Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 11:32   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Your 1.8 TSI AT Superb came with paddle shifters?? I thought they were standard only on the 3.6L FSI version!
Yup the 1.8TSI AT had paddle shifters and so did the 2.0TDI 6 speed DSG.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:50   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
. A paddle shifter is more intuitive in that respect. You might not want it 99 percent of the time, but the 1 percent makes your drive a little more fun. Its nothing you cant live without.
Totally. VW could have actually ditched the +/- shifter on the stick shift and provided this as paddle shifts. Nothing against VW not offering paddle shifters. If it was there, it comes as a added bonus for the driver.

Does the paddle shift work in D mode on a City AT?

Another forum member discovered it by surprise that the paddle shifters work in D mode on his Kizashi. So if you find the CVT taking its own sweet time to drop a gear, just hit the paddle shifter to get into the correct gear. So much better than taking your hand off the wheel to pop a gear.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:58   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I see some members talk about Paddle Shifters.

Could someone briefly jot down top 3 instances when the Paddle Shifters could come handy ? In what ways would the Paddle Shifters add to the driving experience ?
Paddle shifters are 60% fun and 40% real usability, I urge you to test drive a DSG equipped with paddle shifters and you would never question the need of them!

I use the paddle on my City AT regularly, because it gives me a better sense of control, as I am new to ATs and ATs have a mind of their own.
Though the paddle on the City are pretty nifty, using the paddles on a Jetta or even a Passat is a different experience altogether, I am still to drive a petrol DSG with paddle shifters though!

Last edited by 599gto : 1st May 2013 at 12:02. Reason: typoooo
Old 1st May 2013, 12:39   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
I use the paddle on my City AT regularly, because it gives me a better sense of control, as I am new to ATs and ATs have a mind of their own.
How many gears are there in City AT? And now think of managing 7 gears of DSG manually
Old 1st May 2013, 12:46   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Does the paddle shift work in D mode on a City AT?

Yes it does, but it starts shifting on its own after a few seconds, that's if you don't pull a paddle. Works cool when you want to ready the car for an overtaking. In the S mode the car shifts on its own at a higher rpm, till you pull a paddle, after that it waits for you to upshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
How many gears are there in City AT? And now think of managing 7 gears of DSG manually
As far as I know the City has a 5 speed AT, so managing 7 gears wouldn't be an issue to me, may be its confusing to some.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd May 2013 at 11:51.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 13:05   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Save up more for a City? If you need a boot then yes. Otherwise why would you make a statement like that? Without driving the Polo tsi I can tell you it will be faster than the city, it has a better gearbox, the high speed dynamics and handling will be far better, the braking will be better, and there is esp.

Paddle shifts can most probably be added for about 35k, the steering wheel will have to be changed.
Completely agree with you akshay. Unless we are comparing volume of metal per unit rupee made available to the customer for a car, I see no reason why we should be comparing the City/Amaze to the Polo GT.

I agree that the City AT is one of the best options in its segment but IMO a buyer is probably clear in his mind whether he wants a hatch or a sedan before he walks into a dealership.

Also for the Polo GT the segment first safety features are something that most of us are probably ignoring. Safety features probably do not rank high on our wishlist/checklist when we purchase a car. I would like to find out the percentage of cars sold with ABS/Airbags etc Vs cars sold without any. I bet the former should be at the most 25% of the total sales.

The perception that all petrol hatches should be priced <= 6 lakhs should go !!
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 13:13   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
.... I am just not sure if you can call it a replacement for your Stile. It is going to be a bit of a side step in terms of power. What you stand to gain is the gearbox and safety net. The GT might out handle your Stile and that's about it. A suitable replacement for your Stile will be a Laura Tsi or a Kizashi..... Was the Stile 1.6 a 5lac car in 2007?
The Polo TSI's on-paper performance is similar to my Stile. But I did find the turbo boost and torque addictive. I could do that all day! Also loved the DSG. A Laura TSI would be even better, but won't be able to afford it. :(

I had bought my Stile for 4.5 lakh OTR (after discounts) in 2007.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:23   #308
BANNED

Polo 1.2TSI just about manages to stay with a Ezen in terms of fun/performance .
The Polo offer great handling , breaking and torque (is addictive) compared to EZen.

I just think now how much ahead of times was a Ezen .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 1st May 2013 at 13:25.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:53   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This car will definitely sell for a 1 lac discount 6 months down the line as I had predicted before. I am still holding on to that conviction. Wait and watch...
I am totally with you. VW cant move this without substantial discount - maybe not 1L but definitely ~50K+.

And for those questioning my comparing City to this earlier - well maybe i didnt make the point clearer. This has a turbo with DSG alright - but it has only 100 odd PS. Even the old 1.6 Polo & Palio Sport had similar figures - no way is this so ahed of them just because of DSG and TSi. If it had the 1.4TSi under the hood - maybe.

And DSG only option in hot hatch ? C'mon, how can you not offer a MT option for a enthusiast focussed car. DSG is good - but nothing beats the feel of a good MT box.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 14:02   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
And for those questioning my comparing City to this earlier - well maybe i didnt make the point clearer. This has a turbo with DSG alright - but it has only 100 odd PS. Even the old 1.6 Polo & Palio Sport had similar figures - no way is this so ahed of them just because of DSG and TSi.
Actually the TSI makes a big difference, even it has smaller displacement or lesser BHP, the difference is in the enormous torque which this small engine offers. Not everyone amongst us keep using the cars in drag races, but we drive the cars in real time driving conditions. And its the city driving conditions where we spend our most of the time with our cars.

Now what matters in the daily day city driving conditions? The low end performance and the torque, not the BHP or displacement. This is where this car outshines over the cars like H City which have poor low end power delivery. Not only the city traffic, but having such torquy engine improves driving pleasure on highway as well where one needs quick power boosts while attempting some crucial overtakings.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st May 2013 at 14:07.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 14:04   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am totally with you. VW cant move this without substantial discount - maybe not 1L but definitely ~50K+.
I agree. Plus, the drop in petrol prices will make it even more tempting.

Quote:
And for those questioning my comparing City to this earlier - well maybe i didnt make the point clearer. This has a turbo with DSG alright - but it has only 100 odd PS. Even the old 1.6 Polo & Palio Sport had similar figures - no way is this so ahed of them just because of DSG and TSi. If it had the 1.4TSi under the hood - maybe.
See, it's pretty simply. You're not reading the part immediately after 100 bhp. A car may make 100 bhp, but it's the RPMs they arrive at that matters. The 1.6 is the Polo and the Palio were high revving engines. This means you'll need to rev the car and really give it some stick in order to extract all those 100 horses.

Now, with TSI and EcoBoost tech, you don't need to keep the engine at higher RPMs as most of the torque and power is available much lower in the rev-band, and as a result you get peaky performance with minimal throttle input. You also save some fuel in the bargain!

Quote:
And DSG only option in hot hatch ? C'mon, how can you not offer a MT option for a enthusiast focussed car. DSG is good - but nothing beats the feel of a good MT box.
True. I would have liked a manual too.

But I don't think it makes business sense keeping two transmission options when they are hardly going to sell anyway. Sell one as a halo car, and see where it goes from there. You never know, it's possible that they widen their options list.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st May 2013 at 14:05.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 14:24   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Well from this statement I am pretty sure you have never driven a DSG or a TSI car. Like the people above me mentioned, its not only the power figures. This is a smaller block, hence lighter and also more fuel efficient. The torque is higher than all those engines, and is almost diesel like and that makes all the difference. The DSG is a few generations ahead of Hondas auto boxes, take a td of both and see for yourself.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:35   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Actually the TSI makes a big difference, even it has smaller displacement or lesser BHP, the difference is in the enormous torque which this small engine offers. Not everyone amongst us keep using the cars in drag races, but we drive the cars in real time driving conditions. And its the city driving conditions where we spend our most of the time with our cars.

Now what matters in the daily day city driving conditions? The low end performance and the torque, not the BHP or displacement. This is where this car outshines over the cars like H City which have poor low end power delivery. Not only the city traffic, but having such torquy engine improves driving pleasure on highway as well where one needs quick power boosts while attempting some crucial overtakings.
Will this Polo be a star in daily driving conditions - YES
Is a hot hatch defined by how it performs in daily driving conditions - NO (IMHO)

A hot hatch is one which should put the smiles on your face once you take it out on open roads, if you want good daily city driver - buy any modern hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
See, it's pretty simply. You're not reading the part immediately after 100 bhp. A car may make 100 bhp, but it's the RPMs they arrive at that matters. The 1.6 is the Polo and the Palio were high revving engines. This means you'll need to rev the car and really give it some stick in order to extract all those 100 horses.

Now, with TSI and EcoBoost tech, you don't need to keep the engine at higher RPMs as most of the torque and power is available much lower in the rev-band, and as a result you get peaky performance with minimal throttle input. You also save some fuel in the bargain!
The part where you have to work the engine and the MT box to derive the max out of a engine is what makes a car exciting for me. I am not saying this car is underpowered or anything - but a hot hatch with just 100 horses ? Well we have had similiar powered hatches for around a decade now - so is it really a hot hatch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well from this statement I am pretty sure you have never driven a DSG or a TSI car. Like the people above me mentioned, its not only the power figures. This is a smaller block, hence lighter and also more fuel efficient. The torque is higher than all those engines, and is almost diesel like and that makes all the difference. The DSG is a few generations ahead of Hondas auto boxes, take a td of both and see for yourself.
Sorry, but you are wrong. I dont own a TSi/DSG alright - but i test drove the Laura DSG as well as TSi quite a few times last year when i was debating to sell my current car and buy one out of those 2. Both are excellent technologies - Laura TSi is one of the most fun cars around right now for the buck and DSG is super smooth for a AT. You are right by saying Honda AT cant hold a candle to it.

BUT - thats not the point i am making. Polo TSi is a good car all right - but not a Halo / Hot Hatch which everyone seems to be making it out to be. Laura TSi is so much fun coz it has so much power/torque coupled with a excellent gearbox.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:39   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

The things I like about the Polo 1.2 TSI

The TSi engine. I have driven the 1.8TSi over 50K kms and the engine is a gem. The mod potential is really an icing on the cake for the TSi engines. The best thing about the TSi engine is the power delivery across a wide range of rpm and the ability to be very frugal as well.

The DSG box. Reliability issues aside, automatic is a boon in a city like Bangalore. This is probably the best auto tranny for a hatchback available in India now. Hoping that the torque being 175Nm in this car, equipment failures would be minimal. The enthusiasts in me always wishes for a manual but in the city I really miss an automatic transmission.

Safety feature like ESP is unheard of in a hatchback in India. This can really make a difference in highway drives and it’s a nice feature to have.

Climate control AC. Nothing special but it’s a convenience

Things I wish it had:
  • Better tyres with probably 16 inch alloys
  • Leather interiors
  • Slightly different front end to distinguish it from the other Polo’s (Headlamps with DRL and a honeycomb grill)
  • Sportier suspension
Having said that, most of the things in my wish list can be added over time so its not a deal breaker.

P.S: Just came to know from Peter (Pete's) that with a simple remap the power is 120HP with 200NM torque. They are testing a car as I type this. Now, it may not be a wise thing to do on a new car with a problem prone DSG box. But eventually once the warranty is over, its a great option.

Last edited by robimahanta : 1st May 2013 at 14:45.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 14:47   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The part where you have to work the engine and the MT box to derive the max out of a engine is what makes a car exciting for me. I am not saying this car is underpowered or anything - but a hot hatch with just 100 horses ? Well we have had similiar powered hatches for around a decade now - so is it really a hot hatch ? .
Alright. I get it. You want a genuine hot hatch. Something like a Polo 1.4 GTI or even a Golf. And you do have a point. A decade has come and gone and we've had only 2 100 horsepower hatcbacks, if you don't count the Chevy SRV. But the Indian market wants different things. They want fuel efficiency and affordability. Which the Polo 1.4 is not. A car like that will be easily over 10 lakhs. The Indian GT itself just under 10 OTR, and there are unhappy people.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks