Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 19:37   #2686
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

The stork's coming home!!!!
Big Blue (our Vento TDI HL) is getting a little brother.

If all goes well, we should be welcoming a sleek Carbon Steel GT TSi home on Wednesday 4th march 2015.

All say Happy Birthday....
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 16:22   #2687
BHPian

Can anyone of the GT TSI owners on this forum please take a look at the fuse layout picture from my car and compare it with their cars and let me know if the fuses are exactly where they should be

The reason behind this is because i went to one of those car accessories places for something and the technicians there were meddling with the fuses when i was talking to the owner of that place. When i started my car and was about to leave the place the car wouldn't move forwards or backwards even though the gear was slotted in D OR R mode. All the car would do was rev when i put my foot down on the gas pedal. I also observed that the gear selector indicator on the MID was flashing in which ever mode it was being slotted into (it was doing this from the P mode to the Tiptronic mode). They played around with the fuses again and all was set right. I guess these el stupidos interchanged the fuse that is supposed to be in slot number 13 which is supposed to be the fuse related to the mechatronic unit of the DSG. I gave them a piece of my mind for meddling with the fuses without my consent. Everything seems to be working properly now and there are no warning lights flashing on the dashboard.

It would be an immense help if any one of the GT TSI owners on this thread cross check the fuse layout picture that i am uploading here with the fuse layout in their cars and let me know if any of the fuses is not where it is supposed to be (better yet if they can upload a picture it would be even better). I came across a post by Gannu on page 108 of this thread in which he uploaded a partial photo of the fuse layout in his GT TDI as well as a PDF file with information regarding the fuse layout in a polo 6R however there is quite a bit of difference between the layout of the GT TDI as well as the information on the pdf file.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-fuse-layout.jpg  

Old 6th March 2015, 15:15   #2688
BHPian

Hi there from a new member of the TSI Club.

Took delivery of our new GT TSI on the 4th of February 2015, the day before Attukal Pongala.
This is our 2nd purchase from EVM TVM (Vento 3 years ago was the first), and I must say we had a great experience from start to finish.
Sales Consultant Joy was an absolute joy (pun intended) to work with.
The car as expected is a pleasure to drive. My only problem so far is that I sometimes step on the clutch, causing the car to jerk to a halt. Thankfully each time traffic was light, so I was fortunately not rear-ended.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo1.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo2.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo3.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th March 2015 at 11:16.
pillainp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 11:53   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
My only problem so far is that I sometimes step on the clutch, causing the car to jerk to a halt. Thankfully each time traffic was light, so I was fortunately not rear-ended.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Beware of the "Phantom Clutch" especially for the first few days of driving an automatic or if you switch between driving a manual and automatic car. Since you are used to driving a manual for a number of years your reflexes (especially when you try to brake) make your left leg reach out for the non existent clutch in an automatic and cause you to press the brake pedal. It happened to me the very first day that i bought my TSI and fortunately the guy who was behind me was very quick to brake as well or else i would've been rear ended.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:49   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Beware of the "Phantom Clutch" especially for the first few days of driving an automatic or if you switch between driving a manual and automatic car. Since you are used to driving a manual for a number of years your reflexes (especially when you try to brake) make your left leg reach out for the non existent clutch in an automatic and cause you to press the brake pedal. It happened to me the very first day that i bought my TSI and fortunately the guy who was behind me was very quick to brake as well or else i would've been rear ended.

This is a good point, I wondered when someone in the forum requested that there should
be a dead pedal for the Polo GT TSI. It doesn't make sense to have a dead pedal when
the clutch is non-existent and your left leg is practically unused for normal driving purposes(atleast this is what I think).

Half the problems will be sorted out if people don't use their left leg on automatics IMHO.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:01   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
This is a good point, I wondered when someone in the forum requested that there should
be a dead pedal for the Polo GT TSI. It doesn't make sense to have a dead pedal when
the clutch is non-existent and your left leg is practically unused for normal driving purposes(atleast this is what I think).

Half the problems will be sorted out if people don't use their left leg on automatics IMHO.
I disagree, we need a dead pedal for automatics far more than we need one for a manual where the left leg is always busy. In fact, a big fat one. Resting the left foot on the gentle incline of the dead pedal is far more relaxing than resting the foot flat on the floor. The left leg can happily stay put - I usually use it to tap to the music!

After a few trips, within a few days, the 'Phantom' will vanish.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 10:11   #2692
Team-BHP Support

It’s more of a personal preference. Personally, I would prefer to rest my foot on an incline instead of a flat floor.

When I test drove the facelift Polo TDI, although I was able to rest my foot on the dead pedal, it was brushing against the clutch each time I took the left foot on and off the dead pedal. It was rather inconvenient. I would assume this wouldn’t be the case with the TSI.

But the irony - the dead pedal did not make it into the facelifted Vento. Not even the TSI!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 10:45   #2693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I disagree, we need a dead pedal for automatics far more than we need one for a manual where the left leg is always busy. In fact, a big fat one. Resting the left foot on the gentle incline of the dead pedal is far more relaxing than resting the foot flat on the floor. The left leg can happily stay put - I usually use it to tap to the music!

Dead pedal is a must for me too, be it manual or automatic. In fact my Laura has a dead pedal to the right of the accelerator pedal too. It allows the foot to rest at a proper angle.

Thankfully the facelifted Polo TSI has a dead pedal, otherwise I would have to go around scouting for one!
Old 9th March 2015, 11:27   #2694
BHPian

Right then:

I am enjoying the TSI, although driving it in Trivandrum traffic is an exercise in frustration.

There are two things I would like to do though:

1) A roof light for the rear passengers.
2) A light for the boot.
Any ideas where I can get this done without trashing the warranty?

One other thing I notice:
In the Vento, you can switch off the car and turn off all the lights, and then when you switch on either the right or left turn indicators, the park lights turn on for only that side.

In the Polo, when I do this, I can hear the Lights On warning, but the lights themselves remain unlit. So the only option when parking at night is to leave all the running/park lights on. Any idea how to fix this?
Old 9th March 2015, 13:17   #2695
Distinguished - BHPian

I did my first long drive in the GT TSI. Did Bangalore - Shimoga - Bangalore in a day. I had just returned from a week long 1200 km drive to Belgaum and Kolhapur in my Laura TSI when some some urgent work cropped up in Shimoga the very next day. I decided to take the Polo GT this time mainly due to the convenience of the Automatic. I hate it when there are too many speed breakers on any road and in a manual transmission car it takes a toll on your left leg due to the constant clutch input that is required. An AT shines in such a situation.

First thing to hit me of course was the lesser engine power compared to my Laura. Since I was driving the Polo straight after a long drive in the Laura my calculations and estimations were all awry. I would see a gap and hit the acc pedal thinking I would close it. I would end up not even getting close. The D mode is very happy upshift to the highest gear possible. It gets to D7 near about 70 kph and then stays there unless you really stomp the pedal. As a result the rise from 80 kph to 120 or so takes ages and can put one to sleep. By the end of my journey I started losing patience and after every speed breaker I starting slipping into sports mode to get up to speed quickly. The sports mode is a life saver in this car and is a must. It is very very useful while overtaking too.

Its a refined cruiser and I really enjoyed the drive despite the problems I had switching to a smaller car so quickly from a really fast car. The DSG box is fantastic and I really did not miss the stick at all. The steering weighs up nicely at speed and brakes are quite adequate for normal driving. VW has tuned the suspension perfectly for our roads. Yes, it is a bit too soft for spirited driving and there is a bit of body roll if you push it hard left to right, but the ride quality is something to cherish. Straight line stability is good and generally as a driver you feel in control of things. Mileage achieved was 14 kmpl with Speed 97.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 13:29   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

OK, people have different styles of driving I suppose and I am perfectly fine with that.
But I was trying to draw attention to the most common problems people will have
trying to use the rally driver feet(left foot) on the brakes. Ideal separation for road driving

left foot == clutch only
right foot == time sharing between brake and throttle.

With the clutch gone left foot is free and you choose how it should be placed.
But I agree... it is matter of getting used to.. No objections there buddy.

But the real use of dead pedal is more than just cosmetic, for an engaging drive scenarios dead pedal makes going on and off the clutch an easy thing if placed correctly. That is without developing bad habits of resting foot on the clutch in anxiety OR lazing it on the flat floor and later to find yourself either too late to hit the clutch or got stuck below the pedal.

I am just noting that dead pedal is more functional on the manual than the "dead" name it
seems to suggest but if you think a busy driver keeps the left foot on the clutch I can't argue more

We all have our own styles of getting used to... thats what manufacturers are
trying to do.... train you to get used to by not giving one. But finally
they might be forced to give(or have given already??) no harm in having one.
We call that feature as backward compatability
Old 9th March 2015, 15:05   #2697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
There are two things I would like to do though:

1) A roof light for the rear passengers.
2) A light for the boot.
Any ideas where I can get this done without trashing the warranty?
1. You can source the rear cabin light used in the Vento (part number - 6Q0947291A) along with the reinforcement frame (part number - 6Q0867599G), make a cut in the headliner and install the light. You can extend the wiring from the front cabin light.

Some Russian links to help you:

a. https://www.drive2.ru/l/4743021/

b. https://www.drive.net/l/881049/

2. You can source the OEM boot light (part number - 6L0947415), connect one wire to ground and the other to the cabin light’s door ajar input.

Let me try finding out the electrical schematic of the boot lamp. Will let you know.

As for warranty issues, most of the VW service centers would be averse to attempt these modifications however small they may be. Some even make a fuss for changing interior bulbs to LEDs! My understanding is that, as far as you attempt these with proper OEM parts, end connectors and shield the harness/cables with automotive tape (Tesa 51608 types), there won’t be any issues in the long run.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:35   #2698
BHPian

Hi Fellow TSI owners
Apologize if this issue has been discussed as am unable to go through the thread on the mobile as it keeps closing when I search pages and am in midst of changing my home computer which started showing up like it was constipated.

In stop go traffic, I normally shift to N if the wait is long. Since last two days, once I move to D I hear a humming sound and feel a soft vibration on the steering. Once I revv it disappears. Happened a couple of times, and has rattled my nerves. Any pointers please!!!
Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:36   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Hi Fellow TSI owners
Apologize if this issue has been discussed as am unable to go through the thread on the mobile as it keeps closing when I search pages and am in midst of changing my home computer which started showing up like it was constipated.

In stop go traffic, I normally shift to N if the wait is long. Since last two days, once I move to D I hear a humming sound and feel a soft vibration on the steering. Once I revv it disappears. Happened a couple of times, and has rattled my nerves. Any pointers please!!!
Thanks.
Never experienced what you mentioned. Suggest you visit the workshop if the sound/vibration is prominent.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:23   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Since last two days, once I move to D I hear a humming sound and feel a soft vibration on the steering. Once I revv it disappears.
Hi Vishyvish,
In my car, i get the vibration from the steering remote (panel).

When you get the vibration keep your hand on the panel, and apply little pressure.

I am not sure whether your problem is related to the remote panel. Anyways just give a try.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks