Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:00   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I just posted this on the DQ200 failures thread but since it has to do with the Polo (albeit GTI) with the 7-speed DSG thought it best to post here as well. The DSG issues can be dangerous, more so in our chaotic traffic:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3408953
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:07   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I just posted this on the DQ200 failures thread but since it has to do with the Polo (albeit GTI) with the 7-speed DSG thought it best to post here as well. The DSG issues can be dangerous, more so in our chaotic traffic:
AFAIK GTI has 1.4 TSI producing 250 nm of torque and some 130 odd bhp. Its also an older model, pre 2012.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:16   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

Interesting. Does this explain why the Indian Polo GT doesn't get the Paddle Shifters? Maybe not because you still get the Tiptronic.

Either case, I wouldn't touch VW's with those DQ200's anymore! Waiting on the launch and pricing of the GT with a manual box.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:16   #349
BHPian

The low end torque and high power is very tempting. Lots has been said about manual transmission options. I agree on that but not for performance, rather for cost. It would bring the price down and make it even more tempting.
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:54   #350
BHPian

Putting the Polo TSI with the Liva sportivo should bring up some interesting results. The Liva is about 215 kg lighter but 14 PS and 43 Nm down on power. The Liva in comparison also makes it power higher than the Polo. While in the drivability stakes, the Polo should decimate the Liva owing to better more torque and better low end, outright accelration should reveal a completely different story. In fact even though they are not in the same segment, i would like to see how it fares compared to the Honda City as well.

Like others pointed out VW should have done more to differentiate the GT from its avergae brethren, just like what Toyota has done for the Sportivo.

Last edited by balenopower : 2nd May 2013 at 15:57.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:26   #351
BHPian

I had a test drive of the TSI (along with Amit G) at BU Bhandari. I've been harping about this again and again... but every-time I visit BU Bhandari, I get a feeling that these guys would be the best dealers an average person would run into. Lucky you VW India!
The vehicle was not registered, hence, was a short drive along the Abhimanshree lane. I have never driven an automatic earlier, but am sure that the smoothness and speed with which the DSG works would be not too common to find. The engine and the accompanied transmission is an engineering marvel and should be complimentary. However, for me, an optional manual transmission would give me more of a reason to consider this as an option to swap my 1.2 TDI. The test drive really left me impressed... and if I didn't have to worry about my home loan EMI, I would have definitely started considering this car as the next buy. That's the initial reaction: I love this engine, I love the transmission! But, but this is the first reaction. The moment they utter the price, one is jolted back into Reality.

Now, despite the smoothness and the flat torque delivery, I would still prefer a 1.5 or 1.6 TDI with manual transmission. Reason is... even after driving the TSI, I do appreciate the feel, handling and torque of my diesel engine. Maybe diesel has gotten into me too far now, and I guess subsidy by GOI adds to my preference. Moreover, any given day, the overall appeal of a TDI would overshadow TSI (yeah.. you can say for the masses! But that's what is commercially viable)

So, from an owner of 1.2 TDI, I would still wait for 1.5 or 1.6 TDI as the next car to be.
Kill me for making this statement petrol-heads! ;-)
ruchir911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:50   #352
BHPian

The Polo GT TSI brochure in the VW website says that warranty can be extended by 2 years at extra cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
The dealer says that GT has 2yrs unlimited kms warranty but no extended warranty on offer as of now. Can anyone at other places confirm this?
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:23   #353
BHPian

Can't help wondering, would the 1.4 TSI + manual have cost the same as the 1.2 TSI + DSG? That would have been an out and out hot hatch.

I guess the 1.2 TSI + DSG figures in VW's future India strategy, so introducing a premium Polo with this combo gives them a chance to market-test it.

Last edited by amitg79 : 2nd May 2013 at 17:27.
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:52   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Unfortunately even members of premium forums like TBHP are not able to come out of typical indian mindsets. How else can we expect to get reactions like this to a product like Polo TSI? VW should be foolish to position this as a mass product in a price conscious country like India? We are forgetting that VW is trying to launch a sporty car in a country where we are made to believe that extra stickering and alloys can form a sport variant? This car is not for an average joe and if there are some enthusiasts willing to part this kind of money let them buy it..!! It is pathetic to compare it to cars like Honda city on price front.I agree VW should have provided more like rear disc brake, body kit etc for this price.
Maybe I'm missing a point here, but pray tell us why it would be "pathetic" for anyone to compare two cars belonging to the same price bracket? Does being a petrol-head automatically translate to being turning a blind eye to everything else?

IMHO VW has not done anything groundbreaking here. And let us not pretend that they are the first to launch a proper sporty car in India. We have had (and still have) several examples of sporty cars - over and above the sticker jobs - which offer a much better bang for the buck.

I for one would've happily paid the current price, if the Polo GT came with atleast rear discs, a slightly different exterior (lights, body-kit et-al) and above all a manual gear-shift.
MaddyCrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:03   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
How would you feel if you heard that the Ford was launching the Figo with a 1.6 that churned out 120PS?
I was feeling tizzy with thought of a 1.6L Figo till 1 Year Back !!

The Moment Ford Announced the 1L EcoBoost Producing 125 PS of Power - I knew thats the engine they need to plonk in the Figo.

The Eco Boost is again a TC'ed Petrol and few other Ford specifc forums have already gone crazy with a Remap to this engine (Even a Stage 1 Remap to bring some 140 PS and 230 NM)

But knowing ford for all these years, this TC'ed Figo would be a distant dream only !
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:14   #356
BHPian

Took a TD today. The car drives great. The DSG is a beauty, especially in the S mode. The steering is responsive and has a good feel to it (city driving conditions). AC worked very well in Delhi heat. The engine sound that filters inside the cabin is sweet. I think the pricing is just about right for the kind of refinement levels and superior build quality VW is providing. Booking one on Sunday for a friend
blacknebula is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:05   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
But knowing ford for all these years, this TC'ed Figo would be a distant dream only !
I don't think Ford will risk to experiment the 1.0ltr EcoBoost or any other powerful engine in a car like Figo which is based on a very old platform which is dying now. No doubt the Figo is quiet a capable chassis, but still they won't and they shouldn't do that. But I do believe the next generation Figo (or any other future hatchback) will get the Ecoboost if market report about the Ecosport (EcoBoost version) is impressive.

But then, there will be people who will complain its a very small 1.0 ltr engine or its a 3 pot and blah..blah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
The steering is responsive and has a good feel to it (city driving conditions).
I heard from a VW owner petrol-head friend (who learnt it from his friends at VW workshop) that the mechanism of VW steering is such that it disconnects from the electric power motor and becomes a full manual steering after a certain speed, thats why it feels connected all the way. Does anyone have more insight on the steering mechanism?
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:30   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I heard from a VW owner petrol-head friend (who learnt it from his friends at VW workshop) that the mechanism of VW steering is such that it disconnects from the electric power motor and becomes a full manual steering after a certain speed, thats why it feels connected all the way. Does anyone have more insight on the steering mechanism?
I don't know about the technicality and I do not own a polo. I own a Jetta. And the only chink in the armor is the steering. Its well weighted but no feedback whatsoever. I would say it sucks when compared to my fiesta 1.4TDCi. I drove the new fiesta recently and thats what an EPS should be like.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:49   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I don't know about the technicality and I do not own a polo. I own a Jetta. And the only chink in the armor is the steering. Its well weighted but no feedback whatsoever. I would say it sucks when compared to my fiesta 1.4TDCi. I drove the new fiesta recently and thats what an EPS should be like.
If you drive a similar car with manual steering, you will find that the steering becomes lighter at high speed comparative to slow speeds but it doesn't mean it gets disconnected. On the other hand some EPS and HPS keep assisting the steering all the time, thats why we find some power assisted steerings which remain heavy. Fords and Fiats are example of that.

BTW do you have new generation Jetta or the older one? Because about the Jetta, I heard its also Electro-Mechanical speed sensitive steering (EPS basically).

Here is how the VW website explains this : http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/innov..._steering.html
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:57   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you drive a similar car with manual steering, you will find that the steering becomes lighter at high speed comparative to slow speeds but it doesn't mean it gets disconnected. On the other hand some EPS and HPS keep assisting the steering all the time, thats why we find some power assisted steerings which remain heavy. Fords and Fiats are example of that.

BTW do you have new generation Jetta or the older one? Because about the Jetta, I heard its also Electro-Mechanical speed sensitive steering (EPS basically).

Here is how the VW website explains this : http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/innov..._steering.html
I own the new Jetta (2012). The steering is way better than say a hyundai (I also own an i20) but there is no feedback at all. Its pretty light at city speeds and weighs well at high speeds but it's the feedback that's missing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks