Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 16:39   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

This may not hold good in all scenarios. I am looking to replace my small run around which currently is a Swift zxi. Looking at the traffic it is going to be an auto gear box. Looked at the Polo GT Tsi & the Micra CVT in May. While the GT is leagues ahead in fit n finish and outright performance, the Micra CVT's Japanese origins were more comfortable to go along with given my familiarity with Nissan's CVT in my offshore drives the Altima & the Maxima vis a vis the on going travails of the 7 speed DSG in VAG cars. This even when there are no reported issues with this gear box in the Polo GT's being sold in our markets.

In my case, the news of the Jazz being launched with the now proven CVT that also does the duty in the Brio however spoiled the party for both the Nissan and the VW. I have not seen the new Jazz let alone having driven it. The Honda reliability however emanating from previous ownership of OHC type 1, the NHC & the current experiences with ANHC CVT in the extended family have decided the matter in favour of the Jazz.

So sometime it is not just about performance but about proven reliability and the resultant peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTON.D View Post
Just read a review about the new Honda Jazz at

That made me smile wide . This may be a good time for VW to flank Honda by promoting GT TSI vigorously. Surely a number of prospective Jazz buyers will be tempted to choose GT TSI when they see the huge difference between both.
Old 14th June 2015, 21:49   #2867
BHPian

The long awaited upgrade. And then some more. A sample is here. More in a couple of days after its fine tuned with good images.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-asldx7xqan2epbzkxeje8tltpd3kicqqryj7zbjvolom.jpg  

drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 23:05   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
The long awaited upgrade. And then some more. A sample is here. More in a couple of days after its fine tuned with good images.
Is it an aftermarket projector? a GTI headlamp? better bulbs? HID kit? Curious to know. The stock ones are really bad and the light is insufficient for my usage. I wish to change them soon.
Old 15th June 2015, 01:05   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Is it an aftermarket projector? a GTI headlamp? better bulbs? HID kit? Curious to know. The stock ones are really bad and the light is insufficient for my usage. I wish to change them soon.
Its the morimoto mini D2S(X lens) retrofit kit sourced from TRS, USA. Yes, i agree the stock lamps are pathetic, especially the pre-facelift ones.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:02   #2870
BHPian

Can someone help me with resetting the audio speed limit warning? It is factory set at 30 kmph. I could not manage with following instructions in the manual.
Old 24th June 2015, 05:41   #2871
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post
Can someone help me with resetting the audio speed limit warning? It is factory set at 30 kmph. I could not manage with following instructions in the manual.
Try these, I'm not in town so can't check on my car
When not driving - use left/ right buttons to navigate to speed limit on the MFD and long press the OK to reset and up/down to increase decrease.

When driving - use left/ right buttons to navigate to speed limit on the MFD and press OK to set it to the speed you are doing at that point.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 11:21   #2872
zen
BHPian

Just tried it out in my car. Scroll through the MFD till you get to the speed chime setting, press OK twice, the speed value (30 k/hr) should start blinking, set the required speed using the arrow keys and press OK.
zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 12:14   #2873
BHPian

Gave my GT for 2nd service (30,000 Km). Was facing issue with DSG jerks (Acceleration in 2->3 gear). I was able to successfully demonstrate this during the road test with the technician. They are going to contact VW on it for further instructions

Would update the group on it.
Old 28th June 2015, 17:24   #2874
BHPian

At last folks. Was having a very busy schedule and could not update. As with my previous post, Have done some major upgrades to my ride.
1. Projector lamps
2. Auto IRVM
3. Anti glare ORVM with indicators

First, the projectors. Got the morimoto mini D2S (X lens) sourced from retrofit source, USA. One of my friend who travelled from there carried it for me. The shopping experience was flawless. I even got a 10% discount coupon from them. So the mini D2S with Osram Xenarc lamps landed a total cost of $340 after the discount. The problem was getting it retrofitted. I'm definitely not a DIY person. I couldn't find any reliable source in chennai and found a good person in Salem, but again my tight schedule didn't allow it. Atlast decided to take the chance and zeroed in on a person i researched online. Though the experience can't be termed perfect, it was a learning curve for both of us and some how managed to finish it to my liking except for some minor tweaks which i might do it some other time.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150621_17_57_37_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150621_17_59_30_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150628_17_14_18_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150614_20_24_27_pro.jpg

Next is the rear view mirror. One thing that really drives me crazy is the glare from high beams behind me. I wish there is a dipping light at the back for these morons. So went ahead and purchased the Gentex auto dimming mirror from amazon UK which my brother got for me when he returned from there. Also got the antiglare side view mirrors from aliexpress. That was a pleasant transaction and my first one at aliexpress, and boy that was confidence inspiring. Got the aspherical mirror with integrated LED turn indicators for $75 + free shipping. The seller was very co-operative and though he didn't have the product listed, accomodated my request and sent one for me.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150621_17_55_40_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150621_17_56_17_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150621_17_56_32_pro.jpg

The aspherical lens is really useful and has increased the field of view wider. Now that occasional crazy zig zaging bikes and cars won't miss my eye.

So thats it for now. Have inconvenienced a few members in the buildup to this as its my first major mod. Thanks to Ganesh, Insane devil, Ventoman.

Last edited by drpudhi : 28th June 2015 at 17:31.
drpudhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:00   #2875
BHPian

Friends, I was trying to use a 64 GB (Transcend Micro XC) card (using an usual adapter) into the TSI's card reader slot. It says it is reading (so it recognises) but returns with 'no media'. But I have a lot of music on the card as it was earlier in my phone, and I confirmed the same by putting it into my PC.

Is there a certain requirement for example that the media files have to be in the root folder of the card, or that it needs certain type of formatting? Or that it allows only upto a certain storage size?

Can you help me with some pointers based on your experience? Thanks.
Old 29th June 2015, 15:09   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Try these, I'm not in town so can't check on my car
When not driving - use left/ right buttons to navigate to speed limit on the MFD and long press the OK to reset and up/down to increase decrease.

When driving - use left/ right buttons to navigate to speed limit on the MFD and press OK to set it to the speed you are doing at that point.
I tried doing all of it, but doesn't work. There must be a certain sequence of doing it that I am not getting right.
Old 29th June 2015, 19:41   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I was trying to use a 64 GB (Transcend Micro XC) card (using an usual adapter) into the TSI's card reader slot. It says it is reading (so it recognises) but returns with 'no media'. But I have a lot of music on the card as it was earlier in my phone, and I confirmed the same by putting it into my PC.

Is there a certain requirement for example that the media files have to be in the root folder of the card, or that it needs certain type of formatting? Or that it allows only upto a certain storage size?

Can you help me with some pointers based on your experience? Thanks.
I figured this one out - you need to format FAT and not exFAT (which is default for SDXC cards), and remember the HU doesn't recognise m4a, so if like me, you have purchased lots from iTunes, you'd need to convert to mp3 to enjoy your songs.
sachinchavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 19:46   #2878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I figured this one out - you need to format FAT and not exFAT (which is default for SDXC cards), and remember the HU doesn't recognise m4a, so if like me, you have purchased lots from iTunes, you'd need to convert to mp3 to enjoy your songs.
So the RCD 320 does recognise 64 GB SD cards?
Old 30th June 2015, 01:41   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Gave my GT for 2nd service (30,000 Km). Was facing issue with DSG jerks (Acceleration in 2->3 gear). I was able to successfully demonstrate this during the road test with the technician. They are going to contact VW on it for further instructions

Would update the group on it.

Got my car back. Total bill was around 10k for 30k kms service. They took one day to rectify the DSG and now the DSG jerks are reduced. The gearbox has greater tendency to hold onto gears D2 and D3.
Old 30th June 2015, 03:51   #2880
blr
BHPian

Does anyone who recently took delivery of the TSI got their cars delivered with the Goodyear tyres? I did the PDI for my car and noticed the tyres to be Goodyear (84T rated) and the sales rep says the TSI comes fitted with these tyres as well as the Apollos.

Not sure if the tyres are OEM for this car of they got switched at the dealership!

Most Viewed