Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 21:13   #1996
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I would suggest sticking to the stock size of 15" as going to 16" will necessitate change of alloys too. Better to get good rubber such as Michelin 3ST or Yokohama AVS dB or similar for good ride and low noise.
I am probably getting my TSI on Saturday if the RTO officer turns up tomorrow.

In a major dilemma about tyres and am considering the following upsize options:
1. 16in x 5 Alloys (probably Borbet LV5/TSW Mallory) with 205/50/R16 x 5 Yokohoma S Drives
2. 17in x 5 Alloys (probably Borbet BS5) with 215/40/R17 x 5 Yokohoma S Drives

I am taking the tyre sizes from this guide:
http://www.changemytyre.com/Upsize/T...LO/Highline/23

Now the guys at Premji's in Mahim, say that we "cannot" have 17in on a Polo. They only had Konig's alloys in 17in and Goodyears that would fit them, so I was disappointed and am going to pretend that their advise had vested interest.

Some more questions:
* With the stock shocks will the 17in be tolerable? Any experiences or suggestions? Or should I play it safe with the 16in?
* If I buy alloys and tyres from somewhere else, will the guys buy my stock set?
* It is going to take me 7-10 days to get the alloys/tyres - will a 100-200 kms on the tyres make the tyres unviable for a trade in?
* This might sound silly but does everybody here who upsizes also change the spare as well? (I am assuming "yes", hence the x5 in the list above)

PS: For the Konig's and Goodyears, Premji was offering me a total cost of about Rs. 60,000/-, and Rs. 30,000/- after trade in (I did not clarify if this was for 4 or 5).
Old 4th September 2014, 22:11   #1997
Senior - BHPian

For starters it would be best to check the upsizing here http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html
use the calculator and try to remain within a 3% variation either way on the rolling circumference.

Usually no one wants a tire below a 50 profile. The ride with that profile is hard enough. Moreover the tires you are going for, the S drives are made from a very hard compound. Combining the two would be demanding on you, comfort wise.

The Konigs in the market are not from reliable sources, I would stay away. You have two good sources of original alloys in Bombay in Four Seasons @ Haji Ali opposite Crossroads mall(refer Bombay directory here on the forum) and the "Anand Brothers" in Opera house, this is not their(anand's) business name which I cannot recall, they are however listed on Lenso's web site being the official importers of Lenso for the country. However Four seasons will give you tires too. BTW, I am not connected to either of them commercially or otherwise.

Usually when you do a swap, it is considered to be for 4 tires unless 5 are specifically discussed. I doubt if Premji's will buy your OE tires if nothing is being bought from them. Then again they might, you really have to talk to them and maybe some other tire shops in the market to know the answer to that.

If you have an understanding with the dealer usually they do not bother with 200 -300 kms kind of run. However this must be agreed upon and then again the stand will vary from one dealer to the other.

These days one hardly gets a puncture so the spare is left as is, since in the brief time it is required it will do the job. OTOH, some people like to get 5 alloys in case one were to get damaged it could be difficult to get a single piece.

What else? think that covers it all. Have fun with the car and post pics with the new alloys in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbollini View Post

1. 16in x 5 Alloys (probably Borbet LV5/TSW Mallory) with 205/50/R16 x 5 Yokohoma S Drives

Now the guys at Premji's in Mahim, say that we "cannot" have 17in on a Polo. They only had Konig's alloys in 17in and Goodyears that would fit them, so I was disappointed and am going to pretend that their advise had vested interest.

Some more questions:
* With the stock shocks will the 17in be tolerable? Any experiences or suggestions? Or should I play it safe with the 16in?
* If I buy alloys and tyres from somewhere else, will the guys buy my stock set?
* It is going to take me 7-10 days to get the alloys/tyres - will a 100-200 kms on the tyres make the tyres unviable for a trade in?
* This might sound silly but does everybody here who upsizes also change the spare as well? (I am assuming "yes", hence the x5 in the list above)

PS: For the Konig's and Goodyears, Premji was offering me a total cost of about Rs. 60,000/-, and Rs. 30,000/- after trade in (I did not clarify if this was for 4 or 5).

Last edited by khoj : 4th September 2014 at 22:13.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 22:31   #1998
BHPian

Some updates I'd like to share:

- Visited the showroom today to get the HSRP number plate. Got hold of a service guy and got him interested in VCDS tweaks. Initially he was not willing to cooperate denying that such tweaks cant be done (needle sweeping, lane change indicator from 3 to 5, etc.).
The most common tweak they do is to add horn beep while remote locking/unlocking, and disable the 40km/hr speed limiter before giving delivery. Nothing more, nothing less.
So I got him in the loop saying that I would guide him with screenshots (thanks to Robin and Gannu for that) and if they dont work I wont pester them anymore.
So with much deliberation and later he got keen as well, we ended up doing two tweaks which I wanted: needle sweep (indicator celebration) and lane change to 5 blinks!

- Bought Star Mats and got a good deal because I bought 2 sets, one more me and another for someone who shall claim it here
Total cost: INR4000!
He'll ship all over India for INR3,200/set; can order via website
There is no dead pedal cut, so that should/can be tailored later.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1544-1024x768.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1551-768x1024.jpg
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:34   #1999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. 17in x 5 Alloys (probably Borbet BS5) with 215/40/R17 x 5 Yokohoma S
Congrats on the Tsi.

Some more questions:

Bhpian Speed_kills is using 17 inch TSW alloys in his 1.6 Polo. The ride on stock dampers is not great. He has swapped to Bilstein with H&R lowering springs. I think if its your daily drive and road conditions are not perfect, its safer to stick to 16.

With 40 profile tyres, you have to really careful.

The alloys can always be sold online to through other contacts.

It would affect the buy back price for sure.

Hardly anyone does these days. Also check if the spare alloy with the tyre fits into the stock stepney area properly. I could not fit a 205/50R16 Yoko shod Borbet LV5 in the car.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 01:14   #2000
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Congrats on the Tsi.
Also check if the spare alloy with the tyre fits into the stock stepney area properly. I could not fit a 205/50R16 Yoko shod Borbet LV5 in the car.[/b]
Robi,

The overall diameter being the same, is it safe to assume that the added 2 cm width is making it impossible to fit the spar wheel in? Or is it the profile of the rim?

Also, would you mind sharing the cost of the LV5?

Thanks,

Blr
Old 5th September 2014, 01:28   #2001
BHPian

Bad idea running 17s on the tsi as compared to the 1.6 due to the ESP and the stress on the dsg due to the larger heavier wheels. Stick to 16s. They look good enough, and are safe for the car.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:39   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Whew! Went to the VW dealer yesterday and boy do .... what the dealer says is acceptable or not, as they seem to be pretty clueless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Some updates I'd like to share:

- Visited the showroom today to get the HSRP number plate. Got hold of a service guy and got him interested in VCDS tweaks. Initially he was not willing to cooperate denying that such tweaks cant be done (needle sweeping, lane change .....so that should/can be tailored later.
great one on getting the needle sweep activated have to try and convince my dealer to do it as well. was your guy willing to do more changes?

Last edited by Stratos : 5th September 2014 at 16:16. Reason: Reduced Quoted text.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:42   #2003
BHPian

people, a quick question. Is it ok to put in new tyres with manufacturing date almost a year old?
Old 5th September 2014, 15:45   #2004
BHPian

Quote:

Some more questions:

I guess everyone has guided you, as you live in Mumbai like me, please my personal suggestion don't put 17" inches, best is to put 16" as Mumbai roads are very bad.

Premji is a very good friend and I have been going to him since last 7 years, infact for my polo I took the tyres from him and he took my rims tyres.

Lenso personally I had a very bad experience with Anand when I had the civic, I would never go to him, my mirror lip for the rim came off in 2 months, plus 2 rims got bend, he was not at all helpful, don't expect any service from him, People like premji might still help (again my personal experience).

If you have a good budget as rims will enhance the look of the car, but you should also invest in good branded rims, you can check with four seasons for OZ he can get it for you, else you can connect with the importer in Bangalore Anil from Hot tracks.

I hope this helps and congrats for your TSI.

Cheers.
The Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 00:01   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Bad idea running 17s on the tsi as compared to the 1.6 due to the ESP and the stress on the dsg due to the larger heavier wheels. Stick to 16s. They look good enough, and are safe for the car.
The TSWs are known to be light, I think they are close to a kg lighter than the 16" borbets (8kg vs 9kg, if I'm not wrong). Maybe Robi could clarify the weight of his alloys. The Polos do come with 17s standard in Europe.

Pardon my ignorance here, but if you run lower profiles won't the circumference be very close to OEM and the 16s?

Whether or not its practical in many of our cities, now that's a different discussion there.
Old 6th September 2014, 13:18   #2006
BHPian

My dealership has delivered one car more than 10 days back. They tell me I am next in line but are still waiting for a car to be billed. They also claim that there have not been any deliveries apart from the first batch to the south. Would like to know if anyone in the south is hearing the same thing from the dealer or is my dealer taking me for a ride.
Old 7th September 2014, 06:22   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
My dealership has delivered one car more than 10 days back. They tell me I am next in line but are still waiting for a car to be billed. They also claim that there have not been any deliveries apart from the first batch to the south. Would like to know if anyone in the south is hearing the same thing from the dealer or is my dealer taking me for a ride.
I think all dealerships got one car each, which they might have sold off to eager customers My dealer has 3 showrooms in Delhi NCR and they got one for each showroom. I was lucky and got the first one at their Saket showroom. yes, took delivery on Friday.
Old 7th September 2014, 07:36   #2008
BHPian

I got a call from VW confirming my TSI booking details and said that "this detail is used for vehicle allocation to your dealer".

I had booked my car Nov 2013 and after learning about the facelift, told the dealer to delay my delivery till the facelift launch (mirror, mirror on the wall;who's the stupidest of them all?).

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2014, 12:56   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I think all dealerships got one car each, which they might have sold off to eager customers My dealer has 3 showrooms in Delhi NCR and they got one for each showroom. I was lucky and got the first one at their Saket showroom. yes, took delivery on Friday.
You are right. I talked to someone who knows the MD at the showroom and he was told that they had only received one vehicle so far. They will only know about further deliveries when they get billed for the car. Right now they are telling me to expect delivery only by end of Sep or beginning of Oct. This is in spite of the fact that I booked my car way back in June
Old 7th September 2014, 17:32   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
great one on getting the needle sweep activated have to try and convince my dealer to do it as well. was your guy willing to do more changes?
Yes I got mine interested in VCDS tweaks, and at that point he was more than willing to do anything, provided I show him the screenshots. Like I couldn't find screenshots for 'flash lights on hard braking'.
They have a different diagnostic system, which differs from what we see on windows software. So they may have to explore around a bit.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks