Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 19:59   #3511
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
The harness is required for making it a plug and play on a pre facelift model. I've just spoken to J&J, haven't gotten anything done by them yet. Will contact Autopsyche and check with them. Thanks

Rick, from vwrtuning is quoting 545 USD (415 + 130 Fedex shipping) for a GLI wheel. Any advise on whether it is a good deal or not would be highly appreciated.
eBay link for the product

Cheers
Hi, this is the same deal that he provided me too. You can go ahead. Mine was also a pre-facelift 2013 model and the padddles work flawlessly so far (But GTI and not GLI). But i don't think that will cause any difference. Only thing to make sure is ask for a wheel without cruise control controls as am not sure if it will throw errors. The seller vwrtuning is also very knowledgeable and nice. You can ask him to confirm if there will be any issues.
drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 20:11   #3512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
What would be the cost of the rcd 510 elsewhere?
You will get the Delphi RCD510 with rear camera input for less than 150$ in AliExpress. However, if you need bluetooth function, then you have to install a bluetooth module 9W2 or 9W7. For the GT TSi, 9W2 would be enough. 9W2 would cost around $75. Reverse camera that retrofits in the number plate light would cost $25. So, you can get a full setup for about Rs.17K. Two things to note: The installation will have to be done outside the dealership - either a DIY or from a FNG. Per VW, this will void the electrical warranty. However, if you keep the original RCD310, you could easily swap it back (5 minutes job) before taking it for any warranty claims.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 20:59   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I'm planning a steering wheel upgrade for my gt tsi (pre fl fl) and thinking of sourcing it from vwrtuning on ebay - as done by drpudhi and gannu (thanks for the contact). Had a few queries regarding the same -
1) He says he has the GLI inset with him currently. Are the technical aspects of this different from let's say a GT embossed wheel?
2) He mentions he will have to set up a harness to make it a plug and play? Did the others have to get something similar done?
3) I would like to keep my warranty intact (for obvious reasons) and hence is the harness change required or is the wheel compatible without any modifications?
4) Any reliable workshop which will replace the wheel in Gurgaon? Has anyone dealt with J&J Motorworks? Are they reliable?

Thanks for the help
Hi Aditya,

We have two cost economical options - ebay.com (vwrtuning) and gcptuning.
BHPians have bought from both the sites and all of them are happy with their purchase.

gcptuning has GTI inscribed steering with white backlighting (I guess they dont have red backlighting option), but I don't know about the wiring harness required as mine is a new Polo (Nov 2015), for which I think I don't require the harness. And you will have to confirm with them for the same.

GCPtuning charges 570$ including Fedex shipping. I am planning to go ahead with gcptuning. Are you planning to buy it this week?
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 22:11   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi Aditya,

BHPians have bought from both the sites and all of them are happy with their purchase.

gcptuning has GTI inscribed steering with white backlighting (I guess they dont have red backlighting option), but I don't know about the wiring harness required as mine is a new Polo (Nov 2015), for which I think I don't require the harness. And you will have to confirm with them for the same.

GCPtuning charges 570$ including Fedex shipping. I am planning to go ahead with gcptuning. Are you planning to buy it this week?

Hi petrol_power,

Do the paddle shifters work flawlessly in this GTI steering? I am not 100% clear on the warranty voiding part as I see you with a new car going for a steering upgrade. Won't it void the warranty? If yes, then there is no point buying the extended warranty, right?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2015, 23:15   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hi petrol_power,

Do the paddle shifters work flawlessly in this GTI steering? I am not 100% clear on the warranty voiding part as I see you with a new car going for a steering upgrade. Won't it void the warranty? If yes, then there is no point buying the extended warranty, right?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
When I moved to an automatic car because of the traffic nightmares in Bangalore, the maximum I could afford was the GT TSI, hence took it. But to be true after driving it for one month, I feel I am not able to do the quick overtaking in D mode, which is required to reach the upcoming signal at the earliest as since you are also from Bangalore, you might be knowing signals are the ones which lead to long standing lines, plus some techpark exits.
Even though S mode helps in clearing this issues, I feel I am unnecessarily straining the engine in S mode and using S mode inside Bangalore traffic, and not where it is intended to use. Infact S mode has become my regular driving mode now a days. . The cabbies, pvt vehicles all are in a race as soon as the signal turns green and I have to travel 38 kms one way to my home !! and I dont want to be the last one in the signal/junctions.
When ever there is a free stretch, I should be able to rocket ahead of everyone.
Not only that, people who has used paddle claim it gives a special pleasure while cornering and in spirited drives. And I started enjoying taking corners with the GT TSI.

Tried triptronic, but somehow I am not able to get into terms with that. Many people in team-bhp have purchased this steering and says it aids drivability.
I don't know whether it will help in the way I dream, and be the first in all the signals. But I have decided to try for it.

Warranty, the reason for me to take the risk is because I have not seen even a single case of DSG failure in the Polo in the last 1 - 2 years. (Both teambhp and dealership also claims so). So I guess its pretty safe to take that risk as DSG failure is the major thing to be worried about as far as warranty is concerned. And I have not yet taken the extended warranty as it can be taken anytime within the first 2 years.

Afterall we live only once. So we have to find ways to make it the most happiest one. (Though I know if something happens and no warranty means, wife will kill me and I will have to buy some nano automatic or nano non-automatic)

Last edited by petrol_power : 16th December 2015 at 23:18.
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 00:53   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi, this is the same deal that he provided me too. You can go ahead. Mine was also a pre-facelift 2013 model and the padddles work flawlessly so far (But GTI and not GLI). But i don't think that will cause any difference. Only thing to make sure is ask for a wheel without cruise control controls as am not sure if it will throw errors. The seller vwrtuning is also very knowledgeable and nice. You can ask him to confirm if there will be any issues.
Yup, confirmed with him. There is no difference between them - all are of a similar size. Only thing is, he is charging 625 USD for the version without cruise control buttons.

Quote:
Hi Aditya,

Yes, I'm planning to purchase it this week. Could you please provide the contact of the guy you're in touch with? If he is able to work out the harness, I'll go ahead with gcptuning. Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 10:37   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm planning to purchase it this week. Could you please provide the contact of the guy you're in touch with? If he is able to work out the harness, I'll go ahead with gcptuning. Thanks
Ok, I am in touch with them through mail only - sales@gcptuning.com
I have his number, Mr Raul +5212222600129 (got it from BHPian polo_Ankit). Also you can check with polo_ankit as he has procured from them and will be having more data.

I feel gcptuning and vwrtuning, both are trustworthy sellers and we can chose from anyone. But do not proceed without confirming regarding the wiring harness. Also if you need the steering to be in piano black, gcptuning has an extra add on which covers and converts the entire brushed aluminium/chrome parts to piano black. But its quoted very high, @ 180$ just for making it piano black.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:12   #3518

Hello everybody. First post here in Team BHP and a big thank you to so many of you in this forum. It was a delight following this and some of the ownership threads as Ive waited for my GT for more than a month.

I am planning to take delivery this weekend and have a query.
Planning to upgrade to 16" BBS SR alloys and I want to choose 205/50 tires. Apart from Yokohama, I wasn't able to find other top brands manufacturing in this size. Could someone suggest good alternatives available in India?

Name:  289_6_BBS_SR_himalayagrau_seitlich.png
Views: 2152
Size:  430.2 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 23:50. Reason: Spacing before image.
Raghzz GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:51   #3519

Hi bhargavd, I got mine 6 months ago from BU Bhandari wakad. No discounts, no freebies and neither showrooms budged. Having said that, they had no reason to give a discount after seeing my smile after TD.
Had to pay the same handling charges too. I don't understand the extra drive assure zero dep fee? For me it was just the 32k amount. I didn't pay too much attention to this and just got it done through the Showroom. In hindsight could've saved 5-10k had I explored a bit.
Old 17th December 2015, 17:08   #3520
BHPian

rohn52: Thanks for the input, I hoped at least some year end discounts and falling sales should shake them from their slumber. They have discount on every model except the GTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohn52 View Post
Having said that, they had no reason to give a discount after seeing my smile after TD.
I hope I haven't made it as obvious to them. Took a test drive of Figo DCT, just made me like the GT TSI more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohn52 View Post
I don't understand the extra drive assure zero dep fee? For me it was just the 32k amount.
This would be just the comprehensive insurance without the zero dep. It would have been better to take it. Just drive carefully for the next 6 months
Old 17th December 2015, 18:31   #3521

bhargavd, I just checked and I have this in the insurance particulars:

Add:*Depreciation*reimbursement*(TA01) 2,423.68

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-insurancestuff.jpg

I am guessing this is the zero dep clause. Can someone please confirm this?
Old 17th December 2015, 19:05   #3522
BHPian

I took delivery of GT TSI last month. No discounts or freebies (just some mat and mudflap as free). The insurance quoted was 33k + 7k for that zero dip or B2B or nil depreciation or I don't know what its exactly called.

I got the same package for less than 28k when I took it from National insurance and saved 12k.
I had further reduction from 28k because of the no claim bonus transferred from another car.

So moral of the story - Dont take insurance from dealer if you have enough time to go and get by your own. This 12k, which I saved would have gone to the dealership and not to insurance as the dealer has tie up with the insurance company for the same.

Last edited by petrol_power : 17th December 2015 at 19:06.
Old 17th December 2015, 19:28   #3523
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of GT TSI last month. No discounts or freebies (just some mat and mudflap as free). The insurance quoted was 33k + 7k for that zero dip or B2B or nil depreciation or I don't know what its exactly called.

I got the same package for less than 28k when I took it from National insurance and saved 12k.
I had further reduction from 28k because of the no claim bonus transferred from another car.

So moral of the story - Dont take insurance from dealer if you have enough time to go and get by your own. This 12k, which I saved would have gone to the dealership and not to insurance as the dealer has tie up with the insurance company for the same.

Very true. As long as the insurance company has a cashless tie up with the brand all the more better.

I am taking delivery of my GT TSI tomorrow and have opted for insurance from Hdfc ergo. Not sure they have a cashless with Vw, but the difference was too much.

Hdfc has been good in hounouring claims for Hyundai and ford in my personal experience. VW not sure.
Old 17th December 2015, 19:43   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghzz GT View Post
Hello everybody. First post here in Team BHP and a big thank you to so many of you in this forum. It was a delight following this and some of the ownership threads as Ive waited for my GT for more than a month.

I am planning to take delivery this weekend and have a query.
Planning to upgrade to 16" BBS SR alloys and I want to choose 205/50 tires. Apart from Yokohama, I wasn't able to find other top brands manufacturing in this size. Could someone suggest good alternatives available in India?Attachment 1451089
I skipped on an upgrade to 16" for my Vento for the same reason: lack of tyre choices in the correct size. My issues with going to 16" were:
1) Only two popular choices I saw were the Yokohama S-Drives and the Yokohama R1. Both are sporty tires, and for me, too noisy. Especially on a TSi, I think tyres this noisy is a crime, since it introduces noise into a quiet cabin, and also drown out that engine note. You can get better tyres which offer a mix of comfort + low noise & performance in 15" (Yokohama AVS db v550, which I got, or the Continental MC5, according to some reviews), which are not available in this size.
2) You're paying >50% extra for the same tyres & same performance you could have got in 15".
3) Superior tyres, such are the Pirelli P7, for which I would have happily upgraded to 16" are not available in the Polo / Vento size.
4) You're increasing the unladen weight of the car, which means lower performance, lower mileage and lower life of suspension components. Some people also say comfort will be compromised, but the sidewall is still tall enough, so I don't think that should be a real issue, and will depend more on your tire choice. However, handling may be marginally better, because of lower sidewall height.

So, the only real benefit of 16" is aesthetics - and I'm sure the car will look a lot smarter. Now, if that matter a lot, go for it by all means

Also, you may want to look for less popular / mainstream brands, such as Hankooks, which do make some good tires - I sense you may be able to find some good options there.
bosporus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:46   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I am in touch with them through mail only - sales@gcptuning.com
I have his number, Mr Raul +5212222600129 (got it from BHPian polo_Ankit). Also you can check with polo_ankit as he has procured from them and will be having more data.

I feel gcptuning and vwrtuning, both are trustworthy sellers and we can chose from anyone. But do not proceed without confirming regarding the wiring harness. Also if you need the steering to be in piano black, gcptuning has an extra add on which covers and converts the entire brushed aluminium/chrome parts to piano black. But its quoted very high, @ 180$ just for making it piano black.
vwrtuning is offering the same GTI wheel with white backlights at 575 USD inclusive of shipping. I think I'll go with him considering he knows about the harness.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 10:07. Reason: Strictly no discussions on group buys or group orders on the forum!
aditya9567 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks