Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 23:15   #2086
BHPian

Has anyone tried octane booster in their car. High octane fuel is not available in my city. Can I use octane booster instead?
Old 16th September 2014, 00:06   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

You could fill up from the Shell bunk opposite D'Mart on the Kalavad road. Even if they do not have Super Unleaded their normal fuel has a minimum RON of 91 and at times 93.
Ford used to recommend system G (IIRC) but not any more. One cannot be too sure of what all goes in to these Octane boosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
Has anyone tried octane booster in their car. High octane fuel is not available in my city. Can I use octane booster instead?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 09:51   #2088
Senior - BHPian

We're digressing from the thread topic and going off topic, so I won't write no more on this, here.. Let me explain others below, in-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Advise has nothing to do with cities. Let me elaborate and reason with you and prove it how 3M paint sealant is no match for glass coatings like Modesta BC-05, C-Quartz, etc.

Why not? It may be that collectively, all 3M Car Care centers in Mumbai aren't good. Same could be said of the ones in B'lore. I was countering your statement since u said 3M is only good for car wash and mats. Your statement made it look like the Mumbai ones were bad, which is why I went ahead and said that the advice may seem inappropriate since u and diffsoft are in different cities. And I further stated that there is a great 3M car care center in B'lore, where diffsoft resides. Nothing wrong with what I said, then?

Longevity of coating in India
Glass coatings>Paint sealants>Wax.

Glass coatings would beat any paint sealant hands down. Try C-Quartz once at either Ultimate Detailerz or Quantum Detailing. Modesta BC-05 glass coating would leave you in amazement.

I agree completely and didn't contest this, if you noticed carefully. I have read your posts and know you from the detailing thread. I'm also aware of these lacquer coatings and never claimed a sealant to be better. I was only establishing that the sealant program also delivers good results and can be done as a top notch work from this 3M car care center in B'lore am familiar with. No doubt the opti-coat or carpro c-quartz coating are better. But your statement that 3M Car Care is good for washes and mats only, is severely incorrect and misleading.

I would suggest you to re-verify it before posting any further comments. I'm aware of it and some detailer(Known to me) tried to malign image of Ultimate Detailerz.

I'm not paid to speak in favour of someone. Nor against someone. I mentioned only 1 incident and didn't generalize. I heard of this incident first hand and the car is also a Hyundai i20. If I was acting favourable or against someone, I would have said "many such applications turned disastrous". This particular Hyundai i20 had a terrible c-quartz/equivalent product coating done and that's all I mentioned. My caution is for anyone to be careful with this as it takes a knowledgeable and an experienced hand to apply these product(s).

Go through post by Paul Dalton and Jim White Details on facebook and you would understand why worlds top detailer use glass coatings like Modesta BC-05 and not just paint sealants.

Thanks, I'll skip the reading as I know about them and agree too.

Just wanted to add, try Modesta BC-05 glass coating by Quantum Detaling, Bangalore, if your budget permits. Its the best you can get and will outlast any 3M pant sealants by far.

Note: I'm not associated with any detailing entity, just passing information for bhpians benefit.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:02   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You could fill up from the Shell bunk opposite D'Mart on the Kalavad road. Even if they do not have Super Unleaded their normal fuel has a minimum RON of 91 and at times 93.
Ford used to recommend system G (IIRC) but not any more. One cannot be too sure of what all goes in to these Octane boosters.
I am using shell in all my cars from the same bunk. What I wanted to know was, whether octane booster can replace high octane fuel. Will it have same effect in terms of performance? What would be the downside of using such booster in a TSI.
Old 16th September 2014, 18:55   #2090
BHPian

Took delivery of my car today and all went off well. Extremely professional by VW Palace Cross. It took me a while to understand many of the features and how to use them; requires some unlearning since I come the Japanese / Korean family.

I took her out and enjoyed a small drive; have decided on giving it the 3M treatments. Do not plan any stock changes till I get comfortable with the cars, dealer etc.

I will open a review (maybe called Polo for Dummies by a Dummy) after a long distance trip to Bekal planned later this month.

@ blr- there is no facility to hook roof rail

Thanks are due to many folks in the forum, but @androdev deserves a special mention for casting his spell on me with the sole objective of draining my wallet!

Cheers,

Here are some pictures - quite low quality, but hope to be let off having hedged myself earlier. Can someone can tell me how to insert pics between texts?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3127.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3133.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3135.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3137.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3138001.jpg  

diffsoft is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 20:08   #2091
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Took delivery of my car today and all went off well.
Congrats diffsoft! Glad you found it easy going too!

Quote:
@ blr- there is no facility to hook roof rail

Thanks for confirming that! It appears that 2009 and newer models don't have the anchor points. I found out this out after asking you the question, but still wanted to double check. Anyway, the roof rack for these newer models are made to fit without this anchor. Would like to have the roof rack, but have to make a choice between VW OE/Thule/Rhino.

Congratulations once again! Enjoy your new ride!

<b>PS:</b> Btw, I am almost certain the car doesn't have paddle shifhters. Could you please confirm?

Last edited by blr : 16th September 2014 at 20:12.
Old 16th September 2014, 20:48   #2092
Senior - BHPian

The gist of your two posts are as different from each other as chalk from cheese and no octane boosters are not a 1:1 replacement for high octane petrol. Depending on what is in a given booster the injectors may get eroded/pitted.

Quote:
High octane fuel is not available in my city. Can I use octane booster instead?
Quote:
I am using shell in all my cars from the same bunk. What I wanted to know was, whether octane booster can replace high octane fuel.

Hey congratulations on your new ride. I want to ask you regarding the colour on your Tsi. It looks like Pepper Grey to me but then per the colour palette available fro this model it should be Carbon Steel. Which one is it?

As for inserting snaps between text. It is as simple as selecting the space where you want to insert the snap, click to place the cursor there. Open the manage attachment menu and select the one snap that you wish to insert and click on the same. It will get inserted at the cursor's position, so on and so forth. There is a tutorial on the forum which explains it very lucidly.

Quote:
Took delivery of my car today and all went off well. Can someone can tell me how to insert pics between texts?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 22:17   #2093
BHPian

So experts, I'm on the verge on cancelling my City SV CVT booking due to some unpleasant experience with the Honda dealership. Last weekend I went out looking for a replacement, something that I can get my hands on by November max... with minimal waiting time.
Auto transmission is a priority.

I happen to test the TSI and fell in love with it. Now, here's the predicament -
I plan to keep the car for the next 5+ years, up to 7 if possible - that is pretty much going to be the deciding factor on the loan amount and duration too. It's going to be driven 90% in city (Mumbai).

Keeping these in mind especially the time period bit, is it wise to invest in a TSI - Polo or Vento (whichever the family chooses)? I know the reliability of the box has improved drastically and there are extended warranty packages that will pull me out of any mess but can I actually hold on tight to a VW vehicle for that long?

Appreciate all the help that I can get here. This thread is already a goldmine of information.
Old 16th September 2014, 22:21   #2094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks are due to many folks in the forum, but @androdev deserves a special mention for casting his spell on me with the sole objective of draining my wallet!
Congrats diffsoft. While I am disappointed that I couldn't convince you to drain more than 10L, you got an awesome car at a great price. The new steering wheel looks fabulous. Wish you many years of happy and safe driving. Keeping low expectations helps :-)
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 23:20   #2095
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my car today and all went off well.
Congrats on the new set of wheels. Nice colour.

What is the button to the left of the rear defogger? The one above the head unit. The regular Polo's only come with the hazard lights and the rear defogger.
Old 16th September 2014, 23:36   #2096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
What is the button to the left of the rear defogger? The one above the head unit. The regular Polo's only come with the hazard lights and the rear defogger.

Its the button to turn off traction control/esp. Only GT tsi comes with ESP.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 00:20   #2097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
if I'm in signals type Short to Long ie from 45 second upwards I keep the car in P mode with engine running.

- no stress of engaging foot brake or the hand brake.

is the above practice correct or am I damaging my gearbox ?
Best practice is to stop the car always with either foot brake or hand brake. P mode engages a small mechanical pin to lock the output shaft. Without foot/hand brake being applied, this pin may get subjected to stress especially on an incline where the pin alone will be holding the weight of the car from rolling off.

Here is a useful video:
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 10:03   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi803 View Post
So experts, I'm on the verge on cancelling my City SV CVT booking due to some unpleasant experience with the Honda dealership. Last weekend I went out looking for a replacement, something that I can get my hands on by November max... with minimal waiting time.
Auto transmission is a priority.

I happen to test the TSI and fell in love with it. Now, here's the predicament -
I plan to keep the car for the next 5+ years, up to 7 if possible - that is pretty much going to be the deciding factor on the loan amount and duration too. It's going to be driven 90% in city (Mumbai).

Keeping these in mind especially the time period bit, is it wise to invest in a TSI - Polo or Vento (whichever the family chooses)? I know the reliability of the box has improved drastically and there are extended warranty packages that will pull me out of any mess but can I actually hold on tight to a VW vehicle for that long?

Appreciate all the help that I can get here. This thread is already a goldmine of information.
A very similar experience to mine. I cancelled my City CVT booking in favor of the Vento TSI because of its clear superiority over the Honda. I don't change my cars very often either so this will stay with me for 7+ years. A DSG failure is the primary concern but extended warranty and the fact that VAG is replacing gearboxes free of charge even after expiry of warranty gave me some confidence. Otherwise the sales and ownership experience has been very good, so far.

My only suggestion is that if you were considering the City, the Vento would be a better fit because the Polo will be a little cramped.

Last edited by StarScream : 17th September 2014 at 10:06.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 10:44   #2099
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Diffsoft!

The pictures may not show it, but the new Carbon Steel is a stunning colour. The black mirrors and spoiler go well with it too.

Get that driver's arm-rest installed right away. It's an absolute must for an AT car. Also, do consider getting better rubber. I know that you'd rather keep it stock for now, but better tyres won't hurt.

All the best and drive safe!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 12:13   #2100
BHPian

Congratulations diffsoft, Drive safe. Car is looking awesome. I love the carbon steel color
anshurao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks