Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 06:50   #3661

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

The ignition key slot is not "smooth". Some times I have to apply some force to twist the key and start the car. i cna clearly feel something is not perfectly aligned. On home locks a simple drop of singer machine oil solves the problem, wonder what they will do for a car ignition keyhole.
That's because you might have mildly altered the locked steering wheel position while getting into your car. Just adjust left or right a little and the key lock twist will become smooth again.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:28   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghzz GT View Post
That's because you might have mildly altered the locked steering wheel position while getting into your car. Just adjust left or right a little and the key lock twist will become smooth again.
umm.. I park on level ground and never lock the steering by turning full left/right. But I will git it a try.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:32   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
umm.. I park on level ground and never lock the steering by turning full left/right. But I will git it a try.
I guess in the new age cars, no need to turn the steering to the full extent to get it locked. I saw in my friend's I20 in which it got locked in just a very small turning of steering after the key is pulled out.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:36   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I guess in the new age cars, no need to turn the steering to the full extent to get it locked. I saw in my friend's I20 in which it got locked in just a very small turning of steering after the key is pulled out.
Ok.. thanks for the tip. I will surely give this a try.

BTW, my car is going in for a 7500 check this Wednesday. Its been 3.5 months and odo stands at 6300. I have 1000+ km trip coming up in a couple of weeks and want to have the service done earlier and still have 8-10 days for "checking" if they broke anything
Old 8th February 2016, 10:22   #3665
BHPian

Guys, HELP!

I just love the GTI tail lamps fitted in a few cars on the forum and the detailed DIY tutorial thread by @Gannu_1 was indeed a god sent.

What i would like to know is will the said GTI tail lamps fit the facelifted Polo? Are the connectors and shape of the tail lamp mounting locations any different in pre and post facelift? I haven't seen any facelifted models fitted with the GTI tail lamps, hence the doubt.

Also i hear that the said tail lights if purchased from UK are RHD versions, meaning it would be plug and play with no other wiring alterations needed. The fog lamp and reverse light thus would be in their original positions as per the indian car. As against certain wiring alterations which need to carried on if the same lights are purchased from EU. Is this actually the case?

Thanks
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 11:04   #3666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
What i would like to know is will the said GTI tail lamps fit the facelifted Polo?
Yes they will.

Quote:
Are the connectors and shape of the tail lamp mounting locations any different in pre and post facelift?
The shape hasn't changed but the connectors have. They have become smaller and slimmer.

These are the new connectors which are different for the LHS and RHS:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-15244_1.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-16218_1.jpg

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2895
Size:  264.3 KB
(Source: Google Images)

You will need a pair of adapters to retrofit these to the current models. Or slice and solder them.

Quote:
Also i hear that the said tail lights if purchased from UK are RHD versions, meaning it would be plug and play with no other wiring alterations needed. The fog lamp and reverse light thus would be in their original positions as per the indian car. As against certain wiring alterations which need to carried on if the same lights are purchased from EU. Is this actually the case?
Yep that's right.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 11:29   #3667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I have never experimented to see how many possible lock positions there are on any car, but it is usual for the wheel to lock with the steering straight, which is, apart from steep-hill roadside parking, how it is usually left.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 13:48   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You will need a pair of adapters to retrofit these to the current models. Or slice and solder them.
Thanks a ton @Gannu_1 , as usual a life saver

I have already made arrangements to procure UK based GTI tail lamps and also a pair of spring loaded wingnuts (part number taken from your DIY thread).

Are the required adapters to install the GTI tail lamps in the facelifted Polo available easily. A pointer towards the same would me mighty help

Once the above points are covered, i take it that the swap would be a simple plug and play! Or am i still missing something?

Thanks again,
cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 8th February 2016 at 13:49.
Old 8th February 2016, 14:04   #3669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are the required adapters to install the GTI tail lamps in the facelifted Polo available easily.
I have no clue about that really. If the Jetta/Passat tail lights use these connectors, your service center can help you source them but will be expensive as I found out recently for a 2 pin connector for the coolant expansion reservoir. Source it from eBay Germany or elsewhere.

These are the part numbers: 1S0 972 706, 6C0 972 706.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 08:43   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
These are the part numbers: 1S0 972 706, 6C0 972 706.
Thanks again @Gannu_1
In a recent development, read somewhere that the latest version of GTI Tail Lights are a direct fit on the facelifted car with slimmer wiring connectors. I need to check on them and confirm. But then again, if these lights are procured from EU, i reckon the wiring alteration needed to power the fog and reverse lamps will still have to be made to have them work on the indian car.

Cheers
Old 10th February 2016, 21:57   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nice to hear from you, bottle. I hope your change of car was voluntary, not caused by flood or any other untoward happening. Did you go for the petrol auto or the diesel manual?

I can only afford a GT by spending capital, which reduces income. My wife will dead against spending this much. It may yet still be i10-and-be-happy-to-have-a-new-car.

We'll see

What is the delivery time on GT in Chennai at the moment? Does anyone have any 2016 OTR pricing information yet? I'm not in a hurry. The next facelift might have happened before I'm ready to sign on the line! Ola autos are getting me from place to place
It was a voluntary change, Car is a year old now. Changed because I was sick of Chennai traffic.

I got mine delivered in 3 weeks you can push for an early delivery. Not sure of the OTR price now.

You can purchase an extended warranty for about 13k which covers faults including gear box for an extra 2 years so that's 4 years of peace of mind. VW don't seem to be fussy from what I've heard

Take your wife for a TD and she herself will push you to change the car
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 23:17   #3672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Take your wife for a TD and she herself will push you to change the car
The car is written off and gone. So we are buying from scratch again.
Old 11th February 2016, 07:30   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any 2016 OTR pricing information yet?
In Cochin it costs 10.19 OTR without extended warranty so it could be a bit more expensive in Chennai I guess :( You could save a good amount on insurance if you are arranging it directly, though it will be still around 10.10-10.15 on road. I had to compromise on the 2016 model and went ahead with 2015 due to the 50K price hike. Infotainment system supports mirror link only with iPhone as per the VW sales team or they were not able to make others work.
Old 11th February 2016, 14:39   #3674
Distinguished - BHPian

A few days ago there was a newspaper ad offering free insurance for a year and free extended warranty. I guess that covers the price hike.

Would certainly shop around for insurance otherwise. Sadly, I have no NCB to carry forward, due to my only claim having been the gig one: the flood write-off of the car.

Still in no hurry to rush out and buy. If I do spend this much then it is Polo v ecosport. Summer updates (and more price rises?) might have come by the time I do buy.

Believe it or not, it has even occurred to me to buy a private auto, just to get back on the road (I cannot and will not ride a two-wheeler of any sort) but then I might as well get a Nano!
Old 11th February 2016, 16:16   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago there was a newspaper ad offering free insurance for a year and free extended warranty. I guess that covers the price hike.

Would certainly shop around for insurance otherwise. Sadly, I have no NCB to carry forward, due to my only claim having been the gig one: the flood write-off of the car.

Still in no hurry to rush out and buy. If I do spend this much then it is Polo v ecosport. Summer updates (and more price rises?) might have come by the time I do buy.

Believe it or not, it has even occurred to me to buy a private auto, just to get back on the road (I cannot and will not ride a two-wheeler of any sort) but then I might as well get a Nano!
Those and any other offers are for the normally aspirated petrol 1.2 and the 1.5 diesels.

No offers on the GT .

Most Viewed