is) just simply won't cut it. A new stereo, steering are on the cards... you read it here first!
Yes It doesn't make any sense for VW to add new bumpers & call it facelift, everybody will do SHRUGS
New stereo & New steering wheel are good
Also expecting - New Instrument cluster & new center console though.
These changes will comes in all variant ?
Old 4th June 2014, 22:53   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
I dont think the honda city has done anything to this segment, except introduce a frugal underpowered diesel with honda reliability. Yes, that is good enough for people to flock enmass to the Honda stable, but then again that crowd isnt exactly the target audience for the GT TSI/TDI.
Honda City has definitely got class leading interiors in VX model and class loaded features. The engine/transmission options are a different issue.

For VW to bring a facelift with mere change of bumpers that is hard to notice, on cars that haven't been updated for almost 3-4 years is unthinkable. I understand that you have the older Polo, but a facelift is on the cards.

VW needs to satisfy classes but still have masses flock to it.... its no Audi that can do without volumes just by keeping high margins. Its in it, to win it!
Old 14th June 2014, 10:26   #1642

I apologize if this issue has already been discussed earlier but I could not find the discussion..

I was wondering if any of the present GT TSI owners have faced any issues with the DSG? I'm on the fence right now as to whether to buy the car.. My main concern stems from the issues that have cropped up (mainly I could find articles from Australia and the USA online) with respect to the DQ 200 gearbox..

Have any of the present owners faced any issues? I'm very very tempted to buy the car but this issue is holding me back.. Thanks for the help..
Old 14th June 2014, 11:44   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
I apologize if this issue has already been discussed earlier but I could not find the discussion..

I was wondering if any of the present GT TSI owners have faced any issues with the DSG? I'm on the fence right now as to whether to buy the car.. My main concern stems from the issues that have cropped up (mainly I could find articles from Australia and the USA online) with respect to the DQ 200 gearbox..

Have any of the present owners faced any issues? I'm very very tempted to buy the car but this issue is holding me back.. Thanks for the help..
Buy with warranty so you will be covered. Like the saying goes no pain no gain. So you would have to put yourself out there and take the plunge.
Old 14th June 2014, 12:57   #1644

Driven little over 16 k since October'13 and no issues yet.

The car is an absolute pleasure to drive and IMO the DSG is largely to be credited for the same.

As suggested, take the extended warranty if it helps soothe your anxieties and take the plunge.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:21   #1645
BHPian

12000kms of very spirited driving. No issues with dsg so far, touch wood.
Old 14th June 2014, 22:31   #1646

Thanks kamson and prithwi.. It is heartening to hear that.

Thanks aseem, Point well taken about the no pain no gain. But my concern stems from two factors.. One is the cost of replacement which like you suggested may be taken care of with the extended warranty. The second concern was of safety.. Read a couple of articles of the dangers of the DSG failing on the highway at high speeds. In fact the video below also talks about one such alleged incident in Australia..

But it looks like an incident a while ago..
Tjax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 11:19   #1647
VEA
BHPian

Driven 17k and over a year old. Has developed a judder/jerk when pulling away in second gear. It happens occasionally, perhaps once in a day and feels like the wheels are loose. Entire car shivers and is very irritating. Some internet research points to a common issue with all VW dry clutch dsgs, which doesn't seem to have a permenant cure. So didn't bother take the vehicle to the service centre to hear their usual BS. But will get it checked if it becomes frequent.
VEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 12:21   #1648
BHPian

Last week i went to the VW Metropolitan Service Centre in Delhi for the DSG Gearbox oil replacement. I was informed by the service adviser that they dont have any such information from VW regarding oil replacement. I told him to give it in writing that there is no such oil replacement program from VW. I ask to speak to the manager there who now informs me that they have been told by VW to replace the oil.
Now i leave the car at the workshop for the same. A few hours later i am informed that they dont have the requisite oil and it will take atleast 15-20 days to get the same.
Thats Volkswagen Service Centres for you..clueless....and simply not bothered.
Old 15th June 2014, 19:44   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Thanks kamson and prithwi.. It is heartening to hear that.

Thanks aseem, Point well taken about the no pain no gain. But my concern stems from two factors.. One is the cost of replacement which like you suggested may be taken care of with the extended warranty. The second concern was of safety.. Read a couple of articles of the dangers of the DSG failing on the highway at high speeds. In fact the video below also talks about one such alleged incident in Australia..

But it looks like an incident a while ago..
I had seen the video before. It follows the principles of "media sensationalism". I am sure there is some truth to the facts being highlighted however its been hyper bloated to look bigger & catastrophic then it is.

At the face of it, DSG is a fun transmission that is prone to have problems. These problems that are mechanical in nature would not be "proactively" fixed in India as there is no recall here by VW, but if they do arise, they would be reactively fixed under warranty after some hassle.

If you are prepared to go through that hassle to have the "pleasure" of driving a DSG then buy a Polo/Vento/Skoda to your heart's pleasure. But if you are not prepared to go through the hassle I would suggest please stay away.

The DSG is best enjoyed on empty stretches with less traffic in Sports mode or triptronic. In the D mode its geared towards efficiency and the car becomes notably sluggish unless you put a heavy fut.
Old 15th June 2014, 22:11   #1650
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Rulez View Post
I imported a MFSW with paddle shifters with airbag from Mexico, ordered it via EBAY. Cost me 450$+80$(shipping)=530$ plus customs duty. Got it fit from Authorized VW service center in Mumbai for 480 Rs. hope this information helps. cheers
hi leo, have to speak to you in regards to the steering wheel. pm to you is not going through. kindly send me a pm or reply here to further communicate.

thanks,

rana.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks