Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 00:08   #2461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
I was advised to post my question here:

I asked a dealer about the color options and they say that the GT twins are available in all colors in which the new polo is available. Can someone please confirm the same? I do know of the red, white and grey (carbon steel) options but not sure about others. The VW India website does not provide this info and I even e-mailed the customer service and they just redirected me to the same webpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
When I was finalizing GT TSI the dealer's salesperson at HYD told me that GT TSI is available only in 3 colors that you mentioned

IIRC, white, red and grey are the only 3 colors. Blue was available only for the press test drive vehicles, silver and orange is not available. Black has been removed permanently by VW, Hyundai (don't know why).
Old 14th December 2014, 00:18   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Black has been removed permanently by VW, Hyundai (don't know why).

Really? You mean on a particular model? Whatever happened to black among VW and Hyundai, if this is true!
Old 14th December 2014, 09:50   #2463
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Really? You mean on a particular model? Whatever happened to black among VW and Hyundai, if this is true!
I'm sure it has been removed for Polo and Elite i20.
Old 14th December 2014, 16:39   #2464
BHPian

I was reading up the user manual today just for fun...and then noticed so many missing features in our Indian special edition GT that I thought i'd list them down...

S.No Feature
1 Towing Bracket Rear
2 External Mirror Heating
3 External Mirror Folding
4 Cruise Control System
5 Gear Change Paddles for Triptronic
6 Daytime Headlights
7 Electric sliding/tilting glass roof
8 Front passenger airbag deactivation
9 Interior reading lights
10 Side airbags
11 Curtain airbags
12 Start/Stop system
13 Active cylinder management
14 Coming Home/Leaving Home lights
15 Instrument Light Adjustment
16 Tyre pressure monitoring
17 Navigation System
18 Vehicle key with alarm button
19 Interior movement monitoring system and anti tow alarm
20 Front center armrest
21 Seat heating
22 Seat belt height adjuster
23 Isofix anchor points for child seats
24 LED headlights
25 Luggage compartment light
26 Illuminated vanity mirror
27 Heated washer jets
28 Headlight washer system
29 Automatic anti dazzle rear view mirror interior
30 60/40 rear seat (not in the FL Tsi)
31 4 fastening rings in boot (need to check)
32 Bag hooks in boot (need to check)
33 Drawer in the front seat
34 Cooling vent in glovebox (need to check)
35 Front seat backpocket
36 Rear drink holder
37 Removable ash tray in drink holder
38 Cigarette lighter in socket
39 Rear view camera/RCD 510

Quite long eh..?
d_himan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 09:37   #2465
BHPian

Gentlemen, here I am with another addition to the GT TSi club from Bangalore. Mine is a Flash Red and will pen down the report soon.

BTW, have a question for the TSI owners here about the doors locking and unlocking, and I guess I will need some help here from the gurus... the Scenario is when I manually lock or the car automatically locks the doors past the 15 kmph mark, and at this time someone on the front or rear passenger seat tries to open the door, the door opens. I have tried to do all possible options, but no luck. For now I have manually put the child lock for the rear doors, but the front passenger door acts in the same fashion.

Please advice and help.
Old 17th December 2014, 09:47   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Gentlemen, here I am with another addition to the GT TSi club from Bangalore. Mine is a Flash Red and will pen down the report soon.

BTW, have a question for the TSI owners here about the doors locking and unlocking, and I guess I will need some help here from the gurus... the Scenario is when I manually lock or the car automatically locks the doors past the 15 kmph mark, and at this time someone on the front or rear passenger seat tries to open the door, the door opens. I have tried to do all possible options, but no luck. For now I have manually put the child lock for the rear doors, but the front passenger door acts in the same fashion.

Please advice and help.
THAT IS INDEED the design Raghu. Many manufacturers are now moving to this because, earlier, there were instances where the locked doors didn't unlock, in the case of an accident, thereby trapping the occupants inside the car.
Now, the door locks in a way that someone pulling the handle from outside, won't be able to open, but an occupant inside would be able to easily open and get out.
I know this poses a problem, in a few cases, but one rule I enforce, is to make sure every occupant is wearing a Seat Belt, and put a Child Lock on one side only.
Old 17th December 2014, 09:54   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post

Please advice and help.
Hey raghu4222, first off Welcome to the GT Club !!

I am a GT (TDI) owner and mine's a Flash Red too, but a 1.6 at that.

Regarding the door lock/unlock, that mechanism of not having a separate latch or button is a flaw in my opinion. Not a deal breaker though, but an inconvenience nevertheless.
As far as I know, the only way to ensure that the doors don't get unlocked after an automatic lock is to enable the Child lock at the rear.

However, there is no possible way to ensure that the front passenger does not unlock all doors, since just a pull of the passenger door (from inside) lever will release the door locks.

But the awesome thing about this German technology is that once the car hits 15-17km/hr and the door locks:

1. One cannot open the car from outside by pulling the grab handle.
2. The doors remain locked until the key is taken out of the ignition, even if the driver switches off the engine.
Old 17th December 2014, 11:36   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
THAT IS INDEED the design Raghu. Many manufacturers are now moving to this because, earlier, there were instances where the locked doors didn't unlock, in the case of an accident, thereby trapping the occupants inside the car.
I recently bought a Vento and the locking is the same. This locking mechanism is pretty stupid in my opinion and dangerous too. The other cars (for example the swift) has a separate knob for unlocking. So if someone inside (after an accident) is in a position to pull the lever, then he/she can turn the knob and the pull the lever (if someone is that incapacitated then even if he/she unlocks the door i don't think he/she will be be able to push the door open and get out-just my opinion). If accidents are the reason then the car will anyway automatically unlock (if the airbags are activated, i don't know how it works in the case of non-airbag variants) to enable access from outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

But the awesome thing about this German technology is that once the car hits 15-17km/hr and the door locks:
I saw this being mentioned as a unique feature in many threads but my 9 year old Swift (Zxi) (which i sold a month back) had this from day-1. I own a vento now, so don't get me wrong, this is a nifty feature but it is not exclusive to german vehicles and has been available before these vehicles entered our market
Old 17th December 2014, 11:48   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I recently bought a Vento and the locking is the same. This locking mechanism is pretty stupid in my opinion and dangerous too. The other cars (for example the swift) has a separate knob for unlocking. So if someone inside (after an accident) is in a position to pull the lever, then he/she can turn the knob and the pull the lever (if someone is that incapacitated then even if he/she unlocks the door i don't think he/she will be be able to push the door open and get out-just my opinion). If accidents are the reason then the car will anyway automatically unlock (if the airbags are activated, i don't know how it works in the case of non-airbag variants) to enable access from outside
Mohan,

I am neither advocating nor defending the rationale behind the Functional aspect of this design, but merely re-stating what I have read from the manufacturer's statements on this change.
They all cite statistical data on occupants being unable to open doors from the inside, leading them to make this change.

Example Case: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...locked-n100881

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th December 2014 at 12:03. Reason: Added Historical Reference
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 13:13   #2470
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone please share with me a complete VCDS scan of their Polo (Face-lift, GT or Highline). Preferably Stock, If anyone has upgraded anything then please let me know.

I have been extensively studying VCDS scans and retrofits and am in process of upgrades to my Passat by myself.

Now as the Polo GT is my next car, I want to prep myself before hand by studying the scans and the possible retrofits.

The first two retrofits i am looking at are a RCD 510 upgrade (duh!) and cruise control retrofit.

Any help would be great.

Also, is anyone aware of any such database, where If I find the part number of say a Module, then I can find a list of compatible part numbers with that module?

Old 17th December 2014, 16:39   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Mohan,

I am neither advocating nor defending the rationale behind the Functional aspect of this design, but merely re-stating what I have read from the manufacturer's statements on this change.
They all cite statistical data on occupants being unable to open doors from the inside, leading them to make this change.

Example Case: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...locked-n100881
The link that you shared mentions a totally different use case. it states that pre-1999 BMWs couldn't be unlocked from inside if locked from outside. I can't think of any reason why it was that way in the first place. it makes no sense.

What was being discussed here was a different matter (whether unlocking and door opening should be a single step process using the same lever/knob or should it be a 2 step process using different levers/knob) and as i said i see not much benefit in having it on the same lever, on the contrary it can be quite dangerous.

P.S. I was questioning the manufacturer's rationale and their explanation (if they given one) not you personally.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 17th December 2014 at 16:45.
Old 17th December 2014, 18:54   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
The link that you shared mentions a totally different use case. it states that pre-1999 BMWs couldn't be unlocked from inside if locked from outside. I can't think of any reason why it was that way in the first place. it makes no sense.

What was being discussed here was a different matter (whether unlocking and door opening should be a single step process using the same lever/knob or should it be a 2 step process using different levers/knob) and as i said i see not much benefit in having it on the same lever, on the contrary it can be quite dangerous.

P.S. I was questioning the manufacturer's rationale and their explanation (if they given one) not you personally.
This was meant as one example of why doors needed to be easily unlockable from inside at all times, as per the manufacturers, and not specifically pertaining to the use case you mention above.
The design goal, as I understand it, is, to keep the doors in an unlocked state, at all points of time, irrespective of where they had been locked from (in or out). If you put two levers/buttons controlling this, you are essentially defeating this goal, if the lever/button in question, fails to release the lock. Hence, it is kept unlocked for inside occupants, and the mechanism is controlled by one lever, which makes it easy and quick to release and open the door simultaneously.

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th December 2014 at 18:55.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:33   #2473
BHPian

Quote:
If you put two levers/buttons controlling this, you are essentially defeating this goal, if the lever/button in question, fails to release the lock. Hence, it is kept unlocked for inside occupants, and the mechanism is controlled by one lever, which makes it easy and quick to release and open the door simultaneously.
Yes, of course it is easier to open when it is only a single lever. i never said otherwise. It is the ease that i have a problem with. For an event which can happen rarely (accident) you are making everyday commute riskier. So in the balance of things i would want the everyday commute to be less risky if it has to be a choice between the 2.

Having said that it doesn't have to be a choice. As i said in the event of an accident which triggers the airbag the car (vento, Polo) automatically unlocks the doors. So even if there was another lever/knob to unlock, in the event of an accident, it would have been automatically unlocked meaning the passenger would have to only pull the door opening lever.

Safer, simpler and achieving the best of both scenarios, i would feel.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:43   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Now, the door locks in a way that someone pulling the handle from outside, won't be able to open, but an occupant inside would be able to easily open and get out.
I know this poses a problem, in a few cases, but one rule I enforce, is to make sure every occupant is wearing a Seat Belt, and put a Child Lock on one side only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

I am a GT (TDI) owner and mine's a Flash Red too, but a 1.6 at that.

Regarding the door lock/unlock, that mechanism of not having a separate latch or button is a flaw in my opinion. Not a deal breaker though, but an inconvenience nevertheless.
As far as I know, the only way to ensure that the doors don't get unlocked after an automatic lock is to enable the Child lock at the rear.

However, there is no possible way to ensure that the front passenger does not unlock all doors, since just a pull of the passenger door (from inside) lever will release the door locks.

1. One cannot open the car from outside by pulling the grab handle.
2. The doors remain locked until the key is taken out of the ignition, even if the driver switches off the engine.

roy_libran and Vik0728, thank you so much. Its a relief as I was under the impression that my car was defective.

But on the other hand I have to think of any possible alternatives if there are any
Old 19th December 2014, 00:36   #2475
BHPian

Raghu, do not look for alternatives, like going for some after market front door locks.
You will lose electrical warranty.

Keep the rear doors child locked, if you have kids and encourage your kid to sit in the back.
I have tried opening the front door when the car is in motion and the doors open from inside.
This can be scary when kids sit in the front.

Enjoy your ride!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks