Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 14:26   #2326
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFuelRun View Post
My thought of what the video says is that when we put the gearbox in 'N' it doesnt know if we are going to pick 'D' or 'R' next and hence is in a limbo of sorts.

When we pick 'D' it takes a few miliseconds to engage and be ready on 2nd, and since its starting on 2nd, it is a little sluggish also.
What I understood is:
- In "N", because the transmission is unsure of you going fwd or reverse, it keeps the 2nd and reverse gear "ready to engage".
- If you put it in D, and press the accelerator (in less than 1 sec), it has no choice but to start in second gear.
- I infer that it you shift to D and wait for a second before pressing on the accelerator, it will give enough time to the transmission to know your intent and engage first gear. Can any DSG owners please try this out and let me know if this is true?

Cheers,
Su-47
PS: Check out the video above around 1:40 mark for conversation about acceleration from standstill.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:44   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I may have do that as well i.e book the car without a test drive. Btw did you book yours at VW Palace Cross? And what was the booking amount you paid? They are asking 50k for booking.
Yup booked it at VW Palace road and the booking amount was 50K.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:46   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
I'm babying the car right now, keeping revs under 2000 rpm, planning to do so for the first 1000 KMS or so.
First of all, congratulations on your new GT!!! you dont need to to keep it under 2000 rpm, rather for the first 1000 Kms 4000 rpm should be the limit as per the manual, and then gradually take the car up to 6000 rpm by 1500 kms. so, enjoy the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I am not a tyre expert, I can only say that if its going to be an upsize then do it sensibly and make sure its within the recommended tolerance limit. Its very rare to find cars like Polo in India which have got right dynamics and quality in the affordable segments, don't ruin them by improper mods.
195/60/15 is within the tolerance limit of 3% from what I could gather from various websites and forums.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:52   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up my gt tsi today from Vw downtown. The car is addictive!

Switched tyres to Michelin xm2 and also installed the arm rest. Will be taking it on a long drive tomorrow morning, and looking forward to it.

I'm babying the car right now, keeping revs under 2000 rpm, planning to do so for the first 1000 KMS or so.

Would also like to mention that the sales experience at Vw downtown, prabhadevi was very good indeed.
Congrats on the car. It sure is addictive.

Could you mention how much did the arm rest cost you? And where did you get it installed? I just did a highway run and sorely missed one.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:59   #2330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
What I understood is:
- In "N", because the transmission is unsure of you going fwd or reverse, it keeps the 2nd and reverse gear "ready to engage".
- If you put it in D, and press the accelerator (in less than 1 sec), it has no choice but to start in second gear.
- I infer that it you shift to D and wait for a second before pressing on the accelerator, it will give enough time to the transmission to know your intent and engage first gear. Can any DSG owners please try this out and let me know if this is true?

Cheers,
Su-47
PS: Check out the video above around 1:40 mark for conversation about acceleration from standstill.
That is true for any automatic, when in N it does not know whether D or R will be engaged.

Since the DSG always has both the clutches ready to engage, and since R and 1 are on the same clutch, it cannot keep both ready so R is kept ready from one clutch and 2 is kept ready from the other clutch. If you shift to D and give it a second or so, it switches from R to 1 on that clutch and starts off in 1. Otherwise if the accelerator is pressed before it can do that since 2 is the forward gear ready it engages that and slips the clutch. I have a feeling that is why the starts are jerky sometimes.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 15:09   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is true for any automatic, when in N it does not know whether D or R will be engaged.

Since the DSG always has both the clutches ready to engage, and since R and 1 are on the same clutch, it cannot keep both ready so R is kept ready from one clutch and 2 is kept ready from the other clutch. If you shift to D and give it a second or so, it switches from R to 1 on that clutch and starts off in 1. Otherwise if the accelerator is pressed before it can do that since 2 is the forward gear ready it engages that and slips the clutch. I have a feeling that is why the starts are jerky sometimes.
Hmmm.. makes sense. I've had jerky launches while pushing the throttle as soon as shifting to D from N. So the jerk/bounce comes bcos it slips D1 and launches straight on D2?

This can be confirmed by looking at the cluster I guess, will try sometime soon.
Old 10th November 2014, 15:15   #2332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Hmmm.. makes sense. I've had jerky launches while pushing the throttle as soon as shifting to D from N. So the jerk/bounce comes bcos it slips D1 and launches straight on D2?

This can be confirmed by looking at the cluster I guess, will try sometime soon.
Cluster may not show it. Again my feeling is that it just starts moving in 2nd, but gets the other clutch ready with 1st and downshifts immediately. That may also be a cause for the lag experienced sometimes.
Old 10th November 2014, 15:25   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Switched tyres to Michelin xm2 and also installed the arm rest. Will be taking it on a long drive tomorrow morning, and looking forward to it.
Congratulations on the new car!
Was the Arm Rest a DIY? Or did you find someone to get it done?
Old 10th November 2014, 15:35   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi803 View Post
Congrats on the car. It sure is addictive.

Could you mention how much did the arm rest cost you? And where did you get it installed? I just did a highway run and sorely missed one.
I picked up the Polo GTI armrest from vagtune. Didn't want to risk customs issues through alibaba. Cost me about 13.75k.
Old 10th November 2014, 15:57   #2335

Quote:

Since the DSG always has both the clutches ready to engage, and since R and 1 are on the same clutch, it cannot keep both ready so R is kept ready from one clutch and 2 is kept ready from the other clutch.
It might be a very newbie question, but why would the clutch be engaged on 2nd gear instead of 1st? If it is in a standstill position?
Old 10th November 2014, 17:17   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here's another puzzle to ponder over. I was going though some youtube videos and saw in one that the for the 7-speed DSG, R is on the shaft that has gear 2. Hence one shaft is for gears 1, 3, 5 and 7, while the other is for 2, 4, 6 and R. The video posted here, seems to be referring to the 6-speed.

This is the video I'm referring to:

Last edited by StarScream : 10th November 2014 at 17:47.
Old 10th November 2014, 18:16   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Here's another puzzle to ponder over. I was going though some Youtube videos and saw in one that the for the 7-speed DSG, R is on the shaft that has gear 2. Hence one shaft is for gears 1, 3, 5 and 7, while the other is for 2, 4, 6 and R. The video posted here, seems to be referring to the 6-speed.
I think the 7-speed DSG referred to in the video is the DQ500 and not the DQ200 that's available on the Polo GT TSI.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/...new_dq500.html

Last edited by mohitk1993 : 10th November 2014 at 18:22.
Old 10th November 2014, 18:28   #2338
Distinguished - BHPian

No experience of this kind of gearbox, though I'd like to get some one day!.

The auto boxes in my life have had positions L or D, or 1, 2, and D. If you want to start with acceleration anything fancier than that of a snail (especially with torque converters, that can make a 2L engine feel like push bike at low speeds) you engage that lower gear. Otherwise you just take it easy in D. What's the procedure with these VW DSG gearboxes?
Old 10th November 2014, 18:58   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbollini View Post
Congratulations on the new car!
Was the Arm Rest a DIY? Or did you find someone to get it done?
I went to a local mechanic who come highly recommended, he hadn't done something like this before so it took him some time, but he eventually did a very thorough and good job.

My recommendation is do not try a DIY unless you have all the right tools at home, there are various bolts/nuts to be fitted and the tool need to access it at an angle, so the mechanic I went to had all the right tools.

Also took instruction from vagtune before fitting, some things are not so easy to see and understand and so that helped as well. For example, when you need to slide in the base mechanism, you need to pull up a part of the plastic assembly and slide the base in, and after that place it properly so that you can fasten the screws.
HeavyFuelRun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 19:59   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
I think the 7-speed DSG referred to in the video is the DQ500 and not the DQ200 that's available on the Polo GT TSI.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/...new_dq500.html
I think it is the DQ200. First, the video says this is for compact cars, while the link you posted says the DQ500 is for heavy-duty use. Second, and this is the clincher, the video is for dry type clutches, while the DQ500 is wet type.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks