Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 02:22   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Boys and girls, does anyone know where our park assist unit is situated? I wanted to replace the stock non-OPS unit with an OPS unit.

(HINT: Front sensors also being installed!)
Old 11th November 2015, 11:59   #3347
BHPian

Has there been some sort of change in the engine of the current model's of the GT TSI? The reason i am asking is because my 2013 GT TSI's recommended fuel is a minimum 95 RON.

Photo of the recommended fuel in my 2013 GT TSI
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-201510151420.jpg

However based on this photo by graaja the current 2015 GT TSI has a minimum requirement of 91 RON.

Photo courtesy of graaja's review of his 2015 GT TSI
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-petrol-pressures.jpg

Did VW just change the stickers inside the fuel lid to appease customers who are apprehensive about finding 95 RON fuel in their respective towns? I bought the GT TSI without knowing that it requires minimum 95 RON petrol (i found out only after i opened the fuel lid) and i've been running it on regular petrol ever since because 95 RON is not available anywhere in my state let alone my town. Anyone who has knowledge about this please clarify.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 12:35   #3348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Boys and girls, does anyone know where our park assist unit is situated? I wanted to replace the stock non-OPS unit with an OPS unit.
Behind the left tail lamp area. Open the boot and pull out the boot liner at the left corner. There's a hole (a bit inconspicuous) on the boot liner through which you can access the tail light's spring loaded screw through it.

You will see the OPS unit screwed to the body.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2015 at 08:48.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 17:54   #3349
BHPian

Hi, Just got these details, hence thought of sharing, for those looking for a GTI steering wheel.
There are two steering wheels available. MK6 and MK7 steering wheel. The one installed by The Saint and Robi is MK6 steering wheel, which has the perforated leather, is more bulky and way much better to hold and is no more manufactured (as per the research I did in internet, I may be wrong here), but I saw the same in Vagtunes, I don't know from where they are sourcing it as the new MK7 steering wheel is different. MK7 steering is the one available online from the mexico dealer vwrtuning. It doesn't have perforated leather, and is slimmer than MK6 steering.

Infact I have read in many forums that MK7 steering wheel is the result of a cost cut applied to MK6 steering and VW has reduced the good quality MK6 steering to a cost economical, cheaper to manufacture variant in MK7 variant.

Both the variants have same features like paddle shifters, red stitching, airbag, etc, but MK7 steering lost out on perforated leather and also took a slimmer size.

Pl do correct if the data I collected is wrong.
Old 11th November 2015, 18:20   #3350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
MK7 steering lost out on perforated leather
Here's the Mk7 wheel in perforated leather for the Jetta GLI:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-gli1_zpslo13adsk.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-gli2_zpsz4hdddx5.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-maxresdefault.jpg

Source: Google Images

It is significantly more expensive though. And the diameter being small is incorrect. Both measure 375 mm in diameter. I had measured them both.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 18:57   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Here's the Mk7 wheel in perforated leather for the Jetta GLI:

It is significantly more expensive though. And the diameter being small is incorrect. Both measure 375 mm in diameter. I had measured them both.
Thanks for the correction. MK7 Jetta GLI can be fitted on to Polo GT TSI ?

I didn't mean diameter, I meant thickness of the steering wheel, pardon me if my communication went as diameter.

Please clear this doubt as well; In the MK7 steering wheel picture provided in the vwrtuning link, cruise control is there in the steering wheel. Can we make it function easily if we are using that steering wheel in GT TSI or if it has to be done, lot of significant changes have to be done? Or not at all possible?
Old 11th November 2015, 19:19   #3352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not with the cruise control buttons. They may not work and would just be dummy buttons. Those snaps were shared to indicate that perforated leather is indeed possible on the newer steerings. Even Alcantara for that matter. The GTI Clubsport steering has it.

Quote:
I didn't mean diameter, I meant thickness of the steering wheel, pardon me if my communication went as diameter.
The thickness has increased compared to the stock wheel.

Quote:
Please clear this doubt as well; In the MK7 steering wheel picture provided in the vwrtuning link, cruise control is there in the steering wheel. Can we make it function easily if we are using that steering wheel in GT TSI or if it has to be done, lot of significant changes have to be done? Or not at all possible?
Not sure about that. No one has taken that chance yet. When the stalk has the CC buttons, these may not work as the CC wiring goes to the stalks' T41 connector and not to the slip ring/clock spring which provides the connections to the airbag igniter/media and phone controls on the steering.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 20:36   #3353
BHPian

Quote:

I recall seeing a MK7 steering wheel from vwrtuning without cruise buttons on the wheel and I searched again and found this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Jetta-201...UAAOSw14xWI8Q7

This wheel is similar to latest Polo/Vento.
senthils27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 22:51   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
I recall seeing a MK7 steering wheel from vwrtuning without cruise buttons on the wheel and I searched again and found this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Jetta-201...UAAOSw14xWI8Q7

This wheel is similar to latest Polo/Vento.
And this wheel is more expensive than the one with cc on the steering (440USD for the steering with CC vs 510 USD for the one without CC in steering).

Gannu, so if I take the one with CC, will it be of any issue affecting the entire system showing some errors or it will be just some 4 dummy buttons in the steering wheel which will not interfere/harm any other functions?
Because I can save some 70USD plus I know that one day you will come up with DIY for this also
Old 12th November 2015, 10:14   #3355
BHPian

Not sure about that. No one has taken that chance yet. When the stalk has the CC buttons, these may not work as the CC wiring goes to the stalks' T41 connector and not to the slip ring/clock spring which provides the connections to the airbag igniter/media and phone controls on the steering.[/quote]

Hi Gannu, Thanks for all the replies, sorry for pestering too much, please help me with the last few answers to clear all my doubts.

1) I read somewhere that the backlighting in steering will not work in the pre-facelifted Polos. Should I have to worry about it as mine is October 2015 model with CC. Will it work directly after installation without trying for various permutations and combinations?

2) Since the CC in steering will not work, will it throw some error and interfere with the overall system in case I go for the one with CC in steering (reason being steering with CC is 70USD cheaper than the one without CC. Seller claims he is offering very good discount on the steering with CC as its a fast moving one now). Or better not to take any risk and go with the one without CC in steering?

3) Should I check with the seller for any particular details or documents to check compatibility with Indian Polo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK6-MK7-S...ZT0sGR&vxp=mtr

This is the model he is talking about. Is it a direct fit or should I have to request for any other extra wiring harness/cables/accessories to make it work in our Polo. Or can I place the order for this single item without any tension and get it fitted here.
Old 12th November 2015, 11:11   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about that. No one has taken that chance yet. When the stalk has the CC buttons, these may not work as the CC wiring goes to the stalks' T41 connector and not to the slip ring/clock spring which provides the connections to the airbag igniter/media and phone controls on the steering.
Hi Gannu, Thanks for all the replies, sorry for pestering too much, please help me with the last few answers to clear all my doubts.

1) I read somewhere that the backlighting in steering will not work in the pre-facelifted Polos. Should I have to worry about it as mine is October 2015 model with CC. Will it work directly after installation without trying for various permutations and combinations?

2) Since the CC in steering will not work, will it throw some error and interfere with the overall system in case I go for the one with CC in steering (reason being steering with CC is 70USD cheaper than the one without CC. Seller claims he is offering very good discount on the steering with CC as its a fast moving one now). Or better not to take any risk and go with the one without CC in steering?

3) Should I check with the seller for any particular details or documents to check compatibility with Indian Polo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK6-MK7-S...ZT0sGR&vxp=mtr

This is the model he is talking about. Is it a direct fit or should I have to request for any other extra wiring harness/cables/accessories to make it work in our Polo. Or can I place the order for this single item without any tension and get it fitted here.[/quote]

It's a direct fit. CC may work. If you disable it from VCDS for the stalk and enable the steering CC and pull the necessary cables to the bcm from the steering connector. It's doable but not done before in India.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 12:30   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
It's a direct fit. CC may work. If you disable it from VCDS for the stalk and enable the steering CC and pull the necessary cables to the bcm from the steering connector. It's doable but not done before in India.
Thank you Frank, now let me try to find a good installer in Bangalore
Old 13th November 2015, 00:59   #3358
BHPian

Has anyone installed an aftermarket double din stereo such as JVC/Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood on the polo and has a working set of steering wheel controls?
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 01:59   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Has anyone installed an aftermarket double din stereo such as JVC/Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood on the polo and has a working set of steering wheel controls?
Yes, I know many. There's a company called DHC that makes radio steering interfaces for all cars.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...07406026,d.dGY

Have a look ..
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 04:14   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
I have a pioneer 7 inch touchscreen unit in my Vento, using DHC pro steering control interface and it works perfectly. Its been 2 years and i have not faced any issues so far.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed