Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 14:19   #3301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Had a heart in the mouth situation today.

I was coming down a steep slope (for Pune folks its the Chandani Chowk slope towards Kothrud). This is probably the steepest road I have ever driven in city limits. The road is so steep that its used only to come down, many vehicles will struggle to climb up!!

The length of the slope is less than 100m. The speed limit is 10k/h. I usually drive down in 2nd gear using engine braking, its impossible to do 10 kmph on this road.

So today I was driving the Polo for the first time on that road. Braked at the start of the drop, switched to Manual mode and went from 4 to 3 to 2, then let go of the brakes... behold the car accelerated in 2nd to about 30-40kmph, I had to use foot brakes just before the end of the slope to slow down. DSG didn't upshift still there was significant speed up in 2nd gear, not something I expected.
Next time I am going to try 1st gear and see if I use engine braking to good effect. I am trying to keep the revs under 4K and 1st gear on that section would surely go beyond 4K.

Anyone experienced this before? I will need to be extra careful coming down Mall parking ramps.
Everyday I go down a steepish ramp to my underground parking. I prefer to use engine braking to control the descent. In the TSI I have to choose manual and 1 to do this because it's too fast in 2. 1 is slow and 2 is fast, the ideal speed would be somewhere in the middle but it doesn't exist AFAIK.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:23   #3302
BHPian

We bought a GT Tsi in May-13 soon after its launch and I've been using it for the last 3-4 months (until now it was at home and was used as a 2nd car). I've noticed that there is a a noise which comes while accelerating from standstill just after braking like in a bumper to bumper scenario. This happens more frequently when surrounding temperatures are high and in extreme traffic conditions (haven't experienced anything recently as the cold in Delhi is starting to set in). The noise is like a "kkkrrrrrrrr" as though the brake calliper hasn't released and yet the car is accelerating and arises from the front right of the car. Not able to figure out what it is. Tried pointing it out during the last service, he said it was rectified but the problem still persists. Has anyone else experienced something similar and any idea on how to rectify it?

Additional question - Want to change the headlights (stock ones are really poor). Any suggestions? I would prefer white lights and not to change any wiring - simple plug and play.

Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:15   #3303
BHPian

Can anyone please confirm how much engine oil does the car take? How much does VW charge you?

Thanks!
Old 29th October 2015, 16:25   #3304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Additional question - Want to change the headlights (stock ones are really poor). Any suggestions? I would prefer white lights and not to change any wiring - simple plug and play.

Thanks
For headlights, you can go with Philips H7 Xtreme Vision bulbs. These are rated at 12V/55W which is the same as stock bulb rating and hence will not require any wiring change. Also, these bulbs come in both white and yellow lights. This is assuming yours has the double barrel headlight assembly with independent bulbs for high and low beams.

If it is a single barrel headlamp, then I think the replacement would be Philips H4 Xtreme Vision rated 55W/60W.
Old 29th October 2015, 19:31   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Can anyone please confirm how much engine oil does the car take? How much does VW charge you?

Thanks!
This is the link to my 30k service bill. They charged me for 3.9 L.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3774050
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 06:03   #3306

The 2nd car is finally home.
Polo GT TSI joins our 2-year old Vento TSI. Took delivery yesterday.

The car is nice and compact. Still to explore the new features (CC, etc)
Love the steering wheel.

That's all for now. Will post observations as and when I can.

Regards,
Raghu
Old 31st October 2015, 20:13   #3307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_blr View Post

Woah raghu_blr, 2 cars with the same engne & gearbox??

Congrats on your latest pick and welcome to the GT Club. I know its way too early, but you must be the best person to provide a comprehensive similarity/differences between 2 German engineering marvels.

Please post an ownership review at the earliest with lots of pics
Old 1st November 2015, 12:28   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I am not sure about the "good price", but you would definitely get better service(along with the free advice e.g. Comparison of Continental with Yoko) in Madhus. Nikhil(Bhpian) owns this.

Even I had swapped my tyres(to P3ST) in Madhus.
Hi Shetty, Can you please guide me to some knowledgeable, but not so expensive place where I can get some small fitments/modifications done in Bangalore, for Polo? Vagtune charges very heavy for the accessories and I guess their installation will also be equally expensive (They are asking for nearly 70k for GTI steering with paddle shifters ). So I prefer to source it from Aliexpree, but then from where can we get it installed? Also, are there shops with very good knowledge regarding installation and advice regarding the various updated parts like the updated GTI steering with cruise control inbuilt in the steering, etc?
Any pointers will be really helpful.
Old 1st November 2015, 19:56   #3309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys dont buy steering wheels from unknown sources. Even vagtune is selling replica stuff. Actual OEM GTI wheels are expensive, all the cheap stuff are replicas. It is around USD700 plus the shipping and customs. I will post some pictures of OEM and replica GTi steering wheels soon. Its very hard to differentiate unless you see them side by side.
Robi, Can you please help us in understanding how to differentiate between the originals and replicas. Aliexpress sells it for around 30k INR, whereas Vagtunes is quoting 70k. Will vagtune give the genuine one one or we cannot trust their's also?
If you know a genuine seller in Bangalore, pl share the details. Also can you point some good knowledgeable shop in Bangalore where we can get some accessories fitted (installation only as purchase will be from aliexpress). Pl do share if you know someone.
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:12   #3310
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_blr View Post

The car is nice and compact. Still to explore the new features (CC, etc)
Love the steering wheel.

That's all for now. Will post observations as and when I can.

Regards,
Raghu
Congratulations Raghu!
Looking forward to your observations on the engine, gearbox, brakes and handling with respect to the Vento.
Old 2nd November 2015, 18:57   #3311
BHPian

I have been hearing a hissing sound everytime the car goes over a bump. is this normal?? it is only audible when the windows are down. This is on a new car with less than 1k on the odo.
Please advise.
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:25   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
I have been hearing a hissing sound everytime the car goes over a bump. is this normal?? it is only audible when the windows are down. This is on a new car with less than 1k on the odo.
Please advise.

The hissing sound that you hear while going over bumps is the suspension doing its job. All Polo's make these hissing sounds. The number of kilometers on the odometer or the age of your Polo has got nothing to do with this sound and there's no reason to get worried about it.
chase_nt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:23   #3313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Vagtune charges very heavy for the accessories and I guess their installation will also be equally expensive (They are asking for nearly 70k for GTI steering with paddle shifters ). So I prefer to source it from Aliexpree, but then from where can we get it installed?
Hi petrol_power,
Sorry for responding late. As Robi had mentioned in one of his posts original GTI steering wheel is pretty expensive(above 80K). Even I am contemplating about buying one(Flat bottom steering with paddle shifters) for long time. But 80K is too much for me.

I am thinking of buying it from ebay(http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK6-MK7-S...4FycdJGB4lFRvA). There are many people (like drpudhi) who have bought from this seller, and pretty happy with the product. I guess it costs around $400. Make sure that the steering comes with the airbag.

In case you know your service advisor(VW dealer), he could help you with the installation. It would be a direct swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Also, are there shops with very good knowledge regarding installation and advice regarding the various updated parts like the updated GTI steering with cruise control inbuilt in the steering, etc?
Any pointers will be really helpful.
Sorry, Except Petes and Vagtune, I do not know any other experts in Bangalore.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:36   #3314

To start off, how did we decide on the Polo GT TSI?
Wife was looking for a hatchback as the sedan was proving to be a pain parking when she takes it out. Unlike me, she needs to be traveling within the city and use street parking. Her job demands this. Petrol+Auto was non-negotiable.

After all sorts of deliberation on her end, she chose Micra CVT as her ideal car. Other choices were, Celerio AMT, Jazz CVT, Brio A/T, Hyundai i10G
  • Celerio/Hyundai were shot down for lack of airbags in AMT/AT version.
  • Jazz and Brio was a no-no in terms of looks.
  • Ford had not yet launched new Figo during our thought process and wife did not want a Ford (don't know why).
Micra is a good looking car. Both wife I liked the looks and were considering a test drive. On-road price in Bangalore was about 8.6L.
Micra has all the basic safety features (2 airbags, ABS, EBD, brake assist). It may also be a very capable car in its own right, we will never know.

This is when I asked the question? Why not Polo GT TSI?
Yes it is 2L more. But in terms of performance, Polo GT-TSI will beat any other hatch (may be not New Ford Figo on paper). And you have familiarity with drive capability. She was hesitant about the price difference.

Then came the next question, if price difference can be put aside for now, would you go for it as your car? The answer was a unequivocal Yes!

So it was decided and we went and booked the car. Did not even test drive it. The SA at VW Palace Cross was very helpful in taking the booking and promising the earliest possible delivery.

Cut to Oct 26, SA called and said he has a Red GT-TSI as we requested. We finished up payment and waited for check clearance and RTO stuff.
Picked up the car on Oct 30 evening (Friday) as was deemed a good day by the elders in the family. Plates awaited.

Now to the comparison/difference. Polo GT TSI vs Vento TSI (most of them are cosmetic)
  • Fabric seats vs leatherette seats
  • No seat pocket vs seat pocket - el cheapo VW
  • No front/back arm rests vs both arm rests
  • Passenger seat not movable from back vs movable from back
  • No leather wrap on parking brake vs leather wrap - el cheapo VW
  • Smaller flat bottom steering wheel vs round larger steering wheel (I like the new steering wheel)
  • wrap around steering feels like art leather vs feels like real leather (both may not be leather at all; I am no expert)
  • 1 key FOB + 1 plain key vs 2 key FOBs - el cheapo VW
  • headlight knob is cheap plastic vs decent plastic with metallic garnish
  • no rear A/C vs 1 rear A/C duct
  • cooled glovebox vs not cooled glovebox
  • smallish OVRMs vs good size OVRMs (guess this is for sporty looks; the shape is good; coverage debatable)
  • electrically foldable OVRMs vs manually foldable (one thing I don't understand is why did VW take away reverse action; very much needed in traffic with 2-wheelers)
  • black mirrors and black spoiler vs body colored mirrors (sporty looks)
  • turn indicator on OVRM vs plain vanilla OVRM
  • good rear view in internal mirror vs average rear view in internal mirror (may be because of hatch and angle/curvature of glass)
  • no rear wheel thud when going over bumps vs quite a loud thud at times
  • better maneuverability vs acceptable maneuverability (sedan has a backside as my wife puts it)
That's it for now.

Will post again in about a week's time regarding gear shifts (up/down jerkiness). Vento has some quirks.

Regards,
Raghu
raghu_blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:42   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi petrol_power,
Even I am contemplating about buying one(Flat bottom steering with paddle shifters) for long time. But 80K is too much for me.
Thank you for the details. I received a quote of 80k from Vagtunes today :( . 80k is too much for me also. So the only option is to go online. VW service team helping customers , I dont know how to get that done. Even the sales part was a horrible experience for me. Anyways let me talk to the service guy.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2015 at 21:21. Reason: Formatted quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks