Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 23:19   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Guys I want to know that In the past one and a half years, since the Polo GT's launch how many failures of the DQ200 7 speed gear box have been reported?
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 07:41   #2012
BHPian

@khoj Good question!

I have not noticed anyone owning a TSI in the forum or any reports in car mags or at the dealer (Bangalore Palace Cross) so far. But they say 3+ year aged DSGs are problem prone and the TSI launch is about 1.5 years.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:54   #2013
Team-BHP Support

Given that the peak torque generated by the 1.2 TSI mill is well below the torque-threshold / limit of 250 NM, AND that VW have supposedly switched to mineral oil from synthetic oil for the gearbox, we shouldn't be too concerned. Healthy driving practices such as shifting to neutral even for short periods while stationary may help prolong the life of the gearbox.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:15   #2014
BHPian

Only one reported dsg failure of for the gt tsi, that too because the guy put in a giant amp which caused electrical issues and eventually fried the mechatronics unit. Lots of GT running remaps, exhausts, perfectly fine without any issues.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 10:16   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Healthy driving practices such as shifting to neutral even for short periods while stationary may help prolong the life of the gearbox.
That is not required for a DSG. When your foot is planted on the brake at a stop the clutch disengages, which is why there is no difference between the idling RPM in gear or in neutral, unlike a torque converter AT where there is a difference. The clutch re-engaging is the reason why the car takes a little time to get going when you lift your foot of the brake.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 10:39   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
That is not required for a DSG. When your foot is planted on the brake at a stop the clutch disengages, which is why there is no difference between the idling RPM in gear or in neutral, unlike a torque converter AT where there is a difference. The clutch re-engaging is the reason why the car takes a little time to get going when you lift your foot of the brake.
But when I lift the foot from the brake, the car starts moving ahead on its own. So doesn't that mean its already engaged in 1st gear (when not on N) ?
Old 9th September 2014, 10:49   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
But when I lift the foot from the brake, the car starts moving ahead on its own. So doesn't that mean its already engaged in 1st gear (when not on N) ?
Yes but the creeping behavior of ATs is not what I was talking about. I was comparing the time it takes for a DSG and a TC AT to get going from a stop i.e. to start creeping. The start is a little more immediate in a TC, while it takes a few seconds more in a DSG.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 12:02   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but the creeping behavior of ATs is not what I was talking about. I was comparing the time it takes for a DSG and a TC AT to get going from a stop i.e. to start creeping. The start is a little more immediate in a TC, while it takes a few seconds more in a DSG.
I have also noticed this and was wondering why would DSG be a little sluggish immediately after taking the foot off brake and engaging accelerator. The experience is somewhat similar to that in the Prius when its engine shuts down completely when the car stops and takes a little time to start when the accelerator is pressed. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 17:22   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I have also noticed this and was wondering why would DSG be a little sluggish immediately after taking the foot off brake and engaging accelerator. The experience is somewhat similar to that in the Prius when its engine shuts down completely when the car stops and takes a little time to start when the accelerator is pressed. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks
Would the sprint booster help? Also anyone know how much this sells for in India. As far as I know, this retails for ~$300 abroad.
Old 9th September 2014, 19:06   #2020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the DSG does not slip the clutch while attempting to crawl forward / over an incline?
Old 9th September 2014, 19:39   #2021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
That is when the clutch is slipping, and you also get a tiny jerk which is when the clutch is engaged. This is normally only in first gear, the rest of the shifts are smooth.

Also I highly doubt the clutch is disengaged when the car is stopped in D, and I would still shift to N as a precautionary measure.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 20:46   #2022
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is when the clutch is slipping, and you also get a tiny jerk which is when the clutch is engaged. This is normally only in first gear, the rest of the shifts are smooth.

Also I highly doubt the clutch is disengaged when the car is stopped in D, and I would still shift to N as a precautionary measure.
Is this shifting into neutral thing particular to the DSG or is it applicable to all AT? I have had several AT cars and still has a couple; some of those have done over 250,000 kms. Have never followed the 'shift to neutral when stopped' philosophy and never had any transmission/clutch related issues on any one of them. Am I missing something here (other than slightly increased fuel consumption)?
Old 9th September 2014, 21:18   #2023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Is this shifting into neutral thing particular to the DSG or is it applicable to all AT?
For normal torque converter AT you don't need to shift to N. Just leave it in D and press brakes.

Even for DSG it's not a must but good practice. DSG's are known to have reliability issues so as a user we must do our bit to mitigate the risks as much as possible. Whatever helps basically, beyond that it's your fate. Keeping it in D slips the clutch slightly and can heat up the gearbox internals. Shifting to N just reduces the strain. Even the N is only for super long signals for more than 30-40sec or something.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 21:28   #2024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Is this shifting into neutral thing particular to the DSG or is it applicable to all AT? I have had several AT cars and still has a couple; some of those have done over 250,000 kms. Have never followed the 'shift to neutral when stopped' philosophy and never had any transmission/clutch related issues on any one of them. Am I missing something here (other than slightly increased fuel consumption)?
Well it seems to be needed much more in DSGs since I've read the main cause of mechatronic failures was heat and humidity. Leaving it in D while keeping the brake pressed generates heat.

In normal ATs too I would say its a good practice, since the conditions in India are very taxing on the transmission. There is no hard and fast rule, I guess it depends on everyones commute, what kind of traffic they face, what kind of temperatures, the time of the day, and how long they end up stopping for.

In normal transmissions what I've noticed with cars whose drivers always keep it in D without shifting to N at stops is - When in D with brakes pressed there is a noticeable amount of vibration and a slight hum as compared to keeping it in N. In peoples cars who move to N at stops there is no difference between holding it in D for a few seconds and keeping it in N, in terms of NVH.

Like I said earlier its a good practice, and I follow it with ATs. If I'm stopping for more than 15 seconds I shift to N.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 9th September 2014 at 21:32.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 21:43   #2025
Senior - BHPian

I drive a '99 Avalon and notice that the vibrations on the steering wheel and the engine noise itself are lot less if the gear is in N when in 'stop'.

I make it a practice to move to N when nearing a signal. People are a little accommodating here if you take a second or so to move after the light turns green.

One question I would like to ask though is if the DSG lowers the rev drastically once you take the foot off the gas pedal. The Ford cars exhibit such a behavior as if it is running in Neutral. Could help with the gas mileage I suppose?

Most Viewed