Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 14:00   #2116
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I am confused because TDi s are more drive-able and frugal, automatic is automatic.

Fuel costs do concern me BTW. But i end up looking at the TSI as 1 lac cheaper than the TDi just because of the gearbox.

What would be the ideal choice. Please help me decide.
How do you end up "looking" at TSI as 1 Lac cheaper then TDI?? You mean bcos its AT, so you are compensating it with figure of 1 Lac? Hope you know that in actual price for both is the same (7.99 Lac ex-showroom).

Given your monthly running and concern for fuel cost, TDI is a better option, unless you are hell-bent on driving a AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi803 View Post
Total OTR is coming to a little shy of 9 lakh. Including mud-flaps, mats etc.
Yes, can't be shy on 9 Lacs! In Delhi it costed me +9 Lac, Mumbai should be tad expensive, if not same I guess.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:45   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My running is close to 1000 km a month with 600 Km city and 400 Km weekend highway trips.

But i end up looking at the TSI as 1 lac cheaper than the TDi just because of the gearbox.

P.S. - White is the colour of choice.
Hey Crazy_Bean I am not adding a long more to what others have already advised you, but just my 2 cents:

- GT TSI & GT TDI are priced exactly same in Bangalore at 9.80lks OTR.

- Even if you would end up driving 500kms a month, GT TDI will always be more frugal & easy on pocket over GT TSi.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:12   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow members, I am in the market for a sporty hatchback and after trying all the cars I have narrowed it down to the POLO GT twins.

Now its incredible hard to decide between the TSi and TDi.

My running is close to 1000 km a month with 600 Km city and 400 Km weekend highway trips.

I feel GT TSi is more value as it offers the 7 speed DSG that is easily worth 1 lac (for me,hypothetically) , also the GT TDi feels expensive as the engine is same as the Highline (so a 65 k premium for 15 ps) but still its a one time spend so GT TDi over highline any day.

I am confused because TDi s are more drive-able and frugal, automatic is automatic.

Fuel costs do concern me BTW. But i end up looking at the TSI as 1 lac cheaper than the TDi just because of the gearbox.

A problem I have with the polo is that due to extremely flat side profile, (sheet metal) the car is very susceptible to parking lot door dings. ( all VW cars are). I am hoping that polo is able to withstand the parking lot abuse although I am very careful while parking).

P.S. - White is the colour of choice.
I think the real issue is whether you want an AT or a manual. That will automatically sort out the decision. At 1,000 kms a month, I personally don't think you need a diesel. The only other thing, is that the TSI is much more refined than the diesel.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the TDI being more drivable - the TSI can't be beat for convenience. Driven sedately, it's capable of returning 16 kmpl in city with A/C. The DSG is also the closest thing you can have to a manual in an AT car, in my opinion, with its S and tiptronic modes.

Lastly, in my experience, the VWs are much better built than Japanese/Korean makes and small dings don't leave a mark.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 15:16   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post

Yes, can't be shy on 9 Lacs! In Delhi it costed me +9 Lac, Mumbai should be tad expensive, if not same I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Its definitely more that 9. I got my highline for 8.7.
With extended warranty, et all, it should be closer to 9.5.
Had to call up home and ask mom to check. Thought my eyes were probably deceiving me. It's 8,90,098 OTR. Add another 16k for RSA and extended warranty.

Gimme time till tonight to take a good picture and upload it.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:32   #2120
BHPian

Quote:

I am sure there will be supporters for each of the cars you have shortlisted, so I would suggest go with what matters the most to you, lower fuel bill or the convenience of an automatic and a great one at that.

I assume you drive for about 30 km per day in a city's stop-go-wait-crawl traffic. so you will love the comfort of the auto box, and the same is true for highway runs as well. in comfort, the auto box beats manuals hands down.

also, my opinion on the facelifted GT TDI is that either VW were making a substantial loss on the 1.6 GT TDI or they are making a humongous profit on the new one, as they are saving 15% in excise duty by downsizing the engine (engineering costs aside). that should have been enough for them to throw in the DSG in GT TDI also. Now that would have been a killer combo.

With the new one, VW seem to be ripping off their customers. although we can wait a bit and see the pricing of the refreshed Vento 1.5 TDI. if they price the new Vento at the same level as the old 1.6 TDI (there is a saving of 3% there as well), then you can be assured that VW are making a cool Lac extra on each GT TDI they sell.

And if you are giving a serious thought to GT TDI, do consider the Vento TDI Highline as well. the VW guys are now giving a discount of one Lac on the current model. so, for an extra lac you get a boot and more interior space, but lose out on the new steering wheel and a few other bits.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:01   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow members, I am in the market for a sporty hatchback and after trying all the cars I have narrowed it down to the POLO GT twins.

Now its incredible hard to decide between the TSi and TDi.
Hi Crazy_Bean,

I would suggest you to go with the GT TSI. The engine + gearbox combo is a gem. It even comes with ESP. Also with the ever increasing traffic, a compact auto hatch makes a lot of sense. And polo comes with the best auto gearbox this side of 10 lakhs.
As far as running costs is concerned, your running isn't high. The additional amount you pay for fuel can be offset by the convenience and thrill of driving a turbo-petrol car.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
amansanc
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:30   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
How do you end up "looking" at TSI as 1 Lac cheaper then TDI?? You mean bcos its AT, so you are compensating it with figure of 1 Lac? Hope you know that in actual price for both is the same (7.99 Lac ex-showroom).

Given your monthly running and concern for fuel cost, TDI is a better option, unless you are hell-bent on driving a AT.
Hey, I understand that both are priced the same, i mentioned that hypothetically I consider GT TSi as 1 lac less because of the gearbox. TDi is more economical, more so I am a Turbo Diesel fan. I test drove the TSi and I feel diesels are more fun (that's Just me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Crazy_Bean I am not adding a long more to what others have already advised you, but just my 2 cents:

- GT TSI & GT TDI are priced exactly same in Bangalore at 9.80lks OTR.

- Even if you would end up driving 500kms a month, GT TDI will always be more frugal & easy on pocket over GT TSi.
Yes, Right. A diesel is always easy on pocket. Baniya me
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I think the real issue is whether you want an AT or a manual. That will automatically sort out the decision. At 1,000 kms a month, I personally don't think you need a diesel. The only other thing, is that the TSI is much more refined than the diesel.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the TDI being more drivable - the TSI can't be beat for convenience. Driven sedately, it's capable of returning 16 kmpl in city with A/C. The DSG is also the closest thing you can have to a manual in an AT car, in my opinion, with its S and tiptronic modes.

Lastly, in my experience, the VWs are much better built than Japanese/Korean makes and small dings don't leave a mark.
I wrote that Automatic is automatic. Nothing beats an automatic and by drivability I meant that GT TDi is not that bad (that's why pitting it against the automatic TSi)
For me manual gearbox is not a problem. But for sure Automatic is an added luxury.
I also own a passat and it has a small parking lot ding ( from a parallel car onwer carelessly opening his door). I think the Etios cross is the best car to overcome this it has too much plastic cladding, too bad I dont like it, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I am sure there will be supporters for each of the cars you have shortlisted, so I would suggest go with what matters the most to you, lower fuel bill or the convenience of an automatic and a great one at that.

I assume you drive for about 30 km per day in a city's stop-go-wait-crawl traffic. so you will love the comfort of the auto box, and the same is true for highway runs as well. in comfort, the auto box beats manuals hands down.

also, my opinion on the facelifted GT TDI is that either VW were making a substantial loss on the 1.6 GT TDI or they are making a humongous profit on the new one, as they are saving 15% in excise duty by downsizing the engine (engineering costs aside). that should have been enough for them to throw in the DSG in GT TDI also. Now that would have been a killer combo.

With the new one, VW seem to be ripping off their customers. although we can wait a bit and see the pricing of the refreshed Vento 1.5 TDI. if they price the new Vento at the same level as the old 1.6 TDI (there is a saving of 3% there as well), then you can be assured that VW are making a cool Lac extra on each GT TDI they sell.

And if you are giving a serious thought to GT TDI, do consider the Vento TDI Highline as well. the VW guys are now giving a discount of one Lac on the current model. so, for an extra lac you get a boot and more interior space, but lose out on the new steering wheel and a few other bits.
You are bang on with the calculations. Thanks!
I feel the same, thats why looking at both the cars. For a moment, I thought why not buy the highline then, if it has to be diesel.

Anyway, I need a small car. so no vento.
OFF TOPIC: VENTO TDi DSG IS LAUNCHING ON 24th SEPTEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Hi Crazy_Bean,

I would suggest you to go with the GT TSI. The engine + gearbox combo is a gem. It even comes with ESP. Also with the ever increasing traffic, a compact auto hatch makes a lot of sense. And polo comes with the best auto gearbox this side of 10 lakhs.
As far as running costs is concerned, your running isn't high. The additional amount you pay for fuel can be offset by the convenience and thrill of driving a turbo-petrol car.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
amansanc
Thanks. I feel 1000 kms a month is good enough to go for a diesel. The feeling of a diesel tankful lasting almost a month is amazing.

I dont want to go for a petrol car.

The sole problem is that I am trying to convince myself for TSi for the DSG box.
I am planning to keep thinking about this for a week and take the plunge.
Old 18th September 2014, 16:40   #2123
BHPian

Guys can someone confirm if you have been offered extended warranty for the GT TDI or TSI? The dealer in Goa says that there is no extended warranty offered for the GT variants.
Old 18th September 2014, 16:45   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Guys can someone confirm if you have been offered extended warranty for the GT TDI or TSI? The dealer in Goa says that there is no extended warranty offered for the GT variants.
the extended warranty was not available when I took delivery of my car. and when I pointed it out to the SA that the VW website showed extended warranty is available, their response was that it is for the old GTs.

but I just checked the VW website again, and they say that extended warranty is available for the NEW GT TSI and NEW GT TDI. it was not the case 2 weeks ago. the extended warranty matrix did not list the new GTs. you should be able to get it now. I also plan to ask my dealer for it. though, you have a year to avail it at no extra cost.

Last edited by lalittalwar : 18th September 2014 at 16:49. Reason: updated with information
Old 18th September 2014, 17:16   #2125
Senior - BHPian

So what you guys have is the NHC (New Honda City) aka Dolphin or Soap dish and the 2nd generation refers to the one before that. Then came the ANHC & now the current one. You have done well to move away from the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi803 View Post
The abbreviations are a little confusing but it's the dolphin one. I believe that is the second generation.
What put me off in the 14' city was the quality of parts and the inconsistencies with the build. I must have been to the dealership 5-10 times to check out different deliveries, it just left a foul taste overall.
For insurance quotes, online is the best bet and go directly to the insurers web site. For new cars Royal Sundaram, L&T, Videocon & Reliance general are very aggressive especially with their 0 Depreciation policy quotes.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:38   #2126
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a few doubts about the TSI Polo, this is my first time in a VW thread so if a few of my limited observations from a couple of test-drives isn't applicable anymore by all means you can tell me. The model I test drove in 2012 was the first-gen rather beat up dealer car which didn't please me at all. The dealer was particular about sticking to a small-roundabout which gave me no clue about its handling. The throaty 3 pot engine was jerky when switching gears and accelerating. The steering rim material was hard and scratchy with plastic jagged bits sticking out, while this might be due to improper care the hard-plastic material wasn't too pleasant to hold. Personally that engine irritated me because of the noise and sluggish pull.

Now coming to the kind of driver I am, certainly not a speed-lover in the sense that I don't care one bit for 0-80 timings or in-your-face torque. What I do expect is ready power on tap in a very linear, quiet way. Steering feedback is important for me, by feedback I mean feedback - knowing exactly what kind of tarmac the front wheels are on. The old model was pretty numb and had zero feedback in the 40-50kmph it achieved. Certainly gave zero emotions when turning.

The interiors and steering looks are certainly vastly improved in the new one. Has anything been done about the steering feel as well? I know the TSi is the best auto-box as of now, but since I overheard that the DSG is a learning unit, how does a stock one fare in <50kmph city traffic conditions? Do the gear shifts seem like a manual, where power delivery is instant and seamless? Or does it act shaky at times not knowing when to shift? Is the engine silent in revs (I prefer it). Would appreciate a personalised answer.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:13   #2127
BHPian

Apparently my carbon steel gt tsi has been despatched from the factory. Any suggestions on upgrades or swaps of one equipment in the new car?
Old 18th September 2014, 18:39   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
I paid for the extended warranty for the GT TSI. I was told the warranty certificate will arrive within 30 days.

Cheers,
Old 18th September 2014, 20:52   #2129
BHPian

Going really off topic here. VW has launched the EU Polo GTi with a stonking 1.8L 190 bhp, 320nM motor.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-86711.html.

I'm really liking the front and rear bumper changes and the choice of alloys. Rear is minimal, front taking design cues from big brother Golf GTi, slightly different rear spoiler. What I would do for those interiors!

VW India are you listening? Why not give us the old 1.4L engine with this refresh at 12-13 lakhs? Asking for way too much but there would be many takers
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015volkswagenpologtirevealedwith18tsienginephotogallery_1.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015volkswagenpologtirevealedwith18tsienginephotogallery_2.jpg  

shefiu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 20:54   #2130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, it's available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
So what you guys have is the NHC (New Honda City) aka Dolphin or Soap dish and the 2nd generation refers to the one before that. Then came the ANHC & now the current one. You have done well to move away from the City.
OT:

Khoj, the City before the 'NHC' is not the 2nd gen Honda City.

In India, 4 generations of the City have been sold. The 1st one was also face-lifted (OHC), and the NHC a.k.a. the Dolphin City is the 2nd Gen City (Which also received a facelift - ZX) followed by the 3rd Gen (ANHC) and now the 4th Gen City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
Apparently my carbon steel gt tsi has been despatched from the factory. Any suggestions on upgrades or swaps of one equipment in the new car?
As suggested earlier, the driver's arm-rest is an absolute must. It costs between 6k-12k depending on where you get it. Check BHPian Gannu's DIY threads for more info.

I would also suggest you swap the stock tyres for wider ones BEFORE you take the car onto the road so that you get a good discount on the stock set. If I were you, I'd also get paint-protection and maybe leather upholstery, if the wallet permits.

Oh, and I almost forgot! Get some VCDS tweaks done. Check with Robi for more info on that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks