Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 22:00   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So the DSG does not slip the clutch while attempting to crawl forward / over an incline?
I'm sure it does but we are talking about a complete stop. Perhaps I haven't understood the context of your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is when the clutch is slipping, and you also get a tiny jerk which is when the clutch is engaged. This is normally only in first gear, the rest of the shifts are smooth.

Also I highly doubt the clutch is disengaged when the car is stopped in D, and I would still shift to N as a precautionary measure.
You're saying the lag when setting off is because the clutch is slipping? I'd think if the clutch was engaged and slipping it'll set off smoothly, just like a manual does.

BTW I'm not saying the disengagement is similar to the way the transmission is in N or P. It is in a ready to go state but the clutches are not rubbing against each other and they are not slipping at stops. Can you imagine the heat, wear and friction that would create? The manual does not recommend shifting to N for short stops. You can do it for long stops but that is more to ease the pressure on your foot rather than help the transmission.

One other important point about neutral in DSGs. In that mode the transmission fluid stops circulating, which carries the danger of overheating, especially if one is in the habit of coasting to a stop.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 23:26   #2027
Senior - BHPian

A fellow member in Madras is facing some issues in the buying process of his Polo.

He has a query regarding the MID, which I believe members here who already own the Polo would be better placed to answer.

Do take a look here and help out arun2014

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3527937
Old 9th September 2014, 23:42   #2028
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I'm sure it does but we are talking about a complete stop. Perhaps I haven't understood the context of your question.

You're saying the lag when setting off is because the clutch is slipping? I'd think if the clutch was engaged and slipping it'll set off smoothly, just like a manual does.

BTW I'm not saying the disengagement is similar to the way the transmission is in N or P. It is in a ready to go state but the clutches are not rubbing against each other and they are not slipping at stops. Can you imagine the heat, wear and friction that would create? The manual does not recommend shifting to N for short stops. You can do it for long stops but that is more to ease the pressure on your foot rather than help the transmission.

One other important point about neutral in DSGs. In that mode the transmission fluid stops circulating, which carries the danger of overheating, especially if one is in the habit of coasting to a stop.
More in line with my thoughts!
Old 10th September 2014, 09:43   #2029
BHPian

Hello Folks,

After a lot of deliberations at home, finally about to book my GT in Carbon Steel Color. Have decided to go for the dealership in Chembur. However in a quandry finalizing between GT Tsi and GT Tdi
Paranoid about the DSG reliability but the convenience factor is weighing heavily on mind. Request experienced TSi Owners to shed light on the long term reliability of the DSG and any special precautions to be taken. Another issue is RTO at my location is around 50 Kms from the dealership. I'm a bit reluctant to have the dealership fellow drive down in my new car to the RTO for the registration formalities. How should I take care of this?
Old 10th September 2014, 09:55   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
Paranoid about the DSG reliability but the convenience factor is weighing heavily on mind. Request experienced TSi Owners to shed light on the long term reliability of the DSG and any special precautions to be taken.
Obviously you've not searched the forum for your query, but it will help if you read just the last two pages of this thread.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:18   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Guys I want to know that In the past one and a half years, since the Polo GT's launch how many failures of the DQ200 7 speed gear box have been reported?
When I was booking my car with the dealership, they told me that they had one case of DSG failure till date across 3 of their dealerships, and that dsg was replaced under warranty by VW. The SA just advised me to stick to scheduled service intervals and it should be fine, not that DSG requires any servicing as it is a sealed for life unit.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:28   #2032
BHPian

Folks - been informed by the dealer that Carbon Steel TSI has been allotted to me. Vehicle will reach yard today.

VIN is WVWH14600FT021324

Will be doing a PDI tomorrow.

Cheers,
Old 10th September 2014, 12:14   #2033
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Folks - been informed by the dealer that Carbon Steel TSI has been allotted to me. Vehicle will reach yard today.

VIN is WVWH14600FT021324

Will be doing a PDI tomorrow.

Cheers,

Congratulations on getting your new ride! You are getting it from the Palace Cross dealership, right?
blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:20   #2034
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at the Tsi as a run around car in Dilli. That will be a 100% stop and go traffic therefore I am in the same boat regarding the gearbox's robustness. There are posts on this page and the previous one responding to my query on the issue and going through these has helped alleviate the situation.

As for the RTO thingy, talk to your dealer and I am sure a workaround can be managed. Either you could go along and maybe drive the car yourself OR the VIN/Chassis number's impressions can be taken on the relevant form and the registration proceeded with, in this case the vehicle need not be taken to the RTO at all. From my personal experience the former is a workable solution and quite a few dealers do this.

BTW don't the RTOs in Bombay allocate new registration nos. online as is done here in Dilli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
Hello Folks,

After a lot of deliberations at home, finally about to book my GT in Carbon Steel Color. Have decided to go for the dealership in Chembur. However in a quandry finalizing between GT Tsi and GT Tdi
Paranoid about the DSG reliability but the convenience factor is weighing heavily on mind. Request experienced TSi Owners to shed light on the long term reliability of the DSG and any special precautions to be taken. Another issue is RTO at my location is around 50 Kms from the dealership. I'm a bit reluctant to have the dealership fellow drive down in my new car to the RTO for the registration formalities. How should I take care of this?
Old 10th September 2014, 12:25   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Congratulations on getting your new ride! You are getting it from the Palace Cross dealership, right?
That's right. Have you booked yours from the same place?

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:34   #2036
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
That's right. Have you booked yours from the same place?

Cheers,
Yes! Post your experience after taking delivery. If you don't mind, then I would like to PM you after that to ask a few questions.

Thanks!
blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:07   #2037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Healthy driving practices such as shifting to neutral even for short periods while stationary may help prolong the life of the gearbox.
Quote:
That is not required for a DSG. When your foot is planted on the brake at a stop the clutch disengages, which is why there is no difference between the idling RPM in gear or in neutral, unlike a torque converter AT where there is a difference. The clutch re-engaging is the reason why the car takes a little time to get going when you lift your foot of the brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
So the DSG does not slip the clutch while attempting to crawl forward / over an incline?
Quote:
Sir,

Pardon me. I'm new to ATs, let alone DSG gearboxes. But I was given to understand that shifting to N while stationary, even for a short period, is good practice and a measure of precaution - To which you stated that the clutch disengages while stationary in D and shifting to N isn't necessary. As I've said earlier, I'm not an expert in so far as ATs are concerned and assumed that the clutch is engaged while stationary in D.

Cheers!
Suhaas
Old 10th September 2014, 15:45   #2038
Distinguished - BHPian

This has long been a big controversy, world wide. I'd surprised if there wasn't a TBHP thread on it already?

There is another aspect to AT clutches being engaged/disengaged: if they are hydraulic (and if transmission fluid is mentioned then I suppose they are) then I don't think there are plates that engage in the same surface-to-surface manner as the clutch of a manual-box car.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:04   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is another aspect to AT clutches being engaged/disengaged: if they are hydraulic (and if transmission fluid is mentioned then I suppose they are) then I don't think there are plates that engage in the same surface-to-surface manner as the clutch of a manual-box car.
A DSG has plates and clutches. As does an AMT (1). A torque converter doesn't AFAIK, it uses a fluid and wane coupling mechanism.

The oil I was referring to is the transmission oil that coats the gears, not the clutches (which depending on the DSG type can be wet or dry.)
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:29   #2040
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hill hold control guys - keeps it stable on inclines instead of moving forward.

And I still maintain guys - in bumper to bumper traffic, the i10 AT is actually better - even though I got flakd for it some aeons ago

Last edited by JishD : 11th September 2014 at 00:31.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks