Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 09:24   #3586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think this most likely some dsg quirk associated with cruise control. I typically always use S on 2 lane highways where I pretty much regularly cruise at 80-90 in S mode. I do this to ensure an instantaneous response especially doing overtaking and also for a nice peppy drive. I have driven ~25k till now and never has it gone beyond S4 or max S5 when cruising between anywhere 70-100. I have never seen it go to S7 ever. ( even tried to get it there once on a controlled road).

So while the dsg adapts to driving style, I don't think it will adapt so much as to make both modes feel the same and do an S7.

This is how my car behaves pretty much when i am driving in the S mode. I drive the car like how a GT needs to be driven. i have never seen a S7 either ever . I usually go back to D mode when using the cruise control. however out of curiosity i tried S mode and cruise control and thats when i saw a S7. Even when i presses the pedal the gear downshifted to S4 immediately. Could anyone with the new GT confirm the behavior as well.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:04   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post

Anyway I don't want to have a crazy crashy bumpy ride. So if we have someone here who runs 17" on stock shocks it would have been nice to get a feedback.

You can ask bhpian 'Speedkills' about his experience with 17s. He's got a polo and a Vento running on 17" and they look hawt! Especially the polo.
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 10:15   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post

You can ask bhpian 'Speedkills' about his experience with 17s. He's got a polo and a Vento running on 17" and they look hawt! Especially the polo.
Prashanth (SpeedKills) does not have the Polo 1.6 with him Suraj25. He sold the car long time back

But yes, his Blue Vento TDI is running on 17's and they look wicked.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 20:09   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Thanks for that I can also see Prasanth's post of one TSI running on 17".
Old 4th January 2016, 21:05   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
This is how my car behaves pretty much when i am driving in the S mode. I drive the car like how a GT needs to be driven. i have never seen a S7 either ever . I usually go back to D mode when using the cruise control. however out of curiosity i tried S mode and cruise control and thats when i saw a S7. Even when i presses the pedal the gear downshifted to S4 immediately. Could anyone with the new GT confirm the behavior as well.
I feel that its a good thing for S mode to behave like D mode when in cruise control and change the nature back to S mode as soon as we touch the accelerator/brake pedal. Its a good thing right? What is the point of gear holding onto 1st gear and cruising at 80 in cruise control mode!!!
Anyways I am also curious now. Not in station now, but will check it once I am back.
Old 4th January 2016, 22:10   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I feel that its a good thing for S mode to behave like D mode when in cruise control and change the nature back to S mode as soon as we touch the accelerator/brake pedal. Its a good thing right? What is the point of gear holding onto 1st gear and cruising at 80 in cruise control mode!!!
Anyways I am also curious now. Not in station now, but will check it once I am back.
This is a known phenomenon with all DSG gearboxes. When cruise control is enabled in s mode, the gearbox works like D as CC is supposed to increase efficiency while cruising. Though it shows S on MID due to gear lever placement, it uses the D mode map. The moment CC is disabled, S mode gets activated. There are a number of European forum threads that have discussed this in detail. Can google it for details.

Last edited by drpudhi : 4th January 2016 at 22:11.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 23:29   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
This is a known phenomenon with all DSG gearboxes. When cruise control is enabled in s mode, the gearbox works like D as CC is supposed to increase efficiency while cruising. Though it shows S on MID due to gear lever placement, it uses the D mode map. The moment CC is disabled, S mode gets activated. There are a number of European forum threads that have discussed this in detail. Can google it for details.
Thanks drpudhi. i was going through the forums as well. especially after recmendations to reset my ECU. Thanks for clearing it out.

On a side note. You belong to the same place as me. maybe next time i am in erode , we can have a mini team bhp meet there too.
ngauravmalhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 23:40   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Booked the Polo GT TSI for my sister-in law family from VW Calicut, Kerala. This is a replacement for the manual Brio that they have. Usage pattern is mostly in city use with occasional long trips within Kerala and to Bangalore. A premium quality car was the main requirement along with reasonably good performance.

The Jazz, Figo, Maruti's AMT's and most recently, the Baleno were considered. They had used my Vento TSI for about a month for more than 1000 km of City and Highway driving a few months back. And honestly, once you experience the TSI DSG combo for a reasonable amount of time, it is difficult to be satisfied with anything else. In addition, a good solid build and premium feel was also important. The lack of rear space is not a deal breaker as they have an Etios going strong at 80K which is driver driven and is the 'beater' car.

Color is Carbon Steel Grey and we need the delivery only in March. OTR is 9.86 Kerala. No offers, but are ok with outside insurance and have promised to meet any outside quote. Need to see how that turns out.
Delivery required in March only?, but then why so hurry in booking it now. Anyways no offers now, so better to wait right. Just in case any offer comes up. Regarding the outside insurance, people have got in 20K range, which most probably cannot be met by VW dealer insurance.
Old 5th January 2016, 10:14   #3594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Delivery required in March only?, but then why so hurry in booking it now. Anyways no offers now, so better to wait right. Just in case any offer comes up. Regarding the outside insurance, people have got in 20K range, which most probably cannot be met by VW dealer insurance.
Forgot to mention. There is ~2 month waiting period. Standard Response by VW SA's. Good demand for the TSI but we get very limited cars. Did not probe too much. My brother in law is not in town and will be back only in March. So he wanted me to be around for the booking. That was another reason.

We went on Dec 31st to see if there were any offers at the time of booking. The SA said that none for the TSI and if there is anything during the month of invoicing/delivery, we will be eligible for that. Also, it was any booking amount and fully refundable. So did the booking. In addition, we are also interested in the new Compact Sedan- Ameo. If that launches by March and turns out well (means Polo like build and finish with a 1.0 TSI +DSG), may switch to that. The SA made a note of this also.

Agree on the insurance. My question was more to ensure that there was no constraint on outside insurance. (My friend was recently denied a booking in Elite Ford Bangalore when he said he may take insurance from outside)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th January 2016 at 10:15.
Old 6th January 2016, 16:42   #3595
BANNED

A pic from the BIC:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160106031158.jpg

Never seen beyond S6 even @ 193. RPM is at 5k. S6 tops off at 5k RPM.

Car neither gains speed nor changed into this mythical s7 for me.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2016 at 16:53.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 08:43   #3596
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing abnormal here. The car is equipped with a 7 speed gearbox. The manual clearly states, that the gearbox will not shift into 7th gear which is strictly for cruising, while in S mode, as the top speed of the car is achievable only on S6. However if you engage cruise control, definitely it will upshift to S7 and then immediately downshift several gears as you brake or deactivate and accelerate hard. ALL THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. Even for the Octavia TSI.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 10:19   #3597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Instead,
1. Get a retrofit @ RetroRides Delhi (Frank has done it)
2.Buy from Lumen Systems bangalore (Ankit has done it)
3. Buy OEM Valeos (Vikram has done it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
I would not suggest retrofitting as it requires a lot of patience & most of the retrofitters do half assed jobs. I would highly recommend Lumen systems as I'm happy with the service provided...
I would like to thank H_Dogg72 and polo_ankit for patiently answering lots of questions on the Headlight upgrade.

Here is a quick update.

I had two choices. The first was the retrofit way with FXR 3.0 BiXenons, that FrankMehta has chosen. The second was the after market Eagle Eye headlights from Lumen's sytems that polo_ankit has in his car.

I wanted the FXR 3.0 BiXenons for the performance, but at the same time, was discouraged from the amount of work involved in sending the original headlight assembly to Retrorides, get the projectors fit and then install them here. There were so many unknown variables like alignment, wiring harness etc., which could introduce many issues during the process.

The after market headlight assembly from Eagle Eye would solve these issues. Though the performance would be definitely far superior to the stock halogen headlights of the Polo GT TSi, compared to the FXR3.0, the performance would definitely be a notch lower.

So, I decided to compromise a little on performance and go with after market assembly.

Yesterday, I had a long call with Vinod from Lumens Systems. He too agreed that the from performance point, FXR3.0 is preferable, and from aesthetics point, Eagle Eye is preferable. As I did not want to go into the trouble of removing my OE headlight assembly and ship them for a retrofit, he suggested another option. Use the headlight casing of previous generation Polo GT Tsi (the H4 version), and retrofit the FXR3.0 BiXenons. He also said a few TBHP'ians have done this. So, I am thinking of taking this option.

Can some TBHP'ians who have done this provide some feedback on how the performance of FXR 3.0 is? Is the alignment good?

Also, this FXR3.0 comes with a halo, and also there is an option to go with a flexible DRL strip. When the indicator is turned on, the DRL strip changes color to amber and works as an indicator. I have not yet decided if this will be good. Has anyone done this? How does it look?

I would like to finalize the details today, place the order, and drive down to Bangalore to get it fixed.

Greatly appreciate inputs on this.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:34   #3598
BHPian

Finally received a long awaited package. Going to get it installed at Autopsyche during the weekend. Sorry for the number of pics and bad quality. Was taken in a hurry.

Will update with pics, buying experience and all details once installed. Can't wait
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wheel-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by aditya9567 : 7th January 2016 at 10:51.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:02   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Finally received a long awaited package. Going to get it installed at Autopsyche during the weekend. Sorry for the number of pics and bad quality. Was taken in a hurry.

Will update with pics, buying experience and all details once installed. Can't wait
Congrats, I am also receiving my GTI steering wheel today . Can anyone from Bangalore point a few places where I can get it fixed. BHPian Ventoman fitted it from Adigas Automobile, but had some issues during the installation. Is there any other good place in Bangalore other than the dealer?
Pl suggest.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 12:14   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would like to thank H_Dogg72 and polo_ankit for patiently answering lots of questions on the Headlight upgrade.

Here is a quick update.

I had two choices. The first was the retrofit way with FXR 3.0 BiXenons, that FrankMehta has chosen. The second was the after market Eagle Eye headlights from Lumen's sytems that polo_ankit has in his car.

I wanted the FXR 3.0 BiXenons for the performance, but at the same time, was discouraged from the amount of work involved in sending the original headlight assembly to Retrorides, get the projectors fit and then install them here. There were so many unknown variables like alignment, wiring harness etc., which could introduce many issues during the process.

The after market headlight assembly from Eagle Eye would solve these issues. Though the performance would be definitely far superior to the stock halogen headlights of the Polo GT TSi, compared to the FXR3.0, the performance would definitely be a notch lower.

So, I decided to compromise a little on performance and go with after market assembly.

Yesterday, I had a long call with Vinod from Lumens Systems. He too agreed that the from performance point, FXR3.0 is preferable, and from aesthetics point, Eagle Eye is preferable. As I did not want to go into the trouble of removing my OE headlight assembly and ship them for a retrofit, he suggested another option. Use the headlight casing of previous generation Polo GT Tsi (the H4 version), and retrofit the FXR3.0 BiXenons. He also said a few TBHP'ians have done this. So, I am thinking of taking this option.

Can some TBHP'ians who have done this provide some feedback on how the performance of FXR 3.0 is? Is the alignment good?

Also, this FXR3.0 comes with a halo, and also there is an option to go with a flexible DRL strip. When the indicator is turned on, the DRL strip changes color to amber and works as an indicator. I have not yet decided if this will be good. Has anyone done this? How does it look?

I would like to finalize the details today, place the order, and drive down to Bangalore to get it fixed.

Greatly appreciate inputs on this.
Just a small doubt. You would be mainly using Jetta for Highway night runs. So the reason to upgrade in Polo should be for mainly aesthetics right. So as you have mentioned eagle eyes will give that special make over to the car, in that case you should think about it more IMHO.

And I think ankit_polo's DRL changes color to orange indicator. So he can give more information about the same.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks