Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 13:56   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The tremendous acceleration that the tsi engine generates necessitates absolutely spot on braking especially in urban traffic and all around discs would have been par for the course.
I'm sure Pete's has or would have a drum to disk conversion kit for this version of Polo, just like what they have for the Fortuner.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:00   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Tell me what you think of this. In the month of March 2013, post discounts a Honda City S AT cost 10.6 on road in my city. This is exactly a lac over the Polo GT. There is no DSG, Turbo petrol or ESP. What do you buy?
I will still buy the Polo GT without a spec of doubt in my mind. And this is purely because my current requirement is an AT (easy for wife to use). But since AT's under 10 lakh typically have low power and low efficiency numbers, I have held back to my Turbo Diesel Ritz till date (love the turbo surge / lag). Now that I have an AT which is sub 10 lakh, decent equipment list, good power (& turbo), ESP and even hill assist (again easy for wife) - I am 99% sure of buying the GT. The only thing I will wait for is now a comparison with Ecosport AT (with the ecoboost engine) & Punto Abarth (if any AT version).

But as I said, if I had a choice - I would want a better equipment list, preferably with a Turbo Diesel AT
Old 30th April 2013, 14:06   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I'm sure Pete's has or would have a drum to disk conversion kit for this version of Polo, just like what they have for the Fortuner.
If I remember correctly, a fellow BHPian highly modded his rapid and also installed rear disc brakes. BTW Polo R cup cars have all around discs so I don't think its a big task.

Quote:
Just visited the VW showroom at Hosur road, Bangalore. There was a red Polo GT for display. There are no TD vehicles
Same is the case in my city. Dealer is saying there are some formalities left being a new launch, once completed, they will start providing test drives.

Quote:
As for the third world engines all one has to do is look under the hoods of existing Polos.
Yeah, have seen it as well. the turbo in 1.2 TDI produces maximum boosts of 22 psi, how many cars are there with such high tubro boost? It can be revved all the way till around 5K RPMs and whole range is juicy, how many engine are there which have this kind of revvy nature except Hyundai CRDI? And the 1.2 petrol, torquy at low end thus the improved city drivability experience compared to many other cars. And speedo of VWs is one of those which have least error compared to GPS speed.

criticizing engine for having 3 cylinder is similar to criticizing a high BHP engine but with smaller capacity.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th April 2013 at 14:11.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:06   #259
Senior - BHPian

Good one Nitin , you do have a quirky sense of humour

Quote:
we do that and that leads to \/ \/

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Just visited the VW showroom at Hosur road, Bangalore. There was a red Polo GT for display. There are no TD vehicles and neither do they have the brochures as of now. Everything should be ready within a months time is what the sales person commented. The price is tentatively 9.45Lacs on road.

The looks, build quality and features are superb!

However, they clearly informed me that buyers are not supposed to install any kind of extra fittings unless approved and installed at their showroom. Such actions would void warranty. This is especially regarding aftermarket ICE.

\/ \/
Quote:
Wanted to ask them whether washing the vehicle would void the warranty! or they may say warranty is denied as during delivery there were x grams of dirt which is missing.

True that but that 8 nozzle design is based on two generations old common rail technology and the less said the better about their petrol engine that shudders around and sounds as if it were on tractor duty. They are only rectifying their earlier mistake with the introduction of TSi in this segment, hopefully they will offer it in Vento too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Yeah, have seen it as well. 1.2 TDI having 8 nozzles (jets) compared to Multijet's 5 and turbo boosts 22 psi of maximum pressure, how many cars are there with such high tubro boost? And the 1.2 petrol, torquy at low end thus the improved city drivability experience compared to many other cars. And speedo of VWs is one of those which have least error compared to GPS speed.

criticizing engine for having 3 cylinder is similar to criticizing a high BHP engine but with smaller capacity.

Last edited by khoj : 30th April 2013 at 14:16. Reason: replying to an additional post quote
Old 30th April 2013, 14:21   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
And this is purely because my current requirement is an AT (easy for wife to use).
A Brio AT won't cut it for you? You get bomb proof reliability over suspect DSG.

As for the Abarth, its probably going to be another super expensive hatch batch.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:23   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
A Brio AT won't cut it for you? You get bomb proof reliability over suspect DSG.
Not as powerful as I would want it to be, moreover somehow I perceive it as not a worthy highway performer compared to the Polo or i20 AT. I would rather just go for the DZire AT/ Ritz AT / Amaze AT as an alternative to the Polo/i20.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:31   #262
BHPian

Quote:
True that but that 8 nozzle design is based on two generations old common rail technology
@Khoj, I believe you are referring to discontinued 1.2 PD TDI whereas Indian Polo has 1.2 R3 12V TDI which is doing duty in Polo and many other VAG cars all over the world and a slightly more fuel efficient version of it call 1.2 TDI Blumotion is also available in some countries. It was first time used in 2009. I don't think period of 4 years can be called 'two generation old.'

PS : @MODs, sorry for going OT but a clarification was highly required hence had to post.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th April 2013 at 14:34.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:41   #263
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate your concern but TDI itself is the good old CRDI with a different nomenclature. Having said that if the R3 is contemporary to what VW offers in Europe then that is good but still cannot be considered as a favor to their customers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
@Khoj, I believe you are referring to discontinued 1.2 PD TDI whereas Indian Polo has 1.2 R3 12V TDI which is doing duty in Polo and many other VAG cars all over the world and a slightly more fuel efficient version of it call 1.2 TDI Blumotion is also available in some countries.

PS : @MODs, sorry for going OT but a clarification was highly required hence had to post.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:46   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Value for Money - no sir.

My only point is that AT's in general are expensive (case in point the i20 AT - which I think is the only comparative match). So price was not a "falling back on my chair" kind of surprise when the GT was launched. Moreover, this is definitely no car for the common man, and we can see this from the fact that VAG has not publicized it at all. For a person like me who wants a premium hatch AT, it does make sense and VAG knows that those like me will come sniffing on our own if the product is apt.
  • But does that mean I don't think it can be cheaper - No !
  • Does that mean I would not want leather seats, side skirting and wider wheels in the same price - No !
  • Does that mean I don't dream of a similar priced diesel AT - No !
Well I opine that this hatch is purely for the enthusiasts. Though i will miss the paddles - the dsg is like no other. period. one can talk about the reliability issues / regular servicing requirements etc etc but then this is a performance car - so the thrill that it gives you more than compensates the extra attention it commands, I cannot put this in the same league as the i20 AT - the TSI matted to a DSG is racing stuff. buyers of this product will fall in 2 categories :
Those who think it is a plain automatic petrol hatch & those who are aware of the exciting prospect of super fast shifts (thanks to the DSG), and trust me - the owners will never regret buying this car - a smile plastered on the face due tot he rush of adrenalin is worth much more than the superficial goodies provided by the Hyundai (rain sensing wipers et all)....

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Please avoid typing.. like..this. Read the Announcements before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th April 2013 at 15:13. Reason: see note in post
Old 30th April 2013, 14:55   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
moreover somehow I perceive it as not a worthy highway performer compared to the Polo or i20 AT.
Your perception of the Brio could do with a re look.

I can't speak about highway performance for the Brio AT but have driven the manual and its a blast. Incredibly quick and surprisingly stable. The Brio beats the i20 AT hollow in highway manners.

The Suzuki's come with a 4 speed box.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 15:01   #266
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I signed up for a test drive on their website. Pressed Enter. 2 minutes later I get a call from Bombay from a lady, who reconfirmed my details and lined up a TD. I am soooo looking forward to this TD. Fingers crossed.
It's either this or the Brio AT. I know, it's not a fair comparo, but, that's all I like in the market right now, for what I am looking for.
Old 30th April 2013, 15:56   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW is not doing anyone any favors, they are simply penny pinching wherever they can.
They have to! You need to understand that this is not a high volume product for VW, then you need to factor in that adding a rear disk, climate control, leather seats will move the price way beyond what an enthusiast would be willing to pay. Like i said earlier, the engine + transmission package is expensive and to keep pricing competitive they have to forego some relatively unnecessary luxuries.

Quote:
The tremendous acceleration that the tsi engine generates necessitates absolutely spot on braking especially in urban traffic and all around discs would have been par for the course. As for the third world engines all one has to do is look under the hoods of existing Polos. Every other manufacturer has introduced engines that are either similar to or variants of their current offerings being sold in mature markets all around the globe.
Tremendous acceleration? This car makes 104 horsepower. Some super saloons on the national grid making in excess of 150hp, hitting the ton in 6 odd seconds are using stock disks in the front with drums at the rear.

The polos front disks coupled with abs and esp will still outbrake any car in the same pricerange - rear disks or not.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 16:30   #268
Senior - BHPian

If i was looking at this car, this is what i would do. Wait for a year - VW for sure would have to offer good discounts on this model to move it. Pounce on it then. Or buy it second hand.

~9.5L for a 100PS hatch ? Way too overpriced. Plus the reliability factor of the 7 speed DSG.
Old 30th April 2013, 16:37   #269
Senior - BHPian

I drive a turbo jet petrol that makes only 114bhp and while it weighs substantially more than the Polo it just goes like a rocket. On it's maiden drive from the showroom in Bombay to home in Dilli, it was a revelation in the way that it ate other vehicles with much much better power figures chewed them and spat them out of the exhaust. It was shocking to me to say the least and with 6000 kms in only 3 months of driving it still gives me goosebumps with the take offs. My other ride with a much larger 2 liter but naturally aspirated engine cannot hold a candle to it in terms of pick up capability.

The turbocharged petrols are nothing less than sheep in wolves clothing. Based on my experience with the smashing(pun intended) take offs and the subsequent ability to respond to accelerator inputs like a locomotive, I feel that the vehicle could have done better with discs all around as I have no doubt that the Polo though with slightly depreciated stats but with its lower weight is going to be another firecracker..

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Tremendous acceleration? This car makes 104 horsepower.
I am going to wait for a few months before putting down my money, as I am sure if the model clicks we will see not only the discs all around but maybe a 1.4 Tsi and most importantly (for me) the availability of this model in Silver Reflex.
Old 30th April 2013, 16:40   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
They have to! You need to understand that this is not a high volume product for VW, then you need to factor in that adding a rear disk, climate control, leather seats will move the price way beyond what an enthusiast would be willing to pay. Like i said earlier, the engine + transmission package is expensive and to keep pricing competitive they have to forego some relatively unnecessary luxuries.
I'd look at it in another way. At 9.8L OTR Bangalore, aren't they already alienating the regular petrol hatch customers and targeting a niche segment of buyers?

If it wasn't a high volume product and was aimed at enthusiasts who could afford to pay 9.8L for a petrol hatch, they could have as well added a few extra kit to complete the picture and kept those enthusiasts happy. How much more would it cost to add automatic climate control, leather seats or paddle shifters anyway? If someone is buying a petrol hatchback at ~10L, he is not the kind of guy who will run away if the same car is priced 50-60k more. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th April 2013 at 16:52.

Most Viewed