Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 20:21   #3721
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hello all,

This is my first post as my second incarnation at TBHP. Thanks to this thread's posters and the official review for the wealth of information on this amazing car. I just (about a month ago) got the GT TSI from VW Palace Cross. I had booked in Dec 2015 but was insistent about getting a 2016 model so had to wait almost 35 days before one got allotted. Luckily I got the "old" 2016 model and not the one with the touch screen infotainment unit and other minor changes which I feel is not worth the price hike since. And I had majorly overblown my budget (5-6 Lakhs).

Here I have detailed a few thoughts.

Buying experience:
Hats off to VW Palace Cross, Bangalore for a no hassle buying experience. Had a minor issue with me opting out of the floor mats from the essentials package but this was sorted out thanks to my SA (Shivaprasad).

Driving experience:
Love it! I am now feeling the money was well spent.
Few small issues:
I sometimes face the D3 to D2 jerk but I think I can live with it. I am reading the manual religiously and have covered about 75%. Reading the manual is like sprinkling salt on a wound - so many nice feature missing in the Indian variant. Most missed as per my opinion: Boot light, Anti-theft alarm system, cargo conveniences such as strap-on points.

Couple of questions:
  1. Can the head rest (rear seat) be removed completely? To fold the back seat flush (after folding the seat cushion forward) we need to remove the headrests - however hard I try the head rests won't come off after the highest position (I did keep the notch pressed).
  2. I usually don't use AC during short winter drives but keep the windows rolled up and let outside air in and in dusty/smoky patches I switch to re-circulation mode. The moment I do this the AC comes on automatically! Is there is a way to disable this (possibly via VCDS)?

Upgrades planned:
  1. 3D floor mats (done).
  2. Leatherette seat covers.
  3. Android-based touch screen head unit. I have ordered this and will report once I get it and install it.
  4. Boot light. Nothing fancy, just planning to fix a battery-operated puck LED light. I have ordered this as well.

And finally a request.
Does anyone living in North Bangalore have the VCDS cable to adjust some setting in my car? I thought of buying the cable but I think I really don't need it beyond the settings I want to set permanently.
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 20:24   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
@polo_ankit
Disinfection was done during first service due to high dust factor. The appointment is at Andheri and lets hope the issue is resolved. .
Hi folks an update

After extensive checks as proclaimed by the SA, they felt the cooling coil had to be replaced. Same done under warranty in two days. The problem seems to have been resolved. All in all, a very good experience with the service level this time at the Andheri workshop.
Old 25th February 2016, 20:55   #3723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Can the head rest (rear seat) be removed completely? To fold the back seat flush (after folding the seat cushion forward) we need to remove the headrests - however hard I try the head rests won't come off after the highest position (I did keep the notch pressed).
You need to insert the key (or something small and flat) on the slot of the second latch after pulling the headrest to the top most position to get it off the slot. Ditto for inserting it back into the slot.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-12.jpg
(Source: Google Images)
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 21:04   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
3D floor mats (done).
Hi Sanspatil.

Welcome back to team-bhp.

Are these the maxspider 3d mats. i am trting to source them for me in hyderabad and all the shops here have them for the regular polos . They do not have any provision for the dead pedal in he GT TSI. Is this the case in ur mats too. if not cud u lemme know where u got them from and how much did they cost u. Do let me know in case if they are other brands. As long as they are black.

Thanks.
Old 25th February 2016, 23:09   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You need to insert the key (or something small and flat) on the slot of the second latch after pulling the headrest to the top most position to get it off the slot. Ditto for inserting it back into the slot.
Thanks @Gannu, will give this a try tomorrow morning. I'll be getting the art leather seat covers fitted so it's good to know that the head rests can be removed - though I guess the fitters would know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
Hi Sanspatil.

Welcome back to team-bhp.

Are these the maxspider 3d mats.
Thank you. No I got Star 3D mats from Amazon here. It's black and the quality is good. However it doesn't cover the dead pedal and isn't a perfect fit for the new Polo. However given the price I am happy with it. I bought it for about 2100 but noticed it was selling for about 1400 last week - absolute VFM price!
Old 26th February 2016, 01:04   #3726
Distinguished - BHPian

I never kept the headrests in my old Polo, and, second time round, I am realising why: far too much of the RVM view obscured.
Old 26th February 2016, 05:16   #3727
BHPian

Hello all, this my first post after taking delivery of the new 2016 Polo GT (Candy white).
It is a looker ! This is intended for use by my better half as a daily runabout ( and me on Sundays).
This comes with the auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers and the touchscreen audio system.

My point of concern is that the touchscreen display started becoming garbled when the car was being switched off. It was just a black screen with multiple vertical lines. It used to go away after a few seconds. After half an hour if usage on a short drive , while switching off the car, it again became garbled with multiple horizontal and vertical lines. It didn't go away even on switching on and off the car repeatedly.

All this drama occurred at 8:PM , about 2 hours after taking delivery of the car!

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with the audio system? The other functions are all normal with only the display becoming garbled.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:33   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with the audio system? The other functions are all normal with only the display becoming garbled.
I think this may due to static (electricity, not noise ). I have had this problem with the display on the instrument cluster when I wiped it with a dry cloth. This was during the dry winter season. However given you are in Chennai (high humidity) and assuming you weren't wiping it I am not sure it's the same issue. What you can do is when you see this problem just place your palm flat on the touch screen gently and see if the garbling reduces or changes. If it does it's most likely a static issue. It's actually quite annoying on the instrument cluster - not sure if VW could have done something about it.
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 09:53   #3729
zen
BHPian

Anyone interested in a second hand GT TSI in and around Goa might be able to get their hands on a 6 month old one for about 7L soon from the dealership as the owner is trading it in for the 2016 model. Heard this from someone at the dealership while I was there and don't have any further details.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:58   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
I think this may due to static (electricity, not noise ). I have had this problem with the display on the instrument cluster when I wiped it with a dry cloth. If it does it's most likely a static issue. It's actually quite annoying on the instrument cluster - not sure if VW could have done something about it.
After a sleepless night of worries about the new car, I went to start the car the first thing in the morning. I switched on the ignition and started the engine in one go, before the display could power on and the display powered on to the normal mode!

I then switched off the car after a minute of idling and switched on the ignition to the first position and waited for the display to show the clock screensaver. Then I switched on the radio and when it started playing FM , switched on the engine.

The display went berserk again!
But the FM station was still playing. I assumed the problem was just with the display and pressed on the display where I would normally to choose another FM station, and it switched station.

I then tried most other functions with the FM and USB audios and found that inky the display was not OK but functions were.

I don't know if I should feel happy or sad ??!!
Old 26th February 2016, 10:57   #3731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't know if I should feel happy or sad ??!!
Can you post some pictures of the inky display? Maybe other 2016 TSi owners can comment if this is the normal behavior or a fault. I would also suggest you take it to the dealer and get this looked into. If the HU is faulty, then they will get it replaced under warranty.

And welcome to the TSi club. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles of happy and safe motoring!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 11:13   #3732
BHPian

These are the pictures of the garbled display.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_074735.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_074740.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th February 2016 at 12:08. Reason: Inserted images inline.
sunsetorange is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 11:25   #3733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This for sure is a defect. Take it back to the dealer and get it replaced.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:39   #3734
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1480565

Attachment 1480566
Ohh there is no display, just a screen!! Immediately get it replaced please.
Old 26th February 2016, 16:49   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! That sure isn't static. It's either a loose connection from the display to the main board or the screen itself is damaged. The dealer/ASC should replace that without second thoughts.

Most Viewed