Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 11:17   #1741
BANNED

Update on left pulling.

as suggested by prithwi, i went to a tyre shop to set the right psi. i got out of the car and without any occupants first asked the guy to check the psi. front left was 30, front right was 28, rear both were 26. No wonder the steering was turning to left a bit. i dont know how this happened but i remember filling them up to 29 in front and 26 at back. but that time i was sitting in the car. maybe that makes a difference. i'm not to sure.

asked the guy to reset all four to 20 psi. then asked him to refill all to 32 psi. since then i've driven around 50 kms and i feel the steering to left is 95% sorted out. the reamining 5% might be psychological. i will have to drive around for a few more days to know for sure.

tomorrow i'm going to try 29/32 to see if that gives me better handling on the polo.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 6th July 2014 at 11:18.
Old 6th July 2014, 12:53   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is not correct. If at all, a RHD car will pull to the right and not the left. This is because of international road designs which will be sloped towards from the right to the left for RHD countries. The slope is to let the water drain to the gutters on the left. This is called as road crown (Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_design_of_roads)

To compensate for this road crown, by design a RHd car will pull to the right. Ofcourse in India roads are not designed scientifically so even manufacturers don't follow it as much. There maybe some manufacturers that do design this pull but it will be to the right and not to the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Drive any EU manufacturers car and they will pull to the left only marginally and you can only notice this in the flat state of the art circuit called buddh.

Normally you wont notice it much as ur hands are on the wheel, but its pretty evident at high speeds when u let go of the wheel at buddh on either of the long straights that the car slowly pulls to the left.

All my BMWs, Mercs, skoda's and VWs have done the same. What makes it more apparent in the polo is the EPS which doesnt force center as hard as a normal hydraulic steering would do.

The EU design guidelines and laws mandate such a design element in all their cars RHD or LHD.

Most Japanese cars i own don't do it as its not part of their design/safety regulations/guidelines in their home region. Last I checked america also had this law in place. LHD car will pull to right and RHD car will pull to left by design.

Back to your question, if the pull is VERY evident rana, then there is something wrong with your toe alignment. might be ur left toe is a bit more out than the right toe. Best check is bleed air to 20psi, refill to 32 and go for a drive on a flattish road. center the wheel and see if the pull is excessive. If it is get the alignment done at any shop. Just the toe, nothing more u can adjust in the Polo.
My car has always been left friendly and I attribute this to the way road is crowned in India towards the left for the rain water to drain to the sides. Of course on some roads if you drive on the extreme right lane, the road is crowned to the right, but on those roads I feel it has a lesser pull to the right as compared to the left.

Also the left side pull depends on how your vehicle's toe settings are aligned. Different alignment shops have different versions of what they consider as 'Ideal'. Some alignment shops prefer a 0 toe alignment setting, with which the crowning of the road will cause the car to pull to the left as the wheels are dead straight with the 0 toe settings.

Some shops consider a little toe in settings to the tune of 1 mm on each side which makes the total toe come to 2 mm. With this alignment setting, the car loses out a bit on acceleration, top speed as there is tyre scrub on the outer edges of the tyres as the tyres are aligned to face a little inwards. This setting will give great straight line stability and will not let the vehicle pull to any side other than if the crowning of the road is extreme.

Toe out will give you awesome turning capabilities, but the steering will become light during straight line runs and at high speeds life can get a little scary in the normal day to day driving as the steering response will be so instantaneous, U ll want to change one lane but u ll end up changing 1nd half or 2 at a time at high speeds keeping you constantly alert, but with this setting, take it on the Lonavala - Expressway Ghats, Kasara Ghats and U ll want to do this stretch up and down again and again like your car was a taxi.

I guess, I have summed up the basics out here. I would recommend either a little toe in for a daily drive or if you are okay with getting 100% feel of the road, no feeling of scrub and, dont want a little top speed reduction or acceleration lost and are okay with a little pull to any side depending on the crowning of the road, go for 0 toe setting.

I have been driving my Swift Diesel with 0 toe setting for more than 50 thousand km now. The plus side is, the tyre life increase by a tiny viny too due to non scrubbing of the front tyres and when you accelerate, the feeling of resistance for the forward motion is absent, which is amazing.

Hope this helps !

Last edited by humyum : 6th July 2014 at 13:09.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:55   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update on left pulling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
as suggested by prithwi, i went to a tyre shop to set the right psi. i got out of the car and without any occupants first asked the guy to check the psi. front left was 30, front right was 28, rear both were 26. No wonder the steering was turning to left a bit. i dont know how this happened but i remember filling them up to 29 in front and 26 at back. but that time i was sitting in the car. maybe that makes a difference. i'm not to sure.

asked the guy to reset all four to 20 psi. then asked him to refill all to 32 psi. since then i've driven around 50 kms and i feel the steering to left is 95% sorted out. the reamining 5% might be psychological. i will have to drive around for a few more days to know for sure.

tomorrow i'm going to try 29/32 to see if that gives me better handling on the polo.
I hope all this was in cold condition ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 13:06   #1744
BANNED

yes. did it first thing in the morning.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 21:08   #1745
BANNED

Tyre Size Dilemma... :-)

i've posted this in the vento tyre thread as it has a lot of feedback on tyres choices for vento polo rapid. but i'm posting this here again specifically to get feedback from fellow GT owners.

here's my story.

before i knew i was going to buy the polo gt i knew i wanted 205 55 15. i got the polo gt about a week and a half back. i've used michelins xm2 before on my previous car and was very keen to buy michelin again. however i was sad to know that they were not available in 205 55 15.

So i had to settle with the next best 195 60 15 Primacy 3ST. I've been riding on them for a week. They are excellent tyres. supreme comfort with minimal road noise. the ride quality is awesome and the grip seems great though i have not been able to try cornering much in a new car. for most people this is the perfect tyre.

however they are bigger in size vs the oem 185 60 15 and also 205 55 15. and hence i'm not getting the sporty look that i was after. also because of the higher side wall i feel the car bobs and bounces a little bit during cornering.

i wish to have better handling and a bigger contact patch with the road to have more grip. also i feel 205 will add a little more weight to the steering for better control and improved road feedback. i want that more planted feel that i feel only 205 55 15 can give me. that sporty feel. i feel 205 will suit more to the potential of the car.

i read reviews here and other places and also test drove the GT before i bought it. but to actually live with it and drive it for some days made me realize that it is more than just a point A to B vehicle. i have only just realized it's potential. 2 weeks ago my requirements from a tyre was ride comfort, minimum noise and grip in that order but now its become grip, ride comfort and minimum noise.

here are options...

1. Switch to 205 55 15 in one of the available choices right now ( Hankook V8 RS, Kenda Komet, MRF Zlo ) and then switch over to michelin 205 eventually when they launch.

2. Wait for michelin to launch 205 55 15 and ride on 195 60 15 till then. i don't know how long this will take.

what say guys ?

cheers

Last edited by rana_kirti : 7th July 2014 at 21:22.
Old 8th July 2014, 00:28   #1746
BHPian

S drives are available in the size you want. Little noisy, but the handling will make you grin. Don't go by people who say the sidewalls burst on this tire. I have been driving on these for 12k kms, and not a problem, and you all know I drive hard, but sensible. Went through one autox and still enough tread left for 2 x speed sprint.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please refrain from using SMS-Lingo as it hampers readability. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th July 2014 at 15:59. Reason: see note in post :)
Old 8th July 2014, 14:39   #1747
BHPian

Tried to book polo GT TSI in kerala.
Called EVM Kochi - Bookings stopped in all their showrooms across kerala.
Called phoenix Thrissur - waiting period minimum 6 months. sales guy mentioned that 2013 august bookings were also in the waiting lane. Even the test drive vehicle was sold. Current test drive vehicle in calicut. So test drive only possible after some days. So i am disappointed and decided not to book and wait to see what happens after july 15th.
Old 8th July 2014, 16:11   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Correct.
I had received a call from VW two weeks back and fixed up an appointment. Got the work done last week.
This recall by VW regarding the gearbox is called the 34F6 campaign.
The TSI has an adaptive DSG, i.e it learns , post service its been reset . I've felt it , and have also confirmed this with their technical advisor.
I took delivery recently and checked with the service manager. He says they do not have knowledge of any such intimation from VW! Should I be worried?
Old 8th July 2014, 20:01   #1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I took delivery recently and checked with the service manager. He says they do not have knowledge of any such intimation from VW! Should I be worried?
To my knowledge, only early GT TSI models are affected by the recall, but it's better to be certain.

Call up VW Tornado Motors Service Center on 02242726000 and request for "Joyce", if the attendent asks why, tell her its regarding the GT TSI's recall.
Once you get Joyce on the line tell her your case and she'll ask for your car's VIN.
She should be able to tell if your car is affected by the recall or not.

Your location states Mumbai , hence I assumed your nearest service center to be Andheri.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:58   #1750
BHPian

Yes the 2015 facelift model has arrived the showrooms, although will be displayed post launch on 15th July. GT's however wont be launching with Polo's. Maybe Aug, or else Sept.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:02   #1751
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
S drives are available in the size you want. Little noisy, but the handling will make you grin. Don't go by people who say the sidewalls burst on this tire. I have been driving on these for 12k kms, and not a problem, and you all know I drive hard, but sensible. Went through one autox and still enough tread left for 2 x speed sprint.
upgraded to 205 55 15. went with sdrive in mind. dealer convinced me to hankook v8 rs. they both were priced similar. design wise both looked cool. anyhow to the driving experience.... did the drop to 20 psi and upto 32 psi.

the ride height feels lowered. it feels much more planted on the road. definitely more confidence inspiring. cornering has improved by leaps and bounds. steering weighs up a bit more and is giving much better feedback. road noise is very low. ride quality is 90% of 195 60 15. loss of acceleration is negligible maybe 5%. it has totally transformed the car. also the car looks much more sporty now. i expect the mileage to drop but it's not what this is all about . this is how I wanted it. next tyre change I'll move up to 16 inch alloys and tyres.

lost about 7k in the whole going from 185 to 195 and then to 205 but it was a good lesson. now i have experienced both. so for people in the same dilemma.... if your top priority is ride comfort, minimum tyre noise and best fuel economy stay 185 60 15 or go 195 60 15 with added ride height. for everything else its... 205 55 15.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 10th July 2014 at 21:05.
rana_kirti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:04   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

upgraded to 205 55 15.

did the drop to 20 psi and upto 32 psi.
20 psi rana_kirti ??

I honestly hope that it was a typo for 29 psi. Or am I missing something here bro ?
Old 12th July 2014, 15:10   #1753
BANNED

hey vik ,its something prithwi told me to do. basically i told the tyre guy to reduce all 4 to 20 psi and then fill them up to 32 psi.

car running good in this setup. going to try other setups to see if i can get better handling out of the polo.
Old 12th July 2014, 21:05   #1754
Distinguished - BHPian

So you reduced to 20 PSI and then increased back to 32 PSI? Why? I mean how does it matter?
Old 12th July 2014, 21:23   #1755
BANNED

honestly, i have no idea. It's what prithwi suggested me to do since i was experiencing left pulling in my polo. he knows about cars.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 12th July 2014 at 21:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks